Please help with big decision

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Now he sleeps soundly right in front of the TV during action films with gunfire and explosions!He even watches me vacuum--- leave the picture on with no sound and just gradually bring in the low low volume..
Makes me think of riding on a Roomba next...just joking. None of my cats would ever do that...:jester:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Just what I wanted to hear. More reassurance from the experts! Thank you. And Kwik, that is really what I wanted to hear,...some real-time experience with your Cat(s) and how long it took to do certain things. So as to compare with :)

I have tried the face graze technique only a couple of times but Dynah is not ready yet. I can get really close to her if I lay down on the floor and she is in her room. Anywhere else and she is defensive but, I can get a little closer to her as time has gone by. So her room is her trusting place. I will try again when I think she may be receptive. She certainly is a very smart girl and she had to be this way to survive in the wild as she did. For now, I give her tons of space and respect and she is responding really well :cool2:

Thanks guys. I will update again when I have more news :)
Most folks do feel reassured by having some sort of time line to Guage their progress and there really are "averages" to go by BUT not to make you feel your falling behind or jumping ahead,just like babies- some crawl & walk long before age one and others don't feel confident enough until much later- still(as my Dad used to say) " By the time they get to kindergarten they can all walk,run,use the bathroom & tie their shoes"

You hit the nail on the head as I always try very hard to get the point across- FIRST a cat NEEDS his/her territory- until that is their comfortable ,familiar,safe place relationships are of little interest to them (by nature).... So yes,building your relationship with Dynah has started off with you earning her trust,having Saud that it is in her SAFEST environment that you should approach and make physical contact

We are not talking about a kitten here or a lost stray thst at one time came from a home- but they are not another species,she's still a cat only her behavior has been conditioned to " survive " - you are steadily helping to reconditioned her that she may now LIVE,trusting you for provision and something they all desire when not in survival mode " companionship"🥰

Great job Gregg- you've got a best friend in Dynah

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most folks do feel reassured by having some sort of time line to Guage their progress and there really are "averages" to go by BUT not to make you feel your falling behind or jumping ahead,just like babies- some crawl & walk long before age one and others don't feel confident enough until much later- still(as my Dad used to say) " By the time they get to kindergarten they can all walk,run,use the bathroom & tie their shoes"

You hit the nail on the head as I always try very hard to get the point across- FIRST a cat NEEDS his/her territory- until that is their comfortable ,familiar,safe place relationships are of little interest to them (by nature).... So yes,building your relationship with Dynah has started off with you earning her trust,having Saud that it is in her SAFEST environment that you should approach and make physical contact

We are not talking about a kitten here or a lost stray thst at one time came from a home- but they are not another species,she's still a cat only her behavior has been conditioned to " survive " - you are steadily helping to reconditioned her that she may now LIVE,trusting you for provision and something they all desire when not in survival mode " companionship"🥰

Great job Gregg- you've got a best friend in Dynah

Great way to put things in perspective Kwik! I will remember this quote next time my "Cat" friends come over for a visit :thanks:

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I finally found a Vet that would send out a stool sample from Dynah without seeing her first. That test came back and she has Roundworm. I treated Dynah in January with HomeoPet WRM Clear. This medication kills 4 types of worms including Roundworm.

A question. Should I start using this medication again, or should I find a medication to use specific for Roundworm?

The Vets office wants me to bring Dynah in of course, but I would like to treat her myself if possible as we are still in the "hands off" stage and I do not want to stress her out by forcing her into a carrier or trap.

What do you experts think about this? As always, Thank You for any response!

Greg T.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I finally found a Vet that would send out a stool sample from Dynah without seeing her first. That test came back and she has Roundworm. I treated Dynah in January with HomeoPet WRM Clear. This medication kills 4 types of worms including Roundworm.

A question. Should I start using this medication again, or should I find a medication to use specific for Roundworm?

The Vets office wants me to bring Dynah in of course, but I would like to treat her myself if possible as we are still in the "hands off" stage and I do not want to stress her out by forcing her into a carrier or trap.

What do you experts think about this? As always, Thank You for any response!

Greg T.
Greg,I understand completely and oh how we hate to stress them out BUT its probably time to get it over with and then you can just move on- she can get checked out,her shots and your probably not going to want to do yearly with her being inside and an only child but you'll have to decide those things down the road

If it were me I'd want her checked out plus they can trim her nails,clean her ears if need be-they understand your highly likely not coming back unnnecessarily with a newly transitioned feral and will do all she needs in the one visit

Itll be a small setback in the grand scheme of things

Thats my 2cents❤

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Greg,I understand completely and oh how we hate to stress them out BUT its probably time to get it over with and then you can just move on- she can get checked out,her shots and your probably not going to want to do yearly with her being inside and an only child but you'll have to decide those things down the road

If it were me I'd want her checked out plus they can trim her nails,clean her ears if need be-they understand your highly likely not coming back unnnecessarily with a newly transitioned feral and will do all she needs in the one visit

Itll be a small setback in the grand scheme of things

Thats my 2cents❤
Thank you Kwik. I suppose I just wanted to hear this from other folks as I know I have to do this soon anyways. So now I have to figure out how to get her there. I have a couple of plans and each one will be stressful (more on me than Dynah).

Ok then. Time to plan this. I will start with my have-a-hart trap and will cover it in camo and put some goodies in it. This will take time so mean while, I will start the Homeo med. I suppose it can't hurt.

Thank you :)

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Greg, she may surprise you and make noticeable progress a short while after you get her back home. That has happened with more than one of my fraidy cats in the past. It's almost as if they think about it a little, and realize that things really aren't so bad where they've been living.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Greg, she may surprise you and make noticeable progress a short while after you get her back home. That has happened with more than one of my fraidy cats in the past. It's almost as if they think about it a little, and realize that things really aren't so bad where they've been living.

I am glad that your Cats reacted in a positive way. It is almost like they know that even though they were taken to a strange horrible place, you were doing a good thing for them :)

Thanks for chiming in poolcat !

I have thought about how she will behave after she returns home. I agree with you. I think she will really move forward after her initial "home-coming!" And when she gets back home the first day, I am sure she will head for her room and go hide under her blanket under her bed. But i know she will come out stronger and more confident after a day or two. Probably even less time than that!

UPDATE: I have made the appointment. The Vet will return from vacation on April 22nd and I have to get her there between 8:00 and 5:00 on that day. It was great of them to schedule me so soon and on a late Friday afternoon before vacation!

If I bring her in early, she may be able to come home the same day. But if it requires an over-night stay, they will not charge me for that stay! But, she will be getting all of the shots and care needed for her so it may be a couple of days stay for Dynah at the Vets!

I will begin "baiting" the Have-a-hart trap to see if that will be an option for Dynah's transport to the Vet. It will be set up in the last room in the house that Dynah has not been in. The theory is if I open the door to this room, she may go and eat the food in the cage. If she does go in the trap and eat the bait during this week, I can prepare for the actual trapping. And a few hours before vet time, it will hopefully trap her. Or, I just put on my armored suit, and close her Cat-cave while she is in it, and try to get it in the extra-large cat carrier!

Thanks folks! If anyone has any other suggestions, please ring in!

Thank You :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Greg-Dynah loves her little cat cave,hidey spots

You can try putting the carrier ( tie open the door) near her safe place- a blanket or something of hers in it and treats in front of it and leading into it

The idea would be that she gets used to the carrier as just another den and she can go in and out herself.....also,good ole cat nip

I'm not keen on the idea of the unfamiliar room with the trap.....I'd work on the carrier and then push comes to shove you can always block off her cat cave/den ,armor up,burrito her with a towel and off you go...you've got 10 days for her to see the carrier sitting there as a non threat

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it is great that you have an appointment to get Dynah checked out! I was caring for two cats outside, one for three years and the other for one year, when I decided to bring them inside. I was able to get them to the vet for the first time by throwing treats into two large carriers, gradually throwing them further and further into the back. Finally, they were happily getting the treats in the far back of the carriers with their backs to the door and I quickly closed and latched the doors. A bit tricky to close both up at the same time, but it worked beautifully!

I agree with Kwik that using a carrier would be ideal. Either way, a carrier or a trap, be sure to have a towel or something to throw over the top immediately after Dynah is caught inside. It really does calm them down. I brought an extra towel to the vets in case there was an accident and I needed something clean for the trip home.

At this first appointment, one of the cats totally freaked out. I have never seen a cat climb the walls before, but this cat did! The vet had to be sure the door to the room was closed and they finally were able to catch her as she hid under a counter. They had to sedate her a bit to take blood and do an exam, but they did it! I think most vets and vet techs are used to handling all kinds of cats. In fact, they told me that my cat was not even the worst cat they had dealt with! For all future visits, this cat has been absolutely fine, although probably very scared. In fact, while she won't let me pick her up, the vet can easily hold her and pet her without a problem! So you never know how they will react. I have been able to get her to annual vet visits by throwing treats into a small bathroom, closing the door when she is further into the room, and guiding her into the carrier which was placed in the bathroom beforehand. She has little choice but to go into the carrier with a little maneuvering!

I always love to hear stories about Dynah's progress! Good luck and please keep us posted!

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Greg-Dynah loves her little cat cave,hidey spots

You can try putting the carrier ( tie open the door) near her safe place- a blanket or something of hers in it and treats in front of it and leading into it

The idea would be that she gets used to the carrier as just another den and she can go in and out herself.....also,good ole cat nip

I'm not keen on the idea of the unfamiliar room with the trap.....I'd work on the carrier and then push comes to shove you can always block off her cat cave/den ,armor up,burrito her with a towel and off you go...you've got 10 days for her to see the carrier sitting there as a non threat
This is another great idea. I only wish Dynah would eat treats. It is a rare occasion for her to do so. But the catnip may work. Even so, she is even finicky with catnip too. But I think the carrier idea may work. I will put one of her little beds in there. The carrier has been sitting in the back bedroom with the cathouse since she has been in the house. The door is wide open too. Maybe put some catnip in there too.

I was also thinking to just crimp the opening shut and carry it, with Dynah in it, to the carrier and open the cave while it's inside the carrier. I will need a second pair of hands for that scenerio! And like you said, the armor method as a last resort!

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it is great that you have an appointment to get Dynah checked out! I was caring for two cats outside, one for three years and the other for one year, when I decided to bring them inside. I was able to get them to the vet for the first time by throwing treats into two large carriers, gradually throwing them further and further into the back. Finally, they were happily getting the treats in the far back of the carriers with their backs to the door and I quickly closed and latched the doors. A bit tricky to close both up at the same time, but it worked beautifully!

I agree with Kwik that using a carrier would be ideal. Either way, a carrier or a trap, be sure to have a towel or something to throw over the top immediately after Dynah is caught inside. It really does calm them down. I brought an extra towel to the vets in case there was an accident and I needed something clean for the trip home.

At this first appointment, one of the cats totally freaked out. I have never seen a cat climb the walls before, but this cat did! The vet had to be sure the door to the room was closed and they finally were able to catch her as she hid under a counter. They had to sedate her a bit to take blood and do an exam, but they did it! I think most vets and vet techs are used to handling all kinds of cats. In fact, they told me that my cat was not even the worst cat they had dealt with! For all future visits, this cat has been absolutely fine, although probably very scared. In fact, while she won't let me pick her up, the vet can easily hold her and pet her without a problem! So you never know how they will react. I have been able to get her to annual vet visits by throwing treats into a small bathroom, closing the door when she is further into the room, and guiding her into the carrier which was placed in the bathroom beforehand. She has little choice but to go into the carrier with a little maneuvering!

I always love to hear stories about Dynah's progress! Good luck and please keep us posted!
Thank you Avery for sharing your thoughts and experiences! Great idea about a cover over the carrier. I put a camo rain jacket over the have-a-hart trap in case I decide I have to go that route.

I can imagine your Cat climbing the walls! Dynah did this when she first got in my house! I am certain they will need to sedate Dynah too. She is still just too "wild" right now. Isn't that interesting how Vets can handle (pick up) our unruly cats, and some of us cannot? They just have a magical touch, aura I suppose.

Thanks for sharing. You know, everybody's input is incredibly helpful and perhaps more so, gives me more confidence and lowers my stress level a lot! So thank you again :thanks:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Avery for sharing your thoughts and experiences! Great idea about a cover over the carrier. I put a camo rain jacket over the have-a-hart trap in case I decide I have to go that route.

I can imagine your Cat climbing the walls! Dynah did this when she first got in my house! I am certain they will need to sedate Dynah too. She is still just too "wild" right now. Isn't that interesting how Vets can handle (pick up) our unruly cats, and some of us cannot? They just have a magical touch, aura I suppose.

Thanks for sharing. You know, everybody's input is incredibly helpful and perhaps more so, gives me more confidence and lowers my stress level a lot! So thank you again :thanks:
Greg-some cats do very well in a strangers hands and in an unfamiliar place with the scent of many many animals- they're almost in a state of euphoria,its very funny BUT not most ferals do not so the Vet needs to have some very good techs(& some will not even deal with them,they'll sedate them using a squeeze fork in the trap

My Vet and all the techs that saw Timmy nicknamed him "Wild Man
" -he was not handleable at all and had to be transferred from the carrier to a cage to sedate him-when I picked him up and was petting his face with my fingers they were shocked

My point is that you've made a good decision and you're gonna feel really great knowing she's all taken care of ( remember to get her nails trimmed) I had forgotten all about Timmy's and he has spears now-Freddy Kruger style

I like your idea of carrying her in her cubby- use a board in front then slide it out when you transfer her to the carrier- just tap the den behind her and she'll want to move forward into the carrier....

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it's time for a vet visit, it's in her best interest overall to get checked out- and yours in case something else needs to be treated. It could be difficult, or maybe not as bad, but necessary.
My experience- Waffles (semi-feral stray) was a real challenge to get to the vet- and still is. He won't let me pick him up, so I have had to just corral him. If he went in a carrier as soon as he saw me approach he'd dart out. So that doesn't work. I can now scruff him when he's sitting beside me to football carry him to the carrier, if he chooses to sit with me not long before the appointment! I've had to cancel more than one appt. and reschedule due to not being able to get him in a carrier.
If not, I have to lure him into a room in the house that doesn't have a bed or dresser or chair that he can hide under and close the door- from there he knows something is up and crouches and stress meows. I have a towel with me and approach and cover him with it, he then freezes and stays curled up- all the time stress meowing. Sometimes my anxiety over it is a tipoff to him and he won't go in a room when I need him to. Now a couple of times a month I'll lure him into the room with treats, close the door, then open it just to let him know I'm not always going to take him to the vet when I do that!
The first times it left me almost in tears from his reactions. But, it's a must to get them checked out. At the vet he stays frozen- pick him up and his legs are all tucked under and he's just a ball of fur! So the exam part is not difficult.
After getting home he hides for awhile, but the next day or the one after that he is fine again.
So, expect it to be unpleasant but know it has to be done, and maybe it might be less unpleasant. And they can sense our anxiety!
She'll see that she survives it, and she'll be okay. Better than all the fears of being an outside cat :redheartpump:.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
More good ideas. :evilgrin: I will come back to these posts as the time gets closer to kick start my mind again.

Thank you pearl99 for your input and experiences too :) It is really nice to read about others past dealings with vets and how to prepare and get them there. The "throw towel over Cat" is another great tactic! I may have to do that.

You are so right too. I will feel better just knowing Dynah is being treated by a professional. It will be a HUGE mental relief!

Thank you all again.

BTW,...I was up in the computer room last evening, sitting on the chair, and Dynah snuck right behind me and went in the closet for a few minutes. I did not even realize she was there! First time that she has gone in that room with me in it! She is getting really bold now :D:D:D

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok guys. The time is this Monday April 22nd at 8:40 am. Dynah and I have our first meet with the new Vet! They know she is a recent feral and so they claim they will be ready for her. Mulling all of my options over, I have decided this course of action.

Hopefully, she will be sleeping or just in her Cat-Cave during the early morning. She has been pretty steady going in the cave around 7:30-8:00 if I do not get up and out of bed. If she is anywhere else in this timeframe, I will have to wait to bring her in later. The office understands this and I will have to contact them if the time changes.

Here is the plan: bring carrier into her room and set it next to bed (with a large towel on it to cover the windows from outside view)
I then, from behind the cat cave, reach over it, and tightly close the opening shut with both hands.

Then, turn and put the cave into the carrier and push a bit to get Dynah out of cave and into the back of carrier, then close door, and lock it. This will have to be a fast process. If I mess up, I will most likely have to let things cool down for quite some time to be able to try again down the road. If she is not in her cat-cave after a few hours, I may try to "suit up" and tightly cradle her and put her in carrier. That is the last option I am willing to try on Monday.

This seems to be my best option and I had my "Cat" friends over to discuss my options. They were really helpful with prep and other things I did not think about. But you guys were instrumental in getting Dynah and I to this point.

If this does work, my only concern is that Dynah may lose confidence in the security the cat-cave has provided so far. And she will also be taking MANY steps back in her confidence. But that will be a sacrifice I will have to accept. And who, knows. Like a few of you said, she may come home and after a very short time, take MANY steps froward knowing she is back in "her home"

Thanks again and wish me luck. I almost forgot, I put together another new quick video of Dynah and her antics:

DYNAH's NEW VIDEO

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great video! Dynah is adorable and just so funny! I love when they jump up in the air with their toys! Do you have any kick sticks for her? I have a few that have catnip in them and one of my cats loves to run around and grab one and just kick away!

Your plan for Monday sounds good! My advice from my experience would be to have as much in place as possible beforehand. When you are reaching for the cat cave and closing it, yes, be quick and decisive! I get nervous and over-think these things so the night before, I go over each step in my head and try to remember little odds and ends that will help. For example, close the door behind me, wear a heavy long-sleeve shirt, wear gloves, have a towel ready, test the lock on the carrier ahead of time, etc., etc. Picturing it happening somehow helps me to be more positive and confident that it WILL work out! It sounds like your cat friends helped you with this.

Have a nice, relaxing weekend and I hope you have good luck getting Dynah to the vet on Monday! We're all rooting for you!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ok guys. The time is this Monday April 22nd at 8:40 am. Dynah and I have our first meet with the new Vet! They know she is a recent feral and so they claim they will be ready for her. Mulling all of my options over, I have decided this course of action.
Can you inform the vet that you may be late due to getting Dynah into the carrier so that you don’t miss the appointment.

Leave the carrier open in her room till Monday. Sprinkle some catnip inside the carrier. Also try getting her toys in it so that she can go in to retrieve it and not be so weary about the carrier.

Also, can you carry Dynah beforehand and slot her into the carrier instead? It’s just a suggestion as this will not spook her too much.

I hope that there’s not much stress for both of you.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great video! Dynah is adorable and just so funny! I love when they jump up in the air with their toys! Do you have any kick sticks for her? I have a few that have catnip in them and one of my cats loves to run around and grab one and just kick away!

Your plan for Monday sounds good! My advice from my experience would be to have as much in place as possible beforehand. When you are reaching for the cat cave and closing it, yes, be quick and decisive! I get nervous and over-think these things so the night before, I go over each step in my head and try to remember little odds and ends that will help. For example, close the door behind me, wear a heavy long-sleeve shirt, wear gloves, have a towel ready, test the lock on the carrier ahead of time, etc., etc. Picturing it happening somehow helps me to be more positive and confident that it WILL work out! It sounds like your cat friends helped you with this.

Have a nice, relaxing weekend and I hope you have good luck getting Dynah to the vet on Monday! We're all rooting for you!
Avery, thank you for your post. Great advice! I did not think about closing the bedroom door after setting the carrier down. I will now :) and will go over in my head the procedure. I have been doing that all week :crazy:

I love how she jumps and throws those balls. I could watch these vids all day. So entertaining!
I have bought a few "kicker" toys for Dynah but, she does not bother with them. I will try again with some catnip. Thank you for your support:thanks:

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you inform the vet that you may be late due to getting Dynah into the carrier so that you don’t miss the appointment.

Leave the carrier open in her room till Monday. Sprinkle some catnip inside the carrier. Also try getting her toys in it so that she can go in to retrieve it and not be so weary about the carrier.

Also, can you carry Dynah beforehand and slot her into the carrier instead? It’s just a suggestion as this will not spook her too much.

I hope that there’s not much stress for both of you.
Thanks for the tips TT. I did call the vet yesterday to remind them of my situation. They are willing to work with me. If I cannot get Dynah to them early enough, they will not charge me for an overnight stay. That is a very nice offer that they have in place.

I thought about trying to "pick her up" and I have approached her in many different ways but, she is just not ready to be touched yet, much less picked up and carried. I would need an armor suit for that 🤕.

But she is certainly on her way of being very tame!

Thanks for your support TT :sunshine: