Premature Kitten - Later Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having that smaller syringe, antibiotic of penicillin very well may make the difference for him to survive. The fact that you new have access to both the small syringe and penicillin is very encouraging. The vet does not know how dedicated and determined YOU are in keeping this little fellow alive!!;)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Warm up the fluids in a water bath. IF you use micro mix really good. Otherwise danger for nasty burns

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay i am supposed to give him approx. 1 ml of SQ every hour or every two hours. I only have 2 mLs left. He is still very dehydrated and I think fluids make him a bit sleepy, but he is doing much better than just a few hours ago. I'm worried he won't have enough though, and that he's still not properly hydrated. For every feeding I'm substituting water for pedialyte, but I'm not sure it's helping so much.
I want to call the vets office and ask about buying a whole 'nother bag of fluids and hopefully some butterfly needles too, but I'm not sure that's "allowed". I might have to schedule a totally new appointment which I cannot do again because I don't have enough to cover the visit alone. Do you guys have experience with this sort of thing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At this point, since you've already seen the vet, and the vet knows the kitten's issues, they should gladly sell you more sub-q fluids without another visit.

Call and ask, and hopefully you can run and pick some up.

I'm beginning to wonder if Dewey is having liver problems with his dark urine. I wonder if a vitamin B shot would help him.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay i am supposed to give him approx. 1 ml of SQ every hour or every two hours. I only have 2 mLs left. He is still very dehydrated and I think fluids make him a bit sleepy, but he is doing much better than just a few hours ago. I'm worried he won't have enough though, and that he's still not properly hydrated. For every feeding I'm substituting water for pedialyte, but I'm not sure it's helping so much.
I want to call the vets office and ask about buying a whole 'nother bag of fluids and hopefully some butterfly needles too, but I'm not sure that's "allowed". I might have to schedule a totally new appointment which I cannot do again because I don't have enough to cover the visit alone. Do you guys have experience with this sort of thing?
It's allowed. When I had to sub-q my cat I just walked in and purchased both the fluid and needles without the vet appt.
They also let me returned the unused as long as it was never opened. (the fluid bag came in a sealed bag)

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll definitely ask the vet about that. She was worried he wasn't fully developed at birth and his problems are all connected. He's just too little to get a proper examination done. I called and left a message about the fluids, it's currently 6pm so they weren't in sadly enough, 5pm at the time I called
I wasted a bit when he squirmed and pulled it out of his skin
Should I try pedialyte in between meals as well?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can, but if it fills him up, he won't be able to eat enough to get proper nutrition. He needs his nutrition just as much.

You should stop by your vet's office in the morning.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! I've been having fun searching through all these old forums. A bit afraid they'd be too inactive for me to get responses, but my worry has been relieved.
So, about 2 and half weeks ago, 17 - 15 days ago to be exact, my friend called me and let me know someone had brought her very small kittens with intention of having her mom kitty be a surrogate. Apparently, the people called her beforehand and asked if she would let her mom cat nurse her 3 week old kittens. Well... the kittens she had brought over were definitely NOT three weeks old, and mom cat did her best but the little guys couldn't compete with her bigger babies. She bathed them, they still had afterbirth all over, chilling them , and her owner placed her in such a way she could feed them at least once until I came for them in the morning.
Okay, so these are literally the smallest kittens I've ever seen in my life. I get there and almost start shaking because I actually have never seen such tiny creatures-- still breathing!
There were four total, I was told. One kitten died during the night, and the next died the following day. 19 hours later the next kitten died. I was heart broken but I knew I had done my best. These kittens weighed 1.8 oz, 1.9 oz, and 2.4 oz when I brought them home. They were hardly 2 inches long. (I seriously thought my friend was trying to give me baby rats.) As Im sure you can guess, the kitten who weighed 2.4 oz is the lone survivor. He is such a sweet boy and though I haven't had a decent amount of sleep in 2 weeks, I wouldnt give it back.
So we're leading to my question, slowly but surely.
A few days after the last kitten died, I had named him Tiny Tim Tom cat, I found out that their parents are brother and sister. I am also 100% sure they were premature-- no hair on legs, belly, some parts of their faces, and they were obviously very underweight (remember they were 1 day old when I got them). I named this little guy Dewey, who has already been adopted by my dad. He is exactly 17 days old today, and yesterday began to stretch his eyelids open. They're still not close to actually being open, but I can see his little left eye now. (I want to know, there's no way he's opened them too early? And if he has, what can happen? I've been concerned about him losing an eye hahahah) My kitchen scale took a crud on me about 4 days ago, so I don't have an accurate weight for him, but he is still smaller than a week old kitten. (I'll attach a photo) if I were to guess, I'd guess around 4.5-5 oz
I feed him every 2 hours still, as he is still so little and I don't want to starve him. In the beginning, he was fed every hour on the hour, and as much as he would eat. Plus about a mL of water after every feeding. (He's been steadily eating about the same amount of food since he was a week old, maybe only gone up about 1 cc or so. I should also mention though that for a 2 day period he didn't want a thing to eat, although he did eat with persistence, it was significantly less, going from 6 cc to 2 or 3 cc) He did have some bowel trouble in the middle, but he seems to be doing better about that. Other than a sore bum!
I think he's doing great! He loves the kisses and cuddles and warm heating pads and rice socks. He sneezes sometimes and it always worries me! I also tried feeding him from bottle but he decided that was too good for him, so we're back to the syringe until he gets bigger.
SO FINALLYYY
I would love to know what else I can do for him, and if I'm doing it all right. His size is a tad concerning, usually only when I see other kittens his age. But he was premature, so I did expect him to take longer. I just want to feel reassured that he is on the right path. (If I can figure out how, I'll post a before picture of Dewey as well. He has come a long way) And also, what else is there that I can do for him? The Internet doesn't have much information about care as the premature kittens get older.
Thank you so much in advance! ❤
(Remember I said the kittens were 2 inches long? Well, I wasn't kidding. Tiny Tim Tom cat was 2 inches. His brother, Dewey, and sister were 2 inches and a half. That picture was taken as soon as I got them home.
wow thank you for commenting on my thread when you've been going through all this - thank you for helping them and great tiny is doing well xx they are so so so tiny and vulnerable at that age - poor little things xx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 185168
Right before his visit to the vet. He looks much better and I think he feels much better. He was just fed and the vet administered subcutaneous fluids. He'll be back in next month for his first round of dewormer, then a couple weeks longer he'll get his boosters and when he reaches 2 pounds he'll be neutered and adopted! (Her estimation for the time that will take is 2-3 to even 4 months! :eek:)
The vet thinks he was dehydrated but believes he'll be okay now. He lost all of his siblings to FKS, it would have been a terrible shame to lose him too. I'm feeling more confident about him surviving. Go Dewey :hearthrob:
wow he's got amazingly large claws and beautiful fluffy fur!! xx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you're doing amazingly with this little guy - hope the vets sells you the fluids, thank you so much for helping this little guy, he is a very lucky kitten, really hope you can help him to pull through xxxxx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many grams is Dewey now?

Is he on just powdered KMR now mixed with pedialyte?

Are his baby teeth coming in yet?

He'll be 24 days old tomorrow if I've calculated correctly. If he can get through this rough patch he's in, I believe he will really turn the corner and take off.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
you're doing amazingly with this little guy - hope the vets sells you the fluids, thank you so much for helping this little guy, he is a very lucky kitten, really hope you can help him to pull through xxxxx
Thank you :hearthrob:
We love your support!

How many grams is Dewey now?

Is he on just powdered KMR now mixed with pedialyte?

Are his baby teeth coming in yet?

He'll be 24 days old tomorrow if I've calculated correctly. If he can get through this rough patch he's in, I believe he will really turn the corner and take off.
They are coming in! I've noticed for about 3 days now. I've been calling them his plastic vampire fangs :tongue:
He's on KMR, pedialyte, and a goat's milk mixture. He hasn't quite passed the tent test, but his skin is going down faster and his urine is much lighter.
He lost a lot of weight the past few days. I believe he was 148.4 grams right before his ordeal, and dropped to about 133 yesterday. He was at 127 at the vet's today. He'll be fed again in a few more minutes so I'll weigh him again to see where he's at. I believe he's doing much better, and I'm hopeful tomorrow brings even more good news

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright, he weighs 129g currently. I'm staying up all night so I can feed him every hour and make sure he doesn't get worse. I honestly think that he's doing much better! He ate another cc on his own! I could only manage about 2.8 cc into him this time, because his belly started to get real round and I decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to feed him less because of his weight loss and the fact that hes being fed 45 minutes early.
He started purring again! And keeping his eyes open. It's wonderful.
His urine is still an acceptable color but it's been more difficult than it has been ever these past couple feedings to get him to go. Should he be peeing more or less? Because it really seems like he's peeing less!
He just barely passed the tent test during his last feeding!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He may not need to pee every single hour. His body needs about 2 hours to digest each meal, ideally.

I am wondering about mixing a beaten egg yolk into his milk mixture to help his protein and energy level. I often suggest this for pregnant and nursing moms and kittens who need to gain weight.

It's good to hear his urine is getting more clear!

Hoping to see his weight come back up some today.

I know you are exhausted. If his weight comes back up, and with his teeth coming in, you may be able to try Gerber turkey baby food mixed in his milk soon. If this goes well, the feedings can move to 2 hours apart so you can sleep a little more.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I just read through this whole thread, I don't really have any other advice (TCS kitten experts, as usual, have given great tips), but I'd like to tell you that I think Dewey is so cute, and I love your description of him, "the biggest smallest kitten" is so accurate because this little guy is so brave and strong as he works through his medical issues. You're being an amazing purrson to him. I'm sending Dewey and you all the best wishes. :vibes:

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read through this whole thread, I don't really have any other advice (TCS kitten experts, as usual, have given great tips), but I'd like to tell you that I think Dewey is so cute, and I love your description of him, "the biggest smallest kitten" is so accurate because this little guy is so brave and strong as he works through his medical issues. You're being an amazing purrson to him. I'm sending Dewey and you all the best wishes. :vibes:
I sure am doing my best! Thank you so much. These little comments brighten up our world. Seriously even sniffle a bit.
Vets open in two hours, baby boy is still eating on his own and purring lots. His tummy seems huge at the moment, probably because he was so emaciated. But he's still doing well! Thanks again for all the well wishes, I really think they're helping :hearthrob:
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 About how much yolk would I give him? Right now I'm feeding him a kind of off solution, 1 part goat's milk, 2 parts pedialyte, and 1 part formula. On average 1 part is 1 cc. I think I'd feel comfortable with mixing .5 cc of the egg in or less, would that be appropriate? And should I wait to start giving it to him?
The baby food and milk would take longer to digest, is that it? I don't mind staying up through the night with him, I can nap during the day with no worries :tongue: I just can't risk sleeping through another alarm during the night.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the baby food and milk mixture would hold him longer and he might put on more weight faster.

Go ahead and try him on the egg yolk.

You plan to purchase more sub-q fluids today, right? If he does not need them, it's best to have them on hand for times when he does and the vet is closed.

He sounds bloated, but like he is doing well today!

Would love to see his picture today!

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you're doing amazing work here Dewey!! Great to hear he is making progress and amazing you are staying up all night to help him. We have been so lucky our Mia has taken care of them after the initial scare and them being slow starters!! Couldn't imagine doing it all alone. I hope you will keep him and we are all crossing all fingers and toes that he gets stronger every day, it really sounds like things are heading in the right direction, our little girl lost 4 g - and then is putting it on, I know it's not much, but it just shows, also our 2 ginger boys, I noticed they had some dried poop on the back ends, I think this was slowing their absorbing the milk, once I noticed and cleared it (when I was weighing them more than once every 24hrs) they went great guns, so that helped us. You are amazing - thank you for helping him, he has such lovely eyes and HUGE feet!!! xxx

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm another newcomer to your thread, and have nothing concrete to add to the advice, other than, if your cat is interested in him, the licking will provide a stimulation that we just can't duplicate. It may be what turns the tide for him. Bless both of you. You and Dewey are on my "candle list" for extra prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.