Oops...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll want to have a 1 or 2mL syringe on hand. Sometimes newborns need supplementing because they are too weak to suckle. In that case you need to use a syringe. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No because my vet said that the high quality kitten food I have her on should be enough.
I tried KMR for her a while ago but she wouldn't drink it.

Why is yogurt okay but plain cows milk isn't? I know my oldest cat will lick the bowl clean with Greek yogurt but I don't let him because I don't want him having diarrhea.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can’t digest lactose. Yogurt and some cheese don’t have as much lactose

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was fine until this morning. I noticed yesterday that she was overly affectionate, trying to lay on my face while I was sleeping. I heard her scratching in her litter pan a lot this AM, when I woke up she hopped out purring away.

I went to get my kids up for school when my hubby called down saying that she was bleeding. It's not a ton, but it's more than a few drops.. I didn't notice any mucous or bloody show but maybe it came out in the litter pan?

I called the 24 hour vet (the closest one is 45 min away from me). They said as long as she doesn't seem distressed, leave her and keep checking every 1/2 hour or so and call my vet when they open.

She was a little restless for a bit (hubby said she was panting for a min but hasn't done it since), she doesn't look distressed. She will lay down for a while and then get up and stroll around the room. She won't stay in the birthing pen.

I am terrified to leave her alone! So I am sitting here in the dark. She keeps trying to groom herself but she is too big that she can't reach.

She ate some dry food and about half a can of wet this AM.

I will let you guys know what happens after we see our vet

Attachments

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So took her to my vet, they checked her. Her temp is 38.3. The vet said that she is in labour, and if she doesn't start to have kittens 12 hours from when the blood started (which would he about 7 pm tonight) that I need to take her to the emergency vet 45 min away to check the viability of the kittens.

She ate another half a can of wet food, and is just chilling out on my bed.. I keep checking on her and she seems fine.

I don't know if it seemed like more blood than normal because she is unable to reach to clean herself.. when our dog had puppies I don't remember much blood until she was actually producing puppies, but then again she was able to reach to clean herself.

Fingers crossed she starts producing kittens soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is she doing now? It does not sound like an emergency yet based on your last post.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's fine, she just had some dry food and is now laying on my bed having a snooze.

I can see the kittens moving in her belly. But it doesn't seem like she is having any contractions or any thing.

The only time I have seen her in distress was when the vet stuck her finger in her lady bits.

I have put off taking her to the emergency clinic at 7 and have been monitoring her closely.

I don't want to stress her out having to cart her 45 minutes away, especially when she is comfortable, but I also don't want to wait too long and then some thing happens?

Could the stress of the vet visit stopped her labour? There has not been any more bleeding since this AM and even then she was calm...

Should I take her any way or wait and see what happens? And if so how long should I wait?

Not really sure what to do!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should wait. Early bleeding that stops does not ring alarm bells for me, especially if the bleeding has stopped.

Pinkish discharge or scant blood is normal during pre-labor. She sounds fine to me now. It could even be a few more days.

Just watch her and keep us posted.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I am glad that you agree that I should wait.

Unfortunately the vet I had today (the only one on at the time in the clinic) I don't think has much experience with pregnant cats.

I was hoping to get more insight from some one that does have experience.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 could you answer me a question. As you know, I know nothing about pregnant cats, but I've seen the same scenario posted.
My question: When a mare is due to foal, and the foal is kicking, then the mare is not quite ready to foal.
Is this the same in cats? or do they continue to move up until birth?

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday morning when the bleeding occurred I couldn't see any fetal movement (actually couldn't see any until last evening), which freaked me out. I have read about spontaneous abortion, and thought maybe that is what had happened. All the crap I read online said that there shouldn't be any bleeding before hand which is why I panicked.

I literally cried when I saw the movement in her stomach last night, I thought all the kittens had died.

There still isn't any kittens, I woke up every hour to check on her. She was scratching around in the litter box at about 6:30 and I heard her munch on some dry food before that. She just gobbled up some wet food as well. The only time She meows or makes any kind of noise is when I leave the room.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still no kittens. She has been eating well, using the litter pan (I noticed that she is having loose bowel movements, not diarrhea but not solid either).

She was scratching around in our bed a little last night, and hiding under the covers. I have 3 different "hiding" spots set up in our bedroom/bathroom. But other than that she has been pretty chill and mostly sleeping.

I didn't notice as much fetal movement last night, I am hoping she has them soon because I have been a nervous wreck since Monday!

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I want to thank you for all of your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and share your knowledge with me. I am pretty sure I would have lost my mind already with worry if you didn't take the time to help.

Thank you!!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I want to thank you for all of your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and share your knowledge with me. I am pretty sure I would have lost my mind already with worry if you didn't take the time to help.

Thank you!!
:yeah:

I totally agree. Although I have experience with kittens (specifically abandoned) it's been a long time. I would've lost my mind with these two without you Sarthur2 Sarthur2 .