New to caring for a stray/feral and second-guessing myself and need some encouragement and support

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is Orville's shelter for the moment. It's now got a 1950's heavy, padded sleeping bag covering a blanket, rug and towel on the exterior and the interior has some foam insulation on the inside sides, top and a little on the bottom. The inside has the lid on the bottom with a rough outdoor rug, then a bath rug, then a soft cushiony pet bed that is covered with one of those plush blankets. The bed sits on some wood bead board planks that I placed on top of bricks to keep the bed off the concrete in case of water blowing in. He sleeps in it, and I suspect the colder it is the further back he goes, but he likes to keep his head outside most of the time.

I'm mostly concerned his FIV status will make him more susceptible to the health effects of winter weather and that is factoring into my decision of whether to bring him inside. He's very playful sometimes. This morning he was running up the steps to the door swatting at the glass, play-fighting with Chaucer through the crack I had for them, and then running around chasing the mini-mouse I tossed on the carport for him. He was leaping on top of his shelter - rocking it from his weight- and just overall playing.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His FIV status would definitely push me to bring him in if possible - winters are tough on them. But he's at least got it a lot better than a lot of poor strays/ferals - he's fed, and you pay attention to him, and he's warmer & drier than he could be! I keep telling myself that with my current "gang" of 5 neighborhood ferals we've TNR'd that have decided to basically become our outside kitties (we've got more than a houseful - and only one of these guys is nearing ready to possibly try indoors....so I'm working with the no-kill shelter I work with to bring her in when she's ready). We utilize a very small dogloo that we added insulation to, and two of the "double rubbermaid" houses (one rubbermaid bin set inside a larger rubbermaid bin, with straw or insulation in between the two, and a large hole with a small stretch of plastic piping coming in that they can easily enter), all of which have tons of straw and each has its own outdoor-rated electric heating cat heating mats. Those three are all outside tucked up against our garage. And thought maybe you could do what we use to block wind/rain/snow from coming in the  entries as much as possible - and I'd HIGHLY recommend this for as long as Orville needs to be outside if you can figure out how to attach it. We bought small rectangles of plexi-glass (clear plastic - - in all cases close to 12 x 18 inches was enough but cut a piece of cardboard to size to double check before you go buy the plexi - first time I bought one too small and couldn't return it). We then lean the plexi up in kind of an "a-frame" idea - putting it about 12 inches out from the structure at the bottom, then leaning it up against it at the top. For the dogloo we drilled holes in the plexi and the dogloo and ran zip ties through it where they leaned into each other at the top so the plexi wouldn't blow away In the rubbermaid shelters, I use bricks at the bottom and flex the plexi so that it fits up tightly under the lid rim, making the poleax kind of "bow out." In each case - the kitties seem to love it because they can sit and see out through the plexi, but it blocks the elements, and they can still escape around it. Hopefully that makes sense. I'll try to get a picture of one of them next time I'm outside.

You'll love what most of them have chosen instead though ----when the gang grew from 3 to 5 - in a panic one cold evening I added something similar to what you have....we crack our (unheated, sadly) detached garage door slightly so there's 24 hour a day access, and added one cardboard box that I covered in insulation, put up off the floor, then wrapped in straw AND a sleeping bag (great minds think alike right?) and added another outdoor cat heating pad to it plus straw and tucked a blanket at the back of the box since it's a large pad...and when another cat showed up middle of the night huddled inside, I threw our last outdoor heated mat on two blankets on the garage floor under a stack of lawn furniture that's in the garage for the winter, surrounded it with two wool blankets and straw on three sides to stop as much wind as possible coming in through the door. And those last two - which HAVE to be the coldest - are what gets used non-stop! Kind of cracks us up! 

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, what a sweet animal. It is amazing that he has such a rough life but is still such a  happy and playful guy. He is one special boy

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

His FIV status would definitely push me to bring him in if possible - winters are tough on them. But he's at least got it a lot better than a lot of poor strays/ferals - he's fed, and you pay attention to him, and he's warmer & drier than he could be! I keep telling myself that with my current "gang" of 5 neighborhood ferals we've TNR'd that have decided to basically become our outside kitties (we've got more than a houseful - and only one of these guys is nearing ready to possibly try indoors....so I'm working with the no-kill shelter I work with to bring her in when she's ready). We utilize a very small dogloo that we added insulation to, and two of the "double rubbermaid" houses (one rubbermaid bin set inside a larger rubbermaid bin, with straw or insulation in between the two, and a large hole with a small stretch of plastic piping coming in that they can easily enter), all of which have tons of straw and each has its own outdoor-rated electric heating cat heating mats. Those three are all outside tucked up against our garage. And thought maybe you could do what we use to block wind/rain/snow from coming in the  entries as much as possible - and I'd HIGHLY recommend this for as long as Orville needs to be outside if you can figure out how to attach it. We bought small rectangles of plexi-glass (clear plastic - - in all cases close to 12 x 18 inches was enough but cut a piece of cardboard to size to double check before you go buy the plexi - first time I bought one too small and couldn't return it). We then lean the plexi up in kind of an "a-frame" idea - putting it about 12 inches out from the structure at the bottom, then leaning it up against it at the top. For the dogloo we drilled holes in the plexi and the dogloo and ran zip ties through it where they leaned into each other at the top so the plexi wouldn't blow away In the rubbermaid shelters, I use bricks at the bottom and flex the plexi so that it fits up tightly under the lid rim, making the poleax kind of "bow out." In each case - the kitties seem to love it because they can sit and see out through the plexi, but it blocks the elements, and they can still escape around it. Hopefully that makes sense. I'll try to get a picture of one of them next time I'm outside.

You'll love what most of them have chosen instead though ----when the gang grew from 3 to 5 - in a panic one cold evening I added something similar to what you have....we crack our (unheated, sadly) detached garage door slightly so there's 24 hour a day access, and added one cardboard box that I covered in insulation, put up off the floor, then wrapped in straw AND a sleeping bag (great minds think alike right?) and added another outdoor cat heating pad to it plus straw and tucked a blanket at the back of the box since it's a large pad...and when another cat showed up middle of the night huddled inside, I threw our last outdoor heated mat on two blankets on the garage floor under a stack of lawn furniture that's in the garage for the winter, surrounded it with two wool blankets and straw on three sides to stop as much wind as possible coming in through the door. And those last two - which HAVE to be the coldest - are what gets used non-stop! Kind of cracks us up! 
Underneath all those blankets and stuff is the rubbermaid house. Unfortunately, my carport is open on two sides as you can see from the picture.  I definitely like the plexi-gass/igloo idea. I think I could use the plexi-glass for a top for the old swamp cooler,too. Orville does not want to go inside something without a large opening but I suspect that if he gets cold enough he would do it. I've noticed when it gets into the high 20's in the  morning that he is well under all that covering.  Orville sleeps on top of the rubbermaid house sometimes when it's cold outside to me! Cats can be so silly! My electrician's wife told me that I should consider one of those portable heating/cooling units for my storage room. They can be installed in a window or in a hole cut high in the wall. I'm considering this because I'd like to turn that room into an office anyway.Her sister has the units in her storage room that was built especially for stray cats and her own dogs.It has two rooms with separate entrance - one for dogs and one for cats.

I don't think Orville and Chaucer are using their claws to play through the door's crack, or if they do it's not often. I've watched their paws and haven't seen any claw extension very much. There's no hissing or growling either and only the occasional puffed up tail and back on Chaucer. Orville really is a great cat.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just an update:  Orville is still outside. He doesn't want to come in and runs out door the if I put him down in the house. Yes, I can pick him up and carry him around a little. He has not been sleeping inside his tub/bed but rather sleeps on top of it. It's been a flooding rain here and still goes out in it, but I wish he would not.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Theres nothing wrong with forcing him to stay inside. You can make that decision for him, he is your cat. And he will be better off.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Updating here and in the FIV topic -

I am trying a take on the exchange spaces thing.  Today, I put Chaucer in his carrier,took him outside, left him in his carrier and let him interact with Orville in Orville's territory. The carrier is a handmade one that is half wire and half wood/particle board. It's very sturdy.  I left Chaucer out there for about 10 minutes. He and Orville seemed just fine - they touched noses, Orville walked a little distance away and rolled around on the carport. Chaucer sat in the carrier, then paced around a little. No growling; no hissing; no puffed-up tails or ridged backs for either one. Orville got into a "pounce crouch"  but didn't pounce. It turns out he wanted to play because I brought out his mini-mouse and tossed it. He jumped around playing with it in front of Chaucer, and then I dragged his green ribbon around and he chased it. Chaucer was not all that interested. Orville swatted the carrier but no claws. I would like to try this for a few days before I try the opposite and get Orville inside in his crate. 

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that was a great idea!!! I really sounds like they will get along. I really hope they do, Orville is such a beautiful cat

gailhunt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

​This is my first time on the site. I came to it because I, too, have a new feral in my home and am also wondering if I did the right thing! I was also feeding my feral and felt that I now had responsibility for her. I discovered her outside of my office and although it took a year and a half, she eventually was willing to come into my office after work where she ate and slept.

She rubbed against my legs and came up to me as I sat at my computer, wanting lots of rubbing. However, she was quite frightened at being picked up. I began staying aft work later and later so she could safely sleep but that was becoming a problem. i sometimes got home after midnight.

Last week, despite being in California, the weather turned very cold. She never slept in the "house" I made for her outside and i worried when the temperature dropped into the 30s.

So, she is home with me and my other four cats now. This is our third day. i am also concerned. She is hiding under the bed and only comes out to eat and to use the litter box. Our former relationship has disintegrated. The sites I have been going to talk about bringing ferals or strays home before you have a trusting relationship with them and how to build that trust  after they are in your house. You and I have a different situation whereby the trust we thought we had built seems to have disappeared. 

I want to believe that the trust will come back, albeit slowly. I think that that will happen for you, too. I do not know what happened at the vet, but the vet must have been a frightening experience for her. She seemed to be coming around when you had the incident with the contractor and the laundry room and your second cat. Everything you describe happening after that with your two cats makes sense. 

Your new cat was probably very upset at being confined in the small laundry room (ferals, I know hate to be confined and any cat who was roaming about I think would feel the same.) Sp you, and I, have had some setbacks. I hope that with gentleness and kindness, our cats will find their way to trusting us again.

I could use some support, too, and hope that you let me know how things go. It would be nice to hear from you.

Best of luck,

Gail

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Hello,

​This is my first time on the site. I came to it because I, too, have a new feral in my home and am also wondering if I did the right thing! I was also feeding my feral and felt that I now had responsibility for her. I discovered her outside of my office and although it took a year and a half, she eventually was willing to come into my office after work where she ate and slept.

She rubbed against my legs and came up to me as I sat at my computer, wanting lots of rubbing. However, she was quite frightened at being picked up. I began staying aft work later and later so she could safely sleep but that was becoming a problem. i sometimes got home after midnight.

Last week, despite being in California, the weather turned very cold. She never slept in the "house" I made for her outside and i worried when the temperature dropped into the 30s.

So, she is home with me and my other four cats now. This is our third day. i am also concerned. She is hiding under the bed and only comes out to eat and to use the litter box. Our former relationship has disintegrated. The sites I have been going to talk about bringing ferals or strays home before you have a trusting relationship with them and how to build that trust  after they are in your house. You and I have a different situation whereby the trust we thought we had built seems to have disappeared. 

I want to believe that the trust will come back, albeit slowly. I think that that will happen for you, too. I do not know what happened at the vet, but the vet must have been a frightening experience for her. She seemed to be coming around when you had the incident with the contractor and the laundry room and your second cat. Everything you describe happening after that with your two cats makes sense. 

Your new cat was probably very upset at being confined in the small laundry room (ferals, I know hate to be confined and any cat who was roaming about I think would feel the same.) Sp you, and I, have had some setbacks. I hope that with gentleness and kindness, our cats will find their way to trusting us again.

I could use some support, too, and hope that you let me know how things go. It would be nice to hear from you.

Best of luck,

Gail
Thank you, Gail!  This site has been so helpful. I've gotten lots of wonderful support and advice over the past two years. Yes, I've been dealing with this for that long!  One thing about this thread is that it deals with two different cats. I don't know if you have read the first part of this lengthy thread, but Henryetta was my first rescue feral/stray. She didn't love the laundry room, but I think she was so happy she was being cared for that she adjusted pretty easily. She was pregnant so perhaps she was"thinking of her kittens" and was more agreeable than she might have been. She most likely had human contact before this, either people just feeding her or as a pet, but I'm thinking it was the former. The people across the street abandoned their home and suddenly I had several cats around. I saw her over there just sitting on their driveway one day and decided to take over a small plate of food that one time. Little did I know that this would start all of this. I told a friend that I thought I'd found my Henry James (the name I'd picked for another cat should I decided to get one) and when I learned Torties/Torbies are mostly female, it became Henryetta James.

Orville is my second feral rescue, and whether he has had other human contact is debatable. He's a giant Tabby - who is at least  twice the size of my indoor male Chaucer. (The gray cat in my avatar). He's been a little more challenging. It took him nearly 10 months before I could pet him, but once I was able, he turned into a gentle cat.

I was really concerned that I would lose Orville's trust once I caught him and took him to the vet, even though people here assured me he would return if he ran away.  He didn't run away. I let him out of the crate and he rubbed around my legs, waiting for me to feed him. He's turned into a big lovable Teddy Bear now. I can pick him up and carry him around a little, but I'm concerned about his FIV and bringing him around my FIV negative cats who live in the house.

I think you are doing just fine with your cat. It will just take a little time for your cat to get used to the new surroundings. I'm expecting that sort of thing if and when I bring Orville inside - not the loss of trust, but just big adjustments. I think he might not want to be an inside cat, but when it gets cold I do want to bring him in.

And he's such a big cat!  I thought Henryetta was big.  Orville has nearly collapsed the top of his shelter simply by jumping up on his and lying on it. It's definitely sunk down a bit.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update on Orville (and I put this in the FIV thread as well). That's him lying on the floor in my den.

So, I decided that I'd try putting Henryetta in the crate and Chaucer (unseen behind the rocker) in his carrier. I opened the door, left some cat treats by the door and then stood back and tossed some in the room, leaving the door open so he could escape. In came Orville.   He and Chaucer touched noses and Chaucer did nothing but sit there.  Orville and Henryetta touched noses and she hissed and growled. This is typical for her as she hisses and growls at Chaucer several times a day when she is not in the mood for him.

No, Orville is not living in the house now. I want him to feel comfortable. It seems that his main barrier to coming inside was he knew two cats lived here and he respected their territory. He needed to see them and at the same time know they were not going to attack him.  I'm sure that when he came in before, he sensed them but couldn't see them because they were shut in the bedroom and was waiting for a possible attack.   The other thing I tried briefly was putting Chaucer in his embarrassing hoodie/harnass-leash. (Hey, it was the black/white cat skull and crossbones harnass-leash or a bright pink one when I went to Walmart to purchase something for a cat.) Chaucer loves going for walks outside so when Orville went outside, I took Chaucer out. Nothing happened. Orville watched Chaucer from the top of his shelter and then settled onto his sleeping bag. Chaucer sniffed around the stairs.

My only concern now is trying to come up with where I can keep Orville for a while once he decides to stay and trusts me (and them) enough, and I trust him enough,  to live in the house. He is scared of the television even if the sound is off so I know he has never lived in a house. (Henryetta was afraid of the flushing toilet sound, by the way.)  I did have to say "No" loudly to him when he started to sharpen his claws on that antique rocker to the right of the picture!  It's a satin-silk covering. Henry and Chaucer leave the antiques alone for the most part, but Orville.....he's big and can do some damage.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a beautiful cat and based on his behaviour a really sweet boy. He looks to be in great shape. How old is he?

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chaucer is 3.5 years-old.  He's very lean-looking, weighs 9.3 pounds, has long legs and a long tail, and he walks like a panther. Chaucer was 4 months old when I got him at the local shelter.  He's very playful and very social with both cats and humans.

gailhunt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope I am responding in the right place.

Thank you so much for responding to me. I really appreciate the time and effort. I am a bit encouraged. I paid attention to The suggestions on this site and just lay on the floor and read a book out loud. She came out from under the bed to eat some food which she had not done with me in the room. Later, I came in with some treats and she was at the edge of the bed rather than in the far corner. I don't know if what I did next is considered OK by the group and actually would love to hear feedback on it, I gave her a tiny bit of catnip.

Wow what a difference! She rolled on her back showing me the underside of her neck. I rubbed that for at least 20 minutes while she purred.

I don't know if I should repeat that or if getting this to happen without the catnip is the higher goal? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You are to be applauded for bringing in two ferals! Good luck with the new one. I have no doubt that you will be successful. And thank you for telling me that it took 10 months with your other one before he became cuddly.

Once she begins to let me pet her what is the next step? How do I introduced her to the rest of the house and my other cats?

I don't feel as alone now. Thank you again,

Gail

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope I am responding in the right place.

Thank you so much for responding to me. I really appreciate the time and effort. I am a bit encouraged. I paid attention to The suggestions on this site and just lay on the floor and read a book out loud. She came out from under the bed to eat some food which she had not done with me in the room. Later, I came in with some treats and she was at the edge of the bed rather than in the far corner. I don't know if what I did next is considered OK by the group and actually would love to hear feedback on it, I gave her a tiny bit of catnip.

Wow what a difference! She rolled on her back showing me the underside of her neck. I rubbed that for at least 20 minutes while she purred.

I don't know if I should repeat that or if getting this to happen without the catnip is the higher goal? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You are to be applauded for bringing in two ferals! Good luck with the new one. I have no doubt that you will be successful. And thank you for telling me that it took 10 months with your other one before he became cuddly.

Once she begins to let me pet her what is the next step? How do I introduced her to the rest of the house and my other cats?

I don't feel as alone now. Thank
Great news that she came out from under the bed, is rolling on her back, and purring!  I'd say keep doing what you are doing and lessening the amount of catnip/treats so that eventually, she will just to be petted.It might be helpful for you to post a thread in the Ferals forum about your cat. It's possible you might get more responses, although I am happy to help answer any questions I can. I'm so glad I was able to help you feel more comfortable. I know how worrisome it is to take on a feral/semi-feral for the first time. I'm still having issues with my second one.

Yes, I have "tamed" two adult ferals/semi-ferals. It did not take but a couple of months with Henryetta, but she was a special case because she went into heat and then became pregnant, which, I think made her a little more loving quicker, and she was semi-feral because I believe the neighbors across the street had been feeding her and some other cats who lived in the crawl-space under their house. These people moved off and left her and probably others who were almost tame. Unfortunately, she was reverting in the two or three months following their move.  I did not know the people because I'd moved in just a few months prior to them moving so all I know was that I saw a couple of cats over there with them.  Orville is a different matter. If he was one of the cats over there, it's been two years since he's had any human contact so he was more feral by this point.

I've been fortunate because my two former neighborhood cats would come around and eat. I have a sliding glass and sliding screen door leading out to the carport so the cats got acquainted that way. Orville, though, is not exhibiting the great desire to come inside even though it is getting very cold out.  Both Henryetta and Orville presented/present different challenges with introductions. Henryetta was pregnant and "met" Chaucer physically in the house when I brought her back from the vet. She was scared when he jumped her (in play, I think now). Orville has FIV so that presents some other issues. There cannot be any real fighting. I don't expect it seeing as how they interact, but I'm still cautious. Orville isn't sure about moving in the house either and I don't want to force it.

gailhunt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow. If I were a stray cat or a Farrell, I hope I would be near your house! What an angel of mercy you are. Thank heavens for these little angels that you are there.
It is upsetting to hear that the neighbors, who were feeding several cats, just left without notifying anyone and then left these cats in the lurch. How horrible for those kitties.
We hear all the time about people who move and just leave their pets. It is hard for me to understand how someone could do that. And it breaks my heart for the pets who are left. Cats at least can hunt. Dogs have a real problem.

I wanted to thank you for your reply and to give you an update. Also, I will post on the Cat site as you suggested. I had an appointment to take her to the vet today but my body language must have screamed VET because she would not come out from under the bed. So we are rescheduled for Friday.
After we see the vet and get clearance, I don't have a clue what to do next. I will ask that in in my post but if you have any thoughts, I would welcome them.
Thank you again for your help
Gail

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great news, Gail!  After I brought Henryetta to live in the house, I just let her live in it with Chaucer, but they already had a history from visiting through the glass door and then later in-person in the storage room where I took him to play with the last remaining kitten.

With Orville, I'm not so sure what I will do but I did have some encouragement things will go okay:

Wish I'd had the camera handy just now.  I put some flaked tuna (cat food) on a plate for Orville and decided to set in the den. I opened the door, showed it to Orville, and then in walked Orville to eat it just as Chaucer walked into the room from the kitchen. I watched and Chaucer walked up to the plate. Orville stopped eating and laid down next to the plate and then he stood and both he and Chaucer both stuck their heads next to each other in the plate! I went to get a separate plate for Orville. Both sniffed each other as they ate, but they didn't eat a lot.

After the food get-acquainted, Chaucer walked to the living room and Orville followed. I let Orville explore and Chaucer just let him.  Henryetta, however, hissed at Orville and growled when he tried to approach her and he left her alone.  Orville stopped to sniff the cats' food bowl in the kitchen, took a bite and moved on. He stopped near the laundry room where the litter boxes are but didn't go in.  After that Orville wandered over to his food plate and I opened the door and out he went. I took his food outside then.  I still don't want him to feel trapped. The weather is turning much colder next week so I'm hoping Orville will start coming in, even if it is just in/out for now, since he sees he's okay in the house with Chaucer, but I don't think I want them all to be left alone together, and I don't feel comfortable keeping Orville out in the house to roam around if I'm not around. Too many breakables and things that he could damage if he got upset!

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Chaucer is in the crate. Orville is playing with the stuffed kitty.

Orville and Henryetta.

These were taken this morning. Orville is still not an indoor cat. He comes inside for an hour in the morning. right now. I am hopeful.