Question Of The Day, Sunday, January 21, 2018

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I like cheesecake even though technically it is a custard pie, not cake. I also love carrot cake and angel food cake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a cake person. Desserts really are not my thing but if I were to have dessert, it would be a chocolate mousse made with high quality imported dark chocolate. DD and I were talking about cake the other day and we agreed that we'd rather skip the cake altogether and just eat a bowl of cream cheese frosting with a spoon. I love cream cheese frosting.

Icing and frosting are not the same thing.

Frosting is usually used to coat the outside of cake. It has a buttercream-like texture and a more buttery taste. Icing is generally used to glaze pastries or cakes, and tastes more sugary than frosting. The Williams-Sonoma cookbook Cake states that “icing is generally thinner and glossier,” while its counterpart frosting is “a thick, fluffy mixture, used to coat the outside of a cake.”
Chocolate mousse, made with high quality imported dark chocolate!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

i really like pudding, home cooked pudding. but mousse is a special dessert -- especially rich and creamy, and light, airy. :yummy:

i did not know that, about frosting vs icing! that makes sense!! :agree:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite cake I would have to say is whichever one I am eating at the time. Honestly, since I started with gluten free eating, I don't really think about cake that much any more. I have had some gluten free cakes, but they are just not in the class with what I remember. Before my diet changed, I would have said carrot cake.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of an orange cherry thunder cake. Do tell me more, please!
Here ya go. This is the recipe he uses. I guess it's considered a bread, at least that's what the recipe calls it. He said you can replace the sultanas with other dried fruits which is what he did. It sounds like one of those recipes you can kinda put your own spin on depending what you like. The dried fruit gets gooey and the sugar and milk caramelize. Sorry for the metric measurements. He's from the UK.

Thunder Bread

150g rye flour

75g wheat flour

1/2 tsp fine salt

1 level tsp bicarb

100g molasses sugar or dark brown muscovado sugar

120g sultanas

320ml milk
-----------------

Butter a mixing bowl that will comfortably fit inside a slow cooker

In another mixing bowl briefly combine all the ingredients

Turn on slow cooker. Pour mixture into prepared bowl and tightly cover with tin foil. Pour boiling water into the slow cooker around the edge of the bowl so it goes an inch up the side.

Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours, checking every so often to make sure the cooker hasn't boiled dry.

Turn off and leave to cool for a few minutes.

Spread with generous amounts of butter.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just the opposite here. Coconut is my second favorite, carrot is first. :yummy: But of course, with the caveat of no raisins. :cringe:

View attachment 215336 (and cakes!) :D
ahhh, carrot cake is your favorite -- no raisins :nono:, with coconut cake being your second favorite!!! :clap: awesome!! :)

i'm pretty sure the carrot cake recipe i use does not contain raisins, i'd remember that. it does have some crushed pineapple in it though...:yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the universe is telling me I need to bake a cake. This morning a friend tortured me by emailing me a photo of an orange cherry thunder cake that he made. ( Half eaten in the picture) and now this is the question of the day. LOL

Chocolate cherry cake has always been one of my favorites. A slice of cake cut in half with a layer of vanilla ice cream in between...maybe topped with a bit of extra cherry pie filling....yummy!
yes, it could be that the universe was telling you to bake a cake......'righting itself' kind of thing. especially if you haven't baked one in a while!! ;)

mmmm......chocolate cherry cake is one of your favorites!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! and i really like that idea, slice of cake cut in half, vanilla ice cream in the middle, and topped with a little cherry pie filling! :yummy: that might work well with brownies too -- brownie, scoop of ice cream on top, and some cherry pie filling over it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rich chocolate cake with semi- sweet chocolate icing. There is a recipe in Joy of Cooking for devil's food :devilish: cockaigne cake with a quarter pound of chocolate that I used to make. Problem was, the cake was so rich it was hard to get out of the pan! Now I read they recommend lining the bottom with parchment paper. I used a semi-sweet chocolate cream cheese icing from Joy of Cooking. Yum! Chocloate is soooo good! :thumbsup: :clap:
your favorite is a rich chocolate cake with semi-sweet chocolate cream cheese icing!!! :cloud9: very nice!!

oh yes! parchment paper is definitely the way to go! :agree: i don't bake cakes very often (though have been baking more of them lately), but based on my (limited) experience with them, i will always use parchment paper. the rolls of parchment paper are just really annoying -- the cutter on the box never cuts the paper straight, and always requires trimming the paper to get it to fit the pan (a waste of time as well as money). plus the boxed kind wants to roll itself back up. so i buy parchment paper sheets and 8-inch rounds.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's funny that I do LOVE chocolate cake with not-so-sweet frosting like you get in the store bakery, but I do not care for cake otherwise. That is kind of strange to me. I even can perplex myself. :think: :confused: :doh:

@Winchester , I think Cook's Country is awesome!
you love chocolate cake with not-so-sweet frosting -- like from the store bakery, but otherwise don't care for cake!!! :clap: that's great!! :D

and that makes sense to me, too. i think that all frostings, and cakes, are not alike. some frostings are really very sweet, while others are sweet but their......flavor is stronger. and i believe the texture of cakes vary, as well as how light (as opposed to heavy, dense) they are.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does cheesecake count? as I am a cheesecake lover!

Otherwise, I also really like angel food cake, and fairly flexible in terms of butter cakes, like chocolate. I also like cake with cinnamon or coffee cake.

Opera cake is also tasty!
yes, cheesecake does count! :agree:

you love cheesecake, and also really like angel food cake as well as butter cakes and chocolate cake!!! :thumbsup: really awesome!!

cake with cinnamon, and coffee cake......yummy! :yummy: i love cinnamon!! :hearthrob:

i had not heard of Opera Cake before. looking up about it online, that sounds like a truly incredible cake!!

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really a cake person. For my birthday I usually ask my mother to make chocolate cupcakes cherries and filling in the middle.
although you're not really a cake person, you do enjoy chocolate cupcakes with cherries and filling in the middle for your birthday!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like cheesecake even though technically it is a custard pie, not cake. I also love carrot cake and angel food cake.
ahhh, you like cheesecake!!! :clap: really very nice!! :D

and you love carrot cake and angel food cake too! :yummy: i've never had a homemade angel food cake, only store bought. :think: i think i'll try a homemade one, and see how that turns out!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Red velvet cake without a doubt. I also love chocolate cake though.
Red Velvet Cake is your favorite, and you also love chocolate cake!!! :thumbsup: that sounds great!!

i've actually never had red velvet cake. :dunno: i've wanted to bake one, but would need to find a substitute for the coffee (ingredient).

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite cake I would have to say is whichever one I am eating at the time. Honestly, since I started with gluten free eating, I don't really think about cake that much any more. I have had some gluten free cakes, but they are just not in the class with what I remember. Before my diet changed, I would have said carrot cake.
you favorite was carrot cake, before your diet changed!!! :clap: awesome!! :D

although i'm not gluten free, i think i can identify with what you're saying. i bake using carob and carob powder, never chocolate or cocoa -- i don't 'do' caffeine. for me, substituting carob instead of chocolate/cocoa is pretty easy, but carob will also never taste just like chocolate or cocoa. two things help me -- using really good recipes (ones which others have had very good results with, and that taste good), and 'going in' with a mind set to try what i'm baking as it's own thing...that it's a carob cake/brownies/etc, not expecting it to taste like chocolate or cocoa.

if i remember correctly, you like fruitcake, around Christmastime. i did come across what looks like a good recipe for gluten free fruitcake, and which the people who posted in the comments had found tasted really very good. here's the recipe, should you be interested -- Gluten Free Fruit Cake (Christmas Cake) - Sweetness & Bite

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom Yes, I do love a good fruit cake. I have not tried a gluten free one as in the recipe you posted. I have made the gluten free refrigerator fruit cake with gluten free cookie crumbs or gluten free graham cracker crumb. The recipe you posted looks like it would be good. How does one measure grams? I guess it would have to be converted to ounces?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom Yes, I do love a good fruit cake. I have not tried a gluten free one as in the recipe you posted. I have made the gluten free refrigerator fruit cake with gluten free cookie crumbs or gluten free graham cracker crumb. The recipe you posted looks like it would be good. How does one measure grams? I guess it would have to be converted to ounces?
i would use an online converter, calculator, like this one to convert grams to cups -- grams to cups (g to c) and c to g (cups to gram) Online Conversion Calculator - Converter / Chart / Table or, this one to convert grams to ounces -- Grams to Ounces conversion in the recipe, the dried fruit amount of 1.5kg -- see right at the bottom of the recipe, the note that breaks down how much of each type of dried fruit the blogger used. if my addition is correct, she used a total of 1500g of dried fruit, which converts to 6 1/3 cups (exact amount is 6.34013 cups). i'm assuming it would be easier to convert to an amount in cups, rather than ounces.

yes, i thought the fruitcake recipe looked good too! :agree:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
ahhh, you like cheesecake!!! :clap: really very nice!! :D

and you love carrot cake and angel food cake too! :yummy: i've never had a homemade angel food cake, only store bought. :think: i think i'll try a homemade one, and see how that turns out!
That's interesting because I don't think I've ever had a store bought angel food cake unless it was part of another recipe for a different type of cake. So yummy with some homemade whipped topping or some fresh strawberries :yummy: YUM