Question Of The Day, Sunday, January 21, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :hellocomputer:

i'll be baking a cake later today. i really enjoy baking, so i'm looking forward to it, though not looking forward to the dishes from it! ;)

for today's Question of the Day......

What is your favorite cake? (can be any kind of cake) for those who do not care for cake -- What is your favorite dessert?

i'll start!

hmmm......i think it would be a carob cake (a chocolate type cake)! i like yellow, white, spice, coconut, carrot, cheese (-cake), poke cakes, and likely other kinds of cake too......but i always enjoy carob cake. :redheartpump:

as i've gotten older, i prefer less frosting on my cake. :dunno: for the cinnamon-sugar (aka, snickerdoodle) cake i'll be making later today, i'll be making a half recipe of the frosting -- that's just the right amount of frosting for my taste. sometimes i'll just use a mesh strainer and sprinkle the top of the cake with a little powdered sugar, and i really like that instead of frosting. :yummy:

How about you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother-in-law's "rum bomb" - vanilla cake with a layer of rum-flavored pudding and glazed with chocolate. She makes a wicked Black Forest cake, too. Our last cat always tried to steal a piece of her raspberry cream cake.
your mother-in-law's 'rum bomb'!!! :thumbsup: that sure does sound like an incredible cake!! :agree:

and your MIL makes other yummy cakes too! :yummy:

would that have been your Jamie, who always tried to steal a piece of your MIL's raspberry cream cake?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
would that have been your Jamie, who always tried to steal a piece of your MIL's raspberry cream cake?
Yes, that was Jamie. One time I came home from work to find a plate with a few cake crumbs on it. She'd stopped by with 5 pieces of cake, which she left on the kitchen table, and he ate them all!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that was Jamie. One time I came home from work to find a plate with a few cake crumbs on it. She'd stopped by with 5 pieces of cake, which she left on the kitchen table, and he ate them all!
oh my!!! your Jamie ate all five pieces of raspberry cream cake!! :jawdrop: that's a heck of a lot of cake...

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chocolate for me, three layers preferred, with an almost equal amount of chocolate icing.

By the way, do you say "icing" or "frosting"?
chocolate cake is your favorite, you prefer three layers, and a really good amount of icing!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

that's an interesting question! i usually say frosting, unless it's a buttercream/glaze/etc.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of all the cakes I have had I would say a genuine Black Forest Cake. It has to be genuine, none of this chocolate cake with cherry pie filling. The sweet cherries, cherry brandy and real whipped cream. I haven't had one in years. I had it the first time when I was stationed in Germany and it has been my favorite since then.

Of the cakes that are more common in the U.S. I would say German Chocolate. I love the coconut pecan frosting.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of all the cakes I have had I would say a genuine Black Forest Cake. It has to be genuine, none of this chocolate cake with cherry pie filling. The sweet cherries, cherry brandy and real whipped cream. I haven't had one in years. I had it the first time when I was stationed in Germany and it has been my favorite since then.

Of the cakes that are more common in the U.S. I would say German Chocolate. I love the coconut pecan frosting.
a Black Forest Cake, and must be genuine!!! :cloud9: that sounds like a most wonderful cake!! :D i've actually never had Black Forest Cake.

and German Chocolate Cake is also one that you really like!! :redheartpump: really very nice!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite cake is devil's food, but my favorite dessert is key lime pie :drool:

I say frosting. "Icing" makes me think of a thin topping like on donuts. Doesn't quite cut it ;)

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say 'frosting". My two favorites are -angel food cake, HAS to have seven minute frosting, my absolute favorite, and pineapple upside down cake with extra gooey brown sugar and butter and topped with lots of whipped cream!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say 'frosting". My two favorites are -angel food cake, HAS to have seven minute frosting, my absolute favorite, and pineapple upside down cake with extra gooey brown sugar and butter and topped with lots of whipped cream!
Angel Food Cake with seven minute frosting, and Pineapple Upside Down Cake with lots of whipped cream!!! :cloud9: those both sound really very tasty!! :agree:

you know, i've thought about baking a pineapple upside down cake (i absolutely adore pineapple), but never have. :think: i'll have to fit making one into my plans soon!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
By now, you all know that my favorite cake is a two-layer white coconut cake with a seven-minute frosting and extra coconut in the filling between the layers. Yum! It's my Christmas dessert and (sometimes) at Easter, too.

The best homemade coconut cake, IMO, is from a recipe from Cook's Country. The cake is made with cream of coconut as is the frosting. When I make it, sometimes I toast some of the coconut, so there's a good mixture of toasted and white all over the cake. Other times, I won't toast it, so the cake is a white snowball of coconut. Either way, it's just delicious (if you like coconut, that is). This recipe also makes wonderful cupcakes.

The best bakery coconut cake is from a local restaurant. You can order the cake with a raspberry filling or a lemon curd filling if you don't want the frosting between the layers. We've done both of them and they're both really good, although the lemon is better. I always request extra coconut either way.

Rick's favorite cake is probably the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate cake with whipped peanut butter frosting. I think he could overdose on that cake.

I've made snickerdoodle cakes and they're excellent. I could probably go with half the frosting, too, but Rick's sweet tooth would not allow it. :lol:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coconut cake is my favorite, with carrot cake being a close second.
Coconut cake, and Carrot cake a close second!!! :thumbsup: excellent!! :)

i had never had coconut cake until relatively recently. i made Winchester Winchester 's White Coconut Cake recipe, and it truly was an amazing cake......just delicious!