New Cat Hiding Under The Bed.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well she let me pet her last night. I just laid on the floor and hend my hand out and she eventually started getting closer and gradually let me pet her and then got really cuddly and was walking in circles and rolling on the floor. She pretty much stayed under the bed still but came out from under it a few times and then went back. She’s a really sweet kitty.
That's really good progress. I think many cats crave human interaction and contact but they have trust issues to let you pet them. Just let her keep coming to you and pretty soon she will be greeting you at the door.

re: vet - unless it is urgent, let it wait.

ellaandbosie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw, what a sweetheart! She looks like the little dragon Toothless from that movie-- only with fur!
Let me know how Feliway works for you. With most cats it's awesome, but some just don't react to it. Must be something about their genetics...
I'd second Felis' and Duncan's posts. If she's otherwise fine, the vet can wait until she's somewhat de-traumatised... I think another car ride would undo all that great progress you made with petting her! :)

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, what a sweetheart! She looks like the little dragon Toothless from that movie-- only with fur!
Let me know how Feliway works for you. With most cats it's awesome, but some just don't react to it. Must be something about their genetics...
I'd second Felis' and Duncan's posts. If she's otherwise fine, the vet can wait until she's somewhat de-traumatised... I think another car ride would undo all that great progress you made with petting her! :)
The movie is How to Train Your Dragon :) and yeah now that you mention it I see it too lol!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NadiasDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescheduled the vet appointment for next Thursday so I will continue to work on her until then.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I rescheduled the vet appointment for next Thursday so I will continue to work on her until then.
Good plan, soon you can begin the adventure of finding out the likes and dislikes of your cat.

Some things to try eventually:
-cat grass
-catnip
-catnip spray
-fishing rod style toys
-bouncy foam balls
-brushing her fur

Etc, etc

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well she let me pet her last night. I just laid on the floor and hend my hand out and she eventually started getting closer and gradually let me pet her and then got really cuddly and was walking in circles and rolling on the floor.
Awww... that's great. :hearthrob: :petcat: :catlove: :hearthrob:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she let me pet her last night. I just laid on the floor and hend my hand out and she eventually started getting closer and gradually let me pet her and then got really cuddly and was walking in circles and rolling on the floor. She pretty much stayed under the bed still but came out from under it a few times and then went back. She’s a really sweet kitty.

One thing I’m wondering about is I have a vet appointment set for after work but I told them I might have to reschedule if she won’t come out. I think I can gently grab her if I lure her out like I did last night but I’m worried I would damage the trust I’m building. Her health is important though. I don’t think she has any health problems because the shelter had a vet check her and they spayed her and vaccinated her. Just wondering if I should get the vet visit over with or wait.
Such a wonderful update! Wow!

NadiasDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I know how to get her to let me pet her. I just lay on the floor next to the bed and hold my hand out until she comes to me. She pretty much stays under the bed though and will come out briefly to roll around while I´m petting her but then runs back under. She came out and explored the apartment a bit, walking low to the ground, while I was in the kitchen area, but when I tried to slowly walk towards her she ran under the bed again. So it seems that when i´m standing up, she is afraid of me. Its only when i´m lying down that she feels more comfortable with me, but still tries to stick close to under the bed which is apparently her safe space.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
So I know how to get her to let me pet her. I just lay on the floor next to the bed and hold my hand out until she comes to me. She pretty much stays under the bed though and will come out briefly to roll around while I´m petting her but then runs back under. She came out and explored the apartment a bit, walking low to the ground, while I was in the kitchen area, but when I tried to slowly walk towards her she ran under the bed again. So it seems that when i´m standing up, she is afraid of me. Its only when i´m lying down that she feels more comfortable with me, but still tries to stick close to under the bed which is apparently her safe space.
It’s adorable when they do the low to the ground “army crawl” as I like to call, isn’t it? When my Maine Coon used to do that who is like a big rug running around it was adorable seeing a brown floof crawling along the floor real quick back to their safe zone.

NadiasDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s adorable when they do the low to the ground “army crawl” as I like to call, isn’t it? When my Maine Coon used to do that who is like a big rug running around it was adorable seeing a brown floof crawling along the floor real quick back to their safe zone.
Oh yeah. I just want her to feel relaxed though. I have a feeling she has been exploring a bit while i´m away. Last night I went to the neighbors for a half hour and when I came back a picture frame from the top of my bookshelf was on the floor. So I think she´s mainly nervous around me, when I´m standing up.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah. I just want her to feel relaxed though. I have a feeling she has been exploring a bit while i´m away. Last night I went to the neighbors for a half hour and when I came back a picture frame from the top of my bookshelf was on the floor. So I think she´s mainly nervous around me, when I´m standing up.
LOL yeah you will need to think outside the box soon and “catify” your home if you don’t want too many things broken :p.

I wonder if she has some kind of trauma with humans before she went into the shelter... probably not but who knows. Did you ask how they got her? Surrender or capture? You can always call now and inquire. My one rescue was living on the streets for a few years before they caught her and she was in miserable health.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sit near the opening under the bed so that she can see you but don't necessarily face her. Turn yourself about 45 degrees away. Just sit there. Don't do anything for a long time. Don't look directly at her.

After a while, start to read a book or surf the internet on your iPad or something. Basically, ignore the cat.

Looking directly at a cat is often interpreted as a threat. Cats usually only look directly at their prey when hunting. If you look directly at a cat, she might think that you are hunting her. Never look directly at a cat unless you are friends with it.

By the time you have spent a good, half-hour sitting and pretending to ignore the cat, she should be starting to get the idea that you aren't trying to eat her. You can start moving around a little bit as long as you don't make any sudden moves or noises.

Maybe you can straighten up the room a little bit. (or pretend to straighten up the room) Do something like you would normally do. Just do it quietly. No sudden noises or moves.

You're trying to give the cat the idea that the humans move about the house and do things that aren't directed at the cat. Maybe you occasionally drop something or make a noise but that's okay. Again, you're teaching the cat that things happen.

After a while, leave the room and don't come back for a long time. A couple of hours, at least. Then, later, go back in and do the whole routine all over again. You can peek in and see what the cat is up to but don't intrude.

If the cat is calm and doesn't look scared, you can talk to her. Tell her that she's a "good kitty" and all that sort of thing. Use her name. Tell her that she has a good home and that she's safe and warm and that you'll always feed her and take care of her. Say whatever but just talk so that she learns your voice.

After your have talked to her for a while, say "bye bye" and leave again.

During one of these visits, she'll likely venture out and start circling you.

**DO NOT** reach out and try to touch her! Like the old saying says: "Let the cat come to you."

The cat will probably circle around behind you. Just sit there and let her circle. You can hold your hand out and she might come over and rub herself on you.

The secret to petting a new cat is not to pet the cat but to let the cat pet itself on you.

Say "hello" and sweet talk her for a minute or two.

If you think she trusts you enough to let you pet her, go ahead and do it gently.

When Casper was new, I did this kind of thing every day for almost a week before he would reliably come out from under the bed for any length of time. She stayed under there for a good, couple-three days only coming out to use the litter box and eat... mostly at night while the humans were asleep.

I went in and sat with him a couple of times then he came out to explore the house while the humans were awake but would go back under the bed after a few minutes.

It took more than two weeks for Casper to move about the house, normally, while the humans were there. So, don't expect your new cat to come out on a reliable basis any sooner than that... maybe even longer. YMMV.

BTW: We got Casper in December, right after Christmas but we didn't take him for his first visit to the vet until March. We got him from the Animal Welfare Society and he had a clean bill of health when we adopted him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So it seems that when i´m standing up, she is afraid of me. Its only when i´m lying down that she feels more comfortable with me, but still tries to stick close to under the bed which is apparently her safe space.
You probably already read this from the article 10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat but tip 4 addresses the standing up issue.

4. Spend time on the floor
When you can, find a comfortable spot on the rug and just spend time with your cat when in that position. You can play with your cat, or just be there, talking quietly on the phone or reading a book. You may find Kitty coming over to interact and be petted, as she feels safer with you being at ground level. This technique is used by people to socialize feral cats and it works well with shy cats too.

ellaandbosie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad she's getting to be a little more comfortable!! :)
I've found that a lot of cats, especially abandoned or formerly feral cats do seem to be somewhat afraid of humans walking around. Maybe she's afraid of getting kicked, maybe it's just your size? The more shy cats at the shelter I volunteer at are all peachy until I stand up, then they retreat instantly.

I think what Caspers Human Caspers Human said is excellent advice! Good luck with your little fur dragon baby! :petcat:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
So glad she's getting to be a little more comfortable!! :)
I've found that a lot of cats, especially abandoned or formerly feral cats do seem to be somewhat afraid of humans walking around. Maybe she's afraid of getting kicked, maybe it's just your size? The more shy cats at the shelter I volunteer at are all peachy until I stand up, then they retreat instantly.

I think what Caspers Human Caspers Human said is excellent advice! Good luck with your little fur dragon baby! :petcat:
I mean it is understandable... we are giants compared to them!

If someone 10x taller suddenly stood up in front of me, I would be retreating as well.

NadiasDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We’ve made some progress this weekend. I can sit upright and she doesn’t get scared and she comes to me and lets me pet her. And I even stood up very slowly and she just hung out by my feet and wasn’t frightened. She likes to play with the rope toy and I got her to go to various places in the room with that. She seems to be getting a little less frightened and more trusting every day.

Attachments

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s nice seeing a picture of her with good lighting, we can behold her in all of her beauty :purr:

NadiasDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We make a little progress every day. She likes playing with the rope toy so I have been able to draw her out to different parts of the apartment with that. She still uses under the bed as her home base though. And she is still nervous when I’m standing up but this morning I got her to walk across the room to me and let me pet her just by crouching down and holding my hand out.

Attachments