Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maine Coon x Persian

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys I’m attaching a few pics. The guys says the breed is Siberian. Please help me out

I'm not sure about these 2. There could be some Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest Cat, or possibly a couple other breeds in their ancestry. I don't think they are pure bred and I really don't think Siberian is there at all. If so, very little. Having said that...they look thin and maybe not in the best care. There appearance may change with better care and some weight on them. I think you posted $280 for the pair which isn't bad but have they had any vet visits or been tested for anything? From a rescue they have had test and vet visits so something to consider. This guy is a BYB at best from what I can tell. It's a judgement call on your part. Don't let age be a factor but rather temperament and social behavior when you visit them. They all are pretty cats. They just need to be in a better environment and better taken care of. It would be nice to see that happen. Keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about these 2. There could be some Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest Cat, or possibly a couple other breeds in their ancestry. I don't think they are pure bred and I really don't think Siberian is there at all. If so, very little. Having said that...they look thin and maybe not in the best care. There appearance may change with better care and some weight on them. I think you posted $280 for the pair which isn't bad but have they had any vet visits or been tested for anything? From a rescue they have had test and vet visits so something to consider. This guy is a BYB at best from what I can tell. It's a judgement call on your part. Don't let age be a factor but rather temperament and social behavior when you visit them. They all are pretty cats. They just need to be in a better environment and better taken care of. It would be nice to see that happen. Keep us updated!
They have had vet visits and are vaccinated. They are not in a proper environment for sure. That guy has now delayed the visit for another week :( so not until next Saturday that I get to see them

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm do you think the tabby one will grow the size of the Siberian(( if he has some Siberian ancestry)
Probably not the full size, but definitely big. That is if he truly has Siberian in him. My little girl had some Siberian somewhere. She just turned 8 months and is 12 lbs. ( I don't know how to convert to metric). So chances are, he will be much bigger. How big is he now?

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably not the full size, but definitely big. That is if he truly has Siberian in him. My little girl had some Siberian somewhere. She just turned 8 months and is 12 lbs. ( I don't know how to convert to metric). So chances are, he will be much bigger. How big is he now?
I have seen him him as much as you.( I only have pictures of him) I had scheduled to go see him today but the guy postponed it to next week. :( It’s been a month lookjng for a cat/kitten but to no use. I don’t why but this is getting frustrating:(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are all of those cats in such a tiny cage?

What happened to the other two you were going to rescue?

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why are all of those cats in such a tiny cage?

What happened to the other two you were going to rescue?
The guy postponed the meeting by a week and that was the last I heard from him.
I have no idea why they are put in such a small cage. I asked for a picture of red tabby Siberian I want to buy from the seller and these are the pictures he sent

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The red tabby does look a lot like Samai. According to people in the know, she has Siberian influence. So going by that alone, I would say 'yes, it does'. But I'm in no way an expert and never heard of a Siberian cat before her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel concerned that you are paying purebred prices for cats that are lookalikes at best, and not properly cared for. I would again recommend that you find a reputable rescue.

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel concerned that you are paying purebred prices for cats that are lookalikes at best, and not properly cared for. I would again recommend that you find a reputable rescue.
Is $200 bad for one of these?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any amount is bad if you are being lied to and supporting a backyard breeder.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? You can look for a breed-specific rescue.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
3 of the pics appear to have Siberian influence. The 1 pic of the cat by himself by the black baseboard appears to have the muzzle of a Maine Coon. I would in no way say they are "purebred" there's no way of knowing without papers or a DNA test. There's always the chance they are inbred. There's a chance of that if you get one from a shelter too. $200 is not a bad price if they have had shots and it's documented. You could call a local vet and get prices on the vaccinations the breeder claims they have and it would give you an idea of what he has invested. talkingpeanut talkingpeanut makes valid points but $200 is not a purebred price. This breeder has already lied to you about the breed of the cats you posted in your initial post. I would say at best they are a back yard breeder and not honest. I can't help but wonder why they keep putting you off. Maybe your asking them to many questions? I don't know.

However, something will happen to these cats. They could very well end up as bait cats. I think that is the term. What that means is that at some point they could be thrown into a cage with a Pitbull or any dog that someone is training to fight to make the dog mean. Obviously the cat will not win. This does happen. So I see no harm in going to look at them and if one crawls up on your lap and steals your heart and you bring him home you would be taking it out of a bad situation. While I was there I would take a "EXTREMELY" good look at what is going on and if these cats are in bad living conditions or you think they are being abused in anyway....call the Humane Society and you may could save them all and put a stop to what they are doing. The best advice I can give you is to go with your gut and be vigilant and pay attention to what the breeder says and what you see when you are there. I can't give you any better advice than that. I guessing he's going to keep putting you off. Don't make any hasty decisions because your anxious to get a cat. Hope this helps.

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 of the pics appear to have Siberian influence. The 1 pic of the cat by himself by the black baseboard appears to have the muzzle of a Maine Coon. I would in no way say they are "purebred" there's no way of knowing without papers or a DNA test. There's always the chance they are inbred. There's a chance of that if you get one from a shelter too. $200 is not a bad price if they have had shots and it's documented. You could call a local vet and get prices on the vaccinations the breeder claims they have and it would give you an idea of what he has invested. talkingpeanut talkingpeanut makes valid points but $200 is not a purebred price. This breeder has already lied to you about the breed of the cats you posted in your initial post. I would say at best they are a back yard breeder and not honest. I can't help but wonder why they keep putting you off. Maybe your asking them to many questions? I don't know.

However, something will happen to these cats. They could very well end up as bait cats. I think that is the term. What that means is that at some point they could be thrown into a cage with a Pitbull or any dog that someone is training to fight to make the dog mean. Obviously the cat will not win. This does happen. So I see no harm in going to look at them and if one crawls up on your lap and steals your heart and you bring him home you would be taking it out of a bad situation. While I was there I would take a "EXTREMELY" good look at what is going on and if these cats are in bad living conditions or you think they are being abused in anyway....call the Humane Society and you may could save them all and put a stop to what they are doing. The best advice I can give you is to go with your gut and be vigilant and pay attention to what the breeder says and what you see when you are there. I can't give you any better advice than that. I guessing he's going to keep putting you off. Don't make any hasty decisions because your anxious to get a cat. Hope this helps.
Hey just an update. The mother and father of these Siberian kittens are purebred and certified. The kittens are not. And the woman who’s giving these is not the one I mentioned initially. This woman has quite a good reputation here. She doesn’t have a breeder title but she works with several NGOs so I guess it’s okay to trust her. The kitten that she’s giving has been a runner up in a recently organised cat show. I don’t know if you’re aware of ICF but they organise a annual cat show here in India and the cats that these woman has have participated in that show and the mother Siberian has even won it a couple of years ago.

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a query. I have read somewhere that for a red tabby is only born when the mother is red/torbie. Is this true?

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, your in India. I assume you meant ICF which is a member of WCF? This sounds more legit than the first breeder you were looking at. With not knowing a lot about your area and these organizations I can't give you a lot of solid advice on standards and practices. If the parents are certified/registered I would think they are purebred and the offspring should be able to be registered too. Still, the best advice I can give you is to go with your gut on this. I just don't know enough about your location to give solid advice on pricing or breeders.

I'm not sure about your red tabby question without researching it. Maybe abyeb abyeb can answer this.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Just a query. I have read somewhere that for a red tabby is only born when the mother is red/torbie. Is this true?
Yes, as far as I know, this is correct. The alleles O (coding for orange) and o (coding for not orange) sit on the X-chromosome. So, for a female cat (XX), if they inherit OO they will be orange, oo they won’t be orange, and Oo they will be a tortie, torbie, or calico. Therefore, in order for a female cat to have the OO genotype, they need to inherit one O allele from each parent. This means that dad needs to be orange, and mom needs to either be a orange or a tortie.