Premature Kitten - Later Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey Dewey, I am not sure if this will help and you'd need to order it in and it's not the cheapest thing, but have you ever heard of Transfer Factor? This is the exact one that cured our cat Angel when no antibiotics did, 4Life Transfer Factor PLUS Tri-Factor FORMULA 60 caps!! | eBay - you'd obviously have to adjust the dose, for a tiny kitten, as our cat was a full grown 4 year old cat, he weighs about 5kg. (with aspirations of weighing at least about 20kg the way he eats lol)

Here's a post I wrote before with all the details.

So I just wanted to throw that to you, Sarthur2 Sarthur2 if you have any knowledge of this please chime in, I will say one thing I haven't understood is one version either the human or feline, has or doesn't have yeast. And this could be better or worse for cats. All I know is the human version worked on our cat, and it worked on lots of other forum posters that I told you about.

Holistic / natural vets will endorse transfer factor - maybe try calling them even if they are out of your area - most vets are genuine animal lovers so I'd hope could spare 5 mins to answer your enquiry... even if they know you won't be a regular customer of theirs.

Our vets had never heard of it, even though she was surprised to give him a clean bill of health instead of cutting his face open. I know what I'd rather have him go through!! Hope this helps xxx you're amazing staying up feeding him hourly, you must be so tired. Bless you and sending so many good vibes for you and your little one. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
sunshineclare sunshineclare I'll definitely look into it, thank you!
I've been incredibly busy all day, but when I settle down I'll give you a proper response with lots of pictures!
the baby is doing much, much better. I haven't weighed him yet today so with the pictures I'll update his weight, too!
He finally had a BM this morning and his stomach has went down, the vet decided to just give us a bigger syringe with more fluids in it rather than let us pay for a whole bag. He's still eating on his own and has gained quite an appetite, it seems!
I let Toby (my 1yo neutered boy) see him a once or twice a day for the past few and he's always willing to give him the lick-down. He tries to cuddle with him in his nest too but I'm far too nervous to let him do that :lol:
Anyways, thank you all again for the well wishes and advice, we appreciate every bit of it. :lovecat2: See you guys in a few hours!

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
He seems pretty bloated and uncomfortable. I've burped him and stimulated him in hopes of relieving it, and some was, but it's still kind of an issue.
Was thinking about running warm water over his belly and massaging it. Think this would help? What should I do here?

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm really hoping he doesn't have worms.
As far as I know, he didn't come from a feral/stray and the mama cat who he was placed with wasn't infected either.
So he's 25 days old, surely the worms would have made their presence known earlier?
He hasn't had any diarrhea. For the past few hours his squeaker isn't working- he makes silent meows. He is still purring, and other than his bloated belly he doesn't have any other symptoms. No longer dehydrated, his pee is only a shade from being clear & passed the tent test.
It's been about 45 minutes since I've fed him, so I'll check on his round tummy now and see if there is any difference.
The vet wants me to bring him in again tomorrow just to see his condition. I still think he is doing much better, but now, I'm very paranoid about it all! :lol:

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Screenshot_20170624-024450.png

Please look as close as you can at this at this picture. Does it look like kitten is missing a bit of his tongue?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He seems pretty bloated and uncomfortable. I've burped him and stimulated him in hopes of relieving it, and some was, but it's still kind of an issue.
Was thinking about running warm water over his belly and massaging it. Think this would help? What should I do here?
Yes, it could help yes. Just be sure he doesnt get chilled down. No draught, nice and cozy, a heating pad also afterwards when you had dried him off.

You can give one or two drops of simethicone (the same as for human babies), it often helps with such problems.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Missing part of tongue? It wasnt so in teh beginning? A possibility is if he got something way too hot, and got burned... This is easy happen if you use micro, and not shake the fluid thoroughly - part of the content is normaly temp, but parts may be very hot.

But it would be a very much scolding - you would probalby notice it in him refusing to eat.

But we had once a forumist with a kitten whom was fussy with eating. After a while the rescuer discovered the kitten had healing burn wounds - the burning happened with the earlier owner (or if it was a temporarey caretaker, i dont remember)

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im not an expert but you could surely email that photo to your vet and ask them? The white spot on the right side looks like it could be a mouth ulcer, you know like if you bite the end of your tongue and you get those white spots? Might just be a bit of saliva / KMR though?!! Do you mean the end of the middle part should be more pointy or rounded, but it goes in instead?? I'll see if I can get a photo of one of our kittens tongues so you can compare. Definitely send to your vet though as they should know. xxx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey DeweytheLion DeweytheLion I got an email with your post that was a lot longer, as I get emails for threads I am watching, my replies above were before I checked my emails - so I can read the more detailed info, but looks like you've edited it.

If everything is great except for this, he is eating OK, not bloated, etc, I'd say definitely send the photo to your vet with the long version of your post explaining your concerns,

If he might have a respiratory infection this can be treated - lots of the experts on here can help you with this, seems to involve a trip to the vet and a certain drug - if a URI can be linked with parts of the tongue losing blood flow and / or falling off, that's awful - please ask your vet and get him treated ASAP if this is the case.

I've never been to Montana and don't know where you are but I just googled 'holistic vet montana' and came up with this:

Missoula Holistic Veterinarian | (406) 777-4399 | Veterinarians Stevensville Montana | Sapphire Animal Hospital
Creekside Veterinary Hospital - Veterinarian In Bozeman, MT - they have 3 branches - no idea if they are near you or not - but surely they'd take a call and give you advice...

and here you can search in the whole US for vets registered on the holistic "register" or whatever that is:

VetFinder – Find a Holistic Veterinarian – American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association

Just thought you could try calling them to ask about Transfer Factor -
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TF Feline Complete (Contains Transfer Factor) 60 - 2 gram servings

Here's are two threads where it's being discussed:
Transfer Factor against FIP

Treating a cat abscess at home

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
DeweytheLion DeweytheLion

Good Morning!

How is Dewey?

I think the bloating is caused by his immature little system. As Stefan said, infant gas drops -symethicone - are your best bet to use. They are sold on the baby aisle. Put a few drops into each feeding. They should help.

If you are giving sub-q fluids, he will be doubly boated.

I am not sure about his tongue. It may just be the way his is made.

Is he eating well and pooping okay? Gaining weight? Not lethargic?

If these items are good then Dewey is probably doing well.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Missing part of tongue? It wasnt so in teh beginning? A possibility is if he got something way too hot, and got burned... This is easy happen if you use micro, and not shake the fluid thoroughly - part of the content is normaly temp, but parts may be very hot.

But it would be a very much scolding - you would probalby notice it in him refusing to eat.

But we had once a forumist with a kitten whom was fussy with eating. After a while the rescuer discovered the kitten had healing burn wounds - the burning happened with the earlier owner (or if it was a temporarey caretaker, i dont remember)
No! Never! I warm his water and fluids in warm water... and yes, at one point he had a tongue tip!
I don't think it was a burn, my most educated guesses are that he cut off the circulation with his bad suckling habits, has a URI, or an ulcer from pinching himself with his baby teeth. The only thing is, I noticed he had a white tongue tip over a week and a half ago.
He didn't have teeth then. He wasn't getting any medication then... I have no idea how it happened. That's why I came here. No doubt the vet will see him. How could they fix this?

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
He's still gaining(141), still has a good appetite, peeing wonderfully but hasn't yet had a BM. Not lethargic either, actually rather squirmy. I almost couldn't poke him when it was time for fluids :rolleyes2:
His mew is coming back since about an hour after I complained about it!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
DeweytheLion DeweytheLion

The little lion sounds like he's doing well!

He is on his way towards hitting the 200 gram mark in a few days, which would be fantastic!

Your theory is probably correct. He suckled his own tongue and caused this. How unusual.

See what the vet says. Perhaps it will grow back when the sucking behavior stops.

Would he suckle the corner of a blanket soaked in KMR instead? I usually recommend this for orphan kittens who need to suckle. :)

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
There was no bleeding that I'm aware of. I'm 99.9% certain the tissue died and fell off.
Not a lot has gone, but I'm worried about his lapping capabilities for the future.
His tongue is definitely too thin for repair now, this i know, so hopefully it doesn't get any worse until he's ready for it to be corrected... I just want to find out the source of the problem so I can make sure he doesn't continue to lose more of his tongue. (As you can see in the picture, the right side of his two tongue tips is white. )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.