Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is just precious! :redheartpump:

At 3 weeks old (tomorrow), the normal weight is 10-12 ounces.

He's getting there! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_20170620_022639_525.jpg

3 weeks and a day now
I'll post another picture in a week's time
He has an appointment with the vet tomorrow!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is visibly less size than a fully weight born. Still, as long as he does adds every day, and seems healthy in the rest, it should be OK, just a little slower. He may also end in a end size below average.

HOW much he should add, is more difficult to say. Instinctively I would say, 5-6 grammes is OK, while the others shall be 10+ grammes a day. But I did had seen prematures whom after the first few days, did added well above 10+ - ie their adding rate was essentially as for other healthy kittens.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Is that a tiny paw peeking out between your fingers or the end of his tail? So cute!

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Is that a tiny paw peeking out between your fingers or the end of his tail? So cute!
That is a little paw!

Also, guys, I have a really bad deal going on and need help asap. Kitten's appointment isn't for a few more hours, and I believe he's developed fading kitten syndrome.
20170620_120524.jpg

The picture above was taken just yesterday, this one an hour ago. I opened his little enclosure this morning to find him in the corner, off the heating pad, with his head pinned to his shoulders. He was cold and limp. I warmed him up and fed him warm formula, he ate well, he seems to be doing better- wanted to suckle on my hand and shoved his little nose between my fingers. I have to feed him again in about 20 minutes and I need the recipe for honey water to give him, or any information on what I can do for him until he sees the vet. I'm almost positive it's because I missed two feedings while I slept. Started crying because I thought I killed him! :(

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
20170619_184929.jpg this picture was just taken yesterday
20170619_184931.jpg same as this one 20170620_120405.jpg
This one was today, after he'd been fed and warmed.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only advice I can offer is to keep him close to you. Let him hear your heartbeat and feel you breathing. This may do him more good than you know. Be sure to keep him warm also.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
DeweytheLion DeweytheLion

That was going to be my first question - did you feed him through the night?

It's exhausting, but he cannot miss any feedings.

Did he lose weight?

It's just honey and water syringed into him by drops, or raw honey put on his gums.

Keep him warm and fed. Hopefully he will bounce back.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is this vet visit for? Just a checkup?

Is he showing any improvement yet?

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
What is this vet visit for? Just a checkup?

Is he showing any improvement yet?
Yes, it was just a check up to make sure he's growing like a kitten like him should. I called the vet and she just advised I feed him until his tummy is really round. I got about 4-4 1/2 mLs in him. He is showing signs of improvement, especially after eating. You can't already tell he is feeling much better:
20170620_140327.jpg 20170620_140506.jpg

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
He was probably dehydrated. I bet he feels great having his belly full.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
His weight seems to be okay, he lost a few grams and his tummy seemed to be sunken when I picked him up again, even though I had only fed him just 2 hours prior. I'll start feeding him less and more often.
I also have been trying to dilute his formula just a bit, to make sure he stays hydrated. His pee is dark but he passed the tent test this last feeding. I may go out and get him some pedialyte to be safe.
His stools are great too; he made sure to show me in little places all around his nest!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
DeweytheLion DeweytheLion the honey water is what is sounds, you mix a little honey with water, so its barely sweet for you. Say a tea spoon in a cup. Add a trifle kitchen salt. The glucose sugar from the honey goes direclty into blood already from the mouth.
Sometimes you will mix in more honey than just a little, making it really sweet. It depends on.

Dont give just plain honey directly on lips and gum - a weak kitten cant lick it off. Smear on a sweet water solution.

You can also make it a sweeter if you use it instead of formula - for example if you truly think he is dying.
When they are dying, the digestion often shuts off. They still need to have some nutrition, some fuel, to have any chance to survive, but they cant digest nothing more at this moment. The remedy HERE is to give pedialyte or such a honey solution, it doesnt need to be digested, but gives some fuel, and it doesnt need to be digested. The glucose sugar goes straight into the blood... So it may buy you time.

Here as he seems to eat, proceed with it!!! Formula or goats milk,

And you dont dare to sleep two meals, as you see. You cant afford this. The margins are thin, and you are in a constant state of Red Alert.

Its not time for dying yet.

Im wondering if he is perhaps slightly undernourished, and this is why he grows so slowly... If he manages this crisis, please try with more givings, and or more often. Raw goats milk or formula.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont know your vet. Observe, many vets arent very good at helping weak kittens. They are usually good at recognizing if they are sick, or wounded, and give help against clear diagnoses.
But many arent good with weak kittens. Many of our forumites has withnessed. The best bet is often to get help from a experienced rescuer, or such a helpsome Forum as OURS... And the owner must do all the practical work, and be vigorous with reporting and asking...

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, he cannot go more than 2 hours without eating. Pedialyte - either bought or homemade - is excellent.

I would not dilute his formula. He needs the nutrition and calories.

Status
Not open for further replies.