question about maine coons

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh and if i get her spayed now i would have to do shots the vac tags would say 2012 it wont make sens to have a cat warring a 2012 tag threw 2013year
That is not accurate and is not a reason to not do a spay now. The vaccination tag will have the date the vaccination is given. The vaccination is good for one or three years (depending on the vaccination given) from the date it was given.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are being given excellent advice. Instead of dismissing it without even trying, do some internet research right now, find all the phone numbers you can, and start calling around for spay/neuter clinic information on Tuesday.
Or, give the name of your state and possibly your city, and perhaps someone here can do some research for you.
It would really be better if this poor cat did not have to have another litter. And as has been mentioned, raising kittens costs way more than spaying. And what if something goes wrong? Vet bills for that type of thing can be very high.
Do please try to find a way to have her spayed now. It will be better for you, and for her.
Good luck.
i didn't say i wasn't going to andd i'm taking the advice they like to judge right off the bat

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh and if i get her spayed now i would have to do shots the vac tags would say 2012 it wont make sens to have a cat warring a 2012 tag threw 2013year
No, the tags are good for one year from the shots. If they are going out especially they need all their shots.  Isn't there a local humane society that has discounts?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's OK. The tags are good for a full year (or 3 years, depending), no matter what date is on them.

Look, if you want to spend a bundle raising kittens that you probably won't even be able to find homes for, knock yourself out. I totally understand about having to keep expenses under control. . .I have 24 cats in my home right now, and ferals outside. And I can say confidently that spaying now is WAY cheaper than raising kittens, even if you have to take a loan with high interest. Especially if you end up not finding homes for the babies. I have other money-saving tips, too, if you ever want to PM.

There are very few resources in this area, too, but my vet takes payments, and there's another vet who will do farm cats and ferals for a lower price. So even without special programs, there are still options. Call every vet in the phone book and ask. . .can't hurt :).

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the tags are good for one year from the shots. If they are going out especially they need all their shots.  Isn't there a local humane society that has discounts?
if i get her shots now the tag well say 2012 dec 5th will switch to 2013 i know my area and if you take your pet were i live at the shelter for shots they wont let you have your pet back

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's OK. The tags are good for a full year (or 3 years, depending), no matter what date is on them.
Look, if you want to spend a bundle raising kittens that you probably won't even be able to find homes for, knock yourself out. I totally understand about having to keep expenses under control. . .I have 24 cats in my home right now, and ferals outside. And I can say confidently that spaying now is WAY cheaper than raising kittens, even if you have to take a loan with high interest. Especially if you end up not finding homes for the babies. I have other money-saving tips, too, if you ever want to PM.
There are very few resources in this area, too, but my vet takes payments, and there's another vet who will do farm cats and ferals for a lower price. So even without special programs, there are still options. Call every vet in the phone book and ask. . .can't hurt
can you pm me of the tips? and my mom is the money handler i dont live alone and my vets wont do payment plans

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if i get her shots now the tag well say 2012 dec 5th will switch to 2013 i know my area and if you take your pet were i live at the shelter for shots they wont let you have your pet back
So then it will be good until Dec. 5, 2013 (or three years later depending on the vaccine)

That is simply untrue that the shelter will confiscate your cats for getting them their shots.  Why would they want more cats?  These places typically are very supportive of people vaccinating their pets and offer free and/or very low cost vaccines and spay/neuter.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So then it will be good until Dec. 5, 2013 (or three years later depending on the vaccine)

That is simply untrue that the shelter will confiscate your cats for getting them their shots.  Why would they want more cats?  These places typically are very supportive of people vaccinating their pets and offer free and/or very low cost vaccines and spay/neuter.
in my area 2013 tags are given out dec 5th i know on dec 5th 2011 i got bucky and bumble fixed i thought i was going to get 2011 tags and they handed me 2012 tags and dec 15th 2009 i took my dog in to get up to date they handed me 2010 tag some how 2009 tag was totally skiped lol even thou it was around 1 yr apart each shot and the shelters in my area SUCK sorry i live in a bad spot

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can you pm me of the tips? and my mom is the money handler i dont live alone and my vets wont do payment plans
Are you a minor? Perhaps you can ask your mother to read this thread? Working together you and your mom may be able to find the resources you need to get Mikaela spayed now, and vaccinated.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you a minor? Perhaps you can ask your mother to read this thread? Working together you and your mom may be able to find the resources you need to get Mikaela spayed now, and vaccinated.
shes working on it she is trying to figure out money we have allot of bills and they cost allot we just got done paying a big one and every time we have money saved up for there shots for when they are do we end up with a pet emergancy every time my we get paid on the 1st and we have to feed the rest of the money threw the rest of the month and this month are bills were higher then normal and we ran out to fast and i think my mom said dec we are having the same problem with the money jan the bill will lower hopefuly and my vets wont do payment plans we tried it before are cat mewlittle was attacked and lost her eye on jan 23rd 2012 dropped her off we had no money so we kept he there tell feb 3rd because are car decided to get a flat on the 1st

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shes working on it she is trying to figure out money we have allot of bills and they cost allot we just got done paying a big one and every time we have money saved up for there shots for when they are do we end up with a pet emergancy every time my we get paid on the 1st and we have to feed the rest of the money threw the rest of the month and this month are bills were higher then normal and we ran out to fast and i think my mom said dec we are having the same problem with the money jan the bill will lower hopefuly and my vets wont do payment plans we tried it before are cat mewlittle was attacked and lost her eye on jan 23rd 2012 dropped her off we had no money so we kept he there tell feb 3rd because are car decided to get a flat on the 1st
Mewlittle,

that sounds very difficult, these are very hard times we are living in.  If you go to the 'Health' Forum there are some sticky links at the very top, before the threads.  There is one called 'What to do if you can't afford a vet'.  I didn't know how to paste the link right here.  Hope that helps and good luck!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay then explain how people get siamese cats of the streets are you counting them as a short hair and not siamese? >
A pointed domestic is no more a Siamese than a long haired mogg is a Coonie

Likewise with tailless domestics, it's a gene that shows up in domestic populations doesn't mean a cat has any ped ancestory

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Likewise with tailless domestics, it's a gene that shows up in domestic populations doesn't mean a cat has any ped ancestory
Pantaloons was not a domestic, my dear.  He was a Cymric that somehow got separated from his owner.

I do know the difference between a Manx and a domestic BTW. My neighbor was a professional photographer for US cat shows.  My vet, a cat only vet, also confirmed the breed.  Having now had 3 purebred Manx/Cymric, with both Champion and G. Champion lineage, I believe I am qualified to say Pantaloons was a purebred Cymric.  Even purebreds can end up as strays.  How fortunate I was that my beloved Pantaloons found me.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was not a tailless domestic my dear. It was a Cymric that got away from it's owner somehow.
Unless he was microchipped and traced back to his breeder, I'm not sure how anyone could know for sure :dk:. Cymrics are so incredibly rare that the chances are practically nil. But I suppose anything is possible. . .

All breed characteristics in cats are naturally occurring mutations that do show up in the general domestic cat population.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless he was microchipped and traced back to his breeder, I'm not sure how anyone could know for sure :dk:. Cymrics are so incredibly rare that the chances are practically nil. But I suppose anything is possible. . .

All breed characteristics in cats are naturally occurring mutations that do show up in the general domestic cat population.
Exactly, but some dislike knowing how slim the odds are

Vets are not at all qualified in knowing breeds as we've seen here time and again

Also wonder how many Manx/Cymric your friend photographed, would have to be a huge amount to know the standard so well
A cat judge would be a far more reputable source than a photographer

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unless he was microchipped and traced back to his breeder, I'm not sure how anyone could know for sure
. Cymrics are so incredibly rare that the chances are practically nil. But I suppose anything is possible. . .
Well, in my case it was possible.  This was not a naturally occurring mutation, Pantaloons was a classic Manx in all ways, from his behaviour to his perfectly formed head and cradle tufted ears, rumpy tail and high hind legs. His eyes were copper, which would be rare for a domestic.  He could have been a show cat, according to my neighbor.  No, he was not a domestic tailless cat.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Exactly, but some dislike knowing how slim the odds are
Vets are not at all qualified in knowing breeds as we've seen here time and again
Also wonder how many Manx/Cymric your friend photographed, would have to be a huge amount to know the standard so well
A cat judge would be a far more reputable source than a photographer
It doesn't matter to me what the odds were.  But it does seem to matter to you to prove that this was not a manx somehow.  Having owned this breed for the past 20 years, I am sure that you know much more than I do.  Once again......
  I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, see, most people are used to dogs, who almost all have some identifiable breed in them. And cats don't. There are VERY few purebred cats, relative to the general cat population---maybe 5%, although even that may be a high guess. So 95% or more of cats are not purebred or purebred mixes. Yet almost everybody absolutely insists to the death that their cat is purebred or a purebred mix, like their dog. For both the purebred enthusiasts and those who prefer moggies in their own right, it can get a little old.

But I imagine that every now and then a purebred does get loose. And survives long enough to be picked up as a stray. But not very often.

To illustrate, TICA and CFA registrations combined were about 60,000 in 2004 (last year I could find data for). And there are estimated to be about 90 million pet cats in the U.S.. Even assuming that there are a lot of disreputable breeders who don't register their cats, even if there's 10 times as many unregistered purebreds, that's still less than 1%. Less than .01%, in fact.

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mewlittle,

that sounds very difficult, these are very hard times we are living in.  If you go to the 'Health' Forum there are some sticky links at the very top, before the threads.  There is one called 'What to do if you can't afford a vet'.  I didn't know how to paste the link right here.  Hope that helps and good luck!
i'll go look at it as soon as i go to any hard ware stores i'm buying a handle for the door so i can separate the 2 cats and try to get them fixed as possible if mikaela didn't get prego getting the handle will prevant one until i can get them fixed

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, see, most people are used to dogs, who almost all have some identifiable breed in them. And cats don't. There are VERY few purebred cats, relative to the general cat population---maybe 5%, although even that may be a high guess. So 95% or more of cats are not purebred or purebred mixes. Yet almost everybody absolutely insists to the death that their cat is purebred or a purebred mix, like their dog. For both the purebred enthusiasts and those who prefer moggies in their own right, it can get a little old.
But I imagine that every now and then a purebred does get loose. And survives long enough to be picked up as a stray. But not very often.
I totally agree, but in this case it did happen.  Cymrics have very identifiable features and this one had all the classics.  Again, owning registered purebred Cymric/Manx for the past twenty something years, I do know a little bit about this breed for heaven's sake.  I don't care if Pantaloons was or wasn't a Cymric, which he was, BTW.  I am just lucky he came into my life and introduced me to this wonderful breed of cat.  I do also have a tailed domestic as well.   

Last edited: