Question Of The Day, Sunday, January 21, 2018

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chocolate chip oatmeal cake. My mom used to make this cake when I was growing up and it has always been my favorite. I always think of her when I make it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a cake person. Desserts really are not my thing but if I were to have dessert, it would be a chocolate mousse made with high quality imported dark chocolate. DD and I were talking about cake the other day and we agreed that we'd rather skip the cake altogether and just eat a bowl of cream cheese frosting with a spoon. I love cream cheese frosting.

Icing and frosting are not the same thing.

Frosting is usually used to coat the outside of cake. It has a buttercream-like texture and a more buttery taste. Icing is generally used to glaze pastries or cakes, and tastes more sugary than frosting. The Williams-Sonoma cookbook Cake states that “icing is generally thinner and glossier,” while its counterpart frosting is “a thick, fluffy mixture, used to coat the outside of a cake.”

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the universe is telling me I need to bake a cake. This morning a friend tortured me by emailing me a photo of an orange cherry thunder cake that he made. ( Half eaten in the picture) and now this is the question of the day. LOL

Chocolate cherry cake has always been one of my favorites. A slice of cake cut in half with a layer of vanilla ice cream in between...maybe topped with a bit of extra cherry pie filling....yummy!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Rich chocolate cake with semi- sweet chocolate icing. There is a recipe in Joy of Cooking for devil's food :devilish: cockaigne cake with a quarter pound of chocolate that I used to make. Problem was, the cake was so rich it was hard to get out of the pan! Now I read they recommend lining the bottom with parchment paper. I used a semi-sweet chocolate cream cheese icing from Joy of Cooking. Yum! Chocloate is soooo good! :thumbsup: :clap:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does cheesecake count? as I am a cheesecake lover!

Otherwise, I also really like angel food cake, and fairly flexible in terms of butter cakes, like chocolate. I also like cake with cinnamon or coffee cake.

Opera cake is also tasty!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a cake person. Desserts really are not my thing but if I were to have dessert, it would be a chocolate mousse made with high quality imported dark chocolate. DD and I were talking about cake the other day and we agreed that we'd rather skip the cake altogether and just eat a bowl of cream cheese frosting with a spoon. I love cream cheese frosting.

Icing and frosting are not the same thing.

Frosting is usually used to coat the outside of cake. It has a buttercream-like texture and a more buttery taste. Icing is generally used to glaze pastries or cakes, and tastes more sugary than frosting. The Williams-Sonoma cookbook Cake states that “icing is generally thinner and glossier,” while its counterpart frosting is “a thick, fluffy mixture, used to coat the outside of a cake.”
Thanks for the explaination. I never knew that but it makes sense. We don't say the apple turnovers or honey dipped donuts ( glazed said in some places ) have frosting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By now, you all know that my favorite cake is a two-layer white coconut cake with a seven-minute frosting and extra coconut in the filling between the layers. Yum! It's my Christmas dessert and (sometimes) at Easter, too.

The best homemade coconut cake, IMO, is from a recipe from Cook's Country. The cake is made with cream of coconut as is the frosting. When I make it, sometimes I toast some of the coconut, so there's a good mixture of toasted and white all over the cake. Other times, I won't toast it, so the cake is a white snowball of coconut. Either way, it's just delicious (if you like coconut, that is). This recipe also makes wonderful cupcakes.

The best bakery coconut cake is from a local restaurant. You can order the cake with a raspberry filling or a lemon curd filling if you don't want the frosting between the layers. We've done both of them and they're both really good, although the lemon is better. I always request extra coconut either way.

Rick's favorite cake is probably the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate cake with whipped peanut butter frosting. I think he could overdose on that cake.

I've made snickerdoodle cakes and they're excellent. I could probably go with half the frosting, too, but Rick's sweet tooth would not allow it. :lol:
your favorite is a two-layer white coconut cake with a seven-minute frosting and extra coconut in the filling between the layers!!! :cloud9: definitely a most delicious cake!! :D

and your Rick's favorite is the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate cake with whipped peanut butter frosting!! :agree: i love that cake, and the whipped peanut butter frosting...:redheartpump:

honestly, i don't know why i prefer less frosting now i'm older. :dunno: i used to be fine with a regular amount of frosting on cakes. and i do enjoy desserts, and always have something for dessert, every day. the nanaimo bars i have often are very, very sweet -- and i enjoy them.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto, me too! :thumbsup:
My favorite cake is a chocolate tuxedo mousse cake - so yummy! :yummy:
Chocolate Tuxedo Mousse cake!!! :thumbsup: looking that up online -- that looks like a truly decadent cake!!:thud:and a very pretty cake too! very nice!! :)

i'm caffeine free here, so no chocolate (including white) but...hmmm...:ruminating:......i'll bet i could substitute the white chocolate in the white chocolate filling for vanilla mousse mix/powder, or simply leave the white chocolate out since there's vanilla extract in the filling. i think that would work out well! and can easily use carob powder/chips instead of chocolate/cocoa. i may just make a version of Chocolate Tuxedo Mousse cake next year for Christmas! :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chocolate chip oatmeal cake. My mom used to make this cake when I was growing up and it has always been my favorite. I always think of her when I make it.
your favorite is Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cake!!! :thumbsup: awesome!!

and really nice that you think of your mom when you make it! :hearthrob:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the universe is telling me I need to bake a cake. This morning a friend tortured me by emailing me a photo of an orange cherry thunder cake that he made. ( Half eaten in the picture) and now this is the question of the day. LOL

Chocolate cherry cake has always been one of my favorites. A slice of cake cut in half with a layer of vanilla ice cream in between...maybe topped with a bit of extra cherry pie filling....yummy!
I've never heard of an orange cherry thunder cake. Do tell me more, please!