Okay, I Know I Can’t Have Another Cat, But...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been 3+1 for 3 years now, after losing 3 in one year. Our furmily has been a lot larger and 3 feels like an empty house, but because Elvis (the male in the furmily) has a strong territorial streak, 3 is where we are.

LifeWithOliver

AM348
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you
... Look at this grumpy, adorable 11 year old girl who’s in the shelter. (Yes, a calico... I’m so predictable!) Her name is Soha. She was a street cat most of her life so she’s tough and battle-scarred but loves gentle pets and butt pats.
View attachment 287508
View attachment 287510
View attachment 287511

Odds are she’s going to spend the rest of her life there. There’s no point to this post other than to share how cute she is, and how badly I want to take her home. :(

No! I’ve got to talk myself out of it! I don’t need another cat, I don’t need another cat, I don’t need another cat... :nono:
Yes, you do need another cat. Soha needs a forever home with you. There is always room for one more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I emailed the shelter. I should've known this would happen after telling you all!!! :eek:

I sent an application asking to meet her (they require an application and photos of your house before scheduling a visit). I emphasized several times on the application that I was being VERY cautious about this, and was in NO HURRY to adopt, and I wanted to be SURE that she was a good fit for my house before making ANY decisions. Hence, no one can call me impulsive! ;)

My family and friends think I'm crazy for even considering a third cat. Not for any strong reasons - I guess just the principle of the thing? I think two cats is fine and three cats is the "crazy cat lady" threshold in their minds. I think their opinions matter, but I'm going to try to decide things based on the facts and numbers of the situation rather than personal emotions.

Which is pretty hard considering that this cat has the most adorably grumpy face I've ever seen. And it's also pretty hard when my brain thought of a new name for her that goes with my other cats. :bawling: Help me think logically about this, guys! (But also, look at the cat.)
26165801_1120218861414711_7573914981899205063_n.jpg

52822961_1568521386584454_5650693900738756608_n.jpg

30124428_1197367953699801_1017717456980468519_n.jpg

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing the responsible thing by limiting yourself to 2 Cats right now. An international flight is already going to be taxing with 2, but trying it with 3? I wouldn't.

Fostering her, on the other hand.....go for it. At the very least you will gain valuable insight into how she will behave in a home setting where it's not quite so hectic and busy, and be able to pass that information along to the shelter so they can include it into her file. That will give her a better chance of being adopted.

I fostered a Cat from the shelter I was volunteering at that everyone there thought was mean and grouchy, but I knew better after observing her for a while. She was extremely overstimulated, she could not handle being in close proximity with so many other Cats, the sights and smells were overloading her and she would lash out at Cats and people but after I brought her home she was fine. She was still easily overstimulated and you had to be careful to read her body language and stop giving her attention before it was too much, but overall she was a perfectly normal housecat, if a little aloof. She wasn't a lap Cat and probably will never be but she loves attention and loves to play, but she's also fine spending much of the day by herself and isn't one of the 24/7 clingy Cats.

That is the sort of thing you can do for her. Open your home to her as a foster and get to know her, record your observations, and pass them along to the shelter staff. There are many ways of giving love to an animal without actually adopting them.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I emailed the shelter. I should've known this would happen after telling you all!!! :eek:

I sent an application asking to meet her (they require an application and photos of your house before scheduling a visit). I emphasized several times on the application that I was being VERY cautious about this, and was in NO HURRY to adopt, and I wanted to be SURE that she was a good fit for my house before making ANY decisions. Hence, no one can call me impulsive! ;)

My family and friends think I'm crazy for even considering a third cat. Not for any strong reasons - I guess just the principle of the thing? I think two cats is fine and three cats is the "crazy cat lady" threshold in their minds. I think their opinions matter, but I'm going to try to decide things based on the facts and numbers of the situation rather than personal emotions.

Which is pretty hard considering that this cat has the most adorably grumpy face I've ever seen. And it's also pretty hard when my brain thought of a new name for her that goes with my other cats. :bawling: Help me think logically about this, guys! (But also, look at the cat.)
View attachment 287766
View attachment 287767
View attachment 287768
She is adorable. Praying you're able to adopt her! She SO deserves a loving permanent home.
In my experience, cats let you know through their personalities, looks, and actions, what their names are. You just have to be patient and observant.
As to others passing judgment on a person over the number of cats they share life with, my response would be unprintable, so I'll just say no one has any right to do that, as long as those in your care are loved, safe, well cared for, and comfortable. *Those people would no doubt shake their heads over me and my ex, who at one point were caring for 31. There were a lot of community cats where we lived, and slowly, we gained the trust of all but one and got them spayed/neutered/innoculated, and adopted them. We felt privileged to be able to do so. I wonder if those people would pass such scathing judgment on someone with a huge number of kids, something I consider absolutely irresponsible given the human overpopulation crisis. Probably not.*

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her chubby face looks a little grouchy, but her eyes look sweet to me. Just a little lonely maybe.
The shelter from the photos looks like a tremendous place but bear in mind that a shelter is still a shelter, and it's not the same as a home. Many dogs and cats that are not the top adoption candidates at a shelter (too shy, etc.), thrive in a home setting. She may fit in beautifully, she may not, but you won't know til you try. If you can't get your mind off of taking her in, there's probably a reason.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cinnamon.

Even though I'm still trying to be the voice of reason. Intercontinental flight with senior cat and two others...
The flights would give me a pause, too Lari Lari
I would just make sure to have a good vet on board that can verify she's healthy enough for travel.
I wonder if, by some odd chance something would come up and this little girl is somehow deemed not healthy enough for travel if the rescue would take her back and keep her for life. That would be something I would want to talk with them about. It always pays to think ahead and have a back up plan in the worst emergency. (I'm not one to talk, if a natural disaster hit us we'd be screwed.)
Other than that, I've never flown cats. I hope I never do, but I've moved with cats (by car, from house cats, to barn cats, to half feral cats that I couldn't stand to leave behind) and it wasn't a picnic but they actually did better than I and adjusted better than I did.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The flights would give me a pause, too Lari Lari
I would just make sure to have a good vet on board that can verify she's healthy enough for travel.
I wonder if, by some odd chance something would come up and this little girl is somehow deemed not healthy enough for travel if the rescue would take her back and keep her for life. That would be something I would want to talk with them about. It always pays to think ahead and have a back up plan in the worst emergency. (I'm not one to talk, if a natural disaster hit us we'd be screwed.)
Other than that, I've never flown cats. I hope I never do, but I've moved with cats (by car, from house cats, to barn cats, to half feral cats that I couldn't stand to leave behind) and it wasn't a picnic but they actually did better than I and adjusted better than I did.
We have had to run from hurricanes before. It's not the best of times but we did it. The girls were more offended that they had to be in their carriers while we were driving and in their playpen at the hotel in case someone opened the door. I couldn't risk them bolting in a strange city. They didn't mind the playpen nearly as much as they did the carriers. It had all the comforts in it.

She really does look like a Charlotte... just saying.. :lovecat::catman:

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, let me talk about the whole flight situation. It's one that ranges immensely in stress/hassle depending on the amount of money I can spend. There is a really excellent pet relocation service here that takes care of all the paperwork and hassle for you and helps immensely with the whole process. I am really hoping to use them and already putting money aside for that. Compared to other international destinations, the process of Korea-->USA is fairly simple - no quarantine or anything - but the amount you're willing and able to pay can make a difference in the overall journey. Honestly, if - by staying another year here in Korea working and saving money - I can guarantee a smoother journey for my babies, that would be entirely worth it for me. So, things are flexible. Luckily, I can get a direct flight (and I already live near the airport here) so I won't have to worry about any layovers or too many bus/car/train rides. The three main options are:

1) keeping the cat on the plane with you as carry-on (which I could only do with one cat, anyway)... which I've learned is typically very stressful for the cat with constant noise, jostling, new smells, changes in light and sound, etc. The carrier size allowed is much smaller than if they were in cargo, so they would be pretty cramped, especially Chilli since she's a big girl. Also, both of my current cats are screamers and I would have to deal with dirty looks (from them and the other passengers) for 11 hours! So I get to have them with me and know where they're at at all times, but it might cause them undue stress.

2) Putting the cat under the passenger plane as checked baggage. Cargo is usually much less stressful for the cat, since they are in a dark, consistent setting for the whole trip and can just go to sleep. However, it depends on time of year, and depend on the airline how well they'll be handled as checked baggage. Korean Air is supposedly really good but I admit it still makes me nervous.

3) Send the cats as manifest cargo on a cargo plane. This is by far the most expensive option, but also the best and safest in that those airline staff are trained in handling animals, and treat them very carefully and kindly. The cats would be loaded directly into the plane rather than spending time on the tarmac, so their stress and risk of anything bad happening is minimized. The pet relocation service highly recommends this for all pets but especially pets that are older, snub-nosed, have health issues, or are easily stressed. So... if I can afford it, that may be the best option, whether I have two or three cats.

I mean, she is older at 11, but she isn't ancient by cat standards. Of course before any flight all cats need to get a vet check to make sure they're healthy to fly.

The international travel is one of the major reasons for hesitating, and the other one is making *sure* I have lots of savings put aside for vet emergencies. After my experience with Chai and how many thousands of dollars I spent on her vet care, I'm a very over-anxious cat mom when it comes to their health and I never want to be in the position where I can't afford my cats' vet care. Especially with a senior cat. I've looked at the numbers and I think it's doable, but I would want to budget everything and be much more strict than I currently am with myself and my finances. The other worries would be upsetting the balance of cats in my house, if cats don't get along, if the space isn't big enough for them, etc... but those are lesser worries because a trial adoption or foster period could help me work those things out.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ahh! Stop recommending cute cat names when I don't even know if I'm getting her!!! It's killing me!!! :crash:

(Personally, I thought of Clementine.)