Question Of The Day, Sunday, January 21, 2018

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@blueyedgirl5946 , i wanted to point out the Golden Syrup ingredient for the fruitcake recipe. Golden Syrup is something that's found mainly in Britain, New Zealand, and Australia.

and note the ingredient 'mixed spice'. in the comments section, the blogger clarifies this by saying it's 'pretty much the same as' pumpkin pie spice. that makes it easy, at least it would for me!

however, there are three options as far as the golden syrup ingredient goes. btw, i read that golden syrup adds flavor and moisture to the fruitcake recipe. first, you could simply not add golden syrup, and from what i read in the comments for that recipe doing that won't effect the fruitcake too much. second, you could make a homemade golden syrup substitute -- Homemade Golden Syrup - Substitute Recipe - Genius Kitchen or, third, according to Nigella Lawson (has a show on Food Network, and is an author) the next closest thing to golden syrup is light corn syrup (or if you're making gingerbread cake, you'd substitute dark corn syrup for the golden syrup) -- Golden Syrup Substitute | Ask Nigella.com | Nigella Lawson you'd use the same amount of light corn syrup, as you would golden syrup in the recipe. if it were me making the fruitcake, i think i'd use the light corn syrup, not wanting to lose any flavor or moisture that that ingredient brings to the fruitcake.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting because I don't think I've ever had a store bought angel food cake unless it was part of another recipe for a different type of cake. So yummy with some homemade whipped topping or some fresh strawberries :yummy: YUM
so, you enjoyed home baked angel food cakes while you were growing up? if so, that sounds wonderful!! :redheartpump: i grew up having cakes made using boxed mixes. it wasn't until i learned to bake, as an adult, that i tasted (i believe) my first homemade/from scratch cake. i've never looked back, never used boxed cake mixes since.

i do use a homemade cake mix recipe, only to make Upside Down Pumpkin Dessert -- Upside Down Pumpkin Cake Recipe, which i really like. :yummy:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
so, you enjoyed home baked angel food cakes while you were growing up? if so, that sounds wonderful!! :redheartpump: i grew up having cakes made using boxed mixes. it wasn't until i learned to bake, as an adult, that i tasted (i believe) my first homemade/from scratch cake. i've never looked back, never used boxed cake mixes since.

i do use a homemade cake mix recipe, only to make Upside Down Pumpkin Dessert -- Upside Down Pumpkin Cake Recipe, which i really like. :yummy:
Ive never heard of upside down pumpkin cake. I ise a bix cake mix ti make pineapple upsidedown cake. That sounds intetesting though

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive never heard of upside down pumpkin cake. I ise a bix cake mix ti make pineapple upsidedown cake. That sounds intetesting though
Wow its hard to type on this phone. Hope u can undrstand that
yes, i could understand that! ;)

i didn't know that boxed cake mix could be used in making a pineapple upside down cake. :ruminating: i'd have two dessert recipes that use my homemade cake mix -- two choices of what i want to make using the cake mix!! thank you for mentioning that! :D

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been craving coconut cake ever since this thread started. :lol: So I had to stop at the cupcake shop today when I was out running errands. Two coconut ones, plus raspberry and vanilla ones just for good measure. :yummy: :yummy: :yummy:

IMG_3717.jpg

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been craving coconut cake ever since this thread started. :lol: So I had to stop at the cupcake shop today when I was out running errands. Two coconut ones, plus raspberry and vanilla ones just for good measure. :yummy: :yummy: :yummy:

View attachment 216171
:thud:those cupcakes look simply glorious!! and delicious! :yummy:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to make it. I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, anything with pumpkin.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I line the pan with parchment paper and turn it out once it's been chilled. The cake makes an excellent base. You can serve it with whipped cream or a cream cheese frosting.