October 2022 book of the month club - 3 year anniversary - Choose Your Own Book

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I've started a book that won a Pulitzer prize in '21, Wilmington's Lie. It is an account of the terrible happenings in Wilmington. NC in the late 1890's. It is a subject that was covered by my local newspaper, which won awards for the series. Since I am familiar with the story, I may not find it interesting. If not, I will review one of the other books I have read recently.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm changing what I'm reading, a book that I had on hold came through after about 6 weeks of hold, so I'm reading "Braiding Sweetgrass."
"The Right Stuff" isn't in demand so I can keep that one out for awhile and read that next.
Final answer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There aren't any rules stating that the books read need to be "real" books, so that means anything read in October can apply. Even if it's a book you read over and over and over. :lol:

1665842280856.png

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
What book did you read? harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban/ j.k.rowling/ series
Title / Author / Standalone or Part of a Series / Brief Synopsis

Why did you choose it? i am re-reading the entire series
Favourite author / A book you'd been wanting to read /
A book you wanted to re-read / A book recommended by another reader

Were you pleased with your choice?yes i love harry potter
Was it as good as you expected or a disappointment?it was a great book
Was it a fast read or a challenge to get to the end?a challenge cause i had put it up for a while and then returned to it
Would you recommend it to other readers?yes i would
If part of a series, do you plan to read the next one?yes the next book in the series is goblet of fire
If standalone, would you read another book by the author?

What was the format of the book?paperback
Hardcover / Paperback / E-book / Audio Book

How did you acquire the book?my cousin mailed them to me
Already owned it / Bought new / Bought used / Borrowed from library

What did you think of choosing your own book to read this month?it was awesome
Would you like to do this again, on occasion?yes very much so
Or do you prefer to have the choice announced, and everyone read the same book?

Write a review of the book you read
If it hasn't already been covered by answering the above questions, feel free to write a more comprehensive review of the

it had a cold feel to it while i was reading it but gradually got better as i read through it ... im nearly done with it

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1666204769772.png

Three more days and then we can all start posting about the books we've read this month.
I'm looking forward to seeing how many different types of books were read, and if we have any duplicates.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 434327

Three more days and then we can all start posting about the books we've read this month.
I'm looking forward to seeing how many different types of books were read, and if we have any duplicates.
I am getting through "Braiding Sweetgrass," more than halfway through. My Ipad has decided to keep shutting down (I have the book on Hoopla) so it's taking a little longer. But I will get done, a few days after the 21st.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
What book did you read? The Godfather by Mario Puzo

Why did you choose it? It has been always one of my fave books and I enjoy rereads,

Were you pleased with your choice? yes
Was it as good as you expected or a disappointment? better
Was it a fast read or a challenge to get to the end? fast
Would you recommend it to other readers? yes
If part of a series, do you plan to read the next one? yes
If standalone, would you read another book by the author? yes

What was the format of the book? Paperback

How did you acquire the book? Bought new

What did you think of choosing your own book to read this month? liked it
Would you like to do this again, on occasion? yes
Or do you prefer to have the choice announced, and everyone read the same book? both

If it hasn't already been covered by answering the above questions, feel free to write a more comprehensive review of the book you read.
This is from the New York Times if you have any questions about the book, please ask. I loved rereading it and will again!!
April 27, 1969
Review
By DICK SCHAAP
The Godfather By
Mario Puzo
T

here are strong similarities between Michael Corleone and Alexander Portnoy. Neither of them, for instance, wishes to enter his father's line of work. Each of them falls for a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant girl. Of course, there are some differences, too. When Alexander Portnoy's father is frustrated, he gets constipated; when Michael Corleone's father is frustrated, he gets someone killed.
"The Godfather" is the coming of age of Michael Corleone in a world that Philip Roth never knew. It is the world of the Mafia in America, and the dialogue and the logic of "The Godfather" ring true enough to raise the suspicion that, at least by hearsay, Mario Puzo knows his subject well.
If Philip Roth has created a Jewish mother who can actually give you heartburn, Mario Puzo has created a Sicilian father who will make you shiver every time you stroll on Mulberry Street. And, with loving care and detail, what Roth has done for masturbation, Puzo has done for murder.
Yet it is unfair to carry the analogy too far. "The Godfather" is not written nearly so artfully as "Portnoy's Complaint." Nor does it approach the humor of Roth's work. Yet "The Godfather" is such a compelling story, a better-written Sicilian entry into the Irving sweepstakes, the truth- disguised-and-distorted-as-fiction genre, that any day now, I am certain, the Portnoy family and the Corleone family will end up sharing the heady heights of best-sellerdom as comfortably as the Jews and the Italians have long shared the pleasures of salami.
To condense "The Godfather," it is the account of the rise and fall and rise of the Corleone Empire, ruled by the godfather himself, Don Vito Corleone. Puzo performs a neat trick; he makes Don Vito a sympathetic, rather appealing character, part robbing hood and part Robin Hood. Without sugarcoating Don Vito's sins, Puzo makes the man believable and, more important, understandable.
Don Vito's supporting cast includes his three sons, Santino, who is too tough; Frederico, who is too weak; and Michael, who is, by the Don's standards, just right. Tom Hagen, the Don's Irish- German-American counselor, weaves in and out of the story, and so does the Don's wayward godson, Johnny Fontane, a crooner whose voice goes sour, whose career nose-dives after a disastrous show-biz marriage and whose career revives after he plays a dramatic role in a movie about soldiers. (If there is any justice at all, Frank Sinatra deserves a piece of the royalties on half the novels published in the last few years.)
The plot revolves around gang warfare and the names of the antagonists might as well read Anastasia and Genovese and Gallo and Profaci because almost all of the incidents spring straight from the headlines on page 3 of The Daily News (or page 87 of The Times, for that matter). For the most part, they only kill each other; as far as I can recall, only two innocents get killed in the entire book, and one of them is a horse--a magnificent horse, to be sure. The incidents--from a gangland kidnapping in Manhattan to an Appalachian-type sitdown to a murder on the Southern State Parkway--guarantee the pace of the narrative; the deeper strength of the narrative comes from examinations of the Mafia mind, a dedication to a peculiar kind of professionalism, a conviction that street justice is more equal and more honest than the justice practiced in the courts.
"The Godfather" is weakest when Puzo reaches out to drag in dramatic scenes that advance neither his plot nor his characters. Obviously, he has collected vivid vignettes, based partly or wholly on fact, that he could not resist throwing in. I can't particularly blame him; some of the extraneous Hollywood and Las Vegas scenes are wonderful little anecdotes that would brighten even the most blasé cocktail party; it would have taken a very strong-willed man to keep them out of "The Godfather." Puzo gave in. He also gave in to a scene in which Don Vito "coined a phrase that was to become as famous in its way as Churchill's Iron Curtain." At the big meet with the rival Mafioso, Vito Corleone says, "We will manage our world for ourselves because it is our world, cosa nostra." If the book were a cartoon strip, an electric bulb would have glowed above Don Vito's head.
Allow for a touch of corniness here. Allow for a bit of overdramatization there. Allow for an almost total absence of humor. Still Puzo has written a solid story that you can read without discomfort at one long sitting. Pick a night with nothing good on television, and you'll come out far ahead.
Mr. Schaap, who edited "Instant Replay: The Green Bay Diary of Jerry Kramer," is at work on the diary of a touring golf professional.

Return to the Books Home Page

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1666362677259.png

For the first 3 weeks of October, we've been encouraging everyone to read a book, and then come back on the 22nd and talk about the one you chose.

Since it's already the 22nd in some parts of the world, I guess we can officially start the discussion part of our TCS book club's "Choose Your Own Book" month.

No rules. No expectations. No grammar checks. No judgements. Anything you read in October counts.

• You can just post your own written review of the book.
  • Or answer some, or all of, the questions posted below, with or without your review.
  • Or, if time is limited, just post the title, author, and whether you enjoyed it or not.
And if you are an avid reader, and read more than one book, feel free to post about them all.

This month is really all about celebrating our love of reading.

1666363836605.png

Here are the questions. Answer as many as you like.

What book did you read?

Why did you choose it?

Were you pleased with your choice?
Was it as good as you expected or a disappointment?
Was it a fast read or a challenge to get to the end?
Would you recommend it to other readers?
If part of a series, do you plan to read the next one?
If standalone, would you read another book by the author?

What was the format of the book?

How did you acquire the book?

What did you think of choosing your own book to read this month?
Would you like to do this again, on occasion?
Or do you prefer to have the choice announced, and everyone read the same book?

If it hasn't already been covered by answering the above questions, feel free to write a more comprehensive review of the book you read.

1666364692060.png