Post-Neuter Care

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey y’all!! So Hobbes is getting neutered today (six and a half months already!!). We are taking him in about two hours time and will pick him up this evening (they wanna watch him for a bit. They love him there so I think they just want extra time with him…🤪🤪). I’m just wondering about anything that I should worry about after and things I should look for. Basically, how in the heck do I care for a kitten who just had surgery??

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hey y’all!! So Hobbes is getting neutered today (six and a half months already!!). We are taking him in about two hours time and will pick him up this evening (they wanna watch him for a bit. They love him there so I think they just want extra time with him…🤪🤪). I’m just wondering about anything that I should worry about after and things I should look for. Basically, how in the heck do I care for a kitten who just had surgery??

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Here's a reply I made to another thread :- Is it infected??

'It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.'

Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery - TheCatSite

Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery - TheCatSite

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make a smaller space for him - maybe a bathroom? If he comes home with a cone on, leave it. Watch incision for redness, pus, etc. They'll give you instructions when you pick him up. Thank you for getting him neutered!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lennybells

Adult Cat
Purraise
Make a smaller space for him - maybe a bathroom? If he comes home with a cone on, leave it. Watch incision for redness, pus, etc. They'll give you instructions when you pick him up. Thank you for getting him neutered!
I read that they should have a cone. If they don’t give us one we have a little food themed plush ring that’ll do the job.

Lennybells

Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting. Hobbes accepts things like that after about 5 mins. We’ll see what the vet says. Thanks so much for all of your help!!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just wanted to mention, that while a feline neuter is a surgical procedure, it is not internal.
Cats are not intubated for a neuter, because the entire procedure, prep and surgery, is less than 5 minutes in most cases. Cats are also not routinely given fluids for this, because they are only, usually under injectable sedation/ anesthesia, depending on what drugs they use.
Sutures are also not routinely placed, as it is best it heals open to avoid infection.
Unless the cat obsesses, they usually don’t need a collar.

it is a very fast easy procedure and complications are extremely rare.

Lennybells

Adult Cat
Purraise
So Hobbes’ surgery got moved to yesterday. All done! He was groggy and very loopy but better now. The vet said to keep his movement restricted but I don’t know how in the heck that is going to happen. This cat is all over the place. Yes his wound is open like you mentioned. And he has a cone! Interesting. While he was there we also got him microchipped. Read a lot about them on here and thought it would be a good idea.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never used a cone and all came through fine. A normal acting cat that does not hide, stop eating and drinking is what you want. My cats lick the area for a while and then act fine. all teh luck, and thanks for neutering him!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So Hobbes’ surgery got moved to yesterday. All done! He was groggy and very loopy but better now. The vet said to keep his movement restricted but I don’t know how in the heck that is going to happen. This cat is all over the place. Yes his wound is open like you mentioned. And he has a cone! Interesting. While he was there we also got him microchipped. Read a lot about them on here and thought it would be a good idea.
Normal for cat to move around, no worries.