Perfect outdoor cat enclosure?

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello! So i want to build my cats an outdoor cat enclosure ( i call it a cat coop lol) can anyone give me recommendations on how to build the perfect one?
what to include?
tips or tricks?
a place to buy a good one?
blueprints?
A good size?
There will be 3 cats in there 🐱🐱🐱
THANKS!!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It really depends on how much space you have and how much money you want to invest in it. If you have a look on YouTube there are some really nice "tours" of other people's catios.

This in one of my favourites.

Make sure your cats can get in and out of your house without any trouble. You don't want them locked in the catio if anything happens to scare them.
Make sure it has a roof so they can't get out and nothing can climb in.
Provide a litter box or a toilet area out there for them.
They will need some kind of shelter from the sun and rain.
Make the most of vertical space. Cats like to be able to climb so give them several different levels to explore.
My cat enclosure just has a net fence, but a wire fence might be a better solution if you're in a more urban area.
Make sure you can access it easily too. The cats will love it if you sit out there with them, so give yourself a deck chair to sit in.

Water features, flower gardens, hanging baskets, cat grass and cat nip and plants that will attract butterfly can all make it more appealing.

Let us see pictures of whatever you come up with.

:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It really depends on how much space you have and how much money you want to invest in it. If you have a look on YouTube there are some really nice "tours" of other people's catios.

This in one of my favourites.

Make sure your cats can get in and out of your house without any trouble. You don't want them locked in the catio if anything happens to scare them.
Make sure it has a roof so they can't get out and nothing can climb in.
Provide a litter box or a toilet area out there for them.
They will need some kind of shelter from the sun and rain.
Make the most of vertical space. Cats like to be able to climb so give them several different levels to explore.
My cat enclosure just has a net fence, but a wire fence might be a better solution if you're in a more urban area.
Make sure you can access it easily too. The cats will love it if you sit out there with them, so give yourself a deck chair to sit in.

Water features, flower gardens, hanging baskets, cat grass and cat nip and plants that will attract butterfly can all make it more appealing.

Let us see pictures of whatever you come up with.

:)
Thanks! We live out in the country and have plenty of wild animals roaming so i would definitely have to do chicken wire or something. But i will post pics once complete!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they'll be out there at night (like if you have a cat door or open window so they can go out at will), I'd go with something stronger than chicken wire, at least for the sides (it might be ok for the top). Coyotes can get through chicken wire. Welded farm fence is probably the best choice.

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they'll be out there at night (like if you have a cat door or open window so they can go out at will), I'd go with something stronger than chicken wire, at least for the sides (it might be ok for the top). Coyotes can get through chicken wire. Welded farm fence is probably the best choice.
Yes! I havnt thought of that! We have plenty of coyotes here! Along with wild dogs, possums, raccoons, foxes!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As was mentioned above. Welded farm fence wire is probably the best. My preference is "Horse Panels" which have 4" x 2" openings. The panels come in various sizes and will stand on their own. Can be cut with bolt cutters or a hand grinder. Can be spiced back together in corners with hog rings, and can stapled to wood with fencing staples. Very sturdy and very secure.
Lighter gauge, roll wire can be used on the ceiling.

Dogs can get through chicken wire if they really want to, and a cat inside is a really good motivation for certain dogs.
Raccoons can get through chicken wire as well. Cat food inside would be their motivation.