Please help with big decision

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks clipped to me Greg but certainly more than 1cm.

Are Dinahs eyes 2different colors( bottom photo)?.. I love that btw,it has an air of mystique

I don't know anything about cameras but man oh man are those photos sharp and the color is intense
No...eyes are same color. Those last photos were taken with just a cell phone cam. The latest indoor shots are from my dslr's.

My Canon dslr's are really great cameras. They are aging a little but they are work horses tried and true! I am tempted to trade in one of them but do not see the need as of yet.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
No...eyes are same color. Those last photos were taken with just a cell phone cam. The latest indoor shots are from my dslr's.

My Canon dslr's are really great cameras. They are aging a little but they are work horses tried and true! I am tempted to trade in one of them but do not see the need as of yet.
Wow- what kind of cell phone- my photos sure don't look like that!

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just so we are talking about the same pics.....the two of her outside are from my phone...Samsung S10e..
the latest pics of her inside are from my Dslr's.

Dslr's= Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D Mark II. The 7D has the big 100-400mm II zoom. That is my go-to wildlife combo and that is what I am using to take those pics of Dinah at a good distance, so as to not "spook" her.

The 5D is a full frame sensor with a Tamron f2.8 24-70 II lens. An excellent low light and close-up, portrait zoom lens. (Dinah in the Cat-Cave close-up)

My website is a bit dated but the galleries are listed by genre HERE

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a Nikon D3500 myself. Dslrs do take better pictures than phones for sure. My friend borrowed my d3500 and took it out into the deep woods of Algonqin park to timelapse stars. I took her to Niagra Falls and Ravenhurst. So she (the camera) has been pretty much all over ontario. Its amazing how durable these things are.

You ever do light trails? You cant do those with a phone at least not without image degration. Light trails are one of my favourite fun things to do.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Nikon D3500 myself. Dslrs do take better pictures than phones for sure. My friend borrowed my d3500 and took it out into the deep woods of Algonqin park to timelapse stars. I took her to Niagra Falls and Ravenhurst. So she (the camera) has been pretty much all over ontario. Its amazing how durable these things are.

You ever do light trails? You cant do those with a phone at least not without image degration. Light trails are one of my favourite fun things to do.
Yes,..light trails, long exposure photography, trick photography! So much fun. I did a lot of that when I got my first Dslr. HERE are some from my Photo-Art gallery.

My latest genre since 2017 has been Astrophotography. This has been a challenge but the rewards are great for me. But only when the weather cooperates. I averaged about 3-5 images p/month when I first started. But every year the weather pattern has got worse. Last year, I averaged less than 1 photo p/month :( Very frustrating to say the least. HERE are my latest astrophoto's.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes,..light trails, long exposure photography, trick photography! So much fun. I did a lot of that when I got my first Dslr. HERE are some from my Photo-Art gallery.

My latest genre since 2017 has been Astrophotography. This has been a challenge but the rewards are great for me. But only when the weather cooperates. I averaged about 3-5 images p/month when I first started. But every year the weather pattern has got worse. Last year, I averaged less than 1 photo p/month :( Very frustrating to say the least. HERE are my latest astrophoto's.
Astounding!! I do a bit of photography, my dad was an amateur nature photographer. He always had a Canon. Lately I like to do birds. I have a Sony a6400 with telephoto lenses. For now. Once I get better I may get a different camera.
Your photos are simply amazing. I love the astro ones! Being fascinated with all things outer space. You certainly get around with your "Busy morning" one!

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Astounding!! I do a bit of photography, my dad was an amateur nature photographer. He always had a Canon. Lately I like to do birds. I have a Sony a6400 with telephoto lenses. For now. Once I get better I may get a different camera.
Your photos are simply amazing. I love the astro ones! Being fascinated with all things outer space. You certainly get around with your "Busy morning" one!
Well thank you so much for your kind words on my photography! It does "boost" ones confidence for sure as we can get in a rut some times.

Oh...that "busy morning"!!! That was a lot of work...but sooo much fun to do. The neighbors must have thought I was NUTS!! I think that took a total of 2 hours to do the photography, and costume changes, and about the same time to process!

I saw this guy post some astro photos of Deep Sky Objects online in 2016 and he was using the same camera, and a slightly better lens that I had, so I had to see what it was all about. Before I spent 1 penny more on equipment, I researched, and read , and read some more about astrophotography. Then I was HOOKED.

But right now, it is all about Dinah and will continue to be about her!

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi folks. I am looking for some more advice. I think Dinah may have become constipated. Yesterday she vomited a little. Just kind of watery and also in her litter box a small bit of vomit (seemed like dry food, sorry to be graphic). And, since yesterday morning, she has been in her litter box MANY times. It seems every 10-20 minutes when she is not napping. I cleaned out her box yesterday morning. So this morning I checked and there were only a few small pieces of fecal matter (24 hours) So she is surely having difficulty.

Any suggestions on OTC remedy's? Or perhaps wait and see? How about feeding? She has been eating a little less than normal but still has an appetite and now seems to not want the "pate" food as she is liking food with more texture like shreds, fancy feast non pate, etc.

Otherwise she seems fine. Playing with toys, and in the window watching the birds. No other "crazy" changes in behavior that I can tell. Or maybe "Dad" is just over-reacting?
Thoughts? Thank you!

Greg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Miralax is my go to -a quarter to 1/2 tsp twice a day - not an exact science or dosage but it does soften stool ... I'm of the old school and still go for canned punpkin,which serves to bind a loose stool and funnily enough will help with constipation as well- many seem to be anti- pumpkin but it has always served the purpose ime---- that's what I do OTC

You should give your own Vet a call and ask his recommendation

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miralax is my go to -a quarter to 1/2 tsp twice a day - not an exact science or dosage but it does soften stool ... I'm of the old school and still go for canned punpkin,which serves to bind a loose stool and funnily enough will help with constipation as well- many seem to be anti- pumpkin but it has always served the purpose ime---- that's what I do OTC

You should give your own Vet a call and ask his recommendation
Thank you Kwik! As I was reading your reply I just took my first sip of my 2nd cup of coffee with Miralax LOL. I have to take it so I always have some on hand.

Dinah ate and did "go" a little so I will wait some more and see how she does. Today I am going to call the vets office that I intend to use. My biggest fear right now is if she does have a serious health issue while still in her "scared" state, it will be extremely difficult to get her into a carrier. So I am hoping / praying that she will stay healthy during her time in the house before the first vet visit.

Thanks again :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Kwik! As I was reading your reply I just took my first sip of my 2nd cup of coffee with Miralax LOL. I have to take it so I always have some on hand.

Dinah ate and did "go" a little so I will wait some more and see how she does. Today I am going to call the vets office that I intend to use. My biggest fear right now is if she does have a serious health issue while still in her "scared" state, it will be extremely difficult to get her into a carrier. So I am hoping / praying that she will stay healthy during her time in the house before the first vet visit.

Thanks again :)
I do understand,been in your position and we hope and pray - and WORRY,can't be helped so telling you "Try not to worry Greg" will probably not help very much BUT- try not to worry Daddy Greg.Dinah looks great,she shoes no signs or symptoms of any underlying health conditions and an occasional regurgitation( could be hairball?),diarrhea or constipation happens.... if it persits that's another story

You are doing everything you should be doing,parasite control,good diet,clean environment ,fresh water supply and lots of love- she is in a nice quiet home,nothing stressful and acclimating wonderfully.....it will be well🙏❤😻

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do understand,been in your position and we hope and pray - and WORRY,can't be helped so telling you "Try not to worry Greg" will probably not help very much BUT- try not to worry Daddy Greg.Dinah looks great,she shoes no signs or symptoms of any underlying health conditions and an occasional regurgitation( could be hairball?),diarrhea or constipation happens.... if it persits that's another story

You are doing everything you should be doing,parasite control,good diet,clean environment ,fresh water supply and lots of love- she is in a nice quiet home,nothing stressful and acclimating wonderfully.....it will be well🙏❤😻
TY Kwik! Just what I needed...a confidence booster! Just filled out a new patient form from the vet to get that started. Sometimes we feel like the patient rather than our fur babies right?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
TY Kwik! Just what I needed...a confidence booster! Just filled out a new patient form from the vet to get that started. Sometimes we feel like the patient rather than our fur babies right?
Lol- that's for sure👍You should remain confident and self assured,you could not do anything better than you have been doing all along!I mean that Greg,I wouldn't say so if it were not so

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I add a bit of water to my kitties wet food at each feeding to make sure they get enough, or is Dinah on all wet food, not any dry? If all wet food for sure she gets enough water.
I second the Miralax!
So Dinah eats wet food and in between some dry. Not a lot of dry food. She does not drink a lot of water but some. I think her constipation is easing up tonight :) Thank you for the tips!

This is a pic of under Dinah's bed where she drags MANY of the toys back to her corner. There is at least a dozen toys under there right now! This is really funny that she does this as she seems to be saying "these are my toys and all mine" haha! She also sometimes crawls / hides under the bottom of the bed-skirt on the right all the way in the back! Too Funny :lol:

ToysBedsmall.JPG

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So Dinah eats wet food and in between some dry. Not a lot of dry food. She does not drink a lot of water but some. I think her constipation is easing up tonight :) Thank you for the tips!

This is a pic of under Dinah's bed where she drags MANY of the toys back to her corner. There is at least a dozen toys under there right now! This is really funny that she does this as she seems to be saying "these are my toys and all mine" haha! She also sometimes crawls / hides under the bottom of the bed-skirt on the right all the way in the back! Too Funny :lol:
Great to hear that Dinah has eased up on her constipation. Yes, wet food will keep her hydrated.

She looks like she has lots of space for toy storage! :lol:

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great to hear that Dinah has eased up on her constipation. Yes, wet food will keep her hydrated.

She looks like she has lots of space for toy storage! :lol:
Thanks TT...yup... lots of room under there :crackup:

Edit ..see the blue ball all the way to the left? She decided to bring that to the edge of the bed and roll it out into the hallway tonight :lol:...just so wonderful to see her play like this!

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 468845
Now that's a cat cave!!!!I love that she brings all her toys in her little dynasty " Dinahs T" ( T for territory- rofl)

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey folks, just a quick update. So, Dinah is continuing to take really small baby steps as far as confidence goes. Over the last few days she is beginning to "play" with her toys outside of her room. That is just in the hallway outside of the room.

She will swat a ball from the room or just outside of it and, run after it a few feet down the hall, and run back into the room. She also is beginning to come into the hall and sit or lay and stare at me sometimes for 6-7 minutes before retreating back to her room. She will also let me next to her while inside the Cat-Cave without freaking out and will stay there after I leave! That is a bigger baby-step!

Still, anything out of the normal frightens her. I had heating issues here the last 4 days and the service people working in the basement scared her to retreat under the bed and hide all day, even though they were here for an hour or two. On 3 occasions now, I had to "roll" not start a lawnmower within her site from her windows, and just that little movement outside spooked her again, retreating to under the bed. Also, I bought another little cat bed for her to lay on in the window...WELL, NO WAY...THAT DIDN'T BELONG THERE, so she would not go back in the window until I got rid of the new bed!!!

As you can see, I continue to have my hands full with her. Extreme patience is required on my part but I am still up for the challenge. So if anyone has had a feral that was/is this tough to tame, please share some of your story(s) here again! Here is another pic I got the other day as they are few and far between! Thanks!

OH, notice her three little toes on her left rear leg that are tipped in white? Her other three paws are white except for that paw...That is just too cute!

Dinah2Witetoes.jpg