October 2022 book of the month club - 3 year anniversary - Choose Your Own Book

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's 100 minutes until 22nd October here in Germany. I hope it is not too soon to start posting. :)

October was special because we could choose our own book to read. But, it was even more special for me, because I actually read 6 books. In my opinion, these ranged from literature to trash and I’m going to start with the book I consider literature! It’s a book which I really should read again in order to gain more insight – though, it is easy to read on a superficial level just to find out what happens.

What book did you read?
1666383034475.png

The Lying Life of Adults by Elena Ferrante

A stand-alone coming-of-age story. though there could easily be a sequel on the way. I do hope so.

Why did you choose it?
For me, the 4 novels in the Neapolitan series were among the most interesting books I came across during recent years. Her 4 follow-up books were not so enthralling, but I decided to read “The Lying Life of Adults” maybe because of the sentence printed on the cover “Two years before leaving home, my father said to my mother that I was very ugly.” Well, he didn’t say that in so many words, but Giovanna understood that being compared to her aunt was not a complement and so began a period of self-loathing.

The story is set in two very different areas of Naples – one middle class, where Giovanna lives with her parents, and the other a poorer, rather vulgar area where her father grew up. Her father had not only no contact with his sister still living in the slums, but Giavanna's parents very rarely even mentioned her.

The book was certainly as good as I had hoped. The ending was difficult to accept but maybe more symbolic than fact! Probably the bracelet, passed backwards and forwards over the years, also had a meaning which evaded me – but I did learn that in Naples there is a tradition of handing down jewellery from one generation to the next.

It was a fast read if you like this type of book, which describes people as they are – not black or white – good or bad – but various shades of grey. There were so many points which would have been really interesting topics for discussion in a book group – but I’ll reread it and do my own brainstorming! :lol:

If you liked “My Brilliant Friend” by the same author, you’ll probably love this one too.

I read a paperback copy which I bought used on eBay.

5 reviews to follow! But I'll be able to put at least 2 of them together!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not quite the 22nd here either, but no rules this month, right. ;)

So far I've read 2 books. One I started towards the end of September, but finished the first week of October, so I'm going to count it as an October read. The other I finished earlier this week. I'm now reading a 3rd one, which I may or may not finish in time to review this month.

I'll post the review for the first one now, and the 2nd one tomorrow.

What book did you read?

1666387586031.png

The Long Weekend by Gilly MacMillan
This was a standalone thriller about 3 couples on a weekend getaway at an isolated retreat. The wives arrive, but the husbands are delayed till the next day. A welcome gift from a friend, includes a letter stating that one of the 3 women’s husbands will be murdered before they return home. Fear that it might be real and not a sick joke, along with a rain storm and no phone service, makes for a miserable and frightening night. And things don’t get any better once they return home the next day.

Why did you choose it?
This was an e-book that was available on my library’s website at the time I was ready read another book, so I borrowed it.

Were you pleased with your choice?
For a thriller, the writing was a little long winded, so not quite a page turner, but I did find myself going back to it whenever I had a free minute or two. And despite trying to decide who was doing what, I kept changing my mind with every page I read.

If you like thrillers/murder mysteries, I think you might enjoy it. And I could see myself reading another by the author.

My only nitpick would be that there were only 3 chapters, and I prefer books with short chapters, as I like stopping reading at obvious ending spots. There were, however, breaks in the chapters where you could stop reading, so it wasn’t that annoying for me.

This was my first book by this author, but my library has others by her, which I will probably eventually borrow.

What was the format of the book?
E-book

How did you acquire the book?
Borrowed from library

Write a review of the book you read
Not really anything more to add, as I don’t want to get into spoiler-y comments.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1666389283196.png

What book did you read?
Title: The Saints of Swallow Hill
Author: Donna Everhart
Standalone: Standalone
Brief Synopsis: In this fictional book, you follow Rae Lynn Cobb, a turpentiner who works with her husband on their farm in North Carolina unitl things take a tragic turn. She fears she will go to jail, so she disguises herself as a man and heads for a turpentine camp in Georgia called Swallow Hill. Life is hard there, though she does become friends with Del Reese, who is a fellow worker, and Cornelia, the wife of the brutal commisary owner. She quickly becomes a target for Crow, the abusive woods rider.

Why did you choose it?
I saw it on amazon and thought it might me interesting.

Was it as good as you expected or a disappointment? Better than expected.
Was it a fast read or a challenge to get to the end? It was a very fast read.
Would you recommend it to other readers? Yes.
If part of a series, do you plan to read the next one? Unfortunately, it's not part of a series.
If standalone, would you read another book by the author? Yes.

Paperback

Ordered from amazon.

What did you think of choosing your own book to read this month?
Would you like to do this again, on occasion? I enjoyed it and would like to do this again.
Or do you prefer to have the choice announced, and everyone read the same book? I would like to join in from time to time. I've always wanted to be in a book club!

Without giving away spoilers, I learned about something I was unfamiliar with, turpentining. The author clearly did her homework, and gave details of the different methods of obtaining turpentine, and an image of how life might have been back in the 1930s. It was easy to become absorbed in the book, imagining little stores along the roadside, working in a turpentine camp (something I'd never heard of), and the heat of a Georgia summer, something I know all too well. This book is very original and it is easy to imagine yourself in Rae Lynn's shoes. Though Rae Lynn made some decisions that made me want to scream at her as if she was someone in a horror movie, I found her very likable and strong. This is a book I will keep to read again and again.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read two books for this month. The first was
Breathless by Amy McCulloch.
1666430246994.png

Its a stand alone novel that I chose for no reason other than it sounded like a book I would enjoy.

Its a story of a journalist who has been offered the opportunity to interview a well known climber who has been praised for unselfishly saving lives on treacherous mountains whilst he climbs alpine style- without oxygen or ropes.

The mountain in question is Manaslu in Napal and the female journalist will only get the interview if she reaches the summit as part of his team.

She accepts the challenge because its considered the 'elusive' interview and could make her career. Although she has done a certain amount of climbing in the past, its nothing compared to this challenge.

I'm not giving anything away by saying there is a killer on the mountain but who it can be remains a mystery. Just when I thought I had worked it out, I found I was wrong.

I found the beginning a little slow but it soon picked up pace. I enjoyed the descriptions of the scenery and the difficulties the climbers encountered.

My only complaint is that I would have liked another chapter to tell the reader what happened to the survivors, how they coped and what they went on to accomplish.

The format was in ebook.

I would recommend it to anyone who likes a mystery/ adventure story as I found it a quick and enjoyable read. I haven't found another book by this author but would read one if she wrote another.

I will write my second review once I have fed my nagging cat.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My second book was

The Four Winds by Kristen Hannah.

1666430423209.png

I didnt choose this myself, one of the women in my local library though I might enjoy it for a change and she was so right.

Its a different genre from my usual and set in 1920's. Its the story of a young girl, one of three sisters who's parents consider her to be unmarriageable because she is tall, has plain features and an unsubstantiated illness as a child.

They treat her differently to her sisters, no pretty clothes, dont take her anywhere and constantly remind her that she is different. She spends her time ready, mostly romantic novels and believes them to be true to life.

One day she rebels and the story goes on to tell the consequences. Hard times and struggles, a sad story in parts but for me I found it compelling.

I found it to be well written and descriptive making the characters and environment easy to visualize.

The ending came as a surprise to me which made the book more enjoyable.

It is a stand alone novel, my copy was in paperback form. This author has written several books and I have already got another to read. Again, I would recommend this book if the genre suits you.

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What book did you read?
My second book was Violeta by Isabel Allende

1666432052516.png

Why did you choose it?
It is still in the top twenty list for sales in Germany and my ex-boss happened to mention that she was reading the e-book in English since it was a fraction of the cost of the German edition. She was enjoying it and could assure me it wasn’t concerned with spirits as in Allende’s earlier books (which I’d also read) so I decided to read it too.

It was even better than expected covering a period of 100 years – from the Spanish flu in South America in 1920 to Corona in 2020 - the lifespan of the amazing Violeta. She tells her life story to her grandson, the relation she feels closest to. Although the book is set in South America, no specific country is mentioned, and the towns are fictional. Family troubles, abuse, drugs, political upheaval, natural disasters are all encountered in these 100 years. The book reminded me to some extent of Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s classic “One Hundred Years of Solitude” which I’d read when my brain was functioning better and could keep track of the characters – many named Aurelianos! But the similarity is only in the time span, location, and perhaps the interactions between Violeta and the indigenous population in the mountains.

It was a fast, pleasant read for me and I can recommend it to other readers. It reads like an autobiography – very authentic and, in spite of many setbacks, it has a thread of optimism running throughout.

As soon as I’d finished it, I immediately picked up another book by the same author.

E-book purchased

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl . I have ordered The Lying Life of Adults from my library and just downloaded Violeta, both appeal to me.

rubysmama rubysmama . I have a Gilly Macmillan book at home but not read it yet. My library has the Long Weekend so I'll add it to my 'must read ' books.

nurseangel nurseangel . As I mentioned previously, that book was one I had been considering reading. Now, based on your review, I have put it on hold at my library.

At this rate I will have to lock myself away to read all the books I want go. Keep them coming.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's my review of the second book I read this month.

What book did you read?

1666436986490.png

The Next Ship Home by Heather Webb

This was a standalone novel about 2 women who become friends in New York City in 1902. One is an Italian immigrant, who has just arrived by ship. The other works at Ellis Island, helping to process the thousands of men, women and children hoping to find a better life in America.

Why did you choose it?
This was a book I’d seen on my library’s website, and then was recommended by a fellow reader, so I decided to read it.

I really enjoyed this book. It’s not a time in history that I read about often, so I learned a lot about what it was like for immigrants to arrive at Ellis Island. The title is derived from the threat they all feared, that they would not be admitted to the US, and be booked on the “next ship home”.

I read it a bit slower than I usual do, but that was because I was enjoying the characters, and didn’t want their story to end too quickly.

The author has written other books, though I didn’t realize when I’d borrowed this book, that I’d read one she had co-authored: Last Christmas in Paris: A Novel of World War I

My library doesn’t have any of her other books, but if they did, I definitely read another one.

E-book

Borrowed from library

Although I’ve read a lot of historical novels over the years, I think this is my first one that focused around the immigrants arriving via Ellis Island, so it was interesting learning what it was like at that time in New York City.

One thing I found interesting is that many of the male immigrants were hired to dig the tunnels for the subway, which was very dangerous work, and prompted the men to protest for better hours and pay.

But the best part of the story was the unexpected friendship that formed between Francesca and Alma, and seeing how their independence and inner strength helped to shape each of their futures.

The book ended with an epilogue, which answered a few questions, but still left me wondering about other things, which could probably make for an interesting sequel, if the author wanted to revisit the characters.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm loving the variety of books everyone is reading. Keep the reviews coming !!!

What book did you read? harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban/ j.k.rowling/ series
l loved the entire Harry Potter series. When I first heard of it, I thought it was just for kids, and the first books were written for younger readers, but by Prisoner of Azkaban, the series started to hit its groove. If there weren't hundreds of other books I want to read, I would re-read the series again.

What book did you read? The Godfather by Mario Puzo
I've never read it. or seen the movie, and all I really know about it is
someone finds a horse's head in their bed
which never really made me want to see the movie. And I don't think I even knew there was a book.

The Lying Life of Adults by Elena Ferrante
I really enjoy coming of age stories, and that one sounds really good. And since my library has the e-book, I just borrowed it. Might not get to read it before the 3 week loan is up, but I can always renew it.

Title: The Saints of Swallow Hill
That sounds really good too. And my library has the e-book, so I just put it on hold. I know nothing about turpentining, so should be interesting.

Breathless by Amy McCulloch.
Another one that sounds good, so put it on hold too. I'm gonna be a busy reading bee. LOL

My second book was The Four Winds by Kristen Hannah.
I've read this one and really enjoyed it. In fact, I've read several Kristen Hannah books, and have enjoyed them all.

My second book was Violeta by Isabel Allende
Yet another one that sounds really good. So, since my library has the e-book, I've just borrowed it, as it was available. And, again, can renew it if I can't read it fast enough.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What book did you read? Number 3
1666461091700.png

A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende (Historical fiction)

This story is centred on the life of a student doctor caught up in the Spanish Civil War. It tells of how he had to escape from the Franco regime together with his mother and his brother’s pregnant girlfriend, Roser. He was interred in a French concentration camp but eventually managed to find a way out and was reunited with Roser. They had to marry so that both could be taken aboard the “Winnipeg” a boat organised by the poet Neruda to take Spanish refugees away from France to start a new life in Chile, “A Long Petal of the Sea”. This novel is based on historic and political events, including the first heart-transplant operations – only the main characters and their lives are fictional.

Why did you choose it?
After Violeta, I just wanted to read another book by Isabel Allende. I was glad I chose it.

There were too many wars and too much political unrest to make it a particularly light read but I read it quickly. It kept my interest right up to the end! Whereas women would probably find Violeta’s experiences more interesting, “A Long Petal of the Sea” could probably appeal more to male readers. Unfortunately, I had no-one willing to give it a try!

E-book, purchased

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What book did you read? Book number 4 - quite ashamed to have picked this! :blush:
1666462772028.png

Verity by Colleen Hoover

Why did you choose it?

I thought it was a Sunday Times Best Seller – but it was a New York Times BS!!!!

A huge disappointment. Apologies to those who like this author – and there are evidently plenty of you out there, but this book was a complete waste of my time.

It was a very fast read, even faster if you cut out all the sex. The story could be written on a postage stamp – 3 characters, one plot, 2 twists at the end: one quite clever the other an insult to the reader’s intelligence! Can’t give you too many details or I’d have told you the whole story! Let’s try this: After a car accident, Verity, a popular author is no longer able to finish the series of books she’s been writing. Her husband, Jeremy, is looking for someone to carry on the series as co-author and finds a not-very successful novelist who moves into his house. Isn’t that exciting? Well, I’ve already mentioned sex. The rest you’ll have to find out for yourselves!

Would you recommend it to other readers?

If they like this sort of book – why not? Just be willing to believe anything – so long as it makes a good(?) story!

Would you read another book by the author? – perhaps if it's free of charge! :lol:

E-book

Bought new (how stupid can you be?)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende (Historical fiction)
That one sounds interesting too, however, I think I'll wait and see what I think of Violeta before putting it on hold. There's a 13 week wait for the e-book at my library, so I wouldn't get it for a while anyway.

What book did you read? Book number 4 - quite ashamed to have picked this! :blush:

Verity by Colleen Hoover
You know, you didn't have to review it. :lol:

But you're right there must be lots fans of it, as Goodreads shows it with 748,224 five star ratings.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I learned about something I was unfamiliar with, turpentining.
Yep, and that's how the North Carolina Tarheels got their name! Those underground pits would occasionally explode, and since the workers almost all worked barefoot, their heels would get covered in tar. NC produced most of the tar and pitch for the British Navy up until the Revolution.

What book did you read?
Paul of Dune, by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Part of a Series, but can stand alone

Why did you choose it?
I've been wanting to read the entire Dune series for ages, now have all but three of the 24 books, and am taking a VERY deep dive into the "Duniverse."

I was very pleased. It wasn't a fast read, as it has a LOT of information, but it does not, in any way, "drag." Anyone who loved the original Dune books will enjoy this addtion to, and expansion of, the original story. I will certainly be reading the rest of the series (in chronological order, NOT order of publication), as I want the entire thing to unfold organically.

Paperback

Bought used

I loved it. I'd very much enjoy doing this more than once a year. Perhaps during one of the holiday months, so we can choose a book that we know we can fit into harried and hurried schedules!

'Paul of Dune" takes place, for the most part, immediately after the content of the original Dune, and covers the time just after Paul becomes Emperor. So it deals with the time between "Dune" and "Dune Messiah." It also skips back in time, telling us of Paul's childhood, and allowing a deeper understanding of the events that shaped his personality, his attitudes, and his ideas on governance. I'm seeing "Dune Messiah" now in a new light, knowing about these things.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
e never read it. or seen the movie, and all I really know about it is
someone finds a horse's head in their bed
which never really made me want to see the movie. And I don't think I even knew there was a book.
rubes that is a very small part of the book and since you already know about it, you will see it coming and skip that part in the book or film. I think you would like it. :hugs:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My books 5 and 6 are "just for fun!" chosen to put a smile on your face. They are both amusing each telling the story of how a member of a minority group was treated - not in the Dark Ages - but in the 1950's and 60's.

What book did you read? Book number 5
1666511713060.png

The Secret Life of Albert Entwistle by Matt Cain

This is a “Coming Out” book.

Even as a schoolboy in the UK during the 1950’s, Albert knew he was different at a time when homosexuality was a crime. His secret had to be hidden – particularly from his father. He spent his adult life as a lonely postman, cat owner, and carer to his ungrateful mother. After his mother’s death, and the threat of imminent retirement, the fear of losing everything that had kept him feeling alive and useful caused him to rethink his life and finally to start searching for the only person he’d ever loved, George. To start his search, he realised he needed help and had to overcome his shyness and speak to local people and his co-workers all of whom he’d tried to avoid for the whole of his life.

This book is certainly not “literature”. It’s hilarious, charming, and sometimes sad but the general feeling is positive. The spoken, local slang is rather quaint as the story is set in the Northern counties of the UK, but I found it easy to understand.
No problems reading this book quickly from cover to cover. There are no sex scenes and, thinking about it, the book could possibly be used in schools now that they are teaching something about LGBT to young people.

Why did you choose it?
I wanted a light, quick, cheap read. Something different.

I had to read it on my laptop which was annoying, but it was short and sweet and served its purpose. A fairy-tale perhaps, but it’s very human. There’s nothing out-of-the-ordinary about the characters nor in the situations described. It could be true!

E-book
Bought new

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl , I thought I had done well reviewing 2 books. You must be in the reading mode.

Its strange how an author can produce a good book and the next one you read is a disappointment. As for Colleen Hoover, her books have been popping up in my library the last month or so and I couldn't make my mind up if I would like them or not. Having read your review I think not. There are too many books out there I am keen to read.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . I clearly remember Dune by Frank Herbert and noticed the book you read was by Brian Herbert. I googled his name to find he is the son of Frank. How does he compare, is his style of writing the same, is he as good.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Paul of Dune, by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Part of a Series, but can stand alone
I'm not familiar at all with the Dune series. Is it futuristic / dystopian, historical, or something else.

The Secret Life of Albert Entwistle by Matt Cain
Glad you enjoyed this one. It sounds a bit sad to me, but of course you didn't give any spoilers, so maybe it had a happy ending.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My final book for October:
1666554301529.png

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
A stand-alone satirical comedy - some have called it historical fiction in which case I am also past history! :lol:

Why did you choose it?
There are not too many books in English in my local bookshop - perhaps the cover took my attention! The German translation was among the best-sellers.

Well, I couldn't take it too seriously. Romped through it - can't remember if I actually laughed out loud or if the humour made me cringe at any point. I wasn't displeased.

It was an easy, quick read - a fairy-story featuring Elizabeth Zott, a self-taught chemist who is extremely attractive, has plenty of energy and a huge amount of self-confidence to survive working at the Hastings Research Institute at a time when women were expected to stay at home and have babies. She falls in love with the brilliant scientist, Nobel-Prize nominated Calvin Evans. They are inseparable and become the subject of gossip eagerly spread by colleagues, both men and women alike. A tragic accident finds her on her own, and pregnant. Of course she is fired immediately losing her salary and her identity - her new one being unmarried-mother and her child illegitimate.!

Fortunately, she had co-ownership of Evans' house and her first task was to convert the kitchen into a laboratory. But helping other scientists did not pay the bills so she accepts a job at the local television studios presenting a cookery show "Supper at Six". She continually upsets her producer by ignoring his instructions, wearing trousers, encouraging women to change their lives "fearlessness in the kitchen translates to fearlessness in your lives!" and teaching them chemical formulae and reactions which take place during cooking. The show is a success but the sponsors are nor happy and Elizabeth starts to fall into depression.

In this book you will meet Mad(elaine) Zott, her very precocious daughter and Six-Thirty, the extremely, intelligent and faithful dog. Neither of them are convincing but it's a fairy tale and ......... as a fairy-story should - it does end happily.

Paperback

Bought new

Would you like to do this again, on occasion?
Yes, certainly, though I'm sure I'll never again manage to read 6 books in one month!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
Oh, another one that sounds really good. So I just put the e-book on hold at my library. There's a 6 month wait, so it's apparently popular over here too.

though I'm sure I'll never again manage to read 6 books in one month!
Yes, very impressive reading this month !!! :goldstar: