Please help with big decision

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey folks, just a quick update. So, Dinah is continuing to take really small baby steps as far as confidence goes. Over the last few days she is beginning to "play" with her toys outside of her room. That is just in the hallway outside of the room.

She will swat a ball from the room or just outside of it and, run after it a few feet down the hall, and run back into the room. She also is beginning to come into the hall and sit or lay and stare at me sometimes for 6-7 minutes before retreating back to her room. She will also let me next to her while inside the Cat-Cave without freaking out and will stay there after I leave! That is a bigger baby-step!

Still, anything out of the normal frightens her. I had heating issues here the last 4 days and the service people working in the basement scared her to retreat under the bed and hide all day, even though they were here for an hour or two. On 3 occasions now, I had to "roll" not start a lawnmower within her site from her windows, and just that little movement outside spooked her again, retreating to under the bed. Also, I bought another little cat bed for her to lay on in the window...WELL, NO WAY...THAT DIDN'T BELONG THERE, so she would not go back in the window until I got rid of the new bed!!!

As you can see, I continue to have my hands full with her. Extreme patience is required on my part but I am still up for the challenge. So if anyone has had a feral that was/is this tough to tame, please share some of your story(s) here again! Here is another pic I got the other day as they are few and far between! Thanks!

OH, notice her three little toes on her left rear leg that are tipped in white? Her other three paws are white except for that paw...That is just too cute!

View attachment 469233
Hey Greg-thosd are not little baby steps,they are HUGE

Stay encourage- my guy is still terrified of the lawnmowers,blowers etc but now he runs to me for safety & I have to pet him for tye 4hrs they are there ( not joking)

Out of the ordinary noises will freak out some housecats thst have been adopted as Itty bitty kitties,it's not unusual to have a scaredy cat

Here ya go....

Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Love reading the updates here. I'm in a 1 step forward 2 step back situation with my current girl. The boys and her have been doing good but just this last week we had a bit of a flare up. My boys are so eager to play but she doesn't realize that's what their intentions are so she gets scared when they get too close too quickly and ends up with some bops and swats on the head with each other. Other than that she's 100% trusting of me at the very least and even sleeps on my legs every night now when its bed time. It's just the matter of having her realize that these little boys mean no harm, so I think I'm in the long haul for that.

I'm also in the same boat with you, trying to get her to explore the rest of the house. She only wants to stay around the safe room, even when I have the doors open, even when I have the boys locked up as well. Its slowly getting better though, 5-6 weeks in. I just don't think I'm going to have my room back anytime soon lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Greg-thosd are not little baby steps,they are HUGE

Stay encourage- my guy is still terrified of the lawnmowers,blowers etc but now he runs to me for safety & I have to pet him for tye 4hrs they are there ( not joking)

Out of the ordinary noises will freak out some housecats thst have been adopted as Itty bitty kitties,it's not unusual to have a scaredy cat

Here ya go....

Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!
I admit that I have not read all of the "feral" stories here so TY Kwik for the thread link. That is really a great one and I didn't even get through half of it! You certainly are a patient loving MOM, and a creative one at that!

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Love reading the updates here. I'm in a 1 step forward 2 step back situation with my current girl. The boys and her have been doing good but just this last week we had a bit of a flare up. My boys are so eager to play but she doesn't realize that's what their intentions are so she gets scared when they get too close too quickly and ends up with some bops and swats on the head with each other. Other than that she's 100% trusting of me at the very least and even sleeps on my legs every night now when its bed time. It's just the matter of having her realize that these little boys mean no harm, so I think I'm in the long haul for that.

I'm also in the same boat with you, trying to get her to explore the rest of the house. She only wants to stay around the safe room, even when I have the doors open, even when I have the boys locked up as well. Its slowly getting better though, 5-6 weeks in. I just don't think I'm going to have my room back anytime soon lol.
Yes, I know what you mean! Thanks for sharing this. You think you are going forward and something happens and you are a few days or weeks back it seems.

That's OK though. Part of the whole transition I guess. It is a learning thing for them and for us too sometimes. We just have to keep saying to ourself that they are WAY better now than before :). I say that a lot...I just hope I'm not talking to myself too much LOL!

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So this just happened. I tried to take a cell phone pic of her in her Cat-Cave like, just now, and it was pretty dark in the room. I could not really tell if I was looking at her head or her tail...it is very dark in that cave right now. I moved just a tad closer and she really quietly hissed at me. I mean, I could barely hear her but, she politely said "Ok, Greg, you are too close to my space right now!

I get it! She let me know I was too close. As I said, it is a learning experience for us both...but mostly for me :)

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know what you mean! Thanks for sharing this. You think you are going forward and something happens and you are a few days or weeks back it seems.

That's OK though. Part of the whole transition I guess. It is a learning thing for them and for us too sometimes. We just have to keep saying to ourself that they are WAY better now than before :). I say that a lot...I just hope I'm not talking to myself too much LOL!
You're definitely not wrong there! I know she's happier, even if she has two dorks invading her space every once in a while. The one thing I'm super happy about with her changes is her temperament from when she used to be a stray till now, 5/6 weeks inside. She's so much more calm and less scared of every little noise. She used to be on edge almost all the time outside constantly looking around. She's safe and she knows it, and that alone makes it worth it.

As for the hiss you just mentioned, I also got one from her the other day as well. It wasn't too long after she ran off from one of the boys, and I went to pet her and she hissed, obviously telling me "give me a second!" She was fine afterwards.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I deffenatly think she was stray not feral.

Ferals take much longer to get used to people let alone lay in a vulnerable position like that.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I admit that I have not read all of the "feral" stories here so TY Kwik for the thread link. That is really a great one and I didn't even get through half of it! You certainly are a patient loving MOM, and a creative one at that!
Thanks Greg- I do hope that my Timmy's story will encourage folks who have heard the very common responses regarding ferals " Better off where they are"- or " they'll never",they dont,wont,cant.... that's not part of my vocabulary and I've devoted much of my life proving that is just not so( with 100% success rate btw)---so with pleasure I will do anything I can to help anyone willing to give a feral a chance to be what he was born to be- somebody's loving friend and companion

You're doing a wonderful job -Dinah is a DOLL btw
Greg,you're my hero❤

You should also read C cat_dad_dan story,a guy that wanted to help out one little feral girl who turned out to be pregnant- beautiful story- another one of my "hero" guys

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hey folks, just a quick update. So, Dinah is continuing to take really small baby steps as far as confidence goes. Over the last few days she is beginning to "play" with her toys outside of her room. That is just in the hallway outside of the room.

She will swat a ball from the room or just outside of it and, run after it a few feet down the hall, and run back into the room. She also is beginning to come into the hall and sit or lay and stare at me sometimes for 6-7 minutes before retreating back to her room. She will also let me next to her while inside the Cat-Cave without freaking out and will stay there after I leave! That is a bigger baby-step!

Still, anything out of the normal frightens her. I had heating issues here the last 4 days and the service people working in the basement scared her to retreat under the bed and hide all day, even though they were here for an hour or two. On 3 occasions now, I had to "roll" not start a lawnmower within her site from her windows, and just that little movement outside spooked her again, retreating to under the bed. Also, I bought another little cat bed for her to lay on in the window...WELL, NO WAY...THAT DIDN'T BELONG THERE, so she would not go back in the window until I got rid of the new bed!!!

As you can see, I continue to have my hands full with her. Extreme patience is required on my part but I am still up for the challenge. So if anyone has had a feral that was/is this tough to tame, please share some of your story(s) here again! Here is another pic I got the other day as they are few and far between! Thanks!

OH, notice her three little toes on her left rear leg that are tipped in white? Her other three paws are white except for that paw...That is just too cute!
Awesome update!

It's very normal for her to run and hide when faced with certain sounds and sights. Let her get used to the household sounds and though she may go hide, it's normal because she knows these sounds and sights are not going to harm her and hiding is her sure bet to be safe. It's natural instinct.

As for the hissing, it's normal too. It's her way of telling you that she don't like certain things and she wants you to let her chill it off. She'll be fine after that.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I deffenatly think she was stray not feral.

Ferals take much longer to get used to people let alone lay in a vulnerable position like that.

Indy, I was no where near Dinah when I took that photo. That's why I love my "long" lens. I was about 25' away from her sitting on a couch in my living room! She didn't even know I was in the living room and she was still under the edge of her bed

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Her little toesies are very cute!
Waffles info- I've had him since 2016, he was 2 years old then, and I still can't just walk up to him to pet him. He backs away, but, if I get pretty close and bend down with my hand out he comes the last foot over. Getting him to the vet is tough, getting him in a crate. Even leaving the crate out full time, if he's resting in there and I come over he bolts out. I can scruff him and then support him underneath when he's beside me on a couch or chair to get him somewhere- he freezes- but approaching him is out of the question. 7.5 years later!

He makes up for it, though, by being sooo affectionate when it's his choice. He's usually beside me when I'm sitting down watching a movie or knitting or reading etc. and purrs and purrs and plasters against me. He sleeps on my bed at night against me. So he's very loving, it's just a human approaching him is not cool. The looks he gives are "thankyou for giving me a warm home!"
It took a long time to get to him sitting with me, I don't remember how many months, but it was several at least.
So I know.
And noises, he still runs to the basement for strange noises and always for people at the door. Or the vacuum cleaner. But he comes back just fine.
I think Dinah is making huge strides. It's a test of patience for sure! Her playing outside of the room is great! Even though it's not far out. I think her hissing is totally normal, also. And the fact you listened to her and respected her is a positive in her mind, she learned you can be safe for her, and that will continue to be learned.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her little toesies are very cute!
Waffles info- I've had him since 2016, he was 2 years old then, and I still can't just walk up to him to pet him. He backs away, but, if I get pretty close and bend down with my hand out he comes the last foot over. Getting him to the vet is tough, getting him in a crate. Even leaving the crate out full time, if he's resting in there and I come over he bolts out. I can scruff him and then support him underneath when he's beside me on a couch or chair to get him somewhere- he freezes- but approaching him is out of the question. 7.5 years later!

He makes up for it, though, by being sooo affectionate when it's his choice. He's usually beside me when I'm sitting down watching a movie or knitting or reading etc. and purrs and purrs and plasters against me. He sleeps on my bed at night against me. So he's very loving, it's just a human approaching him is not cool. The looks he gives are "thankyou for giving me a warm home!"
It took a long time to get to him sitting with me, I don't remember how many months, but it was several at least.
So I know.
And noises, he still runs to the basement for strange noises and always for people at the door. Or the vacuum cleaner. But he comes back just fine.
I think Dinah is making huge strides. It's a test of patience for sure! Her playing outside of the room is great! Even though it's not far out. I think her hissing is totally normal, also. And the fact you listened to her and respected her is a positive in her mind, she learned you can be safe for her, and that will continue to be learned.
Thank you pearl99...what a great thing between you and Waffles! This is what I love to hear about...stories just like this. It gives hope to folks like me and others that think our fur babies may never get any closer. I know they will. Dinah too. I have that feeling.

Thank you again :touched:

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE...2 BIG ones...

This morning marked the first time that I took the litter box out of the room to clean, and Dinah stayed right in the window literally 4 feet from her. She has retreated to under the bed every morning when I do this. And, after I clean it, I get the broom and sweep the floor too. She stayed right where she was. This is really something.

She also slept all day and all night in her Cat-Cave on top of the bed. She did not sleep or stay under the bed for any long period of time at all. So, another big step for her.

Finally, the last 2 or 3 mornings, she has begun a new routine. Right around 7:00 a.m. if I am not up yet, this is her time to start to get hungry. She will get a marble from her room, go into the hall with it and swat it down the hall in front of my bedroom or it winds up in my room!! If she doesn't get a response from me she will do it again with another marble! This is the funniest thing ever and I LOL.

Thanks for reading today!

P.S. I know some folks don't like the idea of Cats playing with small items like marbles and we should take caution if letting them play with them especially when they are kittens or first time users. Let me reassure you that all of my Cats over the years played with marbles and Dinah LOVES them. We play all the time and they are her favorite toy. Just use caution.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
UPDATE...2 BIG ones...

This morning marked the first time that I took the litter box out of the room to clean, and Dinah stayed right in the window literally 4 feet from her. She has retreated to under the bed every morning when I do this. And, after I clean it, I get the broom and sweep the floor too. She stayed right where she was. This is really something.

She also slept all day and all night in her Cat-Cave on top of the bed. She did not sleep or stay under the bed for any long period of time at all. So, another big step for her.

Finally, the last 2 or 3 mornings, she has begun a new routine. Right around 7:00 a.m. if I am not up yet, this is her time to start to get hungry. She will get a marble from her room, go into the hall with it and swat it down the hall in front of my bedroom or it winds up in my room!! If she doesn't get a response from me she will do it again with another marble! This is the funniest thing ever and I LOL.

P.S. I know some folks don't like the idea of Cats playing with small items like marbles and we should take caution if letting them play with them especially when they are kittens or first time users. Let me reassure you that all of my Cats over the years played with marbles and Dinah LOVES them. We play all the time and they are her favorite toy. Just use caution.
This is great! Dinah is getting used to the routines and also training you well! Keep it up!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE...2 BIG ones...

:clapcat: :woohoo:
That's a cat and her marble btw,lol

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
How funny, Dinah and her marble! As your alarm!
Waffles and Moo will just sit on my bed and stare at me until their minds telepath "get up and feed us" to wake me up.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Next she'll be doing this :lol: :flail: :crackup:

9895579d68540d8ebbfbdafc46d335b9.jpg

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Next she'll be doing this :lol: :flail: :crackup:

View attachment 469425
If my cats do this I do not react at all. They know I feed them on my schedual. If howling is an issue, use noise cancelers.

I do leave food out all the time for scrawny Kabuto though. He needs as much as he can get right now.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
If my cats do this I do not react at all. They know I feed them on my schedual. If howling is an issue, use noise cancelers.

I do leave food out all the time for scrawny Kabuto though. He needs as much as he can get right now.
Too funny,me too- I wake up to 5 little faces looking at me-but yet they all know it's not time yet- I'm pretty sure they just like me up becsuse when I sit up everyone gets their pets or goes right back to doing whatever their doing and they don't nag because they are not going to get the wet food until they hear" Time to eat,,cmon"

They are all adorable and so good