question about maine coons

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
by the way Mikaela is not pregnant and it went from a main coon subject to a micro chip subject weird
That's great news Mewlittle, when is her spay scheduled?

The micro chip question came up because it is a way to trace animals who get away from their owners.  If this technology had been around in my Pantaloons time, the rightful owner could have been tracked down as I am quite sure this cat was not intended to be loose on the streets.  He didn't even want to be outside.  Once my front door blew open in a gust of wind, I must not have closed it completely when I left.  When I returned home and saw my door open (I live in a rural area so I wasn't so concerned about humans), I panicked.  Much to my relief, inside I found my beloved Pantaloons patiently waiting for me on his favorite chair.

When you get her spayed, you may consider having her micro chipped as well.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strongly recommend getting all your cats chipped.  Mine have been fine being chipped at 15 weeks or so, and when I got Rufus back because of his chip it made it all worthwhile.  Cost here is about £22 at my vets - pretty much what I was paying 20 years ago!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check with your local shelter/animal control. . .they don't have a scanner in the small towns here, and would probably refuse to use one if someone donated it, just to be perverse. Although it might still be worth it in case they somehow ended up in a shelter in an area that does scan. The Humane Society in SF does it for $25 so see if there's a similar provision where you live.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check with your local shelter/animal control. . .they don't have a scanner in the small towns here, and would probably refuse to use one if someone donated it, just to be perverse. Although it might still be worth it in case they somehow ended up in a shelter in an area that does scan. The Humane Society in SF does it for $25 so see if there's a similar provision where you live.
Astonishing.  In the UK almost all vets and rescues have a chip scanner, and they will scan a cat for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Astonishing.  In the UK almost all vets and rescues have a chip scanner, and they will scan a cat for free.
Scanners are inexpensive, starting at around $100. Many breeders have them to ensure the correct kitten is going with the correct paperwork and owner, very helpful when dealing with litters of all the same colour.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to get her weight up a little first

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he and how much does she weigh?  Unless she is underweight for her size I can't see any point in waiting - plenty of people have done that and ended up with a pregnant cat.  Cats in call become veritable Houdinis, and only have to be out for a few minutes to get mated and become pregnant.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the interest of posting factual information on the Breeders Corner, I just got off the phone with my Vet's office. They charge $15 to microchip.  They are not  aware of any shelters or such that don't have a universal scanner.  There is no charge for the scan, as they explained, it is in everyone's interest for the pet to be reunited with the owner. 

Mind you this is in the "backwoods" Mountains".  Population <1,000.  They don't post populations here, only elevations so I don't know the exact population, but t is small.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mind you this is in the "backwoods" Mountains".  Population <1,000.  They don't post populations here, only elevations so I don't know the exact population, but t is small.
Bet the elevation is more than the population, even if you measure elevation in metric!

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he and how much does she weigh?  Unless she is underweight for her size I can't see any point in waiting - plenty of people have done that and ended up with a pregnant cat.  Cats in call become veritable Houdinis, and only have to be out for a few minutes to get mated and become pregnant.
i got her sept 15th 2011 one nov 1st 2011 i weighed her she was 8 lbs on dec 28 2011 she weighed 9lbs and jan 1st 2012 she was rehomed i got her back oct 28th 2012 she weight 5.8 lbs <yes she lost at her new house and she is refusing to eat and now she is 5.2 lbs my vet wont fix her or unless she is 7lbs or more

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bet the elevation is more than the population, even if you measure elevation in metric!
Yes, the elevation is 8'900 plus ft. above sea level.   So the elevation is like ten times the population. 

Some people here in the US also apparently think that if you're heading uphill, you must be heading North

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i got her sept 15th 2011 one nov 1st 2011 i weighed her she was 8 lbs on dec 28 2011 she weighed 9lbs and jan 1st 2012 she was rehomed i got her back oct 28th 2012 she weight 5.8 lbs <yes she lost at her new house and she is refusing to eat and now she is 5.2 lbs my vet wont fix her or unless she is 7lbs or more
So what percent of her body weight has been lost?  That is a huge weight loss, BTW. 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what percent of her body weight has been lost?  That is a huge weight loss, BTW. 
yah i know the person i let him have her he didnt feed her much now she has no appitite and i'm working on getting her weight up

threepawma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the interest of posting factual information on the Breeders Corner, I just got off the phone with my Vet's office. They charge $15 to microchip.  They are not  aware of any shelters or such that don't have a universal scanner.  There is no charge for the scan, as they explained, it is in everyone's interest for the pet to be reunited with the owner. 
I also live out in the "sticks", if you will, and Willowy was correct that there still are small, local shelters that do not have chip readers. My local animal control is one example. However, there is a lovely no-kill rescue group that also operates here and they have a donated reader that they use.

As to why the shelter does not have one? Frankly your guess is as good as mine and, from what I have seen of the employees there, I can only say that there is the very real possibility that they have a mindset exactly like Willowy described. The US as a whole is not this bass-ackwards :lol3: but there are pockets that most certainly fit those caricatures that you often see of us. It is unfortunate and was a rude awakening for me when I moved from a city of 3 million into an entire county of less than 20,000. For goodness sakes, my county and township doesn't even have leash laws on the books!

I can't be sure, but I suspect Willowy was saying that the microchipping itself cost $25 at where ever she mentioned. My vet charges $27 for microchipping and sending in the registration for you.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a product called a/d that you can get from the vets office.  It's a prescription diet made by Hill/Science diet. 

I am not normally a big fan of Hills, but in this case it is a good thing.  It is highly caloric and palatable to almost all cats.  It is a bit on the expensive side, but once you get her weight up you won't need it anymore.   Please let us know if you are able to pick up some a/d today.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she hasn't eaten because of the last owner, does that mean this has been going on since October? That is a horrendously long time for a cat to be not eating properly.

Also agree with above on the AD. Has she also had a thorough checkup? Including blood work.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
. Has she also had a thorough checkup? Including blood work?
That kind of weight loss is frightening and could well have damaged her liver and/or other organs. Please do get that bloodwork done, and while you are there you can get the a/d. You wont find a/d anywhere but the vet's because it is a prescription diet.  You will need to ask.  Good luck and keep us posted 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a product called a/d that you can get from the vets office.  It's a prescription diet made by Hill/Science diet. 

I am not normally a big fan of Hills, but in this case it is a good thing.  It is highly caloric and palatable to almost all cats.  It is a bit on the expensive side, but once you get her weight up you won't need it anymore.   Please let us know if you are able to pick up some a/d today.
I'm not buying hills its basicaly junk food

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she hasn't eaten because of the last owner, does that mean this has been going on since October? That is a horrendously long time for a cat to be not eating properly.

Also agree with above on the AD. Has she also had a thorough checkup? Including blood work.
I been force feeding her every 4 hours he was feeding her only 9lives<cat food junk food<

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not buying hills its basicaly junk food
The most important thing right now is that the cat eats *something* and the Hills A/D is often the one thing that you can get into them, or that they will eat maybe from your finger.  No-one is suggesting you stick to Hills once the cat is eating normal cat food again.