New Here With Newly Adopted Adult Cat, Frankie

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he HAS used the box successfully for 4 days in a row the first week and 5 days in a row the second week
Oh my goodness, little one, you have both a fan club and a cheerleading section!!! :vibes: :cheerleader: :crossfingers:

Prozac, maybe?

No worries, my auto (spelling) correct drives me bonkers sometimes :bat:

He did start drinking again
Thank goodness, and I'm so glad we're helping you through this - I had to chuckle when you said you weren't that busy at work -
Hang in there!!
:hangin:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This all sounds very good!!! Royal Canin SO comes in both dry and canned, so I do both for Feeby. I also interchange that with Hill's CD in both dry and canned as well. There is also a urinary health food - both dry and canned - made by Purina. So, that might be another option for you.

Just to give you some encouragement: Feeby had bladder stones so badly that she had to have surgery 8 years ago. That was when she was put on the above urinary health foods - and she has been stone free since!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, little one, you have both a fan club and a cheerleading section!!! :vibes: :cheerleader: :crossfingers:

Prozac, maybe?

No worries, my auto (spelling) correct drives me bonkers sometimes :bat:

Thank goodness, and I'm so glad we're helping you through this - I had to chuckle when you said you weren't that busy at work -
Hang in there!!
:hangin:
It wasn't prozac. I'll come back later and let you know what it was, much longer word than prozac and that's all I remember.

yea, work........it's one big reason I am looking for another job. I keep asking and asking and ASKING for things to do, alas..........here's what I get stuck with: scheduling staff meeting because my boss doesn't like to?!?!?!?! I'm a flipping FINANCE MANAGER not your Administrative Assistant!!! And this takes all of about 5 minutes........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This all sounds very good!!! Royal Canin SO comes in both dry and canned, so I do both for Feeby. I also interchange that with Hill's CD in both dry and canned as well. There is also a urinary health food - both dry and canned - made by Purina. So, that might be another option for you.

Just to give you some encouragement: Feeby had bladder stones so badly that she had to have surgery 8 years ago. That was when she was put on the above urinary health foods - and she has been stone free since!!!!!
Yes, I am feeling more encouraged today. And thanks for that story about Feeby. She's so lucky to have you!!! Thanks for the food tips too. I bought the 17 lb bag that they had (someone just purchased the smaller bag yesterday, figures!!!) and I asked if it would stay fresh and she said yes as long as I keep the bag closed. Well, duh :biggrin: And I got a couple of cans too. At least we're stocked for food for probably a good two months!! After this food is gone perhaps one of your suggestions would be cheaper and I'll check with the vet to see if they are comparable. Guessing they are but I'll feel better asking the vet.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG DUH!!!! I've got the dang prescription with me! Can you say STRESSED?!?!?! yea buddy. It's Amitriptyline that the vet prescribed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ah, gotcha.

If you see the water consumption get questionable again, you could still try adding water to the food.

(Oh, I so know what you're talking about re; the job thing - hang in there!!)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know that the Hills C/D is no cheaper than Royal Canin SO. Not sure about the Purina. They do stay pretty fresh in their bags, from my experience. You might want to buy more of the canned and use it a few times a week, at least. Feeby gets 1/3 of a can for dinner daily, along with her dry all day - as she prefers to graze a little over a huge number of hours. Can't really leave canned out for more than about 4 hours.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a quick note, if you want to leave canned food out for longer you could set up a dish arrangement where there is an ice pack underneath the food dish.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a quick note, if you want to leave canned food out for longer you could set up a dish arrangement where there is an ice pack underneath the food dish.
He gobbles down ALL his wet food all at once, so no worries about it going bad in the dish :biggrin:

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know that the Hills C/D is no cheaper than Royal Canin SO. Not sure about the Purina. They do stay pretty fresh in their bags, from my experience. You might want to buy more of the canned and use it a few times a week, at least. Feeby gets 1/3 of a can for dinner daily, along with her dry all day - as she prefers to graze a little over a huge number of hours. Can't really leave canned out for more than about 4 hours.
He loves his wet food and we'll continue to give it to him in the morning. I had been giving it to him in the evening too due to his weight (he's slightly overweight) and then wondered if that was too much wet food and was it causing the loose stools? Probably not....so I think I will give him some canned food this evening. I feel pretty certain that he'll like it. Oh, the vet did say that we should regulate how much he eats, again, due to his weight. and apparently cats really like this food and if we leave some in his dish he'll gobble it down? Guess we'll see. She sent the food home with instructions on how much that I need to read later......

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby is overweight, but I have to coax, coddle, and prod her to eat the 1/3 canned in less than 2-3 hours. It might be because she got the dry for a long time before I was smart enough to start feeding her the wet as well. Although she does look forward to getting it. I did that because the wet is less calories and obviously has more moisture. When I did start to give it to her, it did not change the firmness of her stools.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feeby is overweight, but I have to coax, coddle, and prod her to eat the 1/3 canned in less than 2-3 hours. It might be because she got the dry for a long time before I was smart enough to start feeding her the wet as well. Although she does look forward to getting it. I did that because the wet is less calories and obviously has more moisture. When I did start to give it to her, it did not change the firmness of her stools.
I gave him two spoonfuls which looked like maybe 1/4 of the can and he gobbled it all right down. yay Frankie! I gave him fresh, filtered from the fridge, water and he had a good long drink too. then I put 1/4 cup of the dry in his dish because he likes a little kibble after his wet food and he doesn't eat it all. so there's some for overnight. our previous cat was also overweight and that's where we learned about the lower in calories canned food. Frankie needs to lose 3 lbs. First vet said 2, this one said 3.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Frankie update: tonight is his 6th night of confinement and he still lights up when any of us visit.

Frankie finally pooped in the box this morning but it was awfully small. Even so, I rewarded him both vocally and I gave him treats. That seems to work, at least it did until the chimney guy disrupted Frankie’s world. His last BM was overnight Thursday and he pooped in the sink :( and there were pieces of it on the floor. I hope he doesn't poop in the sink again. but if he does, this time I closed the drain to make clean-up easier. I'm thinking we'll let him out for an hour or so in another room in the basement, after one week is up, so maybe Wednesday evening, and see what happens. For confinement times I've read/heard at least 72 hours, a week is better and I've also read two weeks too. This is all new to me!

He’s in pretty good spirits and doesn’t whine to be let out. The only meows I hear are when I wake up and going to the bathroom. He can hear me since I’m right above him. Gosh I hope this works!!

Last edited:

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty discouraged this morning. My fear that he would poop in the sink again came to fruition.

Why won't he poop in the box without encouragement?? I got him to go yesterday morning but I had to prompt him. He pees regularly in the box but not #2. I'm not sure how much longer I can do this :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear that. I can't recall if you tried two litter boxes for him - one for pee and one for poop. I've been lucky with my cats using the same box for both, but others on this site have said they have cats that won't.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he's used one for both. I did have two boxes in there with him but since the room is kinda small I took one out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Totally understand. When you had two in the room, did you happen to notice any sort of pattern of him using one for pee and the other for #2? And, if I remember correctly, you were saying he has used the single box for #2 but only when you've 'encouraged' him to do so?

If he is not going anywhere else other than the sink for the most part, it would seem there he has an aversion to using that box for both. That being the case, despite the small quarters, it might be worth trying to put the 2nd box back in there for a while. I know it makes everything crowded, but at least you could rule out or confirm that two boxes are the way to go. If that proves NOT to be the problem, then it is on to the next possible solution - which right now, I am not sure what that would be, but other members will have some ideas about that when the time comes.

Is he doing OK otherwise?

Last edited: