October 2022 book of the month club - 3 year anniversary - Choose Your Own Book

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1662120347056.png
Last year to celebrate the 2 year anniversary of our TCS book club, instead of everyone reading the same book, we did something different, and let each participant choose to read and review any book he or she liked.
And as the feedback was positive, it was an easy decision to do the same to celebrate our 3 year anniversary.

So just as last year, you can choose to read any book you’d like. It can be fiction or non-fiction, one you’ve never read before, or an old favourite that you’ve wanted to read again.

The reading period will be October 1st to October 21st, with discussion commencing on October 22nd.

Since participants will be reading different books, this month’s discussion will also be different, so we’ll be providing questions to help readers critique the book they chose.

Everyone is invited to join us this month, and we look forward to seeing what types of books will be read. And though we’d love for all our fellow readers to join us every month, the book club is designed so members can opt in, or out, whenever they wish. So participating in October won’t commit you to future months.

That should cover everything, however if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Meanwhile start thinking about what book you’re going to read in October. And once you’ve made a decision, feel free to post the title and author.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what I'll be reading either. I always have several e-books on hold at the library, so probably whichever of them becomes available around the beginning of October.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am currently reading "The Nurse's Secret" but since I couldn't put it down and read all night, I will probably be finished long before October. I may buy another book by the same author. I am so excited! I don't know exactly how this works, but count me in! :clap:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read a book many many years ago as an assignment for school called Heart of Darkness which I have kept saying I wanted to go back to and read again. I wasn't ready for it plus it was a school assignment. It is actually a short book but it has generated thousands upon thousands of pages of commentary and routinely shows up on lists of most important books of the twentieth century. The movie Apocalypse Now was based on Heart of Darkness. They just switched the location from the Congo to Vietnam. The Colonel in Apocalypse Now even had the same last name as his counterpart in Heart of Darkness.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's really great to see so much interest already in our October thread. Looking forward to seeing what everyone ends up reading.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will definitely be jumping in on this one. It will almost certainly be one of the Dune books, as I'm reading that series from start to finish (about 23 books and a handful of short stories), and most of the books run to 700+ pages. I'll be there for a while!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't decided what I'll read yet, but since I read pretty quickly, and it's "read anything you want month" I'll probably read and review more than one book.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1664631570780.png

It's October 1st, so that means Choose Your Own Book month has officially begun. So if you read something this month, this is the place to tell everyone all about it.

The reading period is from October 1st to October 21st. Starting October 22nd, members can post their book reviews. Prior to October 22nd, we'll post some questions to assist with review writing.

For now, you can post the title and author of the book you're going to read. Or you can just wait until October 22nd, when we begin discussing the books. Whichever you prefer.

Some of us are avid readers, and will read more than one book between now and October 21st. If that's the case, you can choose to review as many books as you'd like.

As time for pleasure reading can be limited, if you don't finish your book, no worries, you can still review what you'd read so far.

This month is all about celebrating the book club's 3rd anniversary, but also about celebrating the joy of books and reading. So hope you will consider joining us. Everyone is welcome!

1664622987828.png