Question Of The Day, Friday, July 20

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
American Cheese - it's mislabeled plastic!
The individually plastic wrapped slices (Kraft, etc)? Those are plastic-y :barfgreen: Cheese sliced to order from the deli counter or packaged like the Sargento brand are ok.

Couscous is basically a mouthful of wet sand :barfgreen::barf:

I don't like tomatoes, cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, any form of octopus (calamari, etc) or squid, oysters, Triscuit crackers.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The individually plastic wrapped slices (Kraft, etc)? Those are plastic-y :barfgreen: Cheese sliced to order from the deli counter or packaged like the Sargento brand are ok.

Couscous is basically a mouthful of wet sand :barfgreen::barf:

I don't like tomatoes, cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, any form of octopus (calamari, etc) or squid, oysters, Triscuit crackers.
Sargento is wonderful! They have these cheddar snack sticks that should probably last a family of four 4-5 days but last me the car trip home....if I buy two... =D

They have BIG bags of cheese cubes available at most stores, too, and they're like 7-8 bucks but SO good.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
The individually plastic wrapped slices (Kraft, etc)? Those are plastic-y
I don’t like any of the American cheese types, but I will acknowledge fancier deli American cheese as actual food.

And I second couscous

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The coconut they put in chocolates. What a cruel trick. Years ago I went with my boss to visit a wealthy donor, a lovely man, and he offered us chocolates from a box of mixed chocolates. I still shudder to think about it, and my stomach gets queasy. I had to finish it, but it was so hard to do without gagging. :barfgreen:

I had a colleague who used to pick up the chocolates in the office, push her finger into the bottoms so she could check to see what was in them...and then put them back if she didn’t like what was in them. That’s pretty gross, too.

Last edited:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Ugh, coconut:barfgreen: I don't like coconut either. Flakes, shreds, milk, even the smell of it. But I'm ok with coconut milk in curries because you can't tell it's even in there.
Yeah, I use Trader Joe’s coconut milk or cream in curries all the time, and it’s fine. It’s that nasty shredded or flaked stuff they put in sweets that I can’t stand.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The coconut they put in chocolates. What a cruel trick. Years ago I went with my boss to visit a wealthy donor, a lovely man, and he offered us chocolates from a box of mixed chocolates. I still shudder to think about it, and my stomach gets queasy. I had to finish it, but it was so hard to do without gagging. :barfgreen:

I had a colleague who used to pick up the chocolates in the office, push her finger into the bottoms so she could check to see what was in them...and then put them back if she didn’t like what was in them. That’s pretty gross, too.
Those fancy boxes are so deceiving.
Cherry filling in chocolate does not work for me. Neither does weird pink fluffy stuff.
If I want chocolate, I want chocolate...not chocolate laced with weird stuff.
What sucks is many folks give us these boxes as token thanks for Christmas, and we DO appreciate it but we usually send them off to someone who will enjoy them. We feel guilty as hell for this but there's no sense in throwing them out when someone else will like them..

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Those fancy boxes are so deceiving.
Cherry filling in chocolate does not work for me. Neither does weird pink fluffy stuff.
If I want chocolate, I want chocolate...not chocolate laced with weird stuff.
What sucks is many folks give us these boxes as token thanks for Christmas, and we DO appreciate it but we usually send them off to someone who will enjoy them. We feel guilty as hell for this but there's no sense in throwing them out when someone else will like them..
:yeah:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the risk of being the weirdo on the outs...
those no-bake cookies with chocolate and oatmeal?
:barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen:....
:confused:
:barf:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are things I love to hate, lol. Like plasticky American cheese and water chestnuts and those no-bake cookies. I'll eat them, but will give commentary about the texture the entire time :D.

I love good lactic-fermented sauerkraut and pickles. Regular vinegar-cured pickles are OK. But vinegar-cured sauerkraut is nasty. Only the good stuff for me! Bubbies is a good brand. I also like good kimchi. The store-bought kind is not good.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You'd never have to worry about that in my house. The coconut ones are the first ones I eat. I *LOVE* coconut!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What sucks is many folks give us these boxes as token thanks for Christmas, and we DO appreciate it but we usually send them off to someone who will enjoy them.
You think cheap-y chocolate is bad? Try an Asian brand of candy called White Rabbit. It's a disgusting chewy Tootsie Roll-like blob:barfgreen::barfgreen: We used to get those all the the time and they had clearly been re-gifted at least a few times. I don't know why people bother to buy White Rabbit to give as a hostess gift when they know no one likes the candy:cringe:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we get boxes like that in the teacher's lounge, I take a knife and cut them in half so everyone can see what's in them.

I dislike coconut as well, though I will cook with coconut oil or milk. And I really tried to like pineapple as a kid and just couldn't.

However...I did happily grow up on liversausage and American cheese sandwiches, so I'm the weirdo that actually likes it.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
No one has mentioned fruit cake.... I loved Dave Barry’s column years ago that said there’s really only one fruit cake in the world, and it just keeps getting passed from person to person. :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You think cheap-y chocolate is bad? Try an Asian brand of candy called White Rabbit. It's a disgusting chewy Tootsie Roll-like blob:barfgreen::barfgreen: We used to get those all the the time and they had clearly been re-gifted at least a few times. I don't know why people bother to buy White Rabbit to give as a hostess gift when they know no one likes the candy:cringe:
Oh dear God no! =(

The sad thing is, this isn't cheap stuff. We have a local guy who has a really, REALLY good ice cream and chocolate place. They make it all themselves and it's top notch...but I don't like expecting chocolate and getting pink fluffy stuff or weird coconut or cherries or some weird thing I can't identify.
I can't judge too much because I like chocolate...but 2-3 times a year is good for me.

I always joke with my closest buddies "wanna make me happy at Christmas? Forget the chocolates and fruit baskets and buy me half a steer to stock the freezer" =D

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we get boxes like that in the teacher's lounge, I take a knife and cut them in half so everyone can see what's in them.

I dislike coconut as well, though I will cook with coconut oil or milk. And I really tried to like pineapple as a kid and just couldn't.

However...I did happily grow up on liversausage and American cheese sandwiches, so I'm the weirdo that actually likes it.
Cutting the chocolates up is a good idea, so no one grabs something they don't like!!!!
I don't care for coconut. But coconut oil is OK. We oil pull sometimes with it and our dogs that built up dental crap on their teeth get their pearly whites brushed with it and they seem to like it!
I grew up on American Cheese but was exposed to the deli stuff. Muenster, Co-Jack, pepper jack, etc., and I decided I was a changed person. But the expense sucks, a 24 pack of american slices is very affordable and some of the high end delis get upwards of 7 bucks a pound for this stuff... =/

FWIW, my dogs think ALL cheese is AWESOME...even the wrappers, LOL

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I also wanted to add for those of you that hate cilantro because it tastes like soap:

There is actually a gene called OR6A2 which codes for smell/taste receptors (smells and tastes for humans are often connected) which allows people with this gene to smell and taste aldehyde chemicals; which just so happen to be found both in cilantro AND soap. So you aren't crazy, you're just genetically unique!
Cilantro is HIGH on my list because it does taste like soap and ruins anything it touches. I always wondered what it tastes like to people who eat it and DON'T taste soap..

The list continues:

Bananas. Everything about them is revolting. The smell, the taste and the texture

Hard boiled eggs. They are stinky, slimy and rubbery. Just thinking about them is almost enough to make me gag. I never order potato salad anywhere because if I do and there are hard boiled eggs in, it's immediately going in the trash. DH used to love egg salad and I would very reluctantly make it for him. The things we do. DD's on my side. She hates anything with those rubbery nightmares as much as I do

Green bell peppers. They are up there with cilantro. Once they have touched something, it's ruined as that horrible taste and smell transfers to anything it touches

Miracle Whip. Invented by the devil to fool people into thinking it's mayonnaise. Then they eat it and feel complete shock and horror after having their taste buds assaulted by all that corn syrup.

Liver and other forms of offal. I do not like that mineral-y, iron-y taste. They also stink

Black licorice and anything that tastes like it. My mom loves Good & Plenty. It was the one candy she could keep in the house that she knew for sure we kids would NEVER touch.

Speaking of candy... how about the equally horrible Necco Wafers and Circus Peanuts? NO. JUST NO.

and....

Cheap chocolate. We used to get these Palmer's chocolate bunnies for Easter. They were solid and weighed about a pound each. They tasted like sadness and disappointment.

Cheesecake. It has a weird aftertaste and is too much dairy. IMO the most overrated dessert ever

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the things people hate are some of my favorite foods. But I am not picky. I grew up poor and ate what my mom cooked. And if I said anything, I got "There are starving people in China".

But there are 4 things I will not touch, one of which is buttermilk. My grandpa loved the stuff but to me it is just spoiled milk.

My mom loves saurkrout. She was the only one in our family that would touch it. She is of German heritage so maybe that explains it. To me it is just spoiled cabbage. Unspoiled cabbage I like.

And anchovies and sardines. Gross! Just disgusting.

And I just cannot eat green olives. Way too salty. You may as well just eat a spoonful of Morton's.
I used to love green olives, but turned onto black olives, and into my adulthood, kalamata olives are where it's at.
I can eat green olives, but I don't love them.
I *do* keep a jar of green Spanish olives on hand, because for whatever reason, if I get one of those old fashioned stomach aches, a dish of a dozen or so green olives cures it. Don't ask me why.
I eat 12-16 green olives and do not enjoy it. IMO they taste like the east end of a horse with dysentery going west, but they cure my stomach ache better than anything I've found.

If you crave more alone time (and crave more pizza), go out with friends and order half a pizza with anchovies. People won't touch that part of the pizza and won't even touch the slices next to the slices with those weird little fish.
I learned this from a friend and they have been right 100% of the time, but still..
Anchovies are gross.