New Cat Hiding Under The Bed.

NadiasDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a new cat from a shelter on Sunday and she has been hiding under the bed ever since. She does come out to use the litter box and I put some food and water under the bed and hear her consuming them at night. But I want her to feel comfortable coming out and I really want to get to know her. She was really sweet at the shelter. It’s only been 3 days but I’m struggling to be patient. How can I make her feel comfortable with me?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This behavior is quite common. Give her time and dont force her, let her get comfortable in her own time. Her new home is strange, smells are new and so are you.
Put something that smells of you, towel, worn clothes, near where she stays. Sit in the room and softly read allowed so she gets used to your voice. Your patience will pay off. Please keep us posted.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Ditto to what V verna davies said. I have had cats warm up to me in 5 seconds and on the other spectrum I have had cats who have taken up to 2-3 weeks.

For most shelter cats we don’t know their history when adopting them, they could have been abused/mistreated by humans in their prior home or on the street if they were a stray.

The sheter might have had pheromone diffusers in place that keeps them calm. Also she is in a new environment with lots and lots of new smells. Cats sense of smells are much better than ours and right now she is overwhelmed.

You must be patient, show her lots of love and eventually she will bond with you :)!

Keep us updated and feel free to ask any questions you have!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NadiasDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I’ll just be patient. This morning I found an 8 hour video of birds on YouTube and left it playing on my iPad for her. She came out for a bit until she saw me and went back under. She should have fun watching that today.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok I’ll just be patient. This morning I found an 8 hour video of birds on YouTube and left it playing on my iPad for her. She came out for a bit until she saw me and went back under. She should have fun watching that today.
Cat channels are great! You could also try fish swimming back and forth :).

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
My one cat absolutely loves this one:

The others don’t, it’s a hit or miss. Just need to put in the effort and love to find out what your special little kitty likes.

Some of mine love cat grass, others hate it.
One loves catnip spray, others couldn’t care less.

It’s part of the adventure of living with cats :).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on the new kitty. :bouquet:
I'm guessing her name is "Nadia", and you're her "Dad". :petcat:

As others have posted, it isn't unusual for cats to hide when first brought to their new home. Here's an older TCS thread called What Was Your Cat's Behavior Like In The First Day? which you might find interesting.

Here, also, are some TCS articles you might find helpful:
First-time Cat Owner's Guide
Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?

Good luck with her. Please post pics of her, when you can. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

ellaandbosie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:thumbsup: to all the excellent advice given already!

Also don't be discouraged if she's a little more outgoing one day and hides the next-- sometimes it's one step forward and two steps back. Just continue to be patient, don't force her out of her hiding places and show her you're available when she comes out to interact with you.
I'll also second Feliway, I used the transport spray with Bosie and he was MUCH less shaken by the car ride than I'd previously witnessed with him.

:goodluck:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Aww! She’s so pretty! Like others have said, patience is key. Cats will often be timid for the first few days when they’re in a new environment, so this is nothing unusual. I would recommend spending time in the same room with her, reading out loud, and talking to her softly, to help her get used to your voice. You can also put some of your (slightly dirty) clothes under the bed for her to become accustomed to your smell. Let her approach you; don’t force her to come out from hiding before she’s ready. Don’t worry, she’ll be fully integrated into your home before you know it.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Give her time. She will come to you in her own time, under her own terms. I had one before whom I rescued from the street and who I could not see when I get in the house, but I know she was lurking in there somewhere. After a couple of weeks she slowly inched her way to me. In the end, she became the sweetest cat I have ever known in my lifetime. I miss her terribly.

NadiasDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I bought a Feliway diffuser last night and plugged it in so hopefully that will help.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I bought a Feliway diffuser last night and plugged it in so hopefully that will help.
Awesome! It should help yes. Not all cats react to them I believe, but all of mine have.

NadiasDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she let me pet her last night. I just laid on the floor and hend my hand out and she eventually started getting closer and gradually let me pet her and then got really cuddly and was walking in circles and rolling on the floor. She pretty much stayed under the bed still but came out from under it a few times and then went back. She’s a really sweet kitty.

One thing I’m wondering about is I have a vet appointment set for after work but I told them I might have to reschedule if she won’t come out. I think I can gently grab her if I lure her out like I did last night but I’m worried I would damage the trust I’m building. Her health is important though. I don’t think she has any health problems because the shelter had a vet check her and they spayed her and vaccinated her. Just wondering if I should get the vet visit over with or wait.