Please help with big decision

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another BIG STEP for us today! The last week Dinah has been more comfortable with me as far as playing and overall toleration. She is still a Cat that is very timid and anything new scares her.

But she is getting better at dealing with the everyday household noises and events. Still, she is afraid of anything new such as a fuel oil delivery, a cars security horn, and the cleaning person that comes every couple of weeks,..etc. She retreats to under the bed and hides in the bedding skirt that lays on the floor in the back corner. But today, the cleaning person looked under the bed while gently talking to Dinah, and Dinah peeked out to see this person that was talking to her. That is a first for Dinah! I also have a feeling Dinah has a preference to woman over men in general.

Getting back to today...after playing on/off for almost another hour (she wears me out as I am usually on my hands and knees in her room) she let me touch her paw with my fingers! She jerked away but stayed right where she was and continued to play with me after a minute or so. SO heart warming to see her slowly become more trusting in me.

Anyway, that is it for today. I wish all you feral Cat caregivers the same luck as I am having.

P.S. I am really leaning towards spelling her name to Dynah instead of Dinah. What do you guys think?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Another BIG STEP for us today! The last week Dinah has been more comfortable with me as far as playing and overall toleration. She is still a Cat that is very timid and anything new scares her.

But she is getting better at dealing with the everyday household noises and events. Still, she is afraid of anything new such as a fuel oil delivery, a cars security horn, and the cleaning person that comes every couple of weeks,..etc. She retreats to under the bed and hides in the bedding skirt that lays on the floor in the back corner. But today, the cleaning person looked under the bed while gently talking to Dinah, and Dinah peeked out to see this person that was talking to her. That is a first for Dinah! I also have a feeling Dinah has a preference to woman over men in general.

Getting back to today...after playing on/off for almost another hour (she wears me out as I am usually on my hands and knees in her room) she let me touch her paw with my fingers! She jerked away but stayed right where she was and continued to play with me after a minute or so. SO heart warming to see her slowly become more trusting in me.

Anyway, that is it for today. I wish all you feral Cat caregivers the same luck as I am having.

P.S. I am really leaning towards spelling her name to Dynah instead of Dinah. What do you guys think?
That's good news. She has sought of got the idea now and slowly moving towards being more confident. Normal for her to hide with all those sounds and strangers as she is back to normal after that.

Yea, Dynah sounds special for her.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's good news. She has sought of got the idea now and slowly moving towards being more confident. Normal for her to hide with all those sounds and strangers as she is back to normal after that.

Yea, Dynah sounds special for her.
Thank you TT! She is a special girl for sure and really playful!
I think it's going to be spelled Dynah. It just seems like a better fit for her 😀

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

I immediately thought exactly like poolcat poolcat

YES because she is DYNAH mite! Love it

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dynah update!

Hello again guys. Just wanted to give you the latest on Dynah's progress and she is making great strides. For the first time, she came out from under her bed while I had company over. She even played with me (in her room) while the 2 people were here and actually let them look at her and talk to her from a distance, instead of hiding under her bed the whole time. SO great to see this.

I have tried to open one of her bedroom screened windows on some of the milder days but she did not like that at all, it just scared her to hear the noises from outside I guess. But 2 days ago it was really nice out so, I opened the window a bit. It took her a while but she eventually did go and sit on her window perch. Later I opened the window all the way after she seemed to be enjoying the fresh air and she stayed there for an hour really enjoying the fresh warm air and birds on the bird feeder. I also moved the big Cathouse in the back bedroom to try to get her to use it but she has not "explored" it yet.

20240304_144225.jpg DynahPerch1.jpg

Then, around 8:00p.m. last night, a Cat must have been out there and for the first time, Dynah ran in and out of each room on the first level of the house back and forth trying to see where that Cat went!! It didn't matter that I was there as she ran right past me a few times.

So great to see that she is really getting comfortable with everything! She plays with me and we do tug o war with these strings and she loves this time we have. It is really heart warming. The best thing was that I heard her PURR for the first time while we were playing with her favorite ball :redheartpump:

Thanks for tuning in guys, and thanks again for all of your help!

Here is the Cathouse and my girl Pepper a few years ago.

Pepperhouse3.jpg

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Dynah update!

Hello again guys. Just wanted to give you the latest on Dynah's progress and she is making great strides. For the first time, she came out from under her bed while I had company over. She even played with me (in her room) while the 2 people were here and actually let them look at her and talk to her from a distance, instead of hiding under her bed the whole time. SO great to see this.

I have tried to open one of her bedroom screened windows on some of the milder days but she did not like that at all, it just scared her to hear the noises from outside I guess. But 2 days ago it was really nice out so, I opened the window a bit. It took her a while but she eventually did go and sit on her window perch. Later I opened the window all the way after she seemed to be enjoying the fresh air and she stayed there for an hour really enjoying the fresh warm air and birds on the bird feeder. I also moved the big Cathouse in the back bedroom to try to get her to use it but she has not "explored" it yet.

Then, around 8:00p.m. last night, a Cat must have been out there and for the first time, Dynah ran in and out of each room on the first level of the house back and forth trying to see where that Cat went!! It didn't matter that I was there as she ran right past me a few times.

So great to see that she is really getting comfortable with everything! She plays with me and we do tug o war with these strings and she loves this time we have. It is really heart warming. The best thing was that I heard her PURR for the first time while we were playing with her favorite ball :redheartpump:

Thanks for tuning in guys, and thanks again for all of your help!

Here is the Cathouse and my girl Pepper a few years ago.
This is a good report! Glad that she is sitting by the cat tv (window) watching the outdoors and also great to hear that she's curious about the other cat and running all over to see out and this shows that she has forgotten something - fear. She has overcome it and thanks to the outside cat.

One suggestion for the Cathouse (cat tree), use a soft dry towel and gently go over Dynah's body and face and then use the towel to wipe over the cat tree to get Dynah's scents over. Also it'll be good if you could leave the cat tree next to the windows so that she has different levels to go to and also she'll be making use of it.

BTW, Pepper is lovely :redheartpump: :hearthrob:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Greg that's fantastic- Dynah is a dynamo( or is it dynama?)lol

One question for you and I hope it's okay to ask- do you trust the screens on your windows? I only ask because I'm a neurotic about cats and window screens- my own screens are all protected by welded wire kennel panels,of course there are kitties that just don't mess with screens( 3 out of my 5) still,I had to ask because if you don't there are many ways to cat proof windows

Love @tabbytoms suggestion to get her scent onto the cat tree( btw,nice cat tree & Pepper is darling).... you can also mist the tree with a pheromone attractant like Comfort Zone and if she likes the catnip that's always helpful - I made little trails to help Timmy explore further

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a good report! Glad that she is sitting by the cat tv (window) watching the outdoors and also great to hear that she's curious about the other cat and running all over to see out and this shows that she has forgotten something - fear. She has overcome it and thanks to the outside cat.

One suggestion for the Cathouse (cat tree), use a soft dry towel and gently go over Dynah's body and face and then use the towel to wipe over the cat tree to get Dynah's scents over. Also it'll be good if you could leave the cat tree next to the windows so that she has different levels to go to and also she'll be making use of it.

BTW, Pepper is lovely :redheartpump: :hearthrob:
Thanks TT ,...great tips for sure. The big house is facing right next to 3 windows in newly cleared out backroom. She is like a new Cat with the open windows!

Pepper was a beautiful and really smart Cat. She would let me put a body harness on her, and we would walk outside all the time. She loved all people too.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh Greg that's fantastic- Dynah is a dynamo( or is it dynama?)lol

One question for you and I hope it's okay to ask- do you trust the screens on your windows? I only ask because I'm a neurotic about cats and window screens- my own screens are all protected by welded wire kennel panels,of course there are kitties that just don't mess with screens( 3 out of my 5) still,I had to ask because if you don't there are many ways to cat proof windows

Love @tabbytoms suggestion to get her scent onto the cat tree( btw,nice cat tree & Pepper is darling).... you can also mist the tree with a pheromone attractant like Comfort Zone and if she likes the catnip that's always helpful - I made little trails to help Timmy explore further
My screens are very durable but I do not leave the windows open when I leave the house or when I am sleeping. I am watching her closely (with security cameras too) to be sure she will not try to scratch her way out. I will rub some scent on the Cat house as you and TT suggested as well.

I am thinking of building some sort of inside/outside enclosure for Dynah. This would be a major project. I think that once I can get her to her first vet visit, I will re-think this again. She needs to see a vet before I do anything else. Right now she is fine with no visible health issues but I will be bringing her in for a checkup at some point soon :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
My screens are very durable but I do not leave the windows open when I leave the house or when I am sleeping. I am watching her closely (with security cameras too) to be sure she will not try to scratch her way out. I will rub some scent on the Cat house as you and TT suggested as well.

I am thinking of building some sort of inside/outside enclosure for Dynah. This would be a major project. I think that once I can get her to her first vet visit, I will re-think this again. She needs to see a vet before I do anything else. Right now she is fine with no visible health issues but I will be bringing her in for a checkup at some point soon :)
That's fantastic-I kinda figured you'd be watching but may as well mention it....

You know they do make wonderful catios that do require installation that you can do yourself- well worth every penny imo- I bought one for Timmy and erected it in my living room although it was an outdoor enclosure-I'll show you a photo- my cousin got it up in a couple of hours and if I wasn't in a Condo I would have loved it outside with a cat flap to the house
Robot or human?

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought I would close my weekend out here with an update on Dynah, with these quick videos taken in the backroom, that I continue to clean out.

Here are the new videos with her in the Cathouse! They are not an INET sensation, but just her finding a new spot and different room to hang out in OUR house is HUGE!!. Another thing I did was to position the Cathouse just right, so she can see from within the top cubby hole, out the window, and rest on the right perch to see out the side window. Crazy :crazy:

I thank you all for the tips! Some catnip and the towel with my scent on it worked great! She continues to get more comfortable in OUR house. She now plays in the backroom and hallway that leads to it, and runs in the living room a bit to get a ball, then runs back to her room. She is SO playful.

Ok guys, as always, thank you again :thanks:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I thought I would close my weekend out here with an update on Dynah, with these quick videos taken in the backroom, that I continue to clean out.

Here are the new videos with her in the Cathouse! They are not an INET sensation, but just her finding a new spot and different room to hang out in OUR house is HUGE!!. Another thing I did was to position the Cathouse just right, so she can see from within the top cubby hole, out the window, and rest on the right perch to see out the side window. Crazy :crazy:

I thank you all for the tips! Some catnip and the towel with my scent on it worked great! She continues to get more comfortable in OUR house. She now plays in the backroom and hallway that leads to it, and runs in the living room a bit to get a ball, then runs back to her room. She is SO playful.

Ok guys, as always, thank you again :thanks:
688E0FFB-3ACD-4695-BA19-F99B9A8A9A50$L0$001~photo.JPG