question about maine coons

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you test you have no idea if a cat has FeLV and/or FIV until they show symptoms, which happens some time after the original infection.  By that time the cat is quite ill.
mikaela was tested when she was breast feeding her kits and right after that the vet became a A** so i stopped going there and they didnt wan to spay while she was breast feeding

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a 12 week re-testing period on cats who have been outside, you can't just test when they return. 

And cats are perfectly fine to be spayed while still nursing a litter, obviously wait until the kittens are around the 10 week mark, but she can still nurse afterwards.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay then explain how people get siamese cats of the streets are you counting them as a short hair and not siamese?

i asked this question on these thread so i can pervant a pregnancy
You don't get Siamese of the street, just pointed shorthair cats of unknown origin that look a bit like a Siamese.

You already know how to prevent pregnancy - neuter both cats straight away.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAHAHAHAHA you thought i got himfrom a breeder HAHAHAHAA no i did not found Michael starving to death outside
Hahahahahah (why are we laughing?) Did he have his pedigree papers attached to him when you found him as you're so sure he's a Maine Coon? Must have been a sight! But seriously, I'm glad you rescued him.

And no, the pointed kitties on the streets are not Siamese, and very rarely even resemble them at all.

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You don't get Siamese of the street, just pointed shorthair cats of unknown origin that look a bit like a Siamese.

You already know how to prevent pregnancy - neuter both cats straight away.
Most reputable purebred breeders would have at a minumum a verbal contract that the cat they are selling you will not be going outdoors.  I know my breeder would not sell to anyone who even mentioned the outside possibility.  Likewise, most owners of purebreds do not allow their cats out.  So it does lessen the odds even further considering there are such few purebreds to start with.

That said, sometimes they do get away, it is just extremely rare.   I recall a co worker from long ago who's purebred somehow squeezed through a cracked open window.  She never saw her again, and just hoped someone got her that loved her.  Personally, I couldn't live with my self if any of my cats ever disappeared, it would tear me up knowing they were out there in lord knows what situation.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I couldn't live with my self if any of my cats ever disappeared, it would tear me up knowing they were out there in lord knows what situation.
Would be awful, partly why reputable breeders (& shelters) microchip cats before sale

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would be awful, partly why reputable breeders (& shelters) microchip cats before sale
Not always here, some leave that up to the owner to decide. Micro chipping has not been widely available here in the states for all that long, either.  Maybe 15 years or so?  And if someone picked up a nice looking cat, they might not turn them in to be ID'd.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not always here, some leave that up to the owner to decide. Micro chipping has not been widely available here in the states for all that long, either.  Maybe 15 years or so?  And if someone picked up a nice looking cat, they might not turn them in to be ID'd.
15 years is quite long enough for word to spread, many US breeder do microchip. The US is often behind other countries for some reason in animal matters (declawing as one example) but there are shelters and breeders who are up to date and do microchip. 

There are some amazing stories of cats being reunited with owners thanks to microchipping, it's at least something that can help should the worst happen and your cat gets lost. 

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
15 years is quite long enough for word to spread, many US breeder do microchip. The US is often behind other countries for some reason in animal matters (declawing as one example) but there are shelters and breeders who are up to date and do microchip. 

There are some amazing stories of cats being reunited with owners thanks to microchipping, it's at least something that can help should the worst happen and your cat gets lost. 
Totally agree on all points. 
 Mine all are.  It was not available in Pantaloon's
 time, sadly  I'm just glad he found me.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been possible to get a cat microchipped in the UK for 20 years - I had my two original kittens I got in 1992 chipped.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been possible to get a cat micro chipped in the UK for 20 years - I had my two original kittens I got in 1992 chipped.
I got 2 cats micro chipped in 1999 here in the states for the first time.  Even then the vet said not every facility had the chip reader.    It is sad but true the US is very behind on animal matters (and other things as well)   No only do we still perform declaws here (and docking and other atrocities) it's acceptable practice in many areas. 
  I hope someday that changes.  Some more progressive cities are banning these practices, but the majority of places still do it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there was an issue with US chips too, not all scanners could read all chips

Hopefully they've gone universal now?

The chips here can be read worldwide

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  same here in Canada. My dog will be 9 years old in a couple of weeks, and he has one of the old-school chips that aren't used any more.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think there was an issue with US chips too, not all scanners could read all chips
Hopefully they've gone universal now?
The chips here can be read worldwide
I believe there is now a universal scanner, hopefully in all facilities but not sure.  The other problem is some chip manufacturers only maintain a database for their own chips, not the competitor's, so it gets very confusing as far as the actual registered data base of micro chipped pets.

Last edited:

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Maine Coon's breeder did not microchip but I had Roxy chipped after we got her, like I do with all my cats/dogs.

Actually I don't know about breeders but most shelters here microchip now...in fact my dog I found as a stray in 1998 it turned out she was microchipped at some point before that, unfortunately the chip was either not working, did not scan the several times she was scanned, or was missed... I had her microchipped once it became clear we weren't going to find the previous owner and I decided to keep her, and I had no idea she already had a chip, until 10+ years later when she was very sick and had a chest x-ray which clearly showed both her working chip and a second one that had moved down to her chest near her front leg...we were not able to scan it so I have no idea if it was working or registered to anyone.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chips can migrate, vets & shelters will do a full body scan (at least nowadays), they're also checked on each vet visit at least once a year.

At least you tried to find if the dog was chipped.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chips can migrate, vets & shelters will do a full body scan (at least nowadays), they're also checked on each vet visit at least once a year.
Oh my, mine have never been checked, as far as I know.  I have never seen the vet actually scan any of my cats, do they just feel for it?  Once I had them micro chipped, I never gave it much thought. Cricket's is one of the original chips too.  One time while petting him I forgot about the chip and momentarily panicked when I felt a tiny lump.  It still is in the original site they injected it.  I didn't know they could migrate, either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
by the way Mikaela is not pregnant and it went from a main coon subject to a micro chip subject weird

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
by the way Mikaela is not pregnant and it went from a main coon subject to a micro chip subject weird
If you read the posts they all flow and are still relevant to pedigree cats.

Wonderful Mikeala isn't pregnant, hopefully she's being spayed asap.