Okay, I Know I Can’t Have Another Cat, But...

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't take her off of your mind, then that means SOMETHING. ;)

Cinnamon is cute as suggested here. How about Chapati, or Champagne. Oops sorry, you said no more cat name suggestions. Right. My bad. :)

BTW, I L-O-V-E her ears!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, unfortunately... The shelter finally got back to me, and they said they think two cats is already too many cats for a “single expat.” So they won’t consider me for fostering or adopting Soha or any of their cats.

Considering they didn’t even see photos of my spacious apartment with all its vertical space and cat furniture, and considering I outlined for them all my financial and practical plans in the application, and especially considering Soha currently lives in a small apartment crowded with 20+ cats, many of which are sick right now according to their facebook page... I think it’s not a great argument. But that’s their decision, so I can’t do anything else about it.

Sorry, Soha. I hope some other kind soul takes you in. :(

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, unfortunately... The shelter finally got back to me, and they said they think two cats is already too many cats for a “single expat.” So they won’t consider me for fostering or adopting Soha or any of their cats.

Considering they didn’t even see photos of my spacious apartment with all its vertical space and cat furniture, and considering I outlined for them all my financial and practical plans in the application, and especially considering Soha currently lives in a small apartment crowded with 20+ cats, many of which are sick right now according to their facebook page... I think it’s not a great argument. But that’s their decision, so I can’t do anything else about it.

Sorry, Soha. I hope some other kind soul takes you in. :(
I am SO sorry, rosegold rosegold and I absolutely agree that these (and so many other) kinds of decisions should be based on individual circumstances, never on by-the-book rules alone. I think we both know the reality, and agree, so I won't rant. Just know my *PRAYERS* for Soha (and the other sweet, deserving cats) are also going up.:vibes:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“single expat.”
That's most likely the entire reason right there. You aren't a native or a permanent resident, you are planning on moving back to the US eventually. My guess would be they are most likely thinking ahead to when you do leave, what will happen to the Cats? As was already talked about, taking multiple animals on an international flight can be a logistical nightmare that grows almost exponentially with each additional animal so it's possible they are concerned that you might decide to only take one and leave the others.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's most likely the entire reason right there. You aren't a native or a permanent resident, you are planning on moving back to the US eventually. My guess would be they are most likely thinking ahead to when you do leave, what will happen to the Cats? As was already talked about, taking multiple animals on an international flight can be a logistical nightmare that grows almost exponentially with each additional animal so it's possible they are concerned that you might decide to only take one and leave the others.
Yeah, and it is true that far too many expats here get a dog or a cat without thinking ahead and then abandon/rehome their pet when they leave. It’s a very common and frustrating theme. That’s how I got Chilli in fact—from a couple who were leaving and decided they didn’t want to bring her. The shelter had several questions in the application addressing this, and I answered them very thoroughly with a solid plan and budget for exactly how I would get three cats home... but I guess they still thought it wasn’t doable.

Anyone who knows me knows that I would sooner die than rehome or leave behind my pets! They are my family. I tried to express this strongly in the application. But to be fair to the shelter, they don’t know me, so to them I’m just another expat who gets pets on a whim and then gets rid of them when they aren’t convenient anymore.

I think you're only allowed 2 cats on an international flight.
You’re actually only allowed one to be with you in the cabin. But there are other options for traveling with multiple animals - I wrote a post about it earlier in this thread.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not to rant, but... that makes two frustrating experiences with the two most well-known cat shelters here. Adopting Chai from the first shelter took *nine months* and a LOT of persistence and they repeatedly said no to me. Now, after the fact, no one would say that I wasn’t a perfect and fantastic home for her. But I was told over and over that I couldn’t adopt her for X reason and I should look elsewhere... “She’s sick; she’s shy; she’s wild; she’s unadoptable; she’s too much for a first-time cat owner; she needs special attention and experience; she’s not friendly; she’s not ready; she might not get along with your other cat...” etc. I understand that shelters feel protective of their cats, and they have good reasons, but if they’re going to be so picky, why not get to know me first? At least offer to talk about it with me and express concerns? Difficult and expensive though international travel may be, I am a responsible cat mom and I wouldn’t even consider adopting Soha in the first place if I hadn’t already spent hours researching and looking into everything.

Even if I got Soha and found the international transportation for three cats difficult, I would sooner wait a year and save more money to send them comfortably by manifest cargo than risk ANYTHING or even DREAM of giving any of my cats up. I expressed all that in the application. But I guess that’s only words, and everyone says that.

I’m glad I persisted so strongly to adopt Chai, even though it took nine months. But with Soha it really seems like a dead end. :(

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this turned out this way. I know you want to find reasons why they turned you down, but I think they are being too picky. Nine months is too long to wait on an adoption and Soha has been there two years. But good for you for trying and working so hard on it.