Egg Lecithin for Hairballs

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With 3 long hair cats here, hairballs are an issue.
Lucky had a blockage in the past that made her very sick for quite a while and she has issues from time to time.

Bugsy has issues sometimes as well and while he wasn't blocked, he had an e-vet visit in the middle of the night, and had to go to the vet a couple of times for medication to stop throwing up, etc.

Luckily, they are not shedding as much anymore since they have been on raw. Lucky's problem got WAY better too..... but it is not 100% better.

On my research trying to find a more natural solution for hairballs, I found out that a lot of raw feeders add Egg Lecithin to their cats diet to get rid or Hair balls. The usual dosage is 1/2 capsule 2x per week.

That seems to keep the major problems at bay - no throwing up, no lack of appetite, no actual hairballs, and I see that they are passing lots of hair on their poop :nod:

But Bugsy is still hacking once in a while - I would say once every couple of days - not too much, but a little bit. I am thinking he needs more...... He is a compulsive groomer. He is awake, he is grooming :rolleyes:

I am thinking of giving Bugsy a every other day dosage or every day. Maybe everyday until the hacking is gone, then every other day.....

Anyways, I opened this thread so those who give Egg Lecithin can discuss the dosage they use.

By the way, this is the one I see that is recommended everywhere, so it is the one I use too: Egg Lecithin

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I give Callie, who only weighs 7.4 lbs, one capsule of the egg yolk lecithin per day!  She was having lot of hairball issues earlier on this fall, and since I increased to once a day, no more problems, not even loose stools.  Since Bugsy weighs quite a bit more than Callie, what you are proposing shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm using half a capsule daily for each cat. I'm also partially using it because of the choline content, not just for hairballs. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I give Callie, who only weighs 7.4 lbs, one capsule of the egg yolk lecithin per day!  She was having lot of hairball issues earlier on this fall, and since I increased to once a day, no more problems, not even loose stools.  Since Bugsy weighs quite a bit more than Callie, what you are proposing shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think. 

I'm using half a capsule daily for each cat. I'm also partially using it because of the choline content, not just for hairballs. :nod:
Oh good to know that! Laurie, I didn't even realized it had choline - that's awesome!! :clap::clap::clap:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of ordering this to have on hand for occasional use.  My cats do not often have a problem with hairballs but I see "the cough" every once in a while and of course I want to do something to help them.  I'm guessing it would be okay to use on an "as needed basis" for cats like this.

One question....the link to the Nature's Plus product says "Veg Caps" and one nearly identical to it on amazon says "Capsules."  I just want to make sure I'm buying something that could be opened and sprinkled on their food.  Would that be veg caps, capsules, or either.  I couldn't tell by reading the product descriptions.  Thanks.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just increased Mazy to half a capsule every 2 days. (Dose, skip two days, dose, skip two days etc) Queen Eva is getting the other half one of those doses, and Jennie gets the other half next time, so each of them are getting it every four days.

I am giving it alone, on an empty stomach, so it can go right to any hair balls forming. They love it and lick the powder right up. I feed a meal 15 minutes later.

A reminder to anyone new to the product, once you open the bottle, keep it in the refrigerator.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking of ordering this to have on hand for occasional use.  My cats do not often have a problem with hairballs but I see "the cough" every once in a while and of course I want to do something to help them.  I'm guessing it would be okay to use on an "as needed basis" for cats like this.

One question....the link to the Nature's Plus product says "Veg Caps" and one nearly identical to it on amazon says "Capsules."  I just want to make sure I'm buying something that could be opened and sprinkled on their food.  Would that be veg caps, capsules, or either.  I couldn't tell by reading the product descriptions.  Thanks.
I don't know that it works that way, or that quickly. I used it for about a month when Lazlo (who has not normal stomach issues because of his previous cancerous tumor in his tummy) threw up a pile of hairballs. We're now six weeks from that event, and there have been no further signs of problems with hairballs.

As it lasts in the fridge, you might want to consider giving the minimum dose - 1/2 capsule 2x a week - as a preventative, rather than waiting until there's an "as needed" basis. :dk:

The capsules by Nature's Plus are pull-apart - you sprinkle them out onto food (or an empty bowl for them to lick up. :lol3: ).

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As it lasts in the fridge, you might want to consider giving the minimum dose - 1/2 capsule 2x a week - as a preventative, rather than waiting until there's an "as needed" basis.
Good idea.  Thanks.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Flash was getting raw egg yolk three times a week after advice from laurie (which has been an absolute life saver) for her hair balls shes down to once a week just to keep them at bay, and we havent had a hairball in weeks now! I couldnt find anyway close to get the powder stuff but this has worked fabulous here

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to try another brand.

The Nature's Plus has Di-calcium phosphate (other ingredients: Di-calcium phosphate, silica, vegetable cellulose (USP) and purified water). which I've read some troubling things about. I've e-mailed Nature's Plus about it, but so far they have not replied to any of my questions. Maybe it's just part of the capsule? I wish these labels would be more clear about what ingredients are part of the capsule and which are part of the contents only.

I have also written to Swanson, asking about their "other ingredients" and if they are part of the capsule or part of the contents. Their other ingredients are : Gelatin, magnesium stearate, rice flour. I only just wrote to them. I'll post any replies from either manufacturer here.

I have been using Nature's Plus Since October 17. This is what I have just ordered to try.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just comparing them, and was planning to switch to the Swanson because it has a higher phosphatidylcholine content. :nod:

Magnesium stearate is an anti-caking agent (if I'm remembering correctly), so it would be in the lecithin, not the capsule. Personally, I feel the amount of that and rice flour is small enough they shouldn't be an issue. :dk: I'm feeding 1/2 a capsule once daily.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great minds think alike, eh Laurie? :D :lol3:

I have heard from Swanson already! It's a pity Nature's Plus can't ever be bothered to reply to requests for information, they have lost my custom. :)

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Swanson Health Products!

We apologize for any confusion and we are happy to help. Please note that the gelatin is what makes up the capsule, and the magnesium stearate and rice flour are flow agents that are mixed in with the egg lecithin during the manufacture of the product.

We hope this helps clarify! If there is anything we can do to further assist you, please let us know.

Our quality, value and customer service have made Swanson Health Products a trusted source of nutritional supplements since 1969. To help us build this privileged relationship with you, we welcome your comments and suggestions, as it is our pleasure to serve you at any time.
Ps The Swanson costs a little less, too. I ordered two bottles of 60 capsules, which means for 120 capsules, with the small shipping cost, came to almost exactly the same as I paid for the Nature's Plus, for 90.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did quite a bit of research, and for some reason, all I saw recommended for cats (usually by raw feeders, but some Persian breeders use it too), was Nature's Plus. All with good results..... Since I too am having good results, I am keeping my kitties with them.
For now, since Bugsy was hacking for a bit, I am giving him 1 capsule a day - the hacking has completely stopped.

Lucky and Hope get 1/2 capsule a day now.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature's Plus is what I see recommended for cats, too Carolina, but that may just be because Nature's Plus was the only brand making egg yolk lecithin until recently. Some of the articles I read about it were dated from as far back as 2009 I think and they mention Nature's Plus (and of course specify to NOT use soy lecithin).

Now, Swanson also has an egg yolk lecithin product, with different 'other ingredients' so now we have a choice. I like choices. :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! Let us know how it goes!
For me, especially with Bugsy, if it ain't broken, I don't fix. It took a while for me to get him to eat with no effects.... Not rocking that boat. I am just super happy it works, he is off petroleum and I won't go to the er with blocked cat from Hairballs!
Oh, and glad they LOVE it too!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nature's Plus is what I see recommended for cats, too Carolina, but that may just be because Nature's Plus was the only brand making egg yolk lecithin until recently. Some of the articles I read about it were dated from as far back as 2009 I think and they mention Nature's Plus (and of course specify to NOT use soy lecithin).
Now, Swanson also has an egg yolk lecithin product, with different 'other ingredients' so now we have a choice. I like choices. :)
:nod: That was the same conclusion I came to. These are the only egg yolk lecithin products out there. There are phosphatidylcholine supplements, but they come from soy.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'll be anxious to hear what you two think of the Swanson product, as I'm going to need to reorder soon.  Let us know!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be sure to update. My girls love the Nature's Plus stuff, eat it straight even. I hope they like the Swanson as well. I never did hear back from Nature's Plus. That's the third or fourth time I've tried to contact them. There is no phone number, just the contact form to fill out. Poor customer service makes me inclined to not want to use any product from the company, anyway.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature's Plus Phone number: 631-293-0030

Natural Organics Laboratories Inc - makers of Nature's Plus 631-293-0030 - for questions about products, Ext:5

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Carolina, I was just coming in to post about the reply I finally got from them, after sending at least four requests for information over the past four weeks.

The two questions I had asked in these "contact us" forms were about the refrigeration (I had forgotten to put the bottle in the fridge after opening, for 2 days) and about the Di-calcium phosphate.

Thank you for your recent email regarding the Nature’s Plus product “Egg Yolk Lecithin”. Your concerns and questions are very important to us.

Experience has shown us that inquiries like yours are answered with a greater degree of satisfaction when handled over the telephone. We therefore ask that you please call us at (631) 293-0030 or (800) 645-9500, where our knowledgeable staff will be happy to answer all of your questions.

Yours in Good Health,

Natural Organics, Inc.
Well guess what I don't WANT to make phone calls, LOL. They've lost my business.