Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maine Coon x Persian

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, as far as I know, this is correct. The alleles O (coding for orange) and o (coding for not orange) sit on the X-chromosome. So, for a female cat (XX), if they inherit OO they will be orange, oo they won’t be orange, and Oo they will be a tortie, torbie, or calico. Therefore, in order for a female cat to have the OO genotype, they need to inherit one O allele from each parent. This means that dad needs to be orange, and mom needs to either be a orange or a tortie.
Thanks @abyeb I figured you would know this. :yess:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, as far as I know, this is correct. The alleles O (coding for orange) and o (coding for not orange) sit on the X-chromosome. So, for a female cat (XX), if they inherit OO they will be orange, oo they won’t be orange, and Oo they will be a tortie, torbie, or calico. Therefore, in order for a female cat to have the OO genotype, they need to inherit one O allele from each parent. This means that dad needs to be orange, and mom needs to either be a orange or a tortie.
This is true for every breed or just some specific ones? Also, if a kitten is red/orange tabby, both his parents have to be orange and it can’t be like one orange and one some other colour?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to every person who helped me here. I don’t know how to tag people here but each one of you has been immensely helpful to me. I am finally getting a cat home. I will start a new thread to introduce her to everyone. Thanks again :)