4 months old kitten won't come out of hiding and 2 months old kitten scared of me

lolagoldie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Need advice please. So, about 2 weeks ago I took in 2 feral kittens -one is 2 months old named Tully and the other one 4 months old named Zorro. A week later I took another 2 months old kitten (posted about him and the litter box issue he had which is solved now).
They have all been to the vet and are healthy.

However, I am worried about Zorro. When he came to me I put him in a huge cage and he wouldn't come out of the box he had there when I was around.
After a few days he started crying and trying to escape from the cage and since the cage wasn't helping him I let him out.
Since then he has hidden in my walk-in closet and won't come out when I am around. I can hear him in the evenings playing and using his litter box and I see later that he has eaten his treats. I also caught him playing in the walk in cupboard with Tully. But, as he sees me he hides. I feel so sorry for him that he's so frightened. I bought a laser light to try and get him to play and come out but didn't work.
Any advice on how to make him not be so scared and be happy? Will it be better for him in a home with maybe only 1 kitten and no dogs? It's not like he has bonded with me so if I am not a good home then now is the time to find him a good home.

Also, Tully the 2 months old kitten that I found in the same area as Zorro, she doesn't hide and plays with the other 2 months old kitten or with toys, but when I try to touch her or she sees me, she runs for her life. I did manage in the beginning to touch her when she didn't notice and she didn't run away from it and purred (maybe she purred coz she was scared and not coz she enjoyed it?), and she also ate from my hand twice. I don't get why she is so scared of me and what to do so she won't be. She must be happy and not scared of me.
Only the third kitten isn't scared and doesn't stop playing running around and playing tag with me :))

Please, any advice will be most appreciated. No animal deserves to live in fear and they deserve to feel safe and loved.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its only been 2 weeks. Zorro is just a little less confident then the others, he will get more comfortable as time goes by. Do not force him out, maybe sit quietly in the room and read out loud from your phone so he gets more used to your voice. This is NOT unusual at all. Like people kittens have different personalities, he is more reserved. Neve stare directly at him, that is threatening to a cat. As long as he is eating/drinking/using the litter box everything is fine! he'll be fine in a few more weeks, come here anytime you need reassurance!

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking in those kittens and giving them a chance!
I do know that ferals can have a longer/harder time acclimating to human interaction. The two months old kitten is still young enough that being feral didn't have much of an impact on him. But it sounds like the 4 month old may have had some bad human interaction at some point while he was outside, and that is sticking with him.

I agree with the posts above, the only thing you can do is continue to be patient. It can take a while for them to build trust enough for social interactions. If you can see him in the closet, try lying on the floor so you are on his level. Speak to him very softly, reassuringly. Very slow blinks will also show him you trust him, and in return may put him a little more at ease. These should help him feel less threatened and build that bond up. I'm sure with time you'll see some improvement.

Good luck, keep us posted on how things progress!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here is a link to another thread I posted in with some jackson galaxy videos. I have used some of the tips in the videos and can say they truly work. I hope it helps you too. Good luck, be patient, don't give up, you got this.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for giving these kittens homes. Even though 2 of them are still nervous around you, their lives will be so much better than if they were continuing to live outside.

Did you trap them yourself, or get them from a shelter? If you trapped them yourself, did you see a mother cat? Or is there an entire feral colony in the area.

Here's another TCS article that might have tips for you.
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat - TheCatSite

As well as How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? [Answered] - TheCatSite

Good luck. Keep us updated on their progress. And post pics of them, if/when can.
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post - TheCatSite

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Playing some cat calming music can help. There's some on any streaming platform. Any of them without high tones are great.

Music can stop them from being scared at every small sound that is new to them.

A couple of Feliway diffusers might help as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolagoldie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the replies and sorry for the late response. I was asked if I caught them myself or from a shelter - myself...saw a post in Fakebook about Tully and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Two days later someone asked me if I brought her back as they saw her(if she knew me she wouldn't have asked), so I thought there is another sibling. So, went back to look. Saw Zorro limping and no other kitten so I took him (they look alike so she thought it was Tully).
And then I heard about another kitten in another place and the neighbours didn't want him there so I took him in (Simba) but I can't take more. I wasn't even planning on adopting.

Anyway, I followed some of the advice here. Zorro who is now Panda has come out of the closet. I saw him twice on my bed with one of the dogs when I wasn't in the bedroom. He really wants to play with the other kittens. However, he is really scared of me. He will play with me like with a laser but I can't get too close to him. Now he ran into the cupboard in the kitchen as he was in the kitchen and I walked in....ran for his life.

Tully is annoying me :) I have stroked her and she purred and she will be around me but also I can't always touch her and I also have to move slowly around her or she will run away.

Simba, I have no issues with him besides the fact that he is like an energiser bunny and I can only hold him for a second before he runs to do other stuff :) At least he doesn't think I am a monster.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While they are all pretty young, you don't know what might have gone on with them where they were previously, so there could be some hesitancy related to whatever they might have experienced elsewhere. So, just be patient and take it slow. I think they will come around in their own good time!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... they're really cute. :redheartpump:

With time and patience, hopefully they'll come around and learn to not be fearful of you. When you interact with them, get down to their level, don't loom over them. And do the slow blink thing. Also, if you reach to touch them, close your fingers into a fist, and slowly reach forward, as opposed to reaching with your fingers outstretched.

Good luck. Keep us posted on their progress. And remember, thanks to you they already have a better life. :petcat::redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolagoldie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really want to be able to handle Panda and Tully. They are sooo cute and I just want to be able to touch them and sleep with them. It has been way over 2 weeks. I do get down to their level...twice I lay down on the floor so that Panda can get to know me (he was hiding under the bed) and fell asleep for like 2 hours :D

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep working with them. Be patient. Go at their pace. Two weeks isn't very long really, especially for feral kittens. Remember the older feral kittens are when they are trapped, the longer it (usually) takes for them to learn to trust humans.