New Here With Newly Adopted Adult Cat, Frankie

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your reply!! He only had soft stools when he was stressed. they've since turned solid, thankfully! Interesting about the wood pellet litter. I will have to check into that. Where do you find that? Frankie also doesn't seem to like the clumping kind and yes, drat, drat, drat! It's so much easier to clean but I will bow to his wishes and get whatever he likes which seems to be Tidy Cat non-clumping. but you've piqued my curiosity about the wood pellet litter so I may try that too.

I really think Frankie's litter box issues have been medical. The previous owners returned him when he was having accidents and I am pretty sure that was due to him having a parasite because the humane society treated him for giardia as soon as he arrived at their shelter. Then he formed crystals in his urine due to the stress of moving into our house. Oh and btw, he definitely IS a very clean cat! You can tell that he spends time grooming himself. When we started this confinement and he had those loose stools, it was on his tail but by the next day he had cleaned that all up!! And I've always heard that a well groomed cat is a happy cat. So your cat that spends a lot of time cleaning himself up means he's a happy sort :cool2:
I can find them easily at most farm stores and usually home improvement type stores. :hellocomputer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 3 success!!!! On to day 4. YAY FRANKIE!!! :yess::yess::yess:

He's so darn cute :)

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 4 success!!!! On to day 5. YAY FRANKIE!!! :yess::yess::yess:

I'm thinking hubby is going to try and convince me to let him out into another room Saturday (day 6) instead of Sunday which would be a full week. My vet friend said one week and another friend said the same. We shall see!!!

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! The debate has already begun! Hubby wants to let him out TONIGHT!! He said something about 3 days and then I remembered that the behavior guy at the humane society said he should be confined at a minimum for 72 hours, IDEALLY a week. so that's where the 3 days comes from. I asked another friend(another cat person) yesterday for her opinion and she said we could probably let him out but to keep an eye on him and then put him back in his room overnight. I suspect we might do that this evening.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No to day 5...........he pooped on top of the foil that was on top of the upside down litter box in the sink. This is really pretty aggravating at this point. I asked hubby "what's next? the crate?" and he said "no crate". This was all in text since I'm at work and he's at home so I guess we'll be talking about what's next when I get home.

I am sorry to say that I am ready to return him. Breaks my heart but I was hoping to have an enjoyable pet. None of this has been enjoyable.

Heartbroken :(:(:(

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish Jackson Galaxy would see this thread, then throw in his thoughts. May be even place Frankie in one of his episodes.

I totally understand the frustration! I was behind this laptop, cheering the little guy on!

Pops

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it even remotely possible that he had to go before the box was cleaned out (even if it was only pee)???? Some cats just HATE a box with anything in it. Since he went in the box for 4 days, I am hoping Day 5 failure was because the box wasn't cleaned out in time. Although many cats can get into a daily routine of when they pee and poop, not all do - and, even those that typically go around the same time during the day can have a change in habit now and again.

Confer with your hubby and look for ANYTHING that might have just slightly changed. Maybe he got less attention (unintentionally) on the days he used his box?

4 days is a great start! And, tbh, even if he would manage to get 7 days in a row does NOT mean there won't be a few more stumbles after that. You have to understand, this could take months. Not saying that to discourage you, or encourage you to give him away - just the opposite. I am saying it because if you work at this long enough, you will succeed. From everything you've said he IS enjoyable otherwise.

Last edited:

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it even remotely possible that he had to go before the box was cleaned out (even if it was only pee)???? Some cats just HATE a box with anything in it. Since he went in the box for 4 days, I am hoping Day 5 failure was because the box wasn't cleaned out in time. Although many cats can get into a daily routine of when they pee and poop, not all do - and, even those that typically go around the same time during the day can have a change in habit now and again.

Confer with your hubby and look for ANYTHING that might have just slightly changed. Maybe he got less attention (unintentionally) on the days he used his box?

4 days is a great start! And, tbh, even if he would manage to get 7 days in a row does NOT mean there won't be a few more stumbles after that. You have to understand, this could take months. Not saying that to discourage you, or encourage you to give him away - just the opposite. I am saying it because if you work at this long enough, you will succeed. From everything you've said he IS enjoyable otherwise.
I cleaned the three dirty boxes yesterday evening so, good thought, but that's not it. There's no way he peed that much in any of the three boxes to make it undesirable.

Here is what I wonder: he has NOT pooped in the box in between visits. I am wondering if he's "saving" it for when someone is there so that he gets a treat and those occasions when he poops outside the box, is it because he can't hold it any longer and then just poops where he happens to be? And if that's the case, how is this going to work assuming we're able to let him out?

As to your last paragraph: my vet friend also said it could take months and that there will be setbacks. I just don't know that I have any more in me to go on like this, especially since hubby is saying NO to the crate.

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish Jackson Galaxy would see this thread, then throw in his thoughts. May be even place Frankie in one of his episodes.

I totally understand the frustration! I was behind this laptop, cheering the little guy on!

Pops
thank you.