Premature Kitten - Later Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if you want to hydrate him more, its better to give him a couple of drops between the feedings, then diluting more of the formula itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going out to get pedialyte and more goat's milk. Should I get him anything else?
I won't dilute any more. I'll mix pedialyte in his formula instead just for now, and then a few drops between feedings. Is this okay?

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
20170620_172850.jpg
Right before his visit to the vet. He looks much better and I think he feels much better. He was just fed and the vet administered subcutaneous fluids. He'll be back in next month for his first round of dewormer, then a couple weeks longer he'll get his boosters and when he reaches 2 pounds he'll be neutered and adopted! (Her estimation for the time that will take is 2-3 to even 4 months! :eek:)
The vet thinks he was dehydrated but believes he'll be okay now. He lost all of his siblings to FKS, it would have been a terrible shame to lose him too. I'm feeling more confident about him surviving. Go Dewey :hearthrob:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww! It does not surprise me that this may take a few months.

I would caution waiting until he is 2 pounds to begin any vaccines. Most non-preemie size kittens begin vaccines at 8 weeks when they are 2 pounds. The vaccines are again at 10 and 12 weeks, with spaying or neutering at 12 weeks as well.

I would hate the process to get rushed and Dewey suffer any setbacks.

So glad he has bounced back! :)

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately he's struggling. Even after the sub-q fluids he's dehydrated & lethargic. I did find out why he could be losing water so quickly. He suckles to comfort himself in his sleep, but instead of suckling on his blankets etc, he likes to suckle on nothing. So there is plenty of drool on his chin, neck and cheeks. I'm about to give him a bit of pedialyte. Hope it helps :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, no! I hope he pulls through this phase. Is he taking all of his milk?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much is this a bit of pedialyte? How much kmr and how often are you giving when you give? Ie how much does he gets every 24 hours? 5oz, 150 grammes, needs about 40 ml during the 24 hours. + pedialyte, as he looses fluids by drooling. Not that there is much water in spew.
And if he hopefully adds, it will be more and more every second day

Are you massaging him and rubbing? him being comfy, warm but not too hot? I understand his margins are very thin, and you can loose him almost anytime...

If you wish to pray, I would suggest his great namesake, Dewey ReadMore Books as a suitable intermediaire...

Unfortunately he's struggling. Even after the sub-q fluids he's dehydrated & lethargic. I did find out why he could be losing water so quickly. He suckles to comfort himself in his sleep, but instead of suckling on his blankets etc, he likes to suckle on nothing. So there is plenty of drool on his chin, neck and cheeks. I'm about to give him a bit of pedialyte. Hope it helps :(

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's what I've done so far:
• Tried about 1.5 ml of pedialyte, refused. I got maybe .5 ml in him at best.
• gave him some honey to try and get him to suckle, he didn't, he started gagging so I didn't try that again
I've been trying to feed him about 3.5 mLs every feeding, which is either every two hours or every hour. I've just been going by how much he's been eating. Eg. If he was refusing I'd get as much as I could in him, anywhere from 1-2.5 mLs, and then tried again an hour later.
He is back on KMR and raw goat's milk.
I massage and pet him and his belly after he eats. He loves playing with my fingers that way. I stimulate too. He hasn't had a BM today, pee is fine. Still dark.
I called both vets in town at about 3pm and they're both currently closed. One receptionist wasn't there, and the other said I should try a syringe full of Karo syrup until we can get him in tomorrow. I went out, bought some, only tried about .5-1 mL of it. He perked up a bit and seemed more alert.
I've been cuddling him too, trying everything. He was crying in pain again earlier but stopped hours ago. I might have found a problem, I thought it was just thrush from his formula, but I think I'm very wrong and he has some bacterial infection from syringe feeding. I found a little yellow sore in between his lip and gums. It looks suspicious to me. Hopefully the vet will find what's wrong with him in the morning, and hopefully I'll have enough money to pull it off. I will be completely devastated if he doesn't make it.
The receptionist was supposed to give me a call back for an idea about the price range(mind you this isnt the same vet he saw yesterday, this is the more "professional" vet clinic in town. Hoping they can determine what's the matter) I'm pretty sure just the visit alone is $45, and fluids aren't much. But he's so little, they can't prescribe him medication, can they?
Also, I know it's not recommended, but I let my 1 y/o, fully vaccinated tom cuddle him and bathe him to help bring him back. I trust him not to hurt the baby, as he has been around many other fosters. But should I not do that again?
Any other advice?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your vaccinated tom cat loving and licking him is just fine! In fact, good for Dewey!

And yes, Dewey can have meds. It sounds like he needs an antibiotic. He is not too little for meds if he needs them.

What's worrying me is that whatever is bothering him is preventing him from consuming enough milk. Ideally his pee should be clear.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Good news is he ate on his own finally!
I'm not sure how else I can rehydrate him. Should I use pedialyte instead of water when mixing his formula?
I gave him another lick of syrup because the receptionist suggested I give him a syringe full every 3-4 hours. I don't think he needs that much though! Hope he continues to just do well. I've been taking naps in between feedings so I can wake up every hour more easily. I've forgotten what day it was a couple times. :rolleyes2:
I've also found its harder to keep him clean, what with the refusal, and he's so small, light wipe downs with a wet washcloth don't seem to do it. Luckily I don't think it bothers him as much as it does me!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Awaiting an update this morning. I hope you had a successful night.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
20170622_114516.jpg
Doing very poorly this morning. We're on our way to the vet now. I'll update this evening since a lot can happen in just a few hours.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Bad and good news
The vet does not think he'll pull through. She did give him 6 cc more fluids, and sent me home with a bunch. They bathed him and gave him a steroid, and also gave me some penicillin to give twice a day. The only good news I have is that he seems less lethargic, and that I got a good amount of food in him thanks to an especially small syringe she gave me for his medicine, and also advised I use it for feeding.
I have one question. I know penicillin needs to be refrigerated but I didn't think to ask her how to store the fluids. Right now I have put it in a cool, dark cupboard. How should I store it? She gave it to me in a syringe with a cap.
Thanks for all the wishes, Dewey and I both appreciate it very much :hearthrob:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Refrigerate the fluids and warm them when it is time to use them.

I hope the smaller syringe and the penicillin help!

Status
Not open for further replies.