Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like to see cats and babies pictures.  So many people believe that cats hurt babies.  My daughter's pediatrician was horrified to hear that one cat slept in the bassinet with her and that when she moved to a crib, the other cat slept with her.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Must have been an old-fashioned sort of pediatrician.  My cats slept with my babies, and their doctor said that the exposure to the cats would lessen the likelihood of animal allergies later in life.  And THIS was back in the VERY early 1980s!

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise

Must have been an old-fashioned sort of pediatrician.  My cats slept with my babies, and their doctor said that the exposure to the cats would lessen the likelihood of animal allergies later in life.  And THIS was back in the VERY early 1980s!
She was a (insert creative term here), she totally missed my daughter's autism.  She swore the cats could accidentally suffocate my daughter.

The bassinet cat, possible, that was a big fluffy cat.  But she liked sleeping by my daughter's feet.  I remember one morning I woke up to my daughter vigorously kicking and the poor cat was at her feet with a look of "help me!"

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't believe that...well.  A LARGE cat sleeping directly ON TOP OF a small infant's chest might cause a problem, but I don't think that there is a documented instance of it ever happening.  And she missed autism?  Putz.  That is my new favorite word.  I use it in political conversations a LOT, and it is creeping into other areas!  I shall try to find more pics of cats and babies, though!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She was a (insert creative term here), she totally missed my daughter's autism.  She swore the cats could accidentally suffocate my daughter.

The bassinet cat, possible, that was a big fluffy cat.  But she liked sleeping by my daughter's feet.  I remember one morning I woke up to my daughter vigorously kicking and the poor cat was at her feet with a look of "help me!"
There is a very ancient myth that cats try to steal the breath from babies, presumably begun by someone who saw a cat sniffing at the milk smell on a baby's mouth.  No one who actually loves cats believes this myth, but those who've never been owned by a cat, or really known one personally, are vulnerable to it.  This includes doctors, unfortunately.

Also, remember the Bible story, about Solomon proving his wisdom by offering to cut a disputed baby in half?  In that story, one of the mothers had accidentally killed her own baby by rolling over on him in her sleep.  In other words, it was probably Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.  For a very long time, that was the conclusion any time a baby died while sleeping in the same bed with the mother, that she had accidentally killed her own child.  If the baby was in a crib, the conclusion was that a parent had deliberately suffocated it.  But if the family had a cat, it would have been easier to place the blame there; that way no one would have to call it murder.  We know about SIDS now, but those old memes die hard.

Good grief.  What a horrible thing to be talking about in the Funny pictures thread!

Margret

puddykat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, that video is pretty cool!
I have looked into where you can go have a cheetah experience in Africa and there are only a few places that cater to this experience. Many of them are catered to have people volunteer and pay money for food and lodging while you clean up the cages etc. Not my kind of interaction. I want to sit beside a cheetah and have a cat to cat talk. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I love that cheetah video!

"I conducted a social experiment with 2 cheetahs. I wanted to observe their nocturnal behavior."

"Conclusion: They like to sleep on your head!"

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I really like to see cats and babies pictures.  So many people believe that cats hurt babies.  My daughter's pediatrician was horrified to hear that one cat slept in the bassinet with her and that when she moved to a crib, the other cat slept with her.
I had 3 cats when my first DD was born. One of them (Fargo) stayed with her all the time. When she was about 1 week old, she got colic really bad. We were up for days and nights with her screaming in pain. Fargo starting rubbing, full body rubs, on her abdomen and OMG that was amazing. It helped the gas move and release so she could get some comfort and sleep. We ended up finding out that DD had a milk allergy and had to put her on soy milk. But Fargo was a life saver and from the time DD was brought home they were inseparable until her dad
 threw her out. No we weren't together at the time. DD was around 5 or 6 and it broke her heart.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise

I had 3 cats when my first DD was born. One of them (Fargo) stayed with her all the time. When she was about 1 week old, she got colic really bad. We were up for days and nights with her screaming in pain. Fargo starting rubbing, full body rubs, on her abdomen and OMG that was amazing. It helped the gas move and release so she could get some comfort and sleep. We ended up finding out that DD had a milk allergy and had to put her on soy milk. But Fargo was a life saver and from the time DD was brought home they were inseparable until her dad
 threw her out. No we weren't together at the time. DD was around 5 or 6 and it broke her heart.
A bad scenario I heard from a woman whose child was in play therapy with mine is that she had a cat.  Gained a boyfriend allergic to cats and told him to deal with it.  Married the boyfriend.  Had a baby.  All of a sudden, birth of the baby triggered it, the cat would jump into the window next to the bassinet while the baby was in the bassinet and start growling loudly several times a day.  They either were advised or believed the cat was a threat to the baby since the cat did this only around the baby.  Gave away the cat.  Few months later found out the baby was having several petit mal seizures a day, corresponding pretty closely to the number of times the cat growled around the baby.  The woman was so sad because (hindsight being 20/20) she realized the cat was trying to say the baby was in trouble, not threatening the baby.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
So I measured the one pair of pants that fit me perfectly (vertically) and pulled out five pairs and measured all them.  Turned them inside out for hemming preparation and walked away to finish other tasks.  Come back to hem them and found this.  How am I supposed to hem them if Midway is using them as a kitty bed????