Ongoing issues with new kitten and older cat

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought him home 10 days ago now, he's a 10-month flamepoint siamese mix and his previous owner rehomed him to me because he's on a wet food only diet she could not afford anymore, and he was apparently too energetic and annoying for her older, mellow cat. Needless to say, I think he's perfect, but the little guy is scared out of his wits! I grew up with two medium-haired cats that my family got as kittens, so I'm very used to living with cats. I'd never adopted one of my own before though, and especially not at a bit of an older age at 10 months.

Anyways, he's scared of his new environment, and me, obviously. When I first brought him home he wouldn't get out of his carrier, and when he did, he slinked into my tiny half-bathroom and made it his safe room. I live in a studio apartment that's only 350 sq ft, so aside from the bathroom it's very hard for him to have his own safe space to adapt to his new home. Upon being in my bathroom for a few days, he went from hiding behind my toilet to hiding in my shower in between the shower curtain and liner. Problem is, this week, after trying to coax him to another hiding place via food, play, etc. I realized he wasn't interested in leaving my shower on his own and I had to gently sort of force him out once by slowly turning on the water, and when he went back, I had to take away the shower curtain + liner. I felt awful about this and tried to give him other hidey holes to be in, but he dove under my bed and then crawled into my shoe rack by my front door. I stuffed any dangerous or hard-to-reach hiding place that I could, including underneath my oven, which I caught him trying to crawl past the blockade I put in front of it in the middle of the night and, fearful for him getting stuck and as I was literally laying in bed, I had to raise my voice at him to try and get him to stop trying to go under the oven because I was scared he would get stuck.

In his head, I can only imagine he's thinking that I'm trying to purposely scare him out of all his hiding places but he seldom uses the little hidey holes I've given him. When I left for work this morning he had finally settled back in the bathroom in the lower level cubby of his cat tree that I put in there for him, but he's also still favoring my shoe rack. I put pheromone diffusers in the bathroom and out in my main living area and last night tried putting a few drops of kitty CBD oil in his dinner to see if it might help with his anxiety over his new home and new human. In general though, he's not food or play motivated and continues to hide from me. Just two nights ago, he started crying in the middle of the night shortly after the shower incident and it's breaking my heart! I didn't want to force him out of my shower, but my city is going through a large heatwave and I needed to shower, and he absolutely refused to leave by himself even when I gave him alternative hidey holes (also because the bathroom is essentially his safe room at this point). Last night I also pinned a blanket to the walls between my door and my bathroom to try and create a little barrier for more privacy for him. But after 10 days since he came home to me, he's still terrified of me, if not even more so than he originally was because I keep removing his preferred hiding places. I'm exhausted, exasperated, and feel like he hates me! Should I just leave him alone for a week or two or try and sit in the bathroom with him and just hang out/slow blink at him?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the new kitten. Sorry, though, that's he's such a nervous little guy.

I've never personally dealt with a nervous cat, so don't have any experience to draw on.

TCS, however, does have some articles that might have some tips for you:

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat - TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me - TheCatSite

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment | TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home | TheCatSite

Even though he's not an abused cat, there might be some ideas in this article.
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover | TheCatSite

You could also look into Feliway. It's pricey, and some people find it does nothing, but others have found it helpful, so it might be something to look into. You could also try calming treats. Or calming music for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the new kitten. Sorry, though, that's he's such a nervous little guy.

I've never personally dealt with a nervous cat, so don't have any experience to draw on.

TCS, however, does have some articles that might have some tips for you:

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat - TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me - TheCatSite

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment | TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home | TheCatSite

Even though he's not an abused cat, there might be some ideas in this article.
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover | TheCatSite

You could also look into Feliway. It's pricey, and some people find it does nothing, but others have found it helpful, so it might be something to look into. You could also try calming treats. Or calming music for cats.

Thank you so much for the article resources! He didn't eat, drink, or use his litterbox for 3 days after first coming home, but after he finally started, he's been doing just fine. Sometimes he doesn't finish quite all his food, sometimes he does, it seems to be on a day-by-day basis based on how anxious he's feeling. I do have pheromone diffusers both in the bathroom where he likes to feel safe and also in my main area, but after having them for about a week I so far haven't noticed any changes. I've heard they can take up to 30 days to work properly though, so I figure it can't hurt to keep them plugged in anyways. I keep soft cat music running for him day and night, and recently bought kitty CBD oil to see if it would help.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find Siamese cats are sometimes a bit challenging. I know this is not across the board by any means and plenty of outliers... but I find them to attach closely to their people, they tend to be very vocal (and often loud), and can be pretty athletic. I have a flame point right now and he is a handful. Boundaries and proper reward systems are essential. But you're doing the right stuff. Thinking of it all from his perspective is great. Give him more time. If he's eating and peeing/pooping, then that's is what's most important. Just spend some quiet time in his room - sitting to the side. Read a book, be on your phone. Have some toys and treats nearby in case he comes to see you. It just will take some time and it has to be on his terms. Once he comes around, he will be your very best friend.

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find Siamese cats are sometimes a bit challenging. I know this is not across the board by any means and plenty of outliers... but I find them to attach closely to their people, they tend to be very vocal (and often loud), and can be pretty athletic. I have a flame point right now and he is a handful. Boundaries and proper reward systems are essential. But you're doing the right stuff. Thinking of it all from his perspective is great. Give him more time. If he's eating and peeing/pooping, then that's is what's most important. Just spend some quiet time in his room - sitting to the side. Read a book, be on your phone. Have some toys and treats nearby in case he comes to see you. It just will take some time and it has to be on his terms. Once he comes around, he will be your very best friend.
Thank you for the advice! That’s part of the reason I find his fear so heartbreaking because his previous owner told me that he’s full of energy usually and said he could be “annoying”, which sounds like a similar personality to most other siamese cats as you’ve described. To see him cowering and afraid of both me and his environment is awful. I’m trying to be patient with him and let him take things at his own pace, but after the shower incident I’m scared it made him even more afraid of me and that it’ll cause him to never come around. How much time per day would you recommend spending near him? He goes back and forth between hiding in his cat tree in my bathroom and the shoe rack in my main room by my front door.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd just try to read him. If he isn't budging them give him some alone time and let him do his thing (eat/potty). Another person here had recommended calming cat music too. All sounds are new. As wild as they can be they're also sensitive. Keep the faith! It sounds like you're willing to be patient.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let him approach you.

The music you have going is helpful and the shower curtain thing won't be in the forefront of his mind going forward (if it was he'd never have gone back into the bathroom), but you have to give him the time and the space to learn the new sounds, new smells, new routines, both inside and outside your place.

Just go about your daily business, as usual, and don't focus on him. Don't look at him unless you're able to do the slow blink, since that can seem aggressive to cats. He needs time and emotional space. Sitting down and reading to him is fine, but remember, you need to relax. You have all the time in the world. He's with you, safe and secure, and has already made enormous strides by eating, using the litter box and that cat tree.

Be proud of him and happy, rather than all stressed out.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let him approach you.

The music you have going is helpful and the shower curtain thing won't be in the forefront of his mind going forward (if it was he'd never have gone back into the bathroom), but you have to give him the time and the space to learn the new sounds, new smells, new routines, both inside and outside your place.

Just go about your daily business, as usual, and don't focus on him. Don't look at him unless you're able to do the slow blink, since that can seem aggressive to cats. He needs time and emotional space. Sitting down and reading to him is fine, but remember, you need to relax. You have all the time in the world. He's with you, safe and secure, and has already made enormous strides by eating, using the litter box and that cat tree.

Be proud of him and happy, rather than all stressed out.
I'll agree with this :)
We have a boarding cattery. Cats come in and want to hide, and we give them several places to do so and let them choose between them at will. We give them their hiding spots, their food, water, and litter, and ignore them until their curiosity gets the best of them (and it does)! Cats are really little sponges. It's stressful for you to see him so upset, but like Furballsmom Furballsmom said, he's safe and secure and is coming around.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have gotten so much exceIIent advice, I wiII onIy add this...Take a DEEP breath, and reIax. He's a IittIe energy sponge, and wiII pick up your own anxiety. You are running a marathon, not a sprint. But...he's young and resiIient. He'II come around. 10 days is no time at aII, especiaIIy since his whoIe worId changed in the bIink of an eye. In fact, it has done so twice in Iess than the space of a year, once when he Ieft his mama, and once when he came to you.

Now, the thing about simpIy sitting near him and reading is one of the things I aIways recommend. It presents you in a very non-threatening way, Iow, and with your Iegs not under you. Cats pick up on those things. And it wiII get him used to hearing your voice when it is soft and caIm (Iet's not read something about WWII, with sound effects!).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just take longer than other to relax and feel safe in their new home and with their new human. I went through with Willow who was a year old when she came to live with me. The biggest part of this is just waiting out their anxiety and not approaching them or trying too hard to help calm them. Things that do work are talking to them while not looking directly at them, sitting on the floor in the room they are in but ignoring them in their hiding space, and establishing routines so that they feel their life is more predictable. Put your shower curtains back up but make a routine around your bath/shower time so the kitten knows it’s coming and had time to move elsewhere; sit near his hiding space at the same times every day. End every visit by leaving food or a treat so they associate something positive with you.

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
G gotlembas Any updates? I am sitting in bed with my flame pt boy and thought of this thread.
I decided I was getting too stressed over the situation and didn’t want to transfer that stress to him so I kind of backed off for a bit and just spent the weekend hanging out at home but otherwise just letting him hide. He’s still being extra cautious of me after the shower incident and if I make any sudden noises or he's out of his hiding place and becomes aware of me, he runs.

Saturday night he emerged while he knew I was still awake to sit on a shelf on my bookshelf across the room. I don't think he could see me very well (except for my legs haha) but I'm almost certain he knew I was awake, which is a huge accomplishment for him! Usually he only explores when he's 100% sure I'm away from my apartment or fast asleep, otherwise if he notices that I'm aware of him being out he bolts. I pretended to ignore him so he could just observe without me accidentally spooking him and just dinked around on my phone. Last night he decided to explore more near my bed since it's right in front of the window and prior to bringing him home I had installed a tension-rod cat tree in front of the window in hopes he'd like to sit there and look outside. I didn't seem him climb it, but I did hear him using the attached scratching post. He’s still pretty scared of me but it was a pretty brave moment for him! He also was meowing a little bit while he was exploring, but it didn't sound like one of his scared meows, it was softer and only about 3-4 of them before he continued exploring. And at one point, I caught him on my camera just sitting in front of my bed watching my sleep! But again, as soon as he realized I was aware of him being out, back to the shoe rack he darted.

I’m trying to just give him space at this point and am just trusting that he might be willing to approach me closer soon. Since he's only 10 months old and his previous home had another older cat, I thought he might have a lot of energy or that he might be lonely, so I got him some automatic cat toys, but I've yet to see him play with them yet. I still see him batting around some feather toys, and tried using a laser toy last night when he thought I was asleep, but he must've realized that seeing the laser moving around must have meant I was awake and he ran back to the shoe rack.

He's been making lots of little gains in exploring my apartment at night and is regularly eating/drinking/using his litterbox, grooming himself regularly and occasionally plays with one of his toys! But I'm a little disheartened that despite it all, as soon as he comes to his senses that I'm there also, he hides again. I haven't been able to lure him out in any way, shape or form--he only comes out at night or when I'm gone, and only when he wants to. I'm so proud of him for daring to explore right next to my bed where I'm sleeping at night though--that's a first for him and I only just witnessed that on the camera last night!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't forget that you do need to interact with him. Automatic toys are great, but try wand toys so the toy is farther way from you, you can drag it about, but he still correlates that toy/fun with you. Or get a ball of some type and toss it from one side of the room to the other. One day, I bet curiosity and playfulness will overhome his anxiety!
I didn't realize he had run of the house. Typically, when you bring a new baby home, it's good to keep them in a smaller space. Larger spaces can overwhelm them. That's why I had recommended sitting in the room with him. Oops! It sounds like he's starting to settle in. Keep doing gentle pushes with him. Try some treats (the smelly pate tubes are good) and try some interactive toys.

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't forget that you do need to interact with him. Automatic toys are great, but try wand toys so the toy is farther way from you, you can drag it about, but he still correlates that toy/fun with you. Or get a ball of some type and toss it from one side of the room to the other. One day, I bet curiosity and playfulness will overhome his anxiety!
I didn't realize he had run of the house. Typically, when you bring a new baby home, it's good to keep them in a smaller space. Larger spaces can overwhelm them. That's why I had recommended sitting in the room with him. Oops! It sounds like he's starting to settle in. Keep doing gentle pushes with him. Try some treats (the smelly pate tubes are good) and try some interactive toys.
Should I keep trying to play with him periodically when I'm home even if he's not showing any interest? I'll try and use his feather toy in 5-10 minute increments but I'm not sure how long to attempt to play with him in a sitting before giving up and trying again later. I think usually in his shoerack hiding spot he's turned toward the wall so that he doesn't have to look at me (hard to tell without bending down and peering between all my shoes, thus making him feel like he's in a fishbowl), but even if by chance he is watching me wave his feather toy around (I was told by his previous owner he loves feather and string toys), he continues to hide from me. Oh and the only reason he has run of my place is because I live in a 350sq ft studio apartment--other than the bathroom he unfortunately doesn't really have a separate place. I put in a few hidey holes in the bathroom like a little cat cave and I did have a second smaller cat tree with a hidey hole, but since I took away his preferred places of behind the toilet and in my shower, he now prefers hiding in the main room in the shoe rack. He does go back into the bathroom periodically because I've continued to leave his litterbox and food/water in there, but he's either badly traumatized from the shower incident and no longer sees the bathroom as safe, or he just prefers his main room hidey hole more now.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ways to play:

I love jackson galaxy and his tips and tricks really do help.
The videos are each a little long about 10 to 15 minutes but it's a lot of good advice.
I hope you can watch these and get some ideas that help with your little one.

Here is a link to another thread that has some tips as well.

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep! Just keep trying here and there throughout the day. I can almost bet that one of these times, he'll lunge or at least try to go for the toy. Have you padded the shoe rack for him? Maybe move the food/water out to another area if you think the bathroom is scary for him. Or at least the food/water. All of these things will add up to him starting to trust and like you. Leave him a treat on the edge of his hidey hole. Pretend you have a kindergarten crush, but not stalker desperation. 😄 You're doing great!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What I did with Willow when I knew she was in the room was to sit on the floor and play with her toys, bouncing, rolling, batting etc. Toys in motion are nearly irresistible to a young cat and eventually she forgot to be afraid and came closer.

gotlembas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep! Just keep trying here and there throughout the day. I can almost bet that one of these times, he'll lunge or at least try to go for the toy. Have you padded the shoe rack for him? Maybe move the food/water out to another area if you think the bathroom is scary for him. Or at least the food/water. All of these things will add up to him starting to trust and like you. Leave him a treat on the edge of his hidey hole. Pretend you have a kindergarten crush, but not stalker desperation. 😄 You're doing great!
Will do! He seems to be pretty content with his shoe rack, I did think about putting a little blankie in there for him but he never comes out of there when I'm home so it's unfortunately unlikely I'll be able to find a moment to stick one in there. He doesn't tend to hop from hiding place to hiding place very often, he finds one place and becomes practically glued to it😅I still think his fear of me is greater than his desire to play, but I'll keep trying to entice him with his toys! I know he loves the feather toy I bought him because I caught him red-handed (or should I say red-pawed) batting it around the other day on the camera. I'll just have to figure out how to get him to play with it when I'm on the other end of it!