question about maine coons

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay i have a male maine coon 5mos old when do male maine coons start spraying? or father kittens or wen do the testicles drop? i need to know so i can separate Mikaela and Michael before he gets her pregnant < Michael is the maine coon 5 mos old i think one testy has already half way dropped he don't seem to have interest in her yet  and Mikaela i have no idea how old she is but old enough to mother kittens

they are in the same rooms right know but 2 weeks before he starts spraying or fathers kittens or testy drop i was going to separate them until one or both get fixed >i will get them fixed around jan most likely can't do it know money is tight

yes i know my questions are weird and i don't want unwanted kittys in the wold and i dont need more cats

thanks

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l'm not sure if Maine Coons are different from other cats, but when l took my kitten for his first exam when l got him at 11 weeks, the vet checked to see if the testes were present in the scrotum, and they were. 

He's now 5 1/2 months old (scheduled for neutering on November 22nd) and they are quite noticeable, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l'm not sure if Maine Coons are different from other cats, but when l took my kitten for his first exam when l got him at 11 weeks, the vet checked to see if the testes were present in the scrotum, and they were. 

He's now 5 1/2 months old (scheduled for neutering on November 22nd) and they are quite noticeable, lol.
lol his i cant really tell threw are the fluff by just looking he actually looks like a girl haha when i gently checked my self one i didn't really feel and the other one was bigger and i forgot when male cats testys drop does that been they can father kittens? or not i don't know much about cat sex organs since we always fixed are cats

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he's old enough to start showing interest and father kittens, if she goes into heat. Unaltered cats of opposite genders should be separated at 4 months, so you'd better separate them now, before she does go into heat. Hopefully they haven't already done the deed :/.

Testes should drop by 8-12 weeks. . .if one isn't dropped by now it probably isn't going to, and the vet will have to open him up to find it. This will probably cost extra, ask your vet. Most males don't start spraying until later---8-12 months, maybe, although some boys never spray, and some are early bloomers.

When you manage to scrape up the money, have her spayed first. Males can be fertile for a while after neutering (due to sperm retained in the tubes) so if you had him done first you still wouldn't be able to let them be together.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TBH l'm not really sure. l don't think so, at that age, but l would hate to tell you they can't, and then have your female turn up pregnant 

Hopefully a breeder will weigh in and give some real knowledge.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew, l'm glad Willowy knew better than l did. 

l'm glad yours isn't showing any interest in that case 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shame you went through a breeder who didn't alter before sale, most reputable breeders do

Willowy is quite correct, they are old enough to breed now. Females don't have to be in heat to fall pregnant either, that's just when they're receptive to the boys advances

Spraying is often line related so you'd have to ask the breeder when the site started spraying, if he does at all as not all boys spray

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females don't have to be in heat to fall pregnant either, that's just when they're receptive to the boys advances.
This is true. I just didn't think a 5-month-old boy would know enough/be confident enough to take her without her cooperation :tongue2:.

Is he from a breeder, or is he a Maine Coon-type moggie? If from a breeder, yes, ask them when their males usually start spraying.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend had her moggies together, thinking they weren't going to do anything as the male was only 4,5months old (wasn't spraying yet though)..  They ended up having kittens (female was barely a year old). 

As someone suggested, get the female spayed asap if you can't afford to fix them both yet and keep them separated until she's spayed. 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shame you went through a breeder who didn't alter before sale, most reputable breeders do
Willowy is quite correct, they are old enough to breed now. Females don't have to be in heat to fall pregnant either, that's just when they're receptive to the boys advances
Spraying is often line related so you'd have to ask the breeder when the site started spraying, if he does at all as not all boys spray
HAHAHAHAHA you thought i got himfrom a breeder HAHAHAHAA no i did not found Michael starving to death outside

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend had her moggies together, thinking they weren't going to do anything as the male was only 4,5months old (wasn't spraying yet though)..  They ended up having kittens (female was barely a year old). 

As someone suggested, get the female spayed asap if you can't afford to fix them both yet and keep them separated until she's spayed. 
I'm going to separate them one problem the door between the 2 cat rooms has no handle anymore so i'm going to need to buy a handle first then i can separate them my cats are not allowed in the other rooms because they can run out side more easily

and i got mikaela sep 15th 2011 <2 days before she gave birth rehomed her jan 2012 got her back in heat oct 28 2012 and nov 1st she snuck outside for 3 hours i was looking for her the whole time she wasn't in the cat rooms thats how she got out and if she shows signs of pregnant its most likley it wont be  michaels since he was in the cat room at the time and never meet mikaela yet oh when i bring her back in side after being gone for 3 hours she acted like she wasn't in heat anymore oh boy i hope not

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAHAHAHAHA you thought i got himfrom a breeder HAHAHAHAA no i did not found Michael starving to death outside
Not sure how that's so amusing, when you claim to have a certain breed it means you got the cats from a breeder

Your cats are not Maine coons at all, they are long haired domestics. Perhaps if you were upfront about their lack of breed there wouldn't have been any confusion

Any entire who's been outdoors should be assumed pregnant, and spayed ASAP. If you can't afford spaying then you can't afford to raise a litter as that is more expensive than spaying

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, yes, if she got out while in heat there's about a 99.9% chance she's pregnant. Better have her spayed before the prenancy progresses. Beg, borrow, pawn something for the money. If you're having trouble finding money for spays/neuters there's no way you can properly raise kittens--they eat like horses and use tons of litter. Plus shots and de-worming. . .much more expensive than a spay. Really, if you've had her over a year you really should have the money saved up by now :/. Even putting aside just $10 a month would have covered it.

And, yes, if you didn't get him from a breeder he's not a Maine Coon. Just a big handsome longhaired fella :D.

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure how that's so amusing, when you claim to have a certain breed it means you got the cats from a breeder
Your cats are not Maine coons at all, they are long haired domestics. Perhaps if you were upfront about their lack of breed there wouldn't have been any confusion
Any entire who's been outdoors should be assumed pregnant, and spayed ASAP. If you can't afford spaying then you can't afford to raise a litter as that is more expensive than spaying
okay then explain how people get siamese cats of the streets are you counting them as a short hair and not siamese? and i know maine coons michael is one i saw a female maine coon pregnant hanging around 2 mos later michael started to show up wen he was 2 mos old on my porch starving and she was the mom he was fallowing her she was fallowing him and the mom went missing i do not own the mom of michael but i wish she was mine all my cats were fixed and up to date on shots until oct 28th the person who took in mikaela couldnt keep her and wanted to send her to her death so i took her back the same day we took her back we officaly took michael in since no one was claiming him and i'm going to get them fixed as soon as possiple and the only reasone why mikaela had kittens in my house its because i found her pregnant that was the first day i meet her sept 15th 2011 so dont judge you don,t live my life if it wan't for me there would be 10 dead cats and 2 dead dogs i saved them i asked this question on these thread so i can pervant a pregnancy

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, yes, if she got out while in heat there's about a 99.9% chance she's pregnant. Better have her spayed before the prenancy progresses. Beg, borrow, pawn something for the money. If you're having trouble finding money for spays/neuters there's no way you can properly raise kittens--they eat like horses and use tons of litter. Plus shots and de-worming. . .much more expensive than a spay. Really, if you've had her over a year you really should have the money saved up by now :/. Even putting aside just $10 a month would have covered it.
And, yes, if you didn't get him from a breeder he's not a Maine Coon. Just a big handsome longhaired fella
um i got her sept 15th 2011 and rehomed her jan 1 2012 and just got her back unexpectedly and i have nothing to pawn and my pawn shop SUCKS and i know that

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And, yes, if you didn't get him from a breeder he's not a Maine Coon. Just a big handsome long haired fella
I actually had a long haired Manx, a Cymric, find me as a stray in New Orleans.  I was so fortunate and I named him Pantaloons

How he got away is beyond me and I could not locate the owner. 

My neighbor at the time was a photographer for cat shows, and she knew exactly what my rare and beautiful cat was.  When I did further research, he fit all the qualifications as a show cat.  He was a wonderful cat.  Unfortunately, from being on the street he tested positive for FeLV.  It was such a shame for such a beautiful cat, but I did my best to keep him alive for several years.  He died of Lymphoma at an unknown age

Because of Pantaloons, I have now had three other beloved Manx/Cymrics.  Toby Tyler

and my new kittens Rufus Riley and Clancy O'Malley.  All of these cats did come from the same breeder and I knew the lineage and the temperament of the cats I was getting.  

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She shouldn't have been rehomed unspayed either. . .but that's done. Right now, she almost certainly IS pregnant and you're going to have to do something. Whether you scrape up the money for an e-spay or scrape up the money to raise kittens, you'll have to find the money somewhere. Either way, it's too late for anything else.

Have you looked into low-cost spay/neuter programs in your area? If you tell people your general location someone might know.

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She shouldn't have been rehomed unspayed either. . .but that's done. Right now, she almost certainly IS pregnant and you're going to have to do something. Whether you scrape up the money for an e-spay or scrape up the money to raise kittens, you'll have to find the money somewhere. Either way, it's too late for anything else.
Have you looked into low-cost spay/neuter programs in your area? If you tell people your general location someone might know.
psst my area sucks for about everything and the reason why she was rehomed not spayed the person had app scheduled for her but i guess he never took her i lost contact with him and his vet changed there location and he re contacted me threw my phone number i just turned back on

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh and if i get her spayed now i would have to do shots the vac tags would say 2012 it wont make sens to have a cat warring a 2012 tag threw 2013year

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are being given excellent advice. Instead of dismissing it without even trying, do some internet research right now, find all the phone numbers you can, and start calling around for spay/neuter clinic information on Tuesday.

Or, give the name of your state and possibly your city, and perhaps someone here can do some research for you.

It would really be better if this poor cat did not have to have another litter. And as has been mentioned, raising kittens costs way more than spaying. And what if something goes wrong? Vet bills for that type of thing can be very high.

Do please try to find a way to have her spayed now. It will be better for you, and for her.

Good luck.