Officially Started Them on Raw!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well - sorry about the HT and agree with Laurie!! You won't have to worry about shipping and thawing :lol3: AND your cat's are NOT odd because my cats refuse the rabbit on some days too :sigh: I just don't get it with some of these kitties. Really - Rad Cat is the number one, slam dunk over here too with my four fussies! I can always count on good meals with RC. :nod: Right now I am only going with HT and RC for my cats. I gave up the Nature's Menu for a bit. No one was particularly interested anymore, even the dogs :rolleyes: Perla will only eat Rad Cat Lamb or HT Pork right now. So that is what she gets. Of course, I still have to mix hers with some canned and have to flortifly hers too. OH well - she is eating raw and if it is the same thing over and over - so be it. I don't know what I would do either if Rad Cat all of the sudden vanished off the face of the earth :eek: :paranoid:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well.... Dr. Pierson feeds the same cat food day in, day out. :dk: I'm not recommending doing the same, just sayin' .....
So does Carolina :lol3:
Well..... Lucky eats 2 proteins consistently: turkey and chicken breasts......... now she refuses pork :dk:
I balance it, give her the FD liver, her o-3...... I am pretty sure it beats the kibbles she was eating any day :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yay...got our Radcat today and both Tinky and Callie have full tummies now
.   I was a little afraid that it had been too long and Tinky might reject this as well, but he dove right in
.  Guess he was getting tired of S & C's dehydrated stuff.  He gobbled up his normal portion so fast that I ended up giving him more
, but I figured he deserved it after waiting so long for it. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: :clap: Hun, what can I say? Your kitties have good taste. :flail: They want THE GOOD STUFF! :lol3: I'm so glad it arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!
:yeah: ME TOO!!! :D :clap::clap::clap: My kitties (the four PsIMA that is) are on a HT strike :lol3: Rad Cat always comes to the rescue :bigthumb: :clap::clap::clap: I am going to break out the S&C FD later and see if that sparks some interest again, thanks for reminding me :lol3:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh brother.  I simply cannot believe my furkids and their pickiness!  Last night I thought I would try sneaking a little bit of Hare-Today lamb into their Radcat lamb to see what would happen.  I mixed .05oz Hare-Today into 1.55oz Radcat (that's such a miniscule amount I figured no one would notice, right?).  Guess what happened?  Do I really need to tell you?  When Tinky was done eating, there was still a little bit left in his bowl!  That NEVER happens!  Usually he licks it so clean I don't even need to wash it (kidding...I DO still wash it)  

And with Callie, since she's much less picky, I mixed in I think .4 oz into .8 oz Radcat, and she wouldn't eat ANY of it!  Not even with Fortiflora!  So, I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the Hare-Today stuff that I mixed up with the Alnutrin.  Could that be?  So far I have mixed up a batch of rabbit and a batch of lamb, and no one will touch either one, at least not since the Radcat has arrived.   I tried the rabbit again on Callie a week or so again because she was slowing down eating the Radcat, but she didn't want any.  I mixed up the stuff according to the directions, mixing the Alnutrin in water, then adding to the meat, but something seems to be wrong with it.  (maybe I should let the dog next door sniff it and see what happens
...if HE rejects it, then I'll know it's bad!!)

Anyway, as long as I don't mess with it, the kids are still eating well.  Tinky and Callie are having their Radcat, and Darko is having his Primal.  BUT, even though Callie is eating more than she was, and I'm stuffing her to the brim with freeze dried chicken breasts in between meals, she managed to lose weight
.  Everyone lost a little weight last week.  My goal is for Darko and Tinky to lose, and Callie to gain. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Sally! That's amazing, really! :eek:

Honestly? I doubt it's the meat that's bad. They're ground mixes - whole animal ground. So maybe it's all the little bits of bone or organs or WHATEVER in there that they don't like? :dk: (Though I might ask the neighbor to offer some to the dog just to see! )

Are you using digestive enzymes? I don't remember. Does Callie not like them? If adding them is not a problem, maybe that would help Callie gain some weight? Which Rad Cat is she eating? The chicken? The lamb? Because the same amount of lamb should have more calories, being a fattier meat...

:hugs:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are all still getting digestive enzymes....figure I should use up the bottle of it, AND, Callie is eating Radcat lamb, the fattiest of all the raw stuff, I think. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: I don't mean to laugh - but just had to laugh over here. MY FUSSIES are the exact same way. OMG especially Perla and Pipsqueak. God forbid I try to add any thing new into the mix, no matter how minuscule - they detect it. :shocked: I really do not think the HT and the alnutrin mix is bad. But funny about letting the neighbor's dog try it. :lol2: I have not tried the HT Lamb. Not sure why, but just ordered thirty pounds and did not include the lamb. Perla only eats RC lamb too right now. Anytime I try to "sneak" in anything else - she leaves. :walk: Although, I did get her to eat some HT pork this morning. She used to love that but lately has been refusing even the HT pork. SO I totally get the frustrations as we still have days over here like that. I have just learned to expect it!!! :bigmouth:

Keep at it, Sally! What else can we do other than to shove it down their throats.... :flail:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, so you'll never believe what happened yesterday.  You remember how my little picky boy Stinkpot held out for an entire week waiting for his beloved Radcat lamb to arrive when there was that mishap and the store forgot to order it?  And nothing else would do?  And how the other week I tried putting just .05 oz of something else  into 1.55 of that Radcat and he noticed it.  W E L L, yesterday he walked over to Callie's bowl and ate HER food, leaving his Radcat lamb untouched
.  And, her's even had Fortiflora on it, which up until now, he has absolutely HATED!  OMG, someone stole my Tinky and replaced him with a  lookalike

So last night and this morning I fed all of them the same thing (Primal Beef/Salmon), since that was what was in Callie's bowl at the time.  And he's continued to eat it.  Figures, since I now have 18 lbs of Radcat in the freezer
.     No, but seriously, I am so glad he's expanding his pallet (sp?).   We'll see how it goes, but maybe I can try going back and forth between the Primal and the Radcat, and then maybe try adding in some of the Hare-Today (eventually!).  Wouldn't that be nice! 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: :lol2: I am tellin' ya - just when you think it would never happen - IT HAPPENS!!!!!!!! :lol3: That is very funny about Tinky and how nice of Callie to oblige!! :clap::clap: I know how exciting it feels when you are able to add another brand/protein into a kitty that has been so stuck on one. It just makes our day!!! GOOD BOY!!! STINKPOT!!!! Now, let's keep going :lol3: :rub: Here's hoping that eventually you will get to all of that HT you have in the freezer.... :cross: :D :clap:

Yeah - my princess has been on Rad Cat lamb only and it has to be Fortiflied too :rolleyes: She is still my ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I love her SO!!! :D

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, so you'll never believe what happened yesterday.  You remember how my little picky boy Stinkpot held out for an entire week waiting for his beloved Radcat lamb to arrive when there was that mishap and the store forgot to order it?  And nothing else would do?  And how the other week I tried putting just .05 oz of something else  into 1.55 of that Radcat and he noticed it.  W E L L, yesterday he walked over to Callie's bowl and ate HER food, leaving his Radcat lamb untouched :shocker: .  And, her's even had Fortiflora on it, which up until now, he has absolutely HATED!  OMG, someone stole my Tinky and replaced him with a  lookalike :lol3: . 
:woohoo: :wow: :clap: :clap: :clap: Oh Sally, that's GREAT! I'm with Lauren - great of Callie to oblige! :lol3: Oh Tinky - Hare Today next! :cross: and KNOCK WOOD! (Just in case!)

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I see I haven't updated in...forever!

So, let's see.  STILL no one will touch Hare-Today.  I'm seriously beginning to wonder if perhaps it thawed too much since it was delivered on a hot summer day.  I thought most of it was still frozen, but there was an awful lot of blood in the bag, and the meats are really dry, even after I mix in the Alnutrin with water, so I always add even more water.  Whatever, I've given most of it away to my friends with dogs, and the dogs have eaten it with no issues. 

Tinky no longer likes Radcat lamb.  He hasn't touched it since mid-October.  So now I have loads of it in my freezer, but I'm not giving it up, because one of these days he'll probably decide he likes it again.  But the good news is, he likes what the others are eating, which is Primal Beef/Salmon mixed with Primal Turkey.  I can feed them plain Beef/Salmon, but if I try the mixture of more than 40% turkey, then they won't eat it
.  I guess I should be happy that at least there are TWO foods they will eat now, huh.  Gosh, they are just so picky!  OH!  I forgot...Callie will occasionally eat Duck Hearts or Chicken Breast, IF they are chopped up in itty bitty pieces!

Based on advise received from various people, I tried to switch Darko to a less caloric protein to try to get him to lose weight, since he is currently only eating 1.5% and not losing weight.  He is very much a creature of habit, and loves his Primal Beef/Salmon, but I have been able to at least get him to eat a mixture of that AND Primal turkey (slightly less caloric).  Doing this has required an increase in the usage of toppers, so maybe that's why he isn't losing weight
, although for him it only takes a sprinkle. 

Up until yesterday, Tinky still wasn't really eating MUCH, too little for my pleasure, yet he wasn't really losing weight, which was weird.  But yesterday, knowing we were going to gone for a long time due to the holiday I fed them differently and it made we realize somehow that he likes eating with just a little bit of food in his bowl at a time.  So now I've done that for the last 3 meals and he's eaten a lot more.  I just put in .5 oz to start, then when he finishes, he waits there and I add a little more, and he finishes that and waits for more, and I add a little more, etc.  Now I'm not throwing away what he doesn't eat, and he's actually eating more!  I'm very excited.  And it's working with Callie too!  Seems weird, but whatever. 

And, of course, there's Darko, who just inhales whatever is in his bowl, then tries to eat whatever is in THEIR bowls, poor starving guy.  So I think I'll do the same with him, only limit how many spoonfuls I give him to make sure he doesn't get more than his allotment.  At least he won't feel left out. 

The good news is, they had their annual check up this week, and got a clean bill of health
.  Their Vet said they looked wonderful...absolutely NO issues. 
.  We discussed Darko and the fact that he is eating so little and not losing weight, but she said she didn't want is to drop his food any lower.  Plus he has actually lost one pound since last year's visit, so I guess that's better than nothing.  AND, he's lost a couple of ounces in the past few weeks, so maybe something is starting to happen.  Yesterday I actually found him on top of a cabinet that he's never been on before, so he must be feeling pretty spry

So...I guess that's it.  Wish I could report that they are eating all kinds of new stuff, but they're still holding out on me.  AT least they're eating raw, so for that I am very grateful.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Sally - those picky finicky eaters! :hugs: But that is GREAT that you've found a way to get Tinky and Callie to eat more! :clap: :clap: :clap: And YAY you might have found the key to helping Darko lose weight! We hit that "you can't give them him any less food" with Billy (as you know). I'm sorry the meal-amount-switch up thing didn't work for Darko. I think Billy's still slooooooooowly losing weight with this feeding method. I hope Darko gets where you want him to be. :cross:

But even more importantly - CONGRATS on the annual check ups! I'm sure you must have felt GREAT to KNOW they're all doing so well. I hope it makes all the insanity and frustration worth it! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, will wonders never cease!  Today both Tinky and Callie had lamb again
.  AND, Callie is really, really, really liking duck hearts suddenly.  I think my baby girl is FINALLY getting into pieces of meat rather than ground.  Can I get another big
!   Last night I gave her the rest of what I had thawed, and I cut them up into bigger pieces than normal, and before I turned around, they were gone
.  Now I know the boys didn't eat them, 'cause they don't care for them, so that can only mean that she did it all by herself.  I'm so proud!   Guess I'm going to have to order more from Hare Today after all.  Right now I've got some chicken breast strips thawing for her for tonight.  We'll see how that goes before I get too excited. 

And Tinky did require some effort before he ate his lamb, but at least he didn't try to bury it right off the bat
.  That's when I figured I was gonna be ok.  I ended up having to cover some of it with the Primal that he's been eating, then once he ate that, he polished off the rest and even ate more...LOTS more
  (I wonder if it's actually possible that one day
they might all actually eat Frankenprey?????
  ) 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Due for another update.  Really just wanted to update that my little Piggy is getting rather svelte
What to you thin?  From this angle he doesn't look TOO fat, does he?  I can definitely still feel a layer of fat on him, but he's getting there!

Stinkpot and Callie way exactly the same as they did 2 months ago.  Did not change one little iota, which I thought was kind of strange, since sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get Callie to eat

The good news is, I have finally gotten my pickies to eat Hare-Today beef vs Primal beef (all except Tinky...he's only up to 1/4 Hare-Today mixed in with either the Primal or his Radcat lamb, but we're s l o w l y  working our way up
(hey, I'm just happy he's not solely eating Radcat anymore
).  So...since they are accepting Hare-Today now, I'm going to try to incorporate more of that.  I had already added Primal Turkey into their diets, so now I'm going to order Hare-Today turkey, chicken and pork mixes and try all over again to get to eat different proteins.  I know Callie wants something else, just don't know what.  She used to really love duck hearts, and always gets excited when she sees me cutting them up for her, but then just eats a couple of bites and stops
.  The only time she really polishes off what's in her bowl is when either she is very, very hungry because she has not eaten well for a few days, or when I've just defrosted a new container of HT beef and it's the first serving after she has had "anything" else for the last meal.  And I only put 6 oz in a container to freeze, so it's not like I don't defrost one every day or so...so in other words, not like they overstay their welcome in the fridge.    I just can't figure her out.  The other two have no problems eating at all any more, thankfully.  (Oh God, please don't let me have just jinxed myself
)

h yes, forget to add that next time I order egg yolk lecithin I will NOT be ordering the Swanson's.  Because it is so powdery, it makes them sneeze
.  Callie loved to eat it when it was in cooked egg yoke form (forget the brand name that we all started with originally), but now when I put the Swanson's on her plate, she starts sneezing.  And if I put her food on top, it doesn't even blend in without really having to stir A LOT!  and if I put it on top, she sneezes and won't eat her food.  So what I am doing is having to mix it with a little water before adding food (for all of them)  It's kind of a pain, so am thinking I'll just take the rest of them myself and order them the old stuff.

OK, guess that's my update for now.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He doesn't look fat at all! Like Billy, obviously he carries the extra weight really well. :lol3: And yeah - REALLY shiny coat! But that's GREAT news he's losing weight! I'm really glad the krill oil is helping. I really wonder what's up with Billy's weight, I should take him in. Most of the others have gained some over the winter - they all seemed to want to eat a little more. Now that the days are getting longer and longer, I should probably start cutting them back a little....

The other egg yolk lecithin is Nature's Plus. :) Such a silly girl, sniffing up her egg yolk lecithin! :lol3: (Though Lazlo does that all the time - gets a snoot full of something. He doesn't sneeze though, he just snorts and then digs in. :lol3: ).