October 2022 book of the month club - 3 year anniversary - Choose Your Own Book

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished another book last night, and since I started it before the 22nd, I'll count it as one of this month's book club reads.

What book did you read?
1666612173308.png

The Club by Ellery Lloyd

Why did you choose it?

It was a “Lucky Day” loan from my library, where occasionally one e-book copy of really popular books gets put up to borrow. And since it sounded good, I borrowed it.

Were you pleased with your choice?
At the beginning, and up to about the halfway point, I probably would have considered this book a disappointment, as there were so many characters, I lost track of who was who.

Unsure whether to continue, I read some reviews on Goodreads. Some readers quit the book, but those who continued said it got much better, so I kept reading, and they were right. It got really good and twisty during the 2nd half of the book. So for that reason, I would recommend it to fans of the genre.

The author’s name, I learned, is a pseudonym for a husband and wife writing team. They’ve also written “People Like Her” which the Goodreads reviewers seemed to like more, so I will probably read it eventually.

What did you think of choosing your own book to read this month?
It probably goes without saying that I love the “choose your own book” month, as it gives us an insight into books members read and enjoy.

Write a review of the book you read
This was a murder mystery set on a private island that was the location of an exclusive club for the rich and famous. The island is accessible only by helicopter, boat, or a causeway during low tide.

The book opens with 2 unnamed occupants crossing the causeway in a car, as the tide is coming in, and they realize they won’t make it to shore. Why was leaving the island so urgent they took that risk? That’s one of the many questions that will be explained by the end of the book.

On the island, we soon learn there are many secrets involving the both the guests and the staff. And, of course, being a murder mystery, not everyone will make it to the end of the book alive.

As mentioned above, this books starts out slow. There’s a lot of characters, and a lot of backstory, and it does get confusing. But everything gets clearer as the story progresses, and the last part of the book is really good. Just too bad the first part wasn’t written differently.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds very much like the Book of the Month for June: "And Then There Were None!" by Agatha Christie. Plagiarism? :lol:
I'd never heard of "And Then There Were None" till we read it, and since then I've read at 2 books that were super similar.
One was Nine Lives by Peter Swanson and the other was Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney. Guessing there's likely more.

Oh, btw, I think I'm going to read " Violeta " next.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . I clearly remember Dune by Frank Herbert and noticed the book you read was by Brian Herbert. I googled his name to find he is the son of Frank. How does he compare, is his style of writing the same, is he as good.
He and Kevin J. Anderson took this on with an eye to making their own books fit seamlessly with those of Brian's father, and in my opinion, they did a STELLAR job! Much, if not most, of their books are based on notes kept by Frank for future novels, or notes on the past in the "Duniverse," on which the present tense of the activity was based.

I'm not familiar at all with the Dune series. Is it futuristic / dystopian, historical, or something else.
Oh, goodness. Well, the first two are very much SciFI, lots of battles between machines, human/machine hybrids, and humans, as humans battle for their freedom against the machines. But there is also a lot about sociology, the roots of religions, and a cast of really well-done characters. The later books, while being roughly SciFi, delve more deeply into sociology. And MAN, is it an interesting dive. It is futuristic, in that sense, mankind has spread across the galaxy, but... it doesn't depend quite so much on the usual tropes. I consider Frank Herbert to be, along with JRR Tolkien, to be a "universe builder."

My main problem in the first two books is that I'm not at all sure that an AI would automatically take over and enslave humans. I mean, given an adequate power supply, there is no reason for one to do so. Greed isn't written into any species, that arose from competition for resources, and that would not be an issue. And why on earth would an AI want human slaves? We're reliably messy and undependable. It would make more sense to design a machine to do whatever humans might do, leaving the illogical critters (humans) to their own devices.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl , I thought I had done well reviewing 2 books. You must be in the reading mode.

Its strange how an author can produce a good book and the next one you read is a disappointment. As for Colleen Hoover, her books have been popping up in my library the last month or so and I couldn't make my mind up if I would like them or not. Having read your review I think not. There are too many books out there I am keen to read.
Recently I have spent a lot of time waiting - in the car, at the hospital, before an appointment - and at least remembered to take my tolino or a book with me. In addition I have not slept well and reading till 2 or 3 in the morning has kept me sane! The books I'd chosen were all either exciting or short and simple so I don't think I ever had to throw a book aside because it was "impossible" or just too stupid. Colleen Hoover did write a sort of apology at the end of Verity for all the sex-scenes. I've read that this book was not anything like her other best sellers. If I could borrow something free of charge, I may give her another chance but my library has nothing and I've spent enough on books lately. :)

I've just downloaded 10 not-too-wellknown classics and at least one essay (How to live on 24 hours a day, by Arnold Bennett) for a quarter of the price of my yearly subscription to the library and less than half the price of a modern paperback. I aso checked the library for the 9 (?) books we've read this month and for our November Book of the Month - but only found one of the Dune books and Gilly Macmillan's book "The Nanny" both in German. Even "The Godfather" was not stocked. I've read 1 1/2 Harry Potter's but never got hooked!

I'll keep looking. Perhaps I will find something secondhand and not too expensive with postage!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, goodness. Well, the first two are very much SciFI, lots of battles between machines, human/machine hybrids, and humans, as humans battle for their freedom against the machines. But there is also a lot about sociology, the roots of religions, and a cast of really well-done characters.
Sounds a little Terminator-like, and not sure if it's something I'm interested in these days. But I've learned to never say never, so who knows I might decide to read one some day.

for a quarter of the price of my yearly subscription to the library
There's a fee to use the library?

I'll keep looking. Perhaps I will find something secondhand and not too expensive with postage!
Good luck. Hope you find some inexpensive ones.

rubysmama rubysmama . You are good at finding books that can be downloaded free, any sites you known of?
I mostly only know of the sites that have free downloads to books that are no longer copyrighted. I think any sites, other than library-related ones, that have free downloads of newer books would be risky using, as they could come with spyware or malware. There is, of course, Kindle Unlimited, but you do have to pay for that, after your free trial.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds a little Terminator-like, and not sure if it's something I'm interested in these days. But I've learned to never say never, so who knows I might decide to read one some day.
The first two, "The Machine Crusade" and "The Butlerian Jihad" did have sorta "Terminator" qualities to them, but they were saved by the human characters...and even the machines had "personalities." The main thing with those books is the deep background it gives on the "present day" attitudes and the government of the Imperium. And, one of the main threads through "Dune" and to "Children of Dune" is the longstanding and viscious feud between House Atredies and House Harkonnen. The first two books tell you exactly how and why those feuds started and became so virulent.

Know what I love MOST about "Choose Your Own Book Month"????? I get to make a list of books I think I'd like that I've never run across before!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Know what I love MOST about "Choose Your Own Book Month"????? I get to make a list of books I think I'd like that I've never run across before!
That's my favourite part of Choose Your Own Month too. I've already started reading, and enjoying, Violetta, which gilmargl gilmargl reviewed, and I'm 99.9% sure I would never have read otherwise.

I just wish some of the people who lurk on this thread would be brave and join us, as I bet they've read some good books too.
But then again, maybe some of the 2K views aren't even from TCS members.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I haven't seen any of those boojs and just checked my library and they dont have any. Next time I call in I will ask if they can get one in for me. Any book in particular I should start with.
Just out of curiously I checked, and my library doesn't have any e-books by that author either.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1666881669092.png

We're getting near the end of "Choose Your Own Book Month", so thought I'd tag a few of you who posted earlier in the thread, to see how your reading is coming along.

I'll have to see what I'm reading closer to October.
misty8723 misty8723 : Did you end up reading anything? Even if you haven't finished it, you can still post the title and author, and your thoughts so far.

I read a book many many years ago as an assignment for school called Heart of Darkness which I have kept saying I wanted to go back to and read again. I wasn't ready for it plus it was a school assignment. It is actually a short book but it has generated thousands upon thousands of pages of commentary and routinely shows up on lists of most important books of the twentieth century. The movie Apocalypse Now was based on Heart of Darkness. They just switched the location from the Congo to Vietnam. The Colonel in Apocalypse Now even had the same last name as his counterpart in Heart of Darkness.
denice denice : Did you end up reading "Heart of Darkness", or maybe something else. If so, let us know your thoughts on what you read. .

I started re-reading Terry Pratchett’s Moving Pictures the other night. Time was I would finish a book like that in a few days, but at the rate I read actual printed books now (a while before bed, if at all, in a day) I may not finish it by the 21st!
catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback : How are you doing with "Moving Pictures"? Have you read enough to post some thoughts on it yet?

I've started a book that won a Pulitzer prize in '21, Wilmington's Lie. It is an account of the terrible happenings in Wilmington. NC in the late 1890's. It is a subject that was covered by my local newspaper, which won awards for the series. Since I am familiar with the story, I may not find it interesting. If not, I will review one of the other books I have read recently.
Boris Diamond Boris Diamond : How's "Wilmington's Lie" coming along. Or have you read something else you can review?

I haven't even started a real book yet.
Lari Lari : Did you find time to start a "real" book yet?

I am getting through "Braiding Sweetgrass," more than halfway through. My Ipad has decided to keep shutting down (I have the book on Hoopla) so it's taking a little longer. But I will get done, a few days after the 21st.
pearl99 pearl99 : How's "Braiding Sweetgrass" going. That's a really interesting name for a title, so curious to see what it's about.

Last edited:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 434936

We're getting near the end of "Choose Your Own Book Month", so thought I'd tag a few of you who posted earlier in the thread, to see how your reading is coming along.

misty8723 misty8723 : Did you end up reading anything? Even if you haven't finished it, you can still post the title and author, and your thoughts so far.

denice denice : Did you end up reading "Heart of Darkness", or maybe something else. If so, let us know your thoughts on what you read. .

catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback : How are you doing with "Moving Pictures"? Have you read enough to post some thoughts on it yet?

Boris Diamond Boris Diamond : How's "Wilmington's Lie" coming along. Or have you read something else you can review?

Lari Lari : Did you find time to start a "real" book yet?

pearl99 pearl99 : How's "Braiding Sweetgrass" going. That's a really interesting name for a title, so curious to see what it's about.
I finished it last night, and I'll post a review later today- I'm working in the election today!
I really enjoyed the book.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
1666886943303.png

The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

This was a reread for me. I didn't think i would like the book but ended it up l0vingit. is considered a young genre adult book and has been made into movies starring Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen. I initially didn't like the dystopia genre but it grew on me.\\

I am writing this free hand as my fingers and hands are not working properly today but this books is amazing and there will be a prequel film coming out.

I read this on my decka few years ag and am so glad I did.

Attachments

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still haven’t finished it, and I’m mostly too tired to assemble any comments on it lately. I haven’t even picked it up for days. I used to get through books so fast ...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished it last night, and I'll post a review later today- I'm working in the election today!
I really enjoyed the book.
No rush. Whenever you have the time.

The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

This was a reread for me. I didn't think i would like the book but ended it up l0vingit. is considered a young genre adult book and has been made into movies starring Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen. I initially didn't like the dystopia genre but it grew on me.\\

I am writing this free hand as my fingers and hands are not working properly today but this books is amazing and there will be a prequel film coming out.
I was the same way about this series, thinking I wouldn't like it. But I heard so much about it, I decided to give it a shot, and ended up loving all 3 books. I haven't watched the movies yet, but do intend to, one of these days.

Sorry your fingers and hands are giving you grief. Hope they get better soon. 🤗

I am reading a grown up book and trying to finish it!
Glad you're finding time to squeeze in a grown up book. But don't feel pressure to rush and finish it. Read at your own pace, and post your review whenever you finish, even if it's after the end of the month.

Still haven’t finished it, and I’m mostly too tired to assemble any comments on it lately. I haven’t even picked it up for days. I used to get through books so fast ...
Sorry you're having trouble finding time to read, or even energy to write comments on it. Hope the things keeping you away from leisure reading settle down soon. And that you get some rest. 🤗