Oops...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her temp has dropped from 38 yesterday to 37.6 today.

The kittens look like they have finally started to make their way to the back, and her nipples look like they are starting to fill with milk.

Judging by her temp we should have kittens in the very near future, but she hasn't really started showing any other signs like nesting, or becoming restless or eating less (or more) than she has been. She is as chill as she always is lol

I swear I have spent over a year reading up on breeding and cat birth and talking to experienced people about what to expect and what to do ect. That I figured I would feel like I had at least some idea of what I am doing... But turns out I don't!

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Tula gave birth to 6 kittens... two were stillborn, two only lived for a few minutes, I did every thing I possibly could to bring them back. The 5th one seemed strong and fine when I went to sleep at 3 am, I checked on them at 4:30 every one seemed fine but when I checked again at 7:15 the kitten was dead :bawling:

I am so heartbroken.

Is it common to lose almost a whole litter like that? I thought maybe one or two, but 5?

# 1 took a while coming out, like I was borderline going to rush her to the vet. Then 2, 3, 4, 5 came out VERY close together. # 6 (whom I have decided to call lucky) is the only one left...

She keeps moving the healthy kitten back to our bed (which unfortunately is where she gave birth).

I don't know... really really sad...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry. :sniffle: How heart-breaking. :hugs:

I'm sure the kitten advisers will be on to give their assistance, but one thing I know they'll suggest is weighing the kitten every day to ensure it is gaining weight. And to be prepared to jump in and assist with syringe feeding it, if necessary.

Sending vibes that everything goes will with Lucky. :catrub:

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I know the picture is graphic, but is that the kittens intestines? Two were born like this... they had their umbilical cord and then another cord with brown stuff coming out. They were born alive but didn't live for long...

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they were born with their intestines outside. Impossible to survive that.

It's difficult to say what caused the stillbirths and the intestinal deformity. They may have been too crowded or had heart defects.

I'm so sorry for your losses. It's a miracle you have Lucky!

How is mama doing?

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She ate some wet food this AM. Although she hasn't touched the dry food.

I also haven't witnessed her using the bathroom yet, but she might have done when I left the room.

She is sleeping now with the kitten. She has decided that she and the kitten need to be under in my duvet. My house isn't cold and I did have the heating pad on but she keeps moving the kitten off the heating pad and under the blanket so I have just left them like that

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds good! If she ate all the placentas she may not be very hungry yet. If she cleared her bowels before giving birth she may not use the litter box right away either.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She keeps carrying the kitten around... Like at 4:00 this morning I can hear her meowing REALLY loudly. I half sit up in bed to see where she is, next thing I know she's dropping the kitten on my chest.

She brought the kitten to my hubby when he was in the shower this AM as well. Just dropped the poor little thing in the middle of the floor mat and meowed loudly until he called me to come get it.

I'm paranoid that she's going to drop it in my bed while I am sleeping and I will roll onto it..

Kitten has gained 4 g since like 3 yesterday afternoon.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cleared everything out of my closet, hung a blanket on the shelf and placed a laundry basket with towels and such in it. Tula hasn't tried to move Lucky since, so I think I may have found the spot.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Make sure you cover the holes in the side of the basket. You don’t want to risk his head getting stuck. I think a more confined area will help mom feel secure.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Look at that little peanut head! How much does Lucky weigh today?

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Holes are covered ;)

Lucky is a whopping 106g as of half an hour ago. He was 99g when I weighed him yesterday. I was afraid to touch him after he was born to weigh him given every thing that went on, but he has gained weight since yesterday so that is good.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lucky is 120g this AM, mom has been keeping him in the basket in the closet for the most part...

Other than her 4 AM (it's literally been 3 nights in a row, 4 AM on the dot) wake up calls in which she bring the kitten and drops it off either on my chest or in my boyfriend's arm pit. Then she goes and lays at the bottom of our bed. A little while later she will come back pick the kitten up again and bring it back to the basket for feeding.

Kind of weird..

Lucky seems strong, trying to stand up on his front legs and such which makes me happy.