Radioactive Therapy For Hyperthyroidism

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Onyx was off the meds for 22 days b4 the I-131. In her case I found her body was metabolizing food so quickly that her stomach was often empty. She would throw up white, foamy bile when that happened. I just fed her as much as possible. Up to 6-7 times a day. Onyx was eating almost 3 full cans a day before treatment (and still losing weight).

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Cole is scheduled to have this done on the 18th. I'm so excited! It's expensive but worth it to me. Im just glad we are able to afford it.
Cas, please feel free to read my post on the 131 treatment. I've been detailing Onyx's journey since July. While every cat may react a lil different, you may find some interesting info on what to expect 'Post 131'. ~ as someone who has been thru all of this, you will be very happy with the end result ~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
YES! SO EXCITED! My mom got the rental car yesterday. A very nice beige 2019 KIA SUV. I told her it was too expensive but she said she wanted Felix to be comfortable for the ride. My sister donated $70 on Thursday and that helped a lot. Went to the bank yesterday and got all my money in order. Packed his stuff. They said to bring a smelly shirt so I wore the same shirt for about a week and a half. Went over the details with my sister and friend who will be coming along. Everyone is up early. Double checking traffic and location so we are good to go!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
So many cats lined up. The staff are amazing. The doctor was so kind to us and Felix. He wasn't happy though because it's a strange place and nothing smelled familiar. But they assured us that he'd be fine. They treat them so nice! Cat condos all over, beds, petting and toys. I'm so glad I found this clinic.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
They just emailed me. They said he was a good boy for his treatment. He's now relaxing in his bed.

I thought they'd be in cages too but they actually take them out for exercise and play with them throughout the day.

Also, I showed the doctor there the spot on his tooth with the pulp exposed and she said it's probably a cavity since his teeth are so bad. The enamel wore down. I'll still have his home clinic take a look and hopefully he can have a cleaning soon but they said it won't be for another 14 weeks which is what I thought. So I'm just going to brush and watch for changes.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, everything is going perfectly!
I didn't know that the staff could play with them post therapy... Where I took my cat, all cats were in isolation and the staff could only swap their dishes and litter trays with fresh ones.
No visits from the owners were allowed till the day of the discharge.

Come on Felix, you will have the best Christmas ever!

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A local vet told me she had a cat with hyper T and had to give the cat to her daughter to feed separate from her other cats. She said they need really low iodine which is in a lot of foods. Thyroid is made from that and selenium and L -tyrosine (an amino acid) in humans anyway...... I'm blessed my 17 yr old is all normal with her blood/urine work. good luck to you!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
He's doing great! He really loves the cat condo and the smelly t-shirt I left him. He's also a lot less shy and went to one of the vet technicians for head scratches. They said he's going to the washroom well and eating normally so they are very pleased with how he's adjusted.