Newly adopted Rescue

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it has definitely been a minute since I last posted! So much progress with our Cece! She loves, I mean really loves bath brushes! I had been using a toothbrush on a pole to ‘pet’ her with then switched to a bath brush. Game changer! She is all into it. So, backup a bit, when July came and the neighborhood fireworks started Cece got spooked out of her room and hid in the bathroom. When I went to check on her she decided Mommy wasn’t as scary as fireworks 🤣She actually followed me back into her bedroom and let me pretend pet her with the bath brush. Since then she now will come right over to me at night when I go in her room and will follow me around in there. She gets lots of brushing with the bath brush and I won’t lie, I sneak some real hand pets when her back is turned. Got caught once and she tapped my hand 🤣. So far, one night she walked up to me and rubbed her head on my hand. I was so happy and just stayed still so I wouldn’t spook her. I am continuing to go at her pace, I am just so excited to see how happy my girl is. I was finally anle to get real pics now that ahe comes around. She is so beautiful! ❤View attachment 456567View attachment 456567View attachment 456568View attachment 456569
What a beauty! Keep up the great work. She is definitely learning that you love her!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not much new, she sure takes her sweet time moving along 🤣. She will come out of her box a lot of the time when I go in the room and let me ‘pet’ her with her bath brush. I sneak my hand in there a few times when her back is turned but if she catches me I get a swat. She will roll around right at my feet as long as I don’t make any sudden moves. She allows my husband to stand at the door and talk to her without running to hide and he is now transitioning to holding the brush to see if she will let him pet her with it. One success so far with that.
In 2 weeks we are moving, I will be setting her up in the new place same as here. I am also not going to wash all of her blankets yet so her scent will be on them for the new place. Might set her back a little but that is ok, I will continue to go at her pace. Originally I was foing to have her groomed that day since I have to catch her anyway but last time she was so groggy when she got home I don’t want her to be all out of sorts so I decided that might not be good for her.
I will keep you all updated with the move and send some new photos.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not much new, she sure takes her sweet time moving along 🤣. She will come out of her box a lot of the time when I go in the room and let me ‘pet’ her with her bath brush. I sneak my hand in there a few times when her back is turned but if she catches me I get a swat. She will roll around right at my feet as long as I don’t make any sudden moves. She allows my husband to stand at the door and talk to her without running to hide and he is now transitioning to holding the brush to see if she will let him pet her with it. One success so far with that.
In 2 weeks we are moving, I will be setting her up in the new place same as here. I am also not going to wash all of her blankets yet so her scent will be on them for the new place. Might set her back a little but that is ok, I will continue to go at her pace. Originally I was foing to have her groomed that day since I have to catch her anyway but last time she was so groggy when she got home I don’t want her to be all out of sorts so I decided that might not be good for her.
I will keep you all updated with the move and send some new photos.
This sound pretty good. Yea, don't rush her, she has been good and also made great progress.

Yea, don't wash her stuffs. Bring her scents along. You are doing the right thing and yes, photos please. Have a great and safe move.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Cece is very pretty,she looks like a very sweet,elegant little lady❤
I've not read all these pages but your OP and then the last few so forgive me if it was already suggested-of course it's not really the time to do anything new with a move,the most important thing is for her to get comfortable with new territory( thank goodness she's already very familiar with you and trusting of you)

Anyway,I was wondering if you try your hand ( closed) by her face and neck while she's eating- throughout the years it has always been my initial point of contact with ferals and strays who've never had contact with a human.... I begin,of course with food & tapping the dish with my fingernail ( tic tic tic),watch them eat and bring the dish closer and closer to me each day tapping until they approach with my finger tapping and then I brush the back of my hand across their face.....

The tapping serves 2 purposes,the call to eat ,later on I snap my fingers to train "come," without food and also to relate the hand to something already pleasurable ( eating)

Anyway,thought I'd share one of my methods with ferals that has served me well.... My own newly adopted feral( 3 months indoors):working with him one year outside comes immediately when I snap my fingers and I'm moving onto calling his name without finger snapping.... Such a long process but I've found there's certain things you can help them to move along with meeting half way,if you know what I mean- lol

It's delightful to hear yet another wonderful success story of a rescue kitty who simply needed to be loved and has found just the right person that has plenty of love to give.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cece is very pretty,she looks like a very sweet,elegant little lady❤
I've not read all these pages but your OP and then the last few so forgive me if it was already suggested-of course it's not really the time to do anything new with a move,the most important thing is for her to get comfortable with new territory( thank goodness she's already very familiar with you and trusting of you)

Anyway,I was wondering if you try your hand ( closed) by her face and neck while she's eating- throughout the years it has always been my initial point of contact with ferals and strays who've never had contact with a human.... I begin,of course with food & tapping the dish with my fingernail ( tic tic tic),watch them eat and bring the dish closer and closer to me each day tapping until they approach with my finger tapping and then I brush the back of my hand across their face.....

The tapping serves 2 purposes,the call to eat ,later on I snap my fingers to train "come," without food and also to relate the hand to something already pleasurable ( eating)

Anyway,thought I'd share one of my methods with ferals that has served me well.... My own newly adopted feral( 3 months indoors):working with him one year outside comes immediately when I snap my fingers and I'm moving onto calling his name without finger snapping.... Such a long process but I've found there's certain things you can help them to move along with meeting half way,if you know what I mean- lol

It's delightful to hear yet another wonderful success story of a rescue kitty who simply needed to be loved and has found just the right person that has plenty of love to give.
Thank you for the kind words! I had not heard of the tapping method, what a great idea! Cece has only allowed me to touch her once, it was her move towards my hand. When I use the bath brush to pretend per her, I always say ‘Mommy pet you’ over and over. She absolutely loves the bath brush but is always aware and watching my hand holding it. I watch her body language and her movements to determine her anxiety level so that I am careful not to overstep and undo her trust. She so wants to be loved, she rolls around purring and reaching to me when she is willing to come out of her cubby but any signs of my hand and she will swipe🤣. I hold my fist out or just let my hand hang out near her when using the bath brush to see if she will associate it with the brushing. Slow going with Cece but seeing how far she has come makes my heart happy to know she is finding comfort here.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the kind words! I had not heard of the tapping method, what a great idea! Cece has only allowed me to touch her once, it was her move towards my hand. When I use the bath brush to pretend per her, I always say ‘Mommy pet you’ over and over. She absolutely loves the bath brush but is always aware and watching my hand holding it. I watch her body language and her movements to determine her anxiety level so that I am careful not to overstep and undo her trust. She so wants to be loved, she rolls around purring and reaching to me when she is willing to come out of her cubby but any signs of my hand and she will swipe🤣. I hold my fist out or just let my hand hang out near her when using the bath brush to see if she will associate it with the brushing. Slow going with Cece but seeing how far she has come makes my heart happy to know she is finding comfort here.
Arms and hands are perceived very differently through a cats eyes
"-what pray tell are those long tentacles with 5"inch claws ,nah,not gonna find out"

It's good your getting her used to "objects""and things like brushing etc.... all very positive,useful and encouraging to solidify "trust" but & I'm a little hesitant to say because I do know many many professionals thst use the extension methods,I for one don't- for getting them accustomed to being brushed -definitely and also to stimulate safe play but I don't believe it's as effective as good ole "grazing" just as cats graze by one another to say" okay,I like you"

Does she graze your legs yet? If she does she's certainly ready for you to graze back ---while kitty is eating is the best time to take advantage of your opportunity to graze( brush by nonchalantly)

So when she smacks your hand I'm gonna guess her claws are not exposed? Try a very light,little wisp of a graze at first- even use your wrist/forearm at first if you want to try -Cats are very aware where the weapons are and that it's safe away from the daggers,lol Might be why cats graze one another instead of shaking hands( just kidding,haha)

Everyone uses their own methods,I start with touch right away and quite a few times I've been a little sliced, diced and bitten but it goes with the job of handling ferals ,doesn't it?But I can tell you that once you get them over thst hurdle they'll be coming around for more....

It's a pleasure talking with you, you've come far with CeCe and you're patient-I know your dying to pet her and this may help her overcome her reluctancy to approach the hand--Truly,I've met owners that have had ferals 3& 4 yrs and would still be waiting for the cat to make the first move. Someone fed my Timmy outside for 6yrs and never got near him,he raised his paw many a times with me or turned quicky when I grazed him but it's a fast graze is all at first until they ignore it and then you're on your way......I used to be much faster than them but now I'm old-lol.... you certainly seem to understand body language so I think you'll do well

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Arms and hands are perceived very differently through a cats eyes
"-what pray tell are those long tentacles with 5"inch claws ,nah,not gonna find out"

It's good your getting her used to "objects""and things like brushing etc.... all very positive,useful and encouraging to solidify "trust" but & I'm a little hesitant to say because I do know many many professionals thst use the extension methods,I for one don't- for getting them accustomed to being brushed -definitely and also to stimulate safe play but I don't believe it's as effective as good ole "grazing" just as cats graze by one another to say" okay,I like you"

Does she graze your legs yet? If she does she's certainly ready for you to graze back ---while kitty is eating is the best time to take advantage of your opportunity to graze( brush by nonchalantly)

So when she smacks your hand I'm gonna guess her claws are not exposed? Try a very light,little wisp of a graze at first- even use your wrist/forearm at first if you want to try -Cats are very aware where the weapons are and that it's safe away from the daggers,lol Might be why cats graze one another instead of shaking hands( just kidding,haha)

Everyone uses their own methods,I start with touch right away and quite a few times I've been a little sliced, diced and bitten but it goes with the job of handling ferals ,doesn't it?But I can tell you that once you get them over thst hurdle they'll be coming around for more....

It's a pleasure talking with you, you've come far with CeCe and you're patient-I know your dying to pet her and this may help her overcome her reluctancy to approach the hand--Truly,I've met owners that have had ferals 3& 4 yrs and would still be waiting for the cat to make the first move. Someone fed my Timmy outside for 6yrs and never got near him,he raised his paw many a times with me or turned quicky when I grazed him but it's a fast graze is all at first until they ignore it and then you're on your way......I used to be much faster than them but now I'm old-lol.... you certainly seem to understand body language so I think you'll do well
I can’t thank you enough for the great suggestions, so much to still learn and I genuinely appreciate all feedback to help me and Cece along ☺I will definitely try this grazing, Cece has only grazed my legs twice so far, very recently, she doesn’t normally eat when I am in the room however we have ‘treat time’ in the evening and I have gotten her to eat them right in front of my legs. I will use that opportunity to try grazing. She is such a sweet girl, she has so much love waiting to share, I know eventually she will find her happy comfort zone. She may always hide away during the day and that is ok, as long as she is comfortable I can accept what she offers. I know the move will be scary for her and I will do everything I can to make it feel like her home again. My husband and I actually insisted on a 2 bedroom so that she can still have her space as long as she needs it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t thank you enough for the great suggestions, so much to still learn and I genuinely appreciate all feedback to help me and Cece along ☺I will definitely try this grazing, Cece has only grazed my legs twice so far, very recently, she doesn’t normally eat when I am in the room however we have ‘treat time’ in the evening and I have gotten her to eat them right in front of my legs. I will use that opportunity to try grazing. She is such a sweet girl, she has so much love waiting to share, I know eventually she will find her happy comfort zone. She may always hide away during the day and that is ok, as long as she is comfortable I can accept what she offers. I know the move will be scary for her and I will do everything I can to make it feel like her home again. My husband and I actually insisted on a 2 bedroom so that she can still have her space as long as she needs it.
Big props to you both for that!
I've moved a lot, most times with cats. My tried and true formula is to get the cats situated in a room with the door closed, with their litterbox/es, food and water, a scratcher, maybe a couple of toys, their open carriers, and soft music is good, too, like classical (KUSC.org streams globally). I drew diagrams on the last 2 locations so the movers would know where everything went, and my ex supervised to some extent. The cats came on the last trip, with me. The movers were of course not allowed in that room, or to open the door. They went right into another closed room set up with everything they needed, and when everything was in the house and the movers left, we could let them out into the house (our cats were indoor-only, of course).

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is awesome! I am lucky that I will be able to set up her room the same way it is now for her. I saved two blankets that she uses and will be bringing them to the new place tomorrow for her room so that her scent is in the room when we move in 2 weeks. The new place will be so much quieter for her, right now we are on a very busy road, the new place is a quiet dead end street. She will always be an indoor girl now that I have her but at least now when I open the windows she will not hear all that traffic noise.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems your hubby is a great guy-I like him already,lol👍

Yes,the move and her familiarizing with "it" will take president so wherever you'll be feeding her you might want to try hanging around -kitties are pretty distracted by food and it's a very opportune time to start handling..... then they do associate your hands with something pleasurable and it's easy to begin petting

Also,if I might add .. keep in mind thst always ending "anything" on a good note is important- alot of people don't understand thst the amount of time doing something is not important but a positive result is,no matter how brief as long as it's " positive" then the amount of time will increase gradually and not beyond kitty's level of comfort ...Cats have a very short attention span,best to work with them while you have their attention and not beyond- this also goes the other way,to do things while they are distracted and not when their focus is on what you are doing- follow?

I do hope the suggestions are helpful for you-she sounds like a wonderful cat to work with,she's made her first moves to show you thst she "accepts" you( grazing your legs) -these are positive moments,doesn't matter thst they are brief.... then it's your turn,lol .. That's how cats speak to one another-grazing each other is acceptance( their sides)like "family"... you eventually want to stroke their sides ,saying" we are family"

:petcat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, I will grab more photos today for you ☺
We can't wait! Sounds like you have a great new home and have everything well planned for the move. Kwik Kwik has great suggestions on working while cats are distracted -- this is my MO for clipping scaredy Elvis' claws. I wait until he's very relaxed, and give him loves, and then I try to get a few claws clipped. We're working on this gradually.