Question Of The Day, Friday, July 20

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will add that our neighbor is a whiz with mushrooms in food prep and can work them into anything and make it taste excellent.
They shared soup with us once and I was like ":eek:" when I saw mushrooms floating in it.
So I picked them out (yea I was called "prissy". I deal with it) and the soup had a really good flavor, so I left a few in next batch and then it kind of blended in. Somehow, they make mushrooms something I don't need to spray with anti-fungals.
I don't like raw mushrooms. But if I saute them with onions and butter they are very different in taste and texture. :yummy: I believe mushrooms are spongy; they soak up liquids. Thats why you aren't supposed to rinse them clean. I like them in stews and things too. I often saute onions and mushrooms then add steaks lightly salted and peppered. My DD devours it and my DS only has to be coerced to eat his steak... :rolleyes: :dunno:

This thread is making me very hungry. :help:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Licorice is one of my "love to hate" things. I'll nibble the candy coating off a Good 'N' Plenty and whine about how I don't like licorice :D.

I like red Twizzlers though. And most of the weird flavors, like green apple.

If Spam is prepared properly, it tastes like bacon, and bacon is awesome. Just out of the can though, yuck. That's nasty. I imagine putting it in cookies is like putting bacon bits in cookies, I'm on board with that! I love a good salty chocolate chip cookie.

I don't have any tolerance for weird meats. If it comes from a plant I'll try it. But I am not going to even try some weird animal parts.

There are like 5 things my dad will eat. At least I'm not that picky!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:flail: I have never and will never try it cooked any other way than fried. It tastes like feet. I'm not 100% sure what feet taste like; but I imagine it's okra. :p

I forgot about "Spring Mix" salads. I used to be able to choke one down by evenly distributing things like cucumbers, cheese, tomato, etc. and not thinking about what I was eating. But it got so my gag reflex would kick in by the first bite. I don't care for raw spinach either; but nothing hits me like the spring mix aka weed salads. :barfgreen: They need some Roundup dressing. :smash:
I call those salads "Weed Whacker Salad".

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love weed whacker salad. But I also love that name! I'm stealing it too :D. That's all I really like for salads. Raw spinach has a weird texture and romaine is too watery.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate when restaurants bring me a spring mix salad. I've really got to remember the ones that do and not order salad there.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope this isn't too off topic. I have a food trivia question.

What vegetable is only sold and eaten fresh, never canned, frozen, or cooked?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lettuce? I was thinking banana, but that's a fruit.

Weed-whacker salad! :flail:

I like romaine.....we grill it for Caesar salad I'm a big fan of Caesar salad. But I'm not fond of the spring mix salads either. I'm not particularly fond of spinach either, but can eat baby spinach fresh or creamed in a stuffing for 'shrooms.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Letuce is my guess too. Although I had a coworker who grew up ib the Philipines till he was maybe 16 (he was in his late 40s at this point) who said he never saw uncooked lettuce till he moved here.

I like the leafy part of romaine lettuce but not the thick part of the center. Its watery and just not a good flavor. I usually get the Butter lettuce for myself and spring mix for DH and DD. DS only gets a bowl of cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, crasins and pecans. :rolleyes:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Buttered popcorn flavored jelly belly beans. That's the only thing I ever ate that was so gross I had to spit it out of my mouth.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried elk? I've had people say it's game-y and others say no way, just like beef with a bit of a different flavor.
Curious what you think if you've ever tried it!
Oh, and caviar. Gross. Pay lots of money for a bucket of fish eggs.
I've had elk many times. To me, it's not gamey at all. Taste like beef without the fat.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Licorice is one of my "love to hate" things. I'll nibble the candy coating off a Good 'N' Plenty and whine about how I don't like licorice :D.

I like red Twizzlers though. And most of the weird flavors,

like green apple.
If Spam is prepared properly, it tastes like bacon, and bacon is awesome. Just out of the can though, yuck. That's nasty. I imagine putting it in cookies is like putting bacon bits in cookies, I'm on board with that! I love a good salty chocolate chip cookie.

I don't have any tolerance for weird meats. If it comes from a plant I'll try it. But I am not going to even try some weird animal parts.

There are like 5 things my dad will eat. At least I'm not that picky!
Don't eat Good & Plenty. They are colored with Carmine which is derived from insects. So is a lot of yogurt and things using red dye.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few:

Peas
Pickles
Mustard
Mayonnaise
Mushrooms (though I don't mind the occasional mushroom in something)
Salad (never seen the appeal - it's just like leaves and vegetables in a bowl to me, lol)
Spicy food (Chicken Korma is the most I can manage in regards to spicy curries)
Hershey's chocolate (I don't understand why it's so popular!)
Marmite
Radishes

There's probably more, but this is off the top of my head.