Probiotics, Digestive Enzyme, Omega 3s

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an 8 year old cat that was sick a few weeks ago. She was vomiting, her blood work/urinalysis was normal, fecal test was also normal (although i suspected she might've had tapeworms since last summer we had a flea infestation and i did not dewormed her, so I am thinking of asking my vet for drontal). She had stopped vomiting, and seems okay now, but yesterday her tummy is a bit firm. I checked the litter box and she is peeing and some poop seems hard as its made up of little balls stucked together. I gave her a bit of pumpkin in her food, also some laxatone, and last night I gave her vaseline. This morning she threw up a hairball. So I am thinking she has hairballs that are hard to pass.

I've been doing my research and I want to add supplements to her diet. She is eating Nutro perfect portions, and Wild Frontier. I want to switch her to Instinct or better, just ordered Weruva too.

What brands do you guys use for your babies? For probiotics, i am trying to pick between "All Natural Pet Probiotic Blend", "Nexabiotic", "Natural Factors", or "Renew Life Ultimate Flora 15 billion". But I can't decide which to go with. Also would love suggestions for a digestive enzyme, and do they need digestive enzyme if supplementing probiotics? Also what about omega 3s?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's good info on probiotics:

www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/probiotics-for-cats---why-and-which-ones.html
Probiotics Search - Human Grade and CFUs

Just pick one brand of probiotic and see if it works for your cat. Use up the entire bottle before deciding to trying something different. You could decide on the same brand but higher CFU or a different brand that may have different strains of bacteria.

Digestive enzymes aren't necessary but they won't hurt most cats either. Some cats can't tolerate digestive enzymes. If you want to give digestive enzymes a try, ProZyme and Dr. GoodPet are two brands. You can find both on Amazon. Here's some info on digestive enzymes:

Digestive Enzyme Supplements: Breaking Down the Evidence

Omega 3s aren't necessary, IMO. Fish oil supplements are the most common. I think you can get omega 3 treats, too. Canned fish in water as an occasional treat are good for omega 3s.

Hairballs can be treated with hairbal gels or a raw egg yolk or egg lecitin and plenty of brushing.

If your cat is eating a good quality food, there's really no need for any sort of supplementation. Too many supplements can do more harm than good.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I was thinking the same thing, --that you don't want to do too much, although LTS3 LTS3 did a better job of explaining things :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Just pick one brand of probiotic and see if it works for your cat. Use up the entire bottle before deciding to trying something different. You could decide on the same brand but higher CFU or a different brand that may have different strains of bacteria.

Digestive enzymes aren't necessary but they won't hurt most cats either. Some cats can't tolerate digestive enzymes. If you want to give digestive enzymes a try, ProZyme and Dr. GoodPet are two brands. You can find both on Amazon. Here's some info on digestive enzymes:

Omega 3s aren't necessary, IMO. Fish oil supplements are the most common. I think you can get omega 3 treats, too. Canned fish in water as an occasional treat are good for omega 3s.

Hairballs can be treated with hairbal gels or a raw egg yolk or egg lecitin and plenty of brushing.

If your cat is eating a good quality food, there's really no need for any sort of supplementation. Too many supplements can do more harm than good.
Which probiotic and digestive enzyme would you go with?

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I was thinking the same thing, --that you don't want to do too much, although LTS3 LTS3 did a better job of explaining things :)
i would introduce it one by one, in your opinion which would you start with?

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
theres 2 prozyme on amazon. which one is the correct brand you guys recommend?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the ProZyme you want: https://www.amazon.com/Prozyme-All-Natural-Enzyme-Dietary-Supplement/dp/B00063KI9E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549332076&sr=8-3&keywords=prozyme+cats

Start with just a sprinkle, not the 1/4 teaspoon per cup of dry food the product recommends. This is to avoid an upset tummy. It's best to mix digestive enzymes and probiotics into canned food than dry food.

With probiotics, start with a low CFU to avoid tummy issues and slowly work your way up as needed. 10 billion CFU is a good starting point.

Natural Factors is a good basic probiotic to start with.

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the ProZyme you want: https://www.amazon.com/Prozyme-All-Natural-Enzyme-Dietary-Supplement/dp/B00063KI9E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549332076&sr=8-3&keywords=prozyme+cats

Start with just a sprinkle, not the 1/4 teaspoon per cup of dry food the product recommends. This is to avoid an upset tummy. It's best to mix digestive enzymes and probiotics into canned food than dry food.

With probiotics, start with a low CFU to avoid tummy issues and slowly work your way up as needed. 10 billion CFU is a good starting point.

Natural Factors is a good basic probiotic to start with.
Thanks, would Natural Factors still work if she has IBD? I am not sure if she does but she has all the symptoms I read when we checked her bloodwork it was normal. Also what about those salmon oil in a pump jar i keep seeing on amazon is that beneficial?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any probiotic can be helpful for IBD. It still might take trying a few different ones to see what helps your cat. My IBD cat is on Renew Life Ultimate Flora 50 billion CFU.

IBD is diagnosed by ultrasound and biopsy. Some people opt not to do a biopsy for various reasons.

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

I don't think fish oil of any kind of helpful for IBD but it also won't hurt. Be wary of all those supplements found on Amazon, etc and recommended by web sites. There's a lot of false claims and misinformation about the product and how great and beneficial it is. Most pets don't need any supplements at all. Ask your vet about any supplements you want to try.

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any probiotic can be helpful for IBD. It still might take trying a few different ones to see what helps your cat. My IBD cat is on Renew Life Ultimate Flora 50 billion CFU.

IBD is diagnosed by ultrasound and biopsy. Some people opt not to do a biopsy for various reasons.

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

I don't think fish oil of any kind of helpful for IBD but it also won't hurt. Be wary of all those supplements found on Amazon, etc and recommended by web sites. There's a lot of false claims and misinformation about the product and how great and beneficial it is. Most pets don't need any supplements at all. Ask your vet about any supplements you want to try.
I am trying to buy it now on amazon. So far i have egg yolk lecithin, slippery elm bark, and dr good pet feline digestive enzyme.

Which probiotic would you recommend to use with the dr goodpet digestive enzyme? Im torn between natural factors, nexabiotic, or renew life 15 billion? Her symptoms was throwing up (recently was a hairball), appetite isnt well, and her tunmy feels firm she might be constipated as her poop are balls.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, it really doesn't matter which brand of probiotics you use as long as it works for your cat. Every cat responds differently to probiotics. What works for one cat may not work for another. Natural Factors is a good basic probiotic so start with that if you're unsure. Use up the bottle and then decide if you need to try something different.

Probiotics and digestive enzymes won't resolve IBD if the cat isn't also taking pred and maybe other meds to treat the inflammation and other symptoms. The vet needs to get a confirmed diagnosis and treat the cat accordingly.

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went with nexabiotic :( i didnt see your message until now. I placed my order at 4am. I ordered nexabiotic, dr good pet digestive enzyme, slippery elm bark, and egg yolk lecithin. Which should i give her first?

Im just worried about her still. She doesn’t have her appetite yet. Her tummy is still firm. I also ordered natures variety instinct limited ingredient turkey. (I should have gotten the rabbit but it was pricey) So i can change her food if it is the problem. What other brand/food do you guys recommend?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise

I was hoping to see the probiotic I use in this document. FortiFlora.

FortiFlora® Probiotic Supplement for Cat Diarrhea

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is nexabiotic still good if she has constipation? My order is coming today. Or should i go agead and order natural factors?

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How would you give the following to your cat? I have the following on the way:
-nexabiotic
-dr good pet digestive enzyme
-slippery elm bark
-egg yolk lecithin

Two weeks ago from today, she was throwing up white foamy liquid up to 5x a day. This happened for 5 days. Her bloodwork/urinalysis and fecal test is normal.
She started to feel better and was drinking and eating again.

I am still worried about her. She has a lack of appetite, and firm stomach and she coughed up a hairball yesterday afternoon. What should i give her first?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nexabiotic is ok to use. Just be aware that it contains maltodextrin which can cause an upset tummy in some sensitive cats.

I'd add one at a time and wait a couple of days before adding another one. You want to make sure your cat doesn't have a reaction like an upset tummy.

Give no more than one probiotic capsule daily, I split it one capsule between breakfast and dinner to avoid an upset tummy. The capsule can be pulled apart and carefully put back together again. Just don't put the partial capsule back into the bottle ;) I have a small food storage container labeled just for partial probiotic capsules.

I'd start with probiotics first. Digestive enzymes can be next. Give a sprinkle, maybe half of a 1/8 teaspoon or even less than that.I don't have experience with slipper elm bark or egg yolk lecitin.

If your vet isn't giving you answers on why your cat isn't eating, etc then seek out another vet. A veterinary internal medicine vet is great. Bring copies of your cat's medical records with you for the vet to review.

Last edited:

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nexabiotic is fine to use.

I'd add one at a time and wait a couple of days before adding another one. You want to make sure your cat doesn't have a reaction like an upset tummy.

Give no more than one probiotic capsule daily, I split it one capsule between breakfast and dinner to avoid an upset tummy. The capsule can be pulled apart and carefully put back together again. Just don't put the partial capsule back into the bottle ;) I have a small food storage container labeled just for partial probiotic capsules.

I'd start with probiotics first. Digestive enzymes can be next. Give a sprinkle, maybe half of a 1/8 teaspoon or even less than that.

If your vet isn't giving you answers on why your cat isn't eating, etc then seek out another vet. A veterinary internal medicine vet is great. Bring copies of your cat's medical records with you for the vet to review.
Thanks so much, I also posted here if you can please give me your input
Does This Look Like Worms Or Cat Grass?

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nexabiotic is ok to use. Just be aware that it contains maltodextrin which can cause an upset tummy in some sensitive cats.

I'd start with probiotics first. Digestive enzymes can be next. Give a sprinkle, maybe half of a 1/8 teaspoon or even less than that.I don't have experience with slipper elm bark or egg yolk lecitin.

How long should i wait between products? I suspect she’s constipated or has hairballs stuck inside her. She’s peeing fine and pooping. I saw either a worm or wheatgrass in her poop i posted a pic of it in the link i sent you earlier and theres also hair in her poop. I just gave her 1/2 nexabiotic in natures instinct lid turkey. Im worried because shes only eating very little.