New Here With Newly Adopted Adult Cat, Frankie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's only gone in the box for #2 yesterday morning after I nudged him towards the box. I may have carried him a little bit too but he went right in and produced a small #2. So, he only peed in the two boxes when they were both in there.

Prior to confinement he also used the two boxes for both, just depended on where he was at the time he needed to go. They were one in the kitchen and another box in the basement, so two different levels.

He is doing OK otherwise. This morning was the first time he was on the floor when I went to feed him because his usual sleeping spot (the sink) had poop in it.....and he was trying to get out. But, he still lights up for us when we arrive to feed/visit/play with him. He is very playful and purrs often, especially when he's eating while we're in there with him.

And at least this morning's poop was NOT loose so easy clean-up.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe it is time to move him to a new more roomy confinement spot, if such a place exists in your home? If he more or less back to good health, the confinement in such a small area could be contributing to this behavior. Just throwing ideas out there...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry you feel that you can't do this anymore. If that is truly what you feel in your heart and gut, please check vets and rescue center (no kill) that could take him, and give him a home that can better deal with his issues. Whatever you do, please let us know.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was an icky day yesterday with Frankie peeing on the floor of the bathroom. Hubby thinks that was because he forgot to feed him at lunch. He was 2-3 hours late? And now I'm even more glad that we chose this room to confine him in: easier clean up!!

then he peed on the floor again and that was my fault because I wasn't thinking. I thought I could quickly change the litter while he was eating. Wrong!!! So back to this morning and he peed in the box after breakfast. High praise and treats. Later while hubby was visiting with him, Frankie got into the box, scratched a couple of times with his paws in the litter, then quickly hopped out of the box and into the sink where he started pooping!! Hubby saw what was happening and put him back in the box where Frankie finished up. More high praise and treats.

But why does he prefer the sink? Clean it again and hope for the best? I think I might call the behavior people at the humane society again and see if they have any ideas.

So, I'm feeling a bit more hopeful today. I really want this to work out!! He is really a darling boy!! Oh, btw, we adopted him from the humane society and initially they gave us 60 days to return him if things didn't work out. I got them to extend that to 90 days since we basically had to start over at about 3 weeks. Hoping with a little more time he'll figure it out.

Tonight marks a week since we started confinement. I keep reminding him how great it's going to be when we can finally let him out :yess:

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
shucks, I lost my support team......

would love any input. thanks in advance.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You didn't lose support. It's just that others, if they are like me, are thinking and re-thinking potential solutions, and haven't come up with any new ones.

I guess if you could make-shift a litterbox that would fit in the sink (with litter in it) and see if Frankie would use it that way - or drive him back to the actual litter box??

As far as peeing outside the litterbox, just watch it to make sure that is not going to become a new behavior. And, make the area(s) where he has peed are thoroughly cleaned to prevent recurrent accidents in the same area.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Tobyo - I was just reading through your posts and it sounds like you have experienced quite the Saga with Frankie. The thing that stood out to me most was his health problems with crystals, and possibly stress. I have found in the past that it is really hard to retrain litter box habits while a cat is sick. Has your vet given you an approximate timeline for how long it will take Frankie's crystals to dissolve on the new diet? When does she want to schedule the recheck for?

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. You didn't lose support. It's just that others, if they are like me, are thinking and re-thinking potential solutions, and haven't come up with any new ones.

I guess if you could make-shift a litterbox that would fit in the sink (with litter in it) and see if Frankie would use it that way - or drive him back to the actual litter box??

As far as peeing outside the litterbox, just watch it to make sure that is not going to become a new behavior. And, make the area(s) where he has peed are thoroughly cleaned to prevent recurrent accidents in the same area.
Thank you. I am not sure about a make-shift litterbox in the sink because he's sleeping in the sink. I think the peeing outside the litter box was because hubby forgot to feed him. He's usually good about peeing in the box, it's #2 that we're still having difficulty with. We'll keep doing what we're doing. Hubby has the next two days off so he'll probably spend more time with Frankie as I am stuck at work with not much to do........

Thanks so much for your reply and support!!

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Tobyo - I was just reading through your posts and it sounds like you have experienced quite the Saga with Frankie. The thing that stood out to me most was his health problems with crystals, and possibly stress. I have found in the past that it is really hard to retrain litter box habits while a cat is sick. Has your vet given you an approximate timeline for how long it will take Frankie's crystals to dissolve on the new diet? When does she want to schedule the recheck for?
Yea....I did get the humane society to extend our "return by" time but I'm really hoping it works out because we all just adore this very affectionate cat!! So we have until the beginning of January instead of the beginning of December.

It sounds like the crystals probably formed due to the stress of being moved into our house. He did have two periods of time since he's been with us where he was using the litter box successfully. After the first 4 day stint, we took him to our vet for a free check-up. Pretty sure that traumatized him and we had a few days of just pooping outside the box. Then we had 5 days straight where he used the box(we have high praise and treats every time!!), then the chimney guy came and rocked his world last week. He's been in confinement ever since.

The vet didn't say too much, just had us give him urinary food which he's now been on since last Thursday. All she said was that if things are going well to bring him back for a re-check in 3-4 months. Frankie was only mad (and stressed) the first night of confinement. He lights up for us whenever we visit and just purrs, purrs, purrs and rubs himself against our legs and sometimes reaches his paws up onto our chests and rubs his face against ours. I've never had a cat do that and I love it!!

Thanks so much for your reply and queries. I'm really hoping that we can let him out a little bit this weekend but of course that depends on him pooping in the box without help.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea....I did get the humane society to extend our "return by" time but I'm really hoping it works out because we all just adore this very affectionate cat!! So we have until the beginning of January instead of the beginning of December.

It sounds like the crystals probably formed due to the stress of being moved into our house. He did have two periods of time since he's been with us where he was using the litter box successfully. After the first 4 day stint, we took him to our vet for a free check-up. Pretty sure that traumatized him and we had a few days of just pooping outside the box. Then we had 5 days straight where he used the box(we have high praise and treats every time!!), then the chimney guy came and rocked his world last week. He's been in confinement ever since.

The vet didn't say too much, just had us give him urinary food which he's now been on since last Thursday. All she said was that if things are going well to bring him back for a re-check in 3-4 months. Frankie was only mad (and stressed) the first night of confinement. He lights up for us whenever we visit and just purrs, purrs, purrs and rubs himself against our legs and sometimes reaches his paws up onto our chests and rubs his face against ours. I've never had a cat do that and I love it!!

Thanks so much for your reply and queries. I'm really hoping that we can let him out a little bit this weekend but of course that depends on him pooping in the box without help.
I hope things work out for you. My own vet a few years ago suggested I feed my own cystitis kitty the Hills C/D Stress diet. It's good for urinary care, but also has some extra ingredients added to reduce stress in cats like tryptophan, which is the ingredient in turkey that makes you sleepy. You might want to ask your vet about it.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope things work out for you. My own vet a few years ago suggested I feed my own cystitis kitty the Hills C/D Stress diet. It's good for urinary care, but also has some extra ingredients added to reduce stress in cats like tryptophan, which is the ingredient in turkey that makes you sleepy. You might want to ask your vet about it.
she prescribed Amitriptyline for his stress. He's been on it since Saturday and honestly I am not sure how I'm going to tell if it is helping because of his wonderful demeanor. Maybe in a couple of weeks we can have a neighbor come by to visit with him and see how he does. I will keep that food in mind and ask about it, assuming this works out and we get to take him for a re-check in a few months. Thanks for pointing it out!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure about a make-shift litterbox in the sink because he's sleeping in the sink. I think the peeing outside the litter box was because hubby forgot to feed him. He's usually good about peeing in the box, it's #2 that we're still having difficulty with.
I am just amazed that he will sleep where he poops. That was why I suggested the make-shift litter box for the sink - more so for his pooping issue than the (hopefully) isolated pee incidents. If you did try such a thing, do you already have some sort of bed for him that he just doesn't use, or would you need to get one to see if you would be able to transition him from the make-shift sink box to the bed?

Of course, some cats don't like to be 'assigned' a bed, so a delivery box with something inside that has his smell on it might be better than spending money for a bed you have no idea will work...

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too am amazed. I'm not so sure I want to put a box in the sink. Wouldn't that encourage him to continue to go in the sink? and yes, the pee incidents are isolated incidents.

and yep, he pooped in the sink again today. seems like I JUST missed him!! hubby was busy getting pumpkins carved and set out and I wasn't home yet. I rushed downstairs to feed him about 30-40 minutes later than usual.....

I forgot to call the behavior people at the humane society, going to do so tomorrow and see what they think.

Last edited:

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is what my vet friend told me "He poops where he sleeps? That’s odd. Looks like you will need to confine him into an even smaller space, like a dog crate. He needs to learn to use the litter box. This isn’t helping if he’s not using the litter box."

had a feeling this was probably coming.....not real happy about this. but my vet friend says it will work, we just have to be consistent.

I am going to keep this up to date in case there are others out there will litter box issues and hopefully it will help you as well.

now where am I going to find a crate?? maybe my vet has one I can borrow? really would rather not buy a crate.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
for tonight we are trying water in the sink and a few more litter boxes. I put the box that he first used successfully for 4 days straight in there along with another with cat attract litter. I gave him a box with new Tidy Cat litter as well. my vet friend said if he's consistently using the boxes while water is in the sink then we don't have to crate him. please God let this work...........

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
my vet friend said if he's consistently using the boxes while water is in the sink then we don't have to crate him. please God let this work...........
I so hope this works. I would hate to see his space get any smaller!!! What about a 'replacement bed' (in lieu of sink); did you vet friend mention that part?

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I so hope this works. I would hate to see his space get any smaller!!! What about a 'replacement bed' (in lieu of sink); did you vet friend mention that part?
she only mentioned a bed when talking about crating him. After the first night when we had a comforter on the floor for him that he pooped on, I took that out of the room. guessing he sleeps on the floor when he poops in the sink.

and the water did not stay in the sink, the stopper does not work and I am a bit more discouraged because, yep, he pooped in the sink again.

We were hoping for a cat that we could enjoy and so far the last month has been mostly hell. Hubby is even losing faith which says a lot. I asked my friend how long she thinks this might take and she didn't really know but said "it could take weeks or months". We all really adore him but MONTHS of this?!?!?!? I'm already exhausted. Of course we have no way of knowing how long this will really take.

I do really appreciate your help and everyone else who has commented here. I just don't think I have it in me to continue and it breaks my heart because he is such a sweetheart...........