Tips For Building A Diy Catio?

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl used to be an indoor/outdoor cat who spent the majority of her time outside - her old owner (and my landlord) used to let her outside at around 6am and bring her in at 9pm to sleep. I made her fully indoor when I adopted her last September, but she has a limited amount of space to roam inside due to my cat-hating housemates.

Our current setup makes it so that Smo is in my small bedroom most of the time, but I give her access to a 2-story foyer area all day, until we settle in for bed at night. I would allow her in there 24/7 but the foyer door leads into my bedroom, and all the other units in my apartment have access to that area. Not to mention the foyer is connected to a front door, which the landlord uses without warning - I don't let Smo in the foyer unsupervised for fear that either my landlord or a neighbor will let her out, despite everyone being told not to use that door.

The weather's going to warm up here soon, and there have been a lot more ferals and increased coyote sightings in our neighborhood. I've been wanting to set up a catio area for Smo to enjoy when it gets warm, but have been deterred by the cost and the fact that I'm in a rental. However I do think my landlord would allow me to set something up on the balcony that connects to my bedroom, so long as it's not unsightly. This would mean though that the catio area would have to measure 3 feet high at most.

I'm not handy and have no idea where to start with this, but I really want Smo to have a safe space to hang out in outdoors. A closed-off catio would also keep away the strays and ferals that have been coming around and scaring her, because they're attracted by the smell of her cat food and litterboxes. I want her to feel safe in her own space and not like there are intruders lurking about constantly.

I'd really love to build her a catio before summer comes around - has anyone on here DIY'ed a good catio on the cheap?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, you might try doing a YouTube search on "DIY catio."

The reason there are no step by step instructions available is that each space is unique. Your best bet is probably to view as many pictures and videos on catios as possible, to pick up ideas.

Margret