Our Beautiful Sweet Daughter Is Leaving Us........and Its Completely Destroying Us

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rip Mew Mew, she's happy and healthy and peaceful in a much better place now playing with all our pets who have gone before. I'll bet Inky's introducing her to his siblings that he's been reunited with and showing her some old feral tricks.
The grief does come and go and you can be completely fine and then one silly minor little thing can hit you out of nowhere like a truck and cause you to feel like you're having a major breakdown out of nowhere. Each anniversary or holiday of my mom's death I think I'll be a basket case but I'm always fine and then am a mess a week or two before or after. With the one year anniversary of my beloved dog's death a few months ago, same thing I was dreading being a mess, he and my mom both died in February so it's a lousy month for me. I was fine and then a few days later I ran into one of my last dog's many admirers at a bar or restaurant who was telling me how awesome the dog was and how many people loved and missed me bringing him everywhere and I was still fine but then later at home just lost it. The littlest things.
Like the routine you had with your pet. I still wake up wanting to check if Inky ate and to give him his insulin and other meds, that was a huge focus of my life for the past two years, maintaining his diabetes and health. I still have his meds the hospital won't return them. I put most of them on a drawer but still have a couple in the refrigerator that I can't throw away yet.
Time helps but you're always going to miss your Mew Mew. Try to be comforted knowing that you took the best care of her ever and did the right thing for her and how peaceful she was and able to be home with you and her loved ones. Those are huge positive things and she didn't suffer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jason607

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And when the time is right you will know when to adopt another kitty to love and take care of in Mew Mew's honor and memory, and God will work in mysterious ways like he did with Sylvester. A few months after Sebastian passed, I saw a picture of a little kitty in the paper up for adoption, just a black and white picture but the description and picture made me say "it looks like a little Simon"; it wasn't until the next night that I looked up "Dexter" on the rescue place's website and my jaw dropped as the much better color picture showed that he looked like a miniature Simon AND Sebastian combined which is what started this whole thing rolling last year!
I know eventually we will be ready. When the time is right we will get two so they not only have us but each other. It will be up to the wife as it will take her longer to recover then me. I have already made up my mind that we will be getting shelter cats only. This way we help the ones that need us the most. I'm tempted to get the "perfect" cats as far as looks/breed but that would be selfish. I would much rather adopt some poor kitties that are stuck in cages with a bleak future.

I know of this wonderful no kill shelter near me that are very very strict in who they will adopt an animal too. They care about the well being of the animals first and will refuse to let you adopt if they think you would not be a good fit for the pet. That's my kind of place. When my wife is ready we will be going to them to support their mission of putting animals first.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending mental hugs to both you and your wife. I'll look forward to the day when you can both introduce new family members to us. That time will come, but it can't be rushed. Thinking of you both.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I know eventually we will be ready. When the time is right we will get two so they not only have us but each other. It will be up to the wife as it will take her longer to recover then me. I have already made up my mind that we will be getting shelter cats only. This way we help the ones that need us the most. I'm tempted to get the "perfect" cats as far as looks/breed but that would be selfish. I would much rather adopt some poor kitties that are stuck in cages with a bleak future.

I know of this wonderful no kill shelter near me that are very very strict in who they will adopt an animal too. They care about the well being of the animals first and will refuse to let you adopt if they think you would not be a good fit for the pet. That's my kind of place. When my wife is ready we will be going to them to support their mission of putting animals first.
That's wonderful!!!

Jason607

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry internet went down as I was typing this hours ago, it just came back on. Thanks everyone for asking about Mew Mew's story. It really means a lot that all of you genuinely want to know about her. I would be happy to share:

Mew Mew's mother was a purebred Egyptian Mau. She was owned by a breeder (one of those horrible ones) who lived near my father in law 11 years ago. One day she escaped and breeded with an unknown male cat. The breeder did not realize that she got pregnant from an outside cat. However, when the kittens were born and he realized this; the evil bastard threw all the little babies out of the house.

The reason we know the above story is that my father saw Mew Mew wandering the neighborhood as a tiny little kitten that was starving. She came up to him to beg for food and he couldn't just leave her. When she was being carried back to the house the breeder recognized her and demanded that my FIL pay him because Mew Mew was originally "his cat"!!! So my confused FIL asked him what he meant and when he heard the above story he proceeded to ignore all demands for payment and took Mew Mew in. My sister in law and my wife literally raised her exclusively. They were both her mothers.

My FIL may seem like a great person from the above story but lets just say that he is no better then the breeder from above. The only difference is that he was a horrible person in a different ways then the breeder. But that's another story. My mother in law isn't any better. They are the two main culprits behind my wife's traumatic childhood. One of these traumatic experiences happened when Mew Mew was 6 years old. By that point the family had 8 cats. This is despite my wife's instance ever since the 4th cat that they had too many and its not fair for so many cats to live in such cramped conditions. Yet, my FIL and MIL continually bought stray cats home until they had 8 cats in a 2/2 house.

Despite this my wife and her sister dutifully took care of all of them. And surprisingly all the cats had such good souls that they bonded and lived in harmony without fighting. But one day my MIL decided they had too many cats. This is despite the fact that she was responsible for many of the adoptions. What was her solution? She literally took all the cats into the car, drove them miles away from the house and just abandoned them!! She did not leave a single cat in the house, decided not to even put in any effort to have them adopted or given to a shelter but instead just impulsively throw them to the streets to die.

My wife was not living with them at the time and did not find out about this until a week later. Me and her drove to the area where she abandoned the cats and desperately searched for them for hours. We did not find a single one......We came back another day and by the grace of god found Mew Mew. Unfortunately, we have no idea what happened to the rest of the sweet cats.....

Before this experience Mew Mew LOVED other cats. However, after being thrown out she became hyper aggressive towards any cats she came in contact with. I'm guessing she ran into some very aggressive feral cats who were nothing like her other 7 sweet sisters. This probably traumatized her to a point where she hated any cat she saw. This is the reason we didn't adopt any other cats. We wanted to respect Mew Mew's wishes.

From the day she moved in with us she had the most perfect life. She had the best of everything for the last 5 years. We gave the the best food, plenty of love and plenty of care. She was our baby. We never ate until we gave her food first. Anytime she showed that she loved something it became hers. For example, we had these dining room chairs that we were going to sell. But she liked laying on them and scratching them so much that we just left them randomly placed through the house so she can always have one where she was at. We were super careful about her security. We have a screened and roofed patio. We also had locks installed on the doors so they cant be opened from the outside. Yet, we were so careful with her that anytime she was outside one of us always kept an eye on her. She had an overabundance of things at the house. This includes 2 litter boxed both cleaned daily. 2 food and water bowls so she didn't have to go far in case she was on one side of the house. Countless toys throughout the house. A minimum of 2 hours (sometimes more) of outside patio time. And three people who loved her very much interacting with her through the day.

In return she slowly started to recover from the nightmare she went through when she was thrown out. For the first year after that experience she was so afraid of being alone that she would literally try to cling to us as much as possible. She did not want to be by herself. She would cry if she was left alone. But after about 2 years, she was living such an amazing life that she slowly started to go back to her old self. She became spunky, playful, friendly and was willing to be independent without feeling abandoned. Then unfortunately this happened and you all know that story. Still I find some comfort in knowing we literally gave her one of the best life's a cat can have. We will be giving that same love and dedication to the next babies we bring into our life once my wife is ready.

Attachments

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that was quite a story! Thank you for sharing that with us. I am so proud of you and your wife for rising above such difficult childhoods and opening up your hearts like that to Mew Mew. I feel like you both still have so much to give. You mentioned that you both will be able to retire at 45. That's amazing. It sounds like you will have the time and ability to open your hearts again to more kitties in need. Maybe this is your purpose in life, the reason you made it through the tough times...

Jason607

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you maggie for taking the time to read about our daughter. We are both HUGE animal lovers and animal activists. We both believe that an animals life has equal value to ours. My life's goal (god willing) is to start two charities. One for animals/environment and the other for the neediest of people in third world countries. If everything goes according to plan the charities will be able to be indefinitely self sustaining in terms of funding based on my investment strategies. Hopefully when we have children, one of them will be like minded in our philosophy and continue to grow the foundations. This way we can continue to help animals/humans for centuries to come. I really hope we can accomplish this because it breaks my heart to see animals/people suffering. Unfortunately, at this point in our lives we are limited in terms of how many people/animals we can help. But hopefully if our plan comes to fruition we can change the lives of many animals/people across the world.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
What an awesome life you gave Mew Mew and how grateful and lucky she was that you and your wife were able to find her and spoil her and let her heal for the rest of her life.

That's so heartless to just abandon all 8 cats after caring for them for years. Sounds like horrible people but I don't want to say anything judgmental since they're your wife's parents although it sounds like they were horrible to her too.
I've taken in two cats and two dogs from shelters, most I literally found suffering and hungry on the streets and took them in because I saw their homelessness first hand and couldn't resist giving them a home and shelter and love to heal them. The times I've gone to a shelter I wanted to adopt all of them so I try not to go very often.

I think it's great to go to a place that's picky about adopting to the right home and finding a good match but even the most knowledgeable and experienced experts can be wrong too. Sometimes your instincts are right and defy reason.
When I adopted my current dog I was still grieving my last dog of almost twelve years who was literally my dog soul mate and no one could ever replace. It was barely a month since he'd died and I was still devastated and crying all the time but had been looking online at shelters and rescues for a couple of weeks knowing it could take a while to find a good match. I wanted a dog completely opposite in every way to avoid comparing them as much as possible, different breeds different colors, young etc.

I kept seeing my current dog at the SPCA he'd been there since right when my last dog had died and no one had wanted him for a month. He was a little older than I wanted but still young, a mix of breeds but part German Shepherd which I really wanted and a weird mix of black and brown, I'd wanted a black dog so close enough.
I knew it was too soon emotionally but practically I wanted another dog to get me out of the house more on my days off and I was living alone in a city in a not great neighborhood at the time and working very late hours at a different job and wanted a large dog with me late at night when I had to park and walk several blocks away, or work alone in the office in an even worse neighborhood nights and weekends. I pondered and procrastinated until late one night a creepy man followed me to my car and I barely made it in the car and locked the doors before he was trying to open the doors. I has to start the car and practically run him over to get away. That was my sign to get another dog sooner rather than later. My last dog would have taken care of that situation immediately.
So I went to the shelter the next weekend and my new dog was still there. The staff let me walk him alone and take him to a fenced run area and told me to keep the leash on of I let him loose as he was very hard to catch. They told me a bunch of bad things about him, he'd been unsocialized, given up by 2 homes, a basket case in the shelter and had to be on a whole separate floor was afraid of tall men and anyone with hats, couldn't make it through 20 minutes of obedience class, was pushy with other dogs, mouthy, jumped on people, no mannrrs, a runaway and escape artist and needed an experienced owner and I'd have to sign up for their obedience classes. I took this large monster out alone. He was quiet, hesitant and well behaved. Distractible and I didn't feel any strong connection he was just a handsome pleasant if distant dog who listened and walked fine. No jumping no mouthing, not nearly as strong as my last tank of a dog had been at times. I let him loose in the run and caught him.
I brought him back and said he's fine I've had large difficult dogs before and trained horses for 20 years, which is true. They asked what he did and made me come back the next day because I "didn't see his true nature". I spent hours with him the next day and he was still fine. Then they decided he failed their cat test and tried to talk me out of adoping him because I had 4 cats at the time and they decided he had a high prey drive and he'd kill my cats.
I read his last owners paperwork who was a friend who took him from his original owner, he'd lived with cats in both homes since he was born and was fine with them his whole life. I watched the shelter cat test it was with a passive cat on a leash who froze and meowed when he went to sniff it. Yes he was exuberant to sniff but I knew my formerly feral kitties would put him in his place fast and show him who's boss as they did with my last 80 pound akita pit bull mix. They terrorized him and then bonded with him. They could take on this younger pup. So I politely argued and debated with the behaviorists and supervisor that i had many years experience with large dogs and many cats as well as horses and human behavior from my job and could guarantee that I wouldn't leave him alone with the cats at first and would closely supervise the interactions and keep all pets safe.
This is long enough but I was right, he tried to chase my smallest meanest cat the first night while leashed and got a scratched cornea and two weeks of eye meds. Over a year later they're all bonded and sleep on the bed together and he's depressed and grieving his best buddy Inky who he tried to save from cancer. He's still afraid of my little Ruby who got him the first night though but they get along cautiously. Once I took him home, his untrained behaviors definitely did come out and we had a lot of training and learning to bond and trust each other. But now he's a therapy dog and we have our own unique strong bond. He's loving, affectionate and gentle and loves people but never lets anyone get near the car to break in! And is finally getting well trained after a lot of hard work. Sorry I know it's a cat site, but experts don't always know best if you connect with the right animal. And cats can learn to trust and bond with other pets again. Ruby hates dogs because I found him as a 3 month starving kitten in Aruba which has many stray cats and dogs. The stray dogs travel in packs and attack cars stopped at lights. Ruby had no mother or siblings and was alone next to a busy road, very friendly to people and my other cats when he met them. The second he saw my last dog he turned into a panther and attacked. From his immediate reaction, I'm guessing stray dogs attacked his mother and siblings when he was young and he managed to escape or hide somehow. But he learned to really love my last dog and at least tolerate this one so far.
You'll know when you find the right cat or cats. I think it's a great idea to get two so they keep each other company. I've always had at least two.

Jason607

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing that story. I really liked it! It seems as if you have a knack for taking difficult animals and turning them around. This is really admirable because without people like you these animals would eventually be put down due to no one adopting them. Ironically, a lot of these difficult behaviors that manifest in dogs/cats were caused by their interaction with people. So when they interact with the right person (like yourself) they can actually start to be their natural loving self's over time.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Jason,

I am so very sorry about your daughter Mew Mew. She sounds so very special.
I lost my Kirsten, (she is my avatar pic) last October and I am still grieving.
She was 17.

You and your wife are lovely people and Mew Mew was very lucky to have you
as parents.

Hugs,

Mia

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a beautiful girl she was! You gave her a life that most cats would special order if that were possible for them. And she, in return, gave unstinting, unending love back to you. Reading the story of her start in life made me weep, but only a little, because that difficult start brought her to you. And, OH, how well that worked! The goodbye was so heartbreaking, but...the only way to protect yourself from pain like that is to also protect yourself from joy.

Wishing healing for your sore, breaking hearts, Dear Friends.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your nice compliments Jason. I love taking in animals and especially helping and bonding with ones who really need a chance and won't easily get one. I guess I have a lot of experience with various animals and am stuborn and determined enough to never give up on them, and I hate seeing how damaged and afraid or aggressive they can become from people's abuse or lack of knowledge. It's so rewarding to have their trust and love and feel like I really helped them. But anyone can do it with patience, love and really being consistent. Treats help a lot too!

Many "aggressive" dogs, and cats and horses, aren't truly aggressive but were made afraid of abuse by people or just taught not to play or interact properly with humans when they were young and small, and may have learned early to intimidate their humans which escalates over time.
It's not cute when that adorable tiny little kitten or puppy bites your hands or feet or attacks you or growls and chases you away from its food dish. At 2 or 3 pounds it's cute and funny but not when they're 100 pounds and can knock you down. Or worse when it's a full grown 1200 pound horse who learned it's ok to rear and charge you at full speed and bite and kick because that was a cute trick as a newborn 50 pound foal. That's how people damage animals, or by frightening them.
But it's helpful to read about other people who had such strong bonds with their beloved cats and also would do anything for them as I did and still do, and ways of dealing with the heartbreaking decisions that arrive way too soon with pets. My cats still seem depressed and won't play or do anything but are eating and drinking. The younger one is still sneezing but not as much. The other one has sneezed once or twice.
I need to get the younger one vaccinations and allergy shots but I'm afraid to stress him out any more. But he gets awful red raw patches because he's allergic to everything. They're better now but only because he got a long acting steroid shot 2 weeks before inky died which I don't want to do again since that supresses his immune system. At least the dog's finally playing a bit with his buddies at the park again. I feel worse that my cats are grieving and depressed than myself. I know I'll get through it but they've also lost 6 of their siblings in the past 2 years and have had a lot of stress, and they can't talk about it.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you've lost your girl Mew Mew. For those of us who love them with all our heart this is such a painful time. Nothing can remove the love though. Mew mew would want you to care for other cats when you are ready. It's ok to need to wait to get cats, it's ok to run out and adopt a few, the key being there are no rules. Do everything when you feel it's right. If you're in the United States Etsy had some custom kitty tribute plaques and cement kitties with wings. Do what you feel is right. I know things are tough. When I put my boy to sleep I cried so much but he is no longer suffering. Mew Mew will always be with you.

Last edited:

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about your little girl it happened to me about 9 year ago blood started to come out of my cat's mouth I took her to the vets they said she had a lump in her mouth they said it looks like cancer but they can't be certain till they have a closer look they sedated him and they took a tooth out which was by the lump in her mouth then when I collected her they confirmed it was cancer and said she has got about a month to live they had given her a pain killer to last about a month and said when it gets to uncomfortable for her to get back intouch with them we took photos of her .
But unfortunately after 2 week she started to have blood coming from her nose so we phoned the vet and arranged for them to come to the house to put her to sleep I still miss her
Not long after I got myself a little kitten which now is a 9 year old who I love has much as my little girl
I have got her ashes on my display unit which I talk to

Jason607

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm truly sorry for your loss. I can imagine that its painful even after 9 years. We have our baby's ashes on display as well. We took plenty of pictures, videos and I'm even writing her biography to keep her alive in our hearts. My wife told me she is ready to look for new kittens to adopt. So we will be adopting very soon. Mew Mew can never be replaced in our hearts. However, having new cats in our lives will give us a new sense of purpose and lessen the lingering sadness that's ever so present in our house.

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are thinking of getting another kitten it helped me and my brother a lot they give you so much pleasure you will never forget your little girl like I don't my little girl she was 17 when she went