New to caring for a stray/feral and second-guessing myself and need some encouragement and support

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Orville is a smart cat.  This morning, after putting his dry food outside and another small plate for my neighbor's elderly spayed female who doesn't seem to have an indoor shelter, I put the wet food on a plate just inside the door for Orville so he would come inside to eat. Nope. Door open, letting in 20-something degree temperature, Chaucer ate in front of him and Orville just sat outside on the steps looking. He knows that I will shut the door behind him if he comes in now.  : (

I do not understand why my neighbors let their two cats just wander like this. Both cats are spayed, but I was told that the one was old and had had lots of kittens. An elderly cat needs care and shouldn't be out in freezing weather. My neighbor is elderly and has her daughter/family living with her. They have two fluffy, pampered little dogs but these two cats look pretty rough, although they are pretty chubby.

misskittymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help also!!! A beautiful female ( i believe to be older ) has shown up. I also believe she belonged to someone ( but maybe (abused). I dont know if she pregnant. I could feel a "lump" on each side, now a month later i dont and n o kittens here. I draw disability and very limited on funds, no problem with feeding her tho. Ive made a nesting box, food & water beside it. Enclosed pictures, is she pregnant? Would be grateful for any info! Thanks. Ive named her miss kitty.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Miss KittyMom, first, thank you for taking care of this beautiful cat.  Second,  I'm no expert, but she should have gotten bigger in the next month if she was pregnant. She may have been pregnant and lost the kittens.  If you look back in this thread, you will see how my former feral/stray Henryetta looked during her pregnancy.  My former feral male Orville has bulging sides.  My neighbor thought he was female and pregnant!  The bulging is fat and he had worms. He's just finished being treated for tapeworms.

You might want to start a topic about your beautiful little Siamese-mix kitty in this forum or in the Pregnancy/Kittens one and see what others have to say.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
o kittens here. I draw disability and very limited on funds, no problem with feeding her tho. Ive made a nesting box, food & water beside it. Enclosed pictures, is she pregnant? Would be grateful for any info! Thanks. Ive named her miss kitty.
She is beautiful, thank you for taking her in and giving her a loving home. You are a very kind person

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

How is our big bud Orville doing?
Orville is doing just fine, but the indoor thing may not work.  He challenges Chaucer whether in play or for territory.  It may be a jealousy thing over me  as well. If Chaucer stands his ground rather than running off, Chaucer is rewarded with a swat and then reacts with a loud screech-meow and has a fluffed up tail and back. Orville doesn't do either of the latter things. " Orville's size is very intimidating to Chaucer, I'm afraid.I stopped Orville  from clawing on a silk chair just by saying "Hey" and "No.

I'm beginning to think that Orville was sort of abandoned along with Henryetta since I believe them to be littermates, but Orville spent nearly a couple of years without human interaction, whereas Henryetta was just a few months before I started feeding her.  It's pretty clear neither Orville nor Henryetta were ever indoor cats, although she has adjusted very well and doesn't want out even if he door get left open to let Orville inside.

I've read that male cats are pretty hard-wired to be nice to females, but in this case it is kind of sad. While he is afraid of being trapped indoors, he sits outside the sliding-glass door looking in much of the time He does this at all the picture windows in the back if I'm in the rooms.  When I open the glass door and sit down inside, he stretches out on the step. He just wants to be near me but is not comfortable with that happening in the house. Henryetta is needy like this too, but she has gotten better about this in the past year.

Last edited:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let everyone know that Orville has decided he wants to be a house cat.  He has been coming inside regularly for breakfast and staying to play with toys. The other day he came back in at noon and I eventually let him out at 5:30.  He doesn't use the litter box and until he does, he cannot stay inside at night. Henryetta isn't his biggest fan and hisses and growls at him, but he just walks off from her. He likes to play with Chaucer. Chaucer's verdict is still out on that!  I am still concerned about the transmission of FIV to my indoor pair, particularly to Chaucer who eats breakfast with him, but Orville is such a loving cat and I can't turn him out. I don't leave him inside when I leave the house because there is no place to keep him secured and I'm the one who doesn't quite trust him inside. He likes me to where he is so if I'm not here he leaves the yard. Inside, he may get a little nuts if I'm not here.

Orville isn't really huge. He's just fat because he eats everything he can. I am giving him and Henryetta a "diet" dry cat food. That's difficult because Chaucer is very lean and needs extra calories. Chaucer is also picky and he has an intestinal problem that is probably colitis.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have been focusing on the FIV topic I started because my new cat Orville is FIV + and I've been focusing on that in relation to my FIV - cats.  Here is the update: 

Orville has been living full time in the house for the past week. He's done really, really well and has picked up the routine quickly. He's a gentle, loving, playful cat and gets along with Chaucer. He'd like to get along with Henryetta, but so far she rebuffs his friendly overtures. Orville is not giving up though. He follows her, tries to lie next to her and wants to be her friend.  Orville has been given a good bill of health from the vet -good teeth, no parasites, no worms.  He's 12 pounds 10 oz, which suits him. He's micro-chipped now, too.  Since he adapted so well and so quickly to the house, and he knows the words "No," "Down," and "Hey," it is clear that he was not feral. He's clearly been a house cat at some point.  I just hope I didn't take someone's outdoor pet, but as he vet receptionist said, I'm not to worry about that as he is better off with me. I can't think anyone with a pet cat would let him wander around with a possibly broken, but definitely hurt, foot he couldn't put down for a week or two, nor would they let him have wounds untreated. He was also about 7 pounds or so when I started feeding him.

Thank you all for your interest, support and advice for the past two years on my rescues. I couldn't have done this without you or this site.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well done! Fab news. I agree he is much better off with you, I'm sure he thinks so too. :lol3: keep us posted on his progress and with more pictures of all three of them :vibes:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
o kittens here. I draw disability and very limited on funds, no problem with feeding her tho. Ive made a nesting box, food & water beside it. Enclosed pictures, is she pregnant? Would be grateful for any info! Thanks. Ive named her miss kitty.
how is she doing?

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You mean you took the pregnant cat to the vet and they gave her vaccs, sedation and worming? You cannot worm a pregnant cat.

It can hurt the pregnancy, I have never heard of that, I had 6 litters of cats in my home, and put the cat in a separate safe room. Do

not try to socialize this cat with your pet, she can fight, bit and if she has FeLV/FIV, bordatella/ parasites you are putting your pet at risk.

I have a stray who has Bordatella and with one bite, he can spread the disease.

You are doing a good dead by taking care of her, can you put the mother cat in your bedroom and have your kitty have the rest of the house?

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You mean you took the pregnant cat to the vet and they gave her vaccs, sedation and worming? You cannot worm a pregnant cat.

It can hurt the pregnancy, I have never heard of that, I had 6 litters of cats in my home, and put the cat in a separate safe room. Do

not try to socialize this cat with your pet, she can fight, bit and if she has FeLV/FIV, bordatella/ parasites you are putting your pet at risk.

I have a stray who has Bordatella and with one bite, he can spread the disease.

You are doing a good dead by taking care of her, can you put the mother cat in your bedroom and have your kitty have the rest of the house?
Thank you for your input.  I wanted to let you know that  this topic  started two years ago. I know, I'm long-winded and I put both my rescued neighborhood cat things in the same topic so it may be confusing. To answer your question: Yes, when Henryetta walked into the carrier on her own, I took her to the vet. I had been hesitant about trapping her because I'd never taken in a stray/feral/semi-feral.  I knew I was going to have to do something because she was pregnant.  She didn't act well and I thought maybe she had lost the kittens so it was then or never I thought.  The vet was not in, but his receptionist was there and I had to leave the kitty overnight, which was okay with me.  I told the receptionist that I knew he couldn't give her a rabies shot, but I'd like a blood test for FIV and FeLV.  The vet called the next day to tell me he'd done the shots (rabies, etc) and  all the other things. I was concerned but he felt it wouldn't hurt the kittens as she not in the first part of pregnancy. Needless to say, I worried the entire pregnancy, called another vet who told me it wasn't the norm, but that it wouldn't hurt, consulted all my medical professional friends (wasn't I a nervous grandmother!). I was so afraid something would be wrong with the kittens and had all sort of awful thoughts about it.  Thankfully, the kittens were perfect and healthy and Henryetta was a wonderful mother to them. All were adopted by friends and the mother is now a happy, spayed, fat indoor cat and fairly quickly got along with Chaucer, but I must say that they had visited through the door and later in the storage room  for 10 months before she moved in the house. I use a different vet now.

My new cat, Orville, visited through the door with Chaucer for a year and had a few supervised visits before he moved in just 8 days ago. Henryetta is learning to tolerate him, but I think they will be friends later. I didn't separate Orville at all. I watched him with my neighbor's cats - friendly. Sadly, I think both Orville and Henryetta were abandoned house cats because of their personalities are that way, and because they both adapted quickly and easily in the house.  I also think they are related to each other and might be from the same house or might be litter mates. Orville has FIV, but is now neutered, checked out and is otherwise healthy. Now it's just the challenge of having three cats in the house! 

Last edited: