Ongoing issues with new kitten and older cat

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like he's taking kitten steps to becoming more inquisitive and brave. He's young, and he'll get there, and before long I suspect you and he will be best buddies. Thanks for being patient with him. He's lucky to have you as his new human. :petcat:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Time is your friend! My cat, about a year old at the time, hid for 2 months. When I brought her home and opened the carrier she bolted behind a piece of furniture. I put a litter box and feeding area in that room. I talked to her when I was in there. She started coming out at night to eat and pee, all of which was normal, it was just done by a cat I never saw. I didn't try to coax her to do anything, I let her set the time table. Eventually she would come out after I had been sitting in the room for awhile and make a few passes before returning to her den. After about the two months she would act pretty normal in that room, I could pet her, she would sit by me, but she wouldn't leave the room. By about a month later she was leaving the room at night and then during the day. ANOTHER month or so she tried going downstairs. She is still, now she's 8, not a super brave cat. But she is good with me and she's an excellent mouser and snake wrangler. She will not come downstairs when there is company and she probably never will, I suspect. She hides from anybody she doesn't know. Otherwise she is a great cat. She doesn't like going to the vet, but she doesn't act up. She is not happy being picked up, so I limit that to a need-to basis. She can even be bratty and demanding when the spirit moves her. I think your kitten will be fine, just time and letting him take as long as he needs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I wrote in a few weeks ago about my new 10-month-old Siamese mix kitten, Pippin. He was rehomed to me in early August because his previous owner could no longer care for him. He wasn't eating/drinking/using his litterbox for 3 days, but has since made huge strides! He's very skittish and is not food or play motivated currently. He's only coming out at night or when he knows I'm away from my apartment to explore, but he's made leaps and bounds with his exploring and feeling comfortable with my apartment! He got up to the point where he was comfortable approaching me at about a distance of 4-5 feet away only in the evenings when I've been laying on my bed and we were able to do a little bit of play and slow blink back and forth at each other.

However, in the past week, a new occurrence appeared. Pippin has begun crying in the middle of the night from boredom/loneliness-- his previous owner told me he's very high energy, but since he's still pretty scared of me he's too scared to play and get all his energy out. He's been crying in the middle of the night for someone to play with and has been solo-playing with his toys, but since he's only 10 months old I knew a playmate would likely be his best option, and is what the vet recommended as well. So two days ago I brought home an adorable 4.5-month-old tortie kitten named Arwen, and when I say she is a BUNDLE of energy, boy do I mean it! I've raised kittens before but both of the kittens I raised years and years ago were nowhere near the energy level that Arwen has. She seemingly never tires of playing, and her biggest fixation right now is trying to bother the crap out of her brother, who currently wants nothing to do with her, understandably, and I knew it was going to take some time since Pippin is already so skittish. I know he'll appreciate having a playmate eventually, but currently he's not having it.

I live in a studio apartment with one main room and then my bathroom, which was Pippin's original safe room when I brought him home. He still mostly hangs out in there during the day, but is very comfortable with other areas of my apartment by this point. As such, I bought a large mesh playpen for Arwen to be able to keep her and Pippin separated when I'm not at home to supervise them. The first day I had Arwen this wasn't an issue, but yesterday she discovered that Pippin exists and she is doing everything she can to try and get him to play with her. Yesterday Pippin was busy hiding in bookcase behind some clothes, and I'd be playing with Arwen on the other side of the room and all of the sudden she'd BOLT over to the bookcase quicker than the blink of an eye and she'd jump up to his shelf and try and play with him. Understandably, he'd hiss at her every time and I'd have to run over and snatch her up and try to redirect her attention to playing with toys. I think she thinks it's a game now, because all I have to do is turn away for literally 5 seconds and she's racing back to the bookshelf to bug her brother again. Pippin is hissing and growling at her each time. I've been doing my best to scent swap with them, but mostly for Pippin's sake, since Arwen is already acting like she owns the place and has zero issue with Pippin's presence in all of 2 days!

When I'm at work, I let Pippin have run of the apartment and Arwen gets to stay in her spacious playpen with her gazillions of toys, food and litterbox, and a hideyhole/bed for her to nap in. She's totally set up in there, but she doesn't like being confined nonetheless and it makes me feel so, so guilty! I know it's for her and Pippin's safety to physically separate them right now when I can't be there to supervise their interactions, but Arwen is SUCH a bundle of energy that I'm worried she'll become depressed or something! I brought her home in hopes that they'd become friends (and I do understand completely that they likely weren't going to be BFFs right away) and to keep either of them from suffering from single kitten syndrome, but at the rate it's going and with how I'm having to physically separate the two when I can't be present, I'm worried about Arwen suffering from loneliness since Pippin currently wants nothing to do with her. He does still frequently explore around her playpen at night when she's fast asleep and securely in her playpen, but during the day he hides from her and won't come out until night.

Is there something better I can be doing for both of them, or do I just keep doing what I'm doing and give it time?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just let them be together full time and they will work it out. Friendship guarrantied within a week or so at the max, and likely sooner. They wont fight for real, so there is no risk and having them together 24/7 will just speed things up. Two kittens this young is foolproof -- there is nothing you can do to mess things up. They will be friends and play together.

Personally, I'd never get two in a studio again. Did it 30 years ago, and, well, there are some challenges. Nothing serious, but your sleep and uninterrupted work/study time may suffer a bit. But they will be friends, and the skittish one will likely bond with you sooner or later. Just be patient and dont rush/be grabby -- sounds like you know that already and are doing fine.

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just let them be together full time and they will work it out. Friendship guarrantied within a week or so at the max, and likely sooner. They wont fight for real, so there is no risk and having them together 24/7 will just speed things up. Two kittens this young is foolproof -- there is nothing you can do to mess things up. They will be friends and play together.

Personally, I'd never get two in a studio again. Did it 30 years ago, and, well, there are some challenges. Nothing serious, but your sleep and uninterrupted work/study time may suffer a bit. But they will be friends, and the skittish one will likely bond with you sooner or later. Just be patient and dont rush/be grabby -- sounds like you know that already and are doing fine.
Oh boy hahaha I am definitely prepared for it to be tight quarters for my own personal space, but luckily I sleep like a sack of rocks and otherwise they're both high energy cats so I'm pretty positive they'll be able to keep each other entertained. Thank you kindly for the advice!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add something important, sorry! Once the switch flips and the 10 month old starts to play -- its kind of scary to watch a near adult size cat play very vigorously with a younger kitten. Scary looking but not actually scary if you've seen it before or know whats normal. Its normal that the smaller kitten will be made uncomfortable at times, make protest noises and run away. You'll likely get this once the 10 month old gets comfortable with the kitten. The smaller kitten will remain comfortable with the 10 month old when rough play is not happening, and even if the smaller kitten runs away in the moment, they will come out in a few minutes and act like nothing happened. Often, they will even initiate play at times. Thats how you know everything is fine.

With an older cat, often they moderate their play for a kitten, and it can be more mutual at the start. But 1 year olds (or 10 month olds) . . . its the age of stupid enthusiasm. They are adult size, but have kitten brains. They generally dont moderate their play. So you get what I described above. But its normal, and will improve with time.

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've written here a few times about my new kittens, but I'm currently having a new issue with my 4.5, almost 5-month old kitten. I adopted her (Arwen) this past weekend to be a companion for my 10-month old kitten, but my older kitten (Pippin) is scared of her and wants nothing to do with her right now. I live in a studio so when I'm away from home, I have a spacious playpen for her to play in. It has a hidey hole and bed, her litterbox, water, and a gazillion toys--everything from little stuffed animals, to balls for her to bat around, to interactive toys that have motion sensors and will activate when she's nearby. Problem is, when I'm away from home I HAVE to keep her in the playpen because Pippin is not used to her yet and hisses and growls at her. I've only had her for a night and 4 days, so I've been trying to scent swap but it's much too early for my very skittish older kitten to accept her.

When I'm away at work, I come to visit her on my lunch hour and play with her, give her attention, etc. (I live 5 minutes away from work, so this is very easy for me), but I feel absolutely awful because she's so energetic and hyper that no matter how much I play with her during lunch, and give her attention for hours and hours when I come home, she never tires. Today when I was leaving home to go back to work after my lunch break I was putting her back into her playpen to keep her safe from my other kitten and she was crying bloody murder and clawing at the playpen and it absolutely broke my heart! The entire reason I got another kitten is so that they could play with each other and enjoy each other's company but I'm terrified that Arwen is going to end up with separation anxiety at this point since Pippin hates her and she screams when I leave each day. PLEASE help, I have no idea what to do! I've raised kittens before but I've never, ever encountered a situation like this and I'm exhausted. The kittens I had before were more docile and not as needy as Arwen is and I really just need advice on how to proceed from here. Am I going to permanently damage Arwen and give her separation anxiety because my other kitten refuses to play with her and accept her? I was trying to help my older kitten, who was displaying some loneliness and the vet recommended getting him another kitten to play with, but I'm worried that this whole thing has completely backfired because Pippin does not want anything to do with Arwen and she's getting more and more restless for a playmate!

I hope this doesn't sound like I hate either of my kittens. I love each of them individually, and when I'm home in the evenings and on the weekends I can spend hours and hours with them and everything is fine! But it's the weekdays when I have to work that Arwen can't tolerate my being gone while Pippin refuses to acknowledge her.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have specific recommendations for such a young kitten. I dealt with separation anxiety with my adult cat, Willy, over the years, but mostly fixed it by adding environmental stimulation while I'm gone, like you are already trying.

However, I just wanted to say that you've only had Arwen for 4 days, which is much too soon to make any conclusions about lasting behavior or developmental problems. If there's anything I've learned from frequenting this forum, it's that cats take time and patience. You have plenty of time to forge a great relationship with Arwen and bring her into your family with Pippin.

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have specific recommendations for such a young kitten. I dealt with separation anxiety with my adult cat, Willy, over the years, but mostly fixed it by adding environmental stimulation while I'm gone, like you are already trying.

However, I just wanted to say that you've only had Arwen for 4 days, which is much too soon to make any conclusions about lasting behavior or developmental problems. If there's anything I've learned from frequenting this forum, it's that cats take time and patience. You have plenty of time to forge a great relationship with Arwen and bring her into your family with Pippin.
Thank you for the kind words! I'm just such an anxious person by nature and hearing Arwen crying and crying when I leave breaks my heart, since I know that you're almost always supposed to get kittens in pairs due to things like separation anxiety and single kitten syndrome. It's a weird line to walk because she does have Pippin there so she's not an only kitten, it's just that he's still scared of her and so it probably feels to her like she's all alone when I'm gone, especially since I'm having to keep them separate. I plan on getting a pet gate this afternoon to let them see each other but not touch each other, so that I can start to let Arwen roam around at her leisure at night instead of being in her playpen. She currently has to be in there at night because she's been attempting to annoy the ever-loving hell out of Pippin and doesn't understand him telling her no by hissing and growling and I'm worried that things will escalate into a fight if I leave them unsupervised at night or when I'm not at home.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just such an anxious person by nature and hearing Arwen crying and crying when I leave breaks my heart
I totally get it, and I know the feeling.

Try to keep in mind that you're not actually harming her in any way, and she's still just a young, emotional, needy (i.e., normal) kitten. Part of her development will include learning her new life routine, and that you will be gone during weekdays on a regular basis. She may not like it now, but she's going to have to get used to it eventually.

On that note, try to keep the timing of your routine as consistent as possible. So like if you come home to visit during your lunch break, try to do it at the same time every day.

It will help once Pippin becomes more accepting of her, which is a situation that you still have lots of time to work on. Remember that it's only been a few days.

It's definitely a good sign that when you are home with both cats, everything is fine. To me, that strongly indicates Pippin will eventually get used to seeing Arwen as a permanent part of the family.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First I want to say you are doing what you can with the space you have, you are keeping both parties safe, you are not hurting Arwen. You have only had her for such a short amount of time. It will take some time for her and Pippin to become accustomed to each other.. cmshap cmshap pointed out a lot of good points
Here are some ideas for slow feeder puzzles you can put kibble in them and put them in her play pen along with a snuffle mat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SVVTD2G/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BN37ZYB5/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYXM7BP1/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFKDJF8/?tag=thecatsite

As for play and wearing her out ill attach a link to another threat it has videos of Jackson galaxys boil and simmer technique I use this with my kitty and I promise by the end of her play session she is tired. There is a video of my kitty in the post you don't have to watch it as it is a long video about 10 minutes of her playing in slow motion. I added her video just to show I was able to get a cat who really didn't play often to go crazy playing and loving it. Also in her video it only shows the boil part because I pasted like 6 videos together. Leaving out the part where she was "simmering" because I had just wanted a video of her playing in slow motion and it is an amazing video I have of her.

I hope these things will help.
I'm thinking if you put a snuffle matt and one of the feeder toys in the playpen for her to play with and get little pieces of kibble here and there it will keep her occupied.

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First I want to say you are doing what you can with the space you have, you are keeping both parties safe, you are not hurting Arwen. You have only had her for such a short amount of time. It will take some time for her and Pippin to become accustomed to each other.. cmshap cmshap pointed out a lot of good points
Here are some ideas for slow feeder puzzles you can put kibble in them and put them in her play pen along with a snuffle mat.

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

As for play and wearing her out ill attach a link to another threat it has videos of Jackson galaxys boil and simmer technique I use this with my kitty and I promise by the end of her play session she is tired. There is a video of my kitty in the post you don't have to watch it as it is a long video about 10 minutes of her playing in slow motion. I added her video just to show I was able to get a cat who really didn't play often to go crazy playing and loving it. Also in her video it only shows the boil part because I pasted like 6 videos together. Leaving out the part where she was "simmering" because I had just wanted a video of her playing in slow motion and it is an amazing video I have of her.

[/URL]

I hope these things will help.
I'm thinking if you put a snuffle matt and one of the feeder toys in the playpen for her to play with and get little pieces of kibble here and there it will keep her occupied.
Thank you for the advice and the links as well! I just ordered two of the puzzle feeder toys for her and I'll see which one she likes better. She's quite literally the most energetic kitten I've ever encountered--we can play together for 10-15 minutes, she'll act as if she's tired and done because she'll wander away to explore or check somethin else out, and then she'll walk around meowing her little head off! It's evident she wants something, but we've just had a full play session and she'll indicate she's done playing, only to either have changed her mind a minute later, or she wants something else but I can't figure out what lol. I'm imagining she just wants attention, but when I came home from work yesterday I don't think I got a single 10 minutes to myself until I went to bed because as soon as we'd finish playing she'd be walking around meowing constantly. I obviously am very prepared to pay a lot of attention to her, but I'd like at least a 10-15 minute breather for myself and she doesn't want me to😅 Hopefully in addition to her crying when I leave, they also help her entertain herself while I catch my breath from giving her constant attention! Man, kittens are a lot of work!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice and the links as well! I just ordered two of the puzzle feeder toys for her and I'll see which one she likes better. She's quite literally the most energetic kitten I've ever encountered--we can play together for 10-15 minutes, she'll act as if she's tired and done because she'll wander away to explore or check somethin else out, and then she'll walk around meowing her little head off! It's evident she wants something, but we've just had a full play session and she'll indicate she's done playing, only to either have changed her mind a minute later, or she wants something else but I can't figure out what lol. I'm imagining she just wants attention, but when I came home from work yesterday I don't think I got a single 10 minutes to myself until I went to bed because as soon as we'd finish playing she'd be walking around meowing constantly. I obviously am very prepared to pay a lot of attention to her, but I'd like at least a 10-15 minute breather for myself and she doesn't want me to😅 Hopefully in addition to her crying when I leave, they also help her entertain herself while I catch my breath from giving her constant attention! Man, kittens are a lot of work!
I'm assuming you have plenty of toys including the wand toys?
If so some kitties take a while to wear down with the boil and simmer trchnique especially healthy full of energy wanting all your attention kittens (lol 😺❤) if you can play with her with a wand toy, let her catch it and "kill" it every once in a while follow her if she has it in her mouth trying to walk with it this is her taking her "kill" when she drops it go again keep doing this until she seems "done" she isn't done just needs a break this is the simmer stage when she seems like she wants your attention usually within a couple minutes go again doing it all over again like a new play round. Each time you should notice her play time is decreasing until at last you are playing with her and she is just laying there like no I'm done I can't do it anymore this is when they are truly done. It took me a while to find when Gabby was truly done and tired.. she would act like it but nah she still wanted to play for a while.

I would do these play sessions especially before meals if possible so after it would be the perfect time to feed her then she should wanna go to sleep after..

I think if you find her true done playing stage you will be golden.. she may want to take a 5 to 10 minute break but that is her not truly done.. it took me a little bit to get it down for my girl but when I did it worked wonders.

I know how it is when you're just wanting that time for yourself after working all day especially.. but hey at least you know you have little kitties who love you.

I hope this and the feeder toys will help please keep us posted and we would love to see pictures of Arwen and Pippin if I'm not mistaken some of them are a multi pack maybe?? It was so they could both have one since Arwen is in a playpen and Pippin is out. At any rate I am hopeful everything will work out. Please keep us posted. You got this

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how it is when you're just wanting that time for yourself after working all day especially.. but hey at least you know you have little kitties who love you.
Exactly. And you miss the attention more after it has stopped.

Willy was always an extremely loving, needy, attention-starved cat since I rescued him 9 years ago. He got on my nerves frequently in the past... I always loved him and gave him lots of attention, but he always wanted MORE.

After nonstop playing and petting for over an hour, I would be ready to sit down and watch a TV show or something, and he would still be climbing all over my lap, bunting me, trilling in my face, etc. I would get annoyed. I was fine with him being in my lap, but I just wanted him to sit still.

He's mellowed out a lot since he's gotten older, and naps on his own much of the time, now. I love him the way he is, but I sometimes miss that youthful energetic attention-seeking behavior. As I described in another thread, I think it was exactly this demeanor that got me through some difficult times... he constantly reminded me that he loved me and needed me, and being needed like that was beneficial at certain times in my life.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cmshap cmshap Willy absolutely loves and adores you. I think most people on this site are so lucky... we have kitties who love us to pieces and we love and adore them just as much if not more back. I have unfortunately seen people with kitties or doggies or whatever kind of pet and they honestly don't deserve to have them.. they don't take them to the vet when needed.. it is different if you are trying everything to get your babies seen and just don't have the funds.. but flat put declining to take them is neglectful. Then they don't do their part with spay/neuter, just leave them outside all the time even in the freezing cold or extreme heat. Where they want to go inside but "not allowed" to be inside.. why the heck do people like that get pets?!... it breaks my heart. I wish I had an abandoned building so I could adopt and rescue a bunch of doggies and kitties. They deserve a warm or cool place (depending on the weather outside and they want to be inside)

Gabby is just about 2 and she is very active. And very vocal which is how she got her name actually lol.. we brought her home and she didn't respond to her name so we decided to give her a different name but wanted her to let us know what it was. As soon as she came home she was pretty laid back sleeping with us playing and talking. By day 3 we realized she really has the gift of gab lol.. so Gabby it became.

There are times where it's like ok baby I have a migraine or just don't feel well but she still wants to be all up on and in my face meowing trying to tell me to get up and give her attention lol
That's about the only time I don't like it because I literally don't feel well.. other than that I can get her worn down whenever she wants to play then she sleeps on me or next to me. I love her so much.

Our kitties are our world. And like you said you miss how Willy used to be when he was younger. I know I will also miss it as she gets older and when she starts to slow down. It will suck but I will always know she has been having a great life and has been there for me as I have been there for her. Just as it is for you and Willy. He is lucky to have you just as you are lucky to have him. The love is true and undeniable. Continue to enjoy him as he continues enjoying you. You have a great little kitty who has been there for you through a lot. He truly is special.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heatherwillard0614 heatherwillard0614 , can you believe that before I got Willy, I was one of those ignorant people who believed the old stereotype, "cats don't make affectionate pets"?

I only ever had dogs before Willy, so I had no idea. But I still don't understand where this stereotype comes from, because every other domestic cat I've met in other cat owners' households, since joining the cat world, shows obvious affection in some way.

Maybe because there are so many ferals out there in the world, many of which cannot be touched or approached, that all cats are blanketed in.

I'd hate to think that some cats are losing out on their chances of adoption because of this stereotype. Like I personally wouldn't have chosen to adopt a cat before Willy happened to come into my life. Now, I know that after he passes, I am definitely adopting another cat.

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've written here before about them, so this is kind of an update and an additional question about the ongoing process of introducing my 10-month-old Siamese mix, Pippin, to my 4.5-month-old tortie, Arwen. Long story short to catch you guys up (additional details are in previous threads I've made if anyone wants to know how the process has been going thus far), I got Pippin in the beginning of August. He's very shy and timid, but his previous owner said he was playful and energetic so I think he's just initially scared of his new human and environment and will hopefully resume being energetic once he's comfortable. I got him another kitten, Arwen, about a week ago now because he was crying in the middle of the night to play but obviously I'm sleeping at that time so the vet recommended a playmate.

Well, a week later, and Pippin is still hiding from the new kitten. I've tried my best to do scent swapping and just let him chill out and hide because he seems really scared and unnerved by Arwen and he's already such a skittish little guy so I'm doing my best to let him relax. Arwen will not leave him alone though, and it's hard to keep them physically separated since I live in a studio apartment.
Currently, Pippin hides on a shelf about mid-way up on my open armoire behind a rack of clothes, but Arwen can easily get to him there and I'm always having to drag her (not literally, but you know what I mean lol) away from there because either she's just overly eager to meet/play with her brother or she thinks it's a game to keep annoying him because she knows I'll run over to come snatch her up and bring her back to the other side of the room.

Bedtime is where I feel the most guilty. Arwen has a playpen full of things for her--litterbox, hidey hole bed, toys, water, etc. but she hates being confined in there at night. But if I let her out, she'll go bother Pippin and he hisses and growls at her and she can't take a hint. Pippin is still not comfortable with me and won't let me touch him so I can't make him go somewhere else that she can't reach. By chance, he wandered into the bathroom last night, his original safe room when I brought him home, so since my younger kitten has been cooped up in her playpen at night to prevent her from accessing her brother, I decided to flip the script a little and contain my older guy in the bathroom so that she could have run of my apartment for the night. I was trying to do that little trade off because I felt guilty for constantly giving him run of my apartment and keeping her confined (for her own safety, but still), so I decided one night of swapping them couldn't hurt, especially since the bathroom was the first room Pippin was in when he came home and he's very comfortable in there and often retreats there when he's scared.

Well, about 30 minutes after going to bed and ensuring the bathroom door was closed, Pippin started yowling and I felt awful. He's more skittish and takes more time to get used to everything and I was worried that forcing him to stay in there against his will when he normally has run of my apartment was going to cause all my progress I had made with him to vanish into thin air, so at the last minute I switched back and let him back out and put Arwen back in her playpen. For once she didn't protest (usually she cries and cries when I put her in her playpen for 10-15 minutes before finally settling down to sleep) and Pippin resumed his nightly exploration of my apartment.

Arwen often likes to sleep on a specific shelf on the cat tree and was napping there before I moved her to her playpen, and I noticed on my cat camera that Pippin--once I let him back out of the bathroom--was sniffing it and sitting on that shelf multiple times in the middle of the night. I assume he smells Arwen's scent on it and that's why, but is that a good thing that he's checking it out even though he still hates her? Or is he trying to "reclaim" that shelf for himself maybe? I was just surprised to see him checking it out since he's still terrified of her and curious as to whether this is a good sign that he's slowly becoming more comfortable or if it's more him trying to reclaim "his" territory. He never used that cat tree much before and only seemed to become interested in it once Arwen started using it.

Bedtime has just become a constant struggle because if I contain Pippin, he yowls, and if I contain Arwen, she cries and cries. It's like if I try to make one of them happy, the other becomes woeful and so loud that I'm afraid my neighbors will hear all the ruckus! How on earth do I keep them both happy when at least one of them has to be contained until they're comfortable with each other?

momof5furbabies!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry that you are experiencing this. My advice is very, very limited as I haven't had this experience. I'm using the Feliway diffuser and it has definitely helped my resident cat. Best wishes!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just haven't heard of a 10 month old not getting over it eventually and befriending a kitten. I feel pretty strongly that full exposure is going to be the fastest way forward. Yes, it may add to the stress for a short period, but it will speed things towards friendship, and the sooner you get there, the better. Just let the kitten roam, and time and nature will work its magic.

This doesn't mean you cant give the older cat a short break now and then, some alone time with the kitten confined in the bathroom or somewhere. But I wouldn't isolate them at night, thats too long and will make the kitten crazy over-eager in the morning.

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again everyone! I have a medial question about Pippin, my older kitten. Overnight I noticed he'd thrown up a food-covered hairball--I wasn't sure what he'd thrown up until I went to investigate and it was a hairball covered in mostly whole pieces of Churu bites that I'd bought the other day and gave to him for the first time. He threw up a hairball covered in mostly whole pieces so I think he didn't digest them properly. But afterwards, he went on to throw up two more times, once a clearish liquid and the second looked more like liquidy Churu bites (no whole pieces, but it was the same color as the treats, just liquid). I thought maybe he was having some indigestion, and I also noticed that he was scratching a pile of clothes like he would the litter in his litterbox and then appear to lower his butt in stereotypical "pooping position", but when I went to go check afterwards there was nothing there.

He does have a vet appointment tomorrow that I scheduled a month ago just for a general checkup, but I'm wondering if I should bring this up to the vet or if this sounds like a typical instance of him eating something that disagreed with him. He was also walking around meowing at the same time, but has been very vocal in the morning lately anyways, so I didn't see it as unusual (he's also a Siamese, if that tells you anything lol). When I got him from his previous owner and obtained his vet records, he had a urinalysis done back in February of '23 that showed he may at one point have had kidney issues due to some elevated levels of things, but his previous owner said nothing about this to me when I adopted him and said he was a generally healthy cat aside from being on a wet food only diet, so I assume if there was a previous issue or concern about his kidney function it was resolved? I might just be anxious about his health--I've had him for a month now and he's had no issues with throwing up, urinary/defecating issues, etc. until now.