New Here With Newly Adopted Adult Cat, Frankie

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well....even if I did have a whatchamacallit........he can't see out the window in the bathroom as it's a glass block type so not really a window at all. Or did you mean once we move him to our main level?
Awh, OK. And there goes my reading comprehension skills! ... :lol:

Now I get it! I was just thinking about giving the boy something else to keep his mind occupied / busy (if there was a window).

Sorry for the confusion.

Pops

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no problem. This morning I was about to leave for work and I heard Frankie making a racket down there so I had to go look whereas normally I don't have time. He was in there moving his food dish around? He's so goofy!!

but now that you mention something to keep his mind occupied: the humane society behavior guy suggested toys that release food? And I haven't been able to find those, unless they're there in the store and I haven't seen them? I think I will try again on Friday and then maybe ask someone at the store. Thanks for the suggestion though!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Yeah, that sounds like Frankie is 1.) celebrating his basement freedom by playing with his food dish, and 2.) is bored and needs some toys!!

Here is an article that gives reviews of some of the cat treat toy dispensers.

Cat Treat Toy Dispensers Reviews - Playing And Getting Treats As Reward

You could look up the ones you like and see where they might be sold that is nearby you - or order them online.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Yeah, that sounds like Frankie is 1.) celebrating his basement freedom by playing with his food dish, and 2.) is bored and needs some toys!!

Here is an article that gives reviews of some of the cat treat toy dispensers.

Cat Treat Toy Dispensers Reviews - Playing And Getting Treats As Reward

You could look up the ones you like and see where they might be sold that is nearby you - or order them online.
Oh excellent!! Thanks so much! Even when he's no longer confined he'll want to play so yea........thanks!

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh yea, btw........he does have toys in there, just not the treat dispensing kind. and he does play with the toys too. when we've let him out he's not interested in playing with toys as there's too much stimulation by just roaming from room to room. He even found the spot next to the fireplace where he can walk on top of the ceiling tiles. So far he hasn't done that ;) He just climbs up there because he can! he's so cute.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night we decided to let Frankie roam our main level. He sure is a roamer!! Every time we have let him roam freely, that's what he does. He doesn't play with toys or lie down and just hang out, he's always roaming. I expect that will stop some day?

It's interesting that he keeps going back to his "studio apartment". Hubby thinks we should always leave a litter box in there now. Frankie feels safe in there I suppose. When I went down to feed him dinner he still had food leftover from lunch so I didn't put his dinner in his dish. about an hour into his next level of freedom hubby went looking and found him by his empty dish so he fed him his dinner and then it was bedtime. More progress and then this weekend we're going to let him roam the two levels for a longer period of time since we'll be able to keep an eye on him. Here's hoping for his continued success!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Things sound like they are going very well!!! I am so glad to hear it!

I agree with your hubby - leave a litterbox in his studio apartment for sure.

Btw, the roaming - perfectly normal. When I moved Tawny from an apartment to a house, I swear he was pretty much MIA for the first few weeks! So much more room to search, smell, get familiar with! Also, to find little hiding places. So, I am not surprised that right now Frankie is spending more time roaming the 'newer' areas than he is with playing or anything else.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving! I just got done cleaning up! And thought I'd give an update and a new photo.

We decided to let Frankie roam the main level a day earlier: Wednesday. I took the afternoon off to start the feast prep and we let Frankie keep me company. Ha ha!! He spent his two hours going back and forth from the dining room window to the living room window, fascinated with the birds in the trees and shrubs. Ah, a cat's life huh? Wish all I had to do was stare out the window, but I digress :)

Then yesterday he had rule of the entire house. Why not? We were all here and all we were doing was cooking and getting ready for our turkey feast. So far, so good with the darling boy. He does disappear from time to time and when we go looking for him we find him in our "band room", the room with the dart board. That was his second room he was confined to and I guess he feels safe in there? We also decided to put the kiddie gate at the top of the stairs to the basement for when our friend was here to eat with us. I didn't want Frankie to freak out over a new person. He came to the top of the stairs at one point and I had our friend go greet him. Just to familiarize him with another person that comes over and that went okay.

The roaming has pretty much stopped. And he is so much happier being free. Of course!! We've still been putting him "to bed" overnight in his studio apartment and I'm not sure how long to keep that up. Maybe this weekend? Does anyone have any opinions on that? His only accident in the last two weeks was caused, we think, by us forgetting to clean his boxes. So we have to pay attention to that big time with this guy I guess.

Thanks for any opinions/advice on trusting him overnight. Here's Frankie on Thanksgiving Day:

IMG_0151.JPG

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Frankie is sooooo pretty!! It also sounds like Frankie has 'graduated' to the next level! So glad to hear this.

I would think that you could stop putting him to bed in the studio apartment, but that is your call when you feel ready. And, if there is a way to give him a second bed area - wherever you would like to try to get him to sleep (which probably won't work, never does much when you try to pick a location for your cat - they always want to be somewhere else!), I would set that area up ahead of time and introduce him to it.

Are you planning on letting him have free reign to go back his studio apartment at night, if he so chooses?

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we weren't really planning anything. since we have never done this before, we don't have a clue how this works. we're just hopeful that we're nearing the end of this portion of Frankie's life :)

hubby just put Frankie to bed and he's saying maybe this could be the last night he needs to be confined? no idea.

oh as to your bed idea, pretty sure a designated spot isn't going to work. before we confined him he had slept with me the previous three nights. before that I am having trouble remembering where he slept :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe he'll just go back to sleeping with you! That's what my Feeby does! I tell her it's time for bed, she goes for a midnight snack, and then heads for the bed!