New Cat Behavior Concerns

mtbe2293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

Approximately 48 hours ago (Saturday afternoon), I brought home a 4 year old(ish) female cat from my local SPCA. The shelter knew very little about her history, she was brought in on March 31st by a woman who found her in her neighborhood after the cat (Biscuit) approached her for affection. Biscuit was pregnant when she was brought to the shelter, the kittens were non-viable, and the pregnancy was terminated and she was spayed. She was living in a community room at the shelter, and was VERY relaxed in that environment. When I went in to meet her, she just laid in her cat bed and purred nonstop while getting pets and she was completely non-reactive to all the activity of the other cats around her. The shelter staff said she had just been chilling out in her cat bed since her surgery, and she was equally happy to receive pets by all staff members and visitors. Given her recent surgeries and pregnancy, we acknowledged that she was probably a bit "out of it" as she recovered.

I brought her home Saturday afternoon, she was understandably upset at being in the carrier and during the car ride home. My bedroom was her designated "safe space" (I set myself up in the living room to give her space), she immediately crawled under the bed and stayed there Saturday afternoon/night and all day Sunday. I moved her litter box and food/water bowls into the bedroom right by the bed and would go in to say hi every few hours and offer treats but wouldn't linger long. Last night (~30 hours since coming home), she woke me up making a ruckus with the blinds over the bedroom window. When I went in the bedroom, she was very agitated and trying to escape out of the 2-inch opening at the bottom of the window (there is a mesh screen in the window preventing actual escape, she also still has her cone on). She was jumping and meowing a lot and hissed when I approached to close the window. After closing it, I left the room to let her calm down, and when I went back in this morning, she was nowhere to be found. I searched my room for about 30 minutes but couldn't find her, I assume she found something non-obvious to hide behind or is squirreled away on a high shelf somewhere. She has not yet ate or drank that I can tell since coming home (not even treats left out), and hasn't used the litterbox. I also haven't seen or smelled any accidents.

So the question: when should I be concerned about the behavior, and is there anything I can do to make her less stressed? I know hiding and not eating is normal for a new and stressed kitty, but the agitated escape attempt last night coupled with the new hiding place this morning make me nervous, and I want to make sure I'm on the lookout for the right signs of real problems. I am at work all day today so she will be interruption-free today but since she moved from under the bed I don't know where to put her accessories so they're easily accessible from her spot. Thank you!!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your new Kitty just needs more time to settle in. She has had alot of changes in her daily life in such a short period of time. Maybe you could hold her in your lap petting her and talking to her calmly for reassurance . I do that often with One of my two boys. It seems too work for me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the adoption of your kitty. From reading your message, particularly the part about her trying to escape through the window, that makes me think she may have been a feral cat, as opposed to just a stray, before being rescued and taken to the shelter. Possibly not, but trying to get out a window is one thing I've read newly brought inside ferals have done.

Right now that really doesn't matter, however, finding where she is hiding, and then enticing her to eat and use the litter box, is a definite priority. Cats can't go too long without eating before the risk of developing hepatic lipidosis, aka fatty liver. Hopefully you'll find she's eaten while you've been at work today. :crossfingers:

Here's some TCS articles with more info that might be helpful. Please keep us updated on her progress, as we worry.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – TheCatSite Articles

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New cats pretty commonly don't eat for a day or two. As long as its not more than that, I'm not too concerned. Usually, they will eat at night when its quiet, so just make sure there is food. Since her safe space is the bedroom where you sleep, maybe she'll eat during the day if you leave her be a while. Maybe best to use dry since it might be sitting out for a long time.

Just a bit of a warning. Every year or two, we do get a post where a cat finds its way into the walls, and although super rare, when it does happen, its sometimes a bad situation thats tricky to resolve. Assume thats impossible, sometimes cats manage to find a way inside a box spring, which is not nearly so significant a problem, but check there to see if thats whats happening. Other than that, probably none of the hiding spots would surprise you too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mtbe2293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I found her in a void space between kitchen cabinets that I didn't know was accessible, which initially terrified me as the opening she squeezed through is far too small for me to be able to get her out. I can only get a hand in the opening with my phone to take a video of the area, it appears to be empty and completely enclosed so I don't think she's at risk of getting herself into a more obscure space. I've been sticking my phone in there every few hours to make sure she's okay and still in there. On a positive note she apparently felt safe enough in there to start eating! I put a bowl of smelly wet food outside the opening hoping to lure her out, she used a paw to pull the bowl within reach and chowed down. She ate a second bowl of the same food in the night but hasn't come all the way out of the space yet. I called a vet this morning and was told it wasn't unusual to have had no bathroom activity thus far since she hadn't eaten anything to eliminate, but that if she doesn't come out to go the the bathroom (or go in her cave) in the next 48 hours I will have to break open the cabinets to bring her to the vet. The vet's opinion this morning was that she seems to enjoy being in there and that breaking open the cabinets to pull her out now would just cause even more unnecessary stress. I am pretty confident she COULD get out if she wanted to, but the space she's in is large and dark and I think she's choosing not to come out, especially since she could get her head out to eat.

If anyone has advice contrary to the vet's, please let me know. I feel like I've failed this kitty and just want to do what is best for her at this point.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they can get in, they can almost always get out.

I don't know that the vet's 48 hours makes any sense from a health crisis perspective if the cat is now eating and you can get the cat drinking (although moist food goes a long way), but you really dont want the cat peeing and pooping in there so to some extent your on a clock. I can tell you that there have been posters in the past that have had this kind of issue linger for a lot longer, although whether that is an argument for waiting I really cant say. Once you start providing food and water inside the space, sometimes the cat doesn't come out on its own. So its a problem to be sure.

I'd stop sticking the phone in there, or do it less, as that might make the cat less comortable. Be as quiet and chill as you can. The more time there is with nothing going on, the more likely the cat will come out on its own. When a cat is hiding under the bed, sometimes folks try to lure out with toys or treats, but that might just be too difficult given your lay out.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A cat hides like this because they feel small. When they hide in a place where they cannot overlook their territory, that place keeps them feeling small and saps their self confidence. Another problem is guardians cannot get to the cat easily in case of illness, injury or emergency. Such places need to be identified and blocked off. I call them unders & behinds.

I urge you to come up with a plan to extract your cat from behind the cabinet, then block access. Identify other unders & behinds and block access to keep your cat from disappearing again. Start by blocking access to under the bed. Provide safe places for your cat hole up, places she can survey her domain, places you can easily get to her. Creating safe places for your cat is imperative.

Set up cat condos, beds, shelving, even cardboard boxes. Get creative. Put on your favorite pair of cat ears, think like a feline and have fun with creating a home that builds confidence in your cat. You don’t have to do it all at once. Take it one project at a time.

As a community, we need to start getting the word out to potential cat guardians about identifying and blocking off unders & behinds and setting up safe places before bringing their new furry friends home. This will reduce stress for human and feline alike and is what’s best for our cats.

mtbe2293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A ArtNJ thank you for the input, I'll stop sticking my phone up there but agreed that bathroom activity in the space would be a massive pain to deal with.
I've already identified panels to pull off to try to open the space if it comes to that, I don't mind if she stays in there for a long time as long as she comes out to use the litterbox (which is immediately visible if/when she comes out). I've tried to put the food in a spot where she'll be able to smell it but won't be able to reach it unless she comes out...fingers crossed and I guess now I'm just waiting...

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You don’t want your cat to stay in there a long time. The longer she stays in there, the longer it’ll take her to regain her confidence.

Start by figuring out what’s the furthest you can place her food from the opening that she’ll still come out to eat. Mark that spot with a piece of masking tape. After a few meals, move her dish further away, but not so far she won’t come out to eat. That may only be a fraction of an inch. Mark that spot. If you move the dish too far, return it to the last place she came out to eat and start again.

Stop free feeding. This won’t work if you’re free feeding. Start a feeding schedule. Three times a day is good if your work schedule allows. Feed first thing in the morning, when you come home and a bit before going to bed. Leave the food out for about an hour. If she doesn’t eat it all within an hour clean the dish and return it. A hungry cat is a teachable cat and who ever is the Keeper of the Tinned Mice has the cat’s attention.

Set up a camera so you can observe what happens remotely. You don’t have to leave. The camera is just another tool in your toolbox. You do want your cat to get to know you. Make sure you’re nothing but kitty goodness when you’re around- calm and confident.

While you’re coaxing your cat out of the closet, work on making the rest of the home more enticing to her.

Have a Plan B, just in case.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's good that she's eating, however, now that she's eating, she is going to need to use the bathroom, and you don't want her to just go somewhere in her hidey place.

So getting her out of there is top priority.

Try putting all kinds of yummy, smelly foods in the room, far enough from the opening so she has to come out. Things like sardines, tuna, maybe KFC, deli turkey, etc. Those are foods that are irresistible to most cats.

Then maybe get some Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract® Cat Litter - the litter cats love™ and see if that will get her to use the litter box.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Oh ... try playing cat meowing sounds on your phone, particularly kitten's crying, as that might make her come out to investigate.

mtbe2293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tried putting some tuna and rotisserie chicken further away from the hole last night, my security camera caught her reaching out with her paw and pulling them closer so she didn't have to get out. Tonight I'll try sticking the bowls to the ground so she can't pull them closer.
I will also try cat sounds! No bathroom activities in the hole yet, if she doesn't go (in the litter box or in the hidey space) by tomorrow I was told to bring her to the vet so will have to break her out.

Any suggestions to help her recover from the trauma of being broken out? I have to assume it will be extremely stressful to have the front walls of her hiding spot pried off by maintenance workers. Once we get back from the vet she will be shut in a more secure walk-in closet with all her accessories and I will be leaving her in there for a few days minimum.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried putting some tuna and rotisserie chicken further away from the hole last night, my security camera caught her reaching out with her paw and pulling them closer so she didn't have to get out. Tonight I'll try sticking the bowls to the ground so she can't pull them closer.
I will also try cat sounds! No bathroom activities in the hole yet, if she doesn't go (in the litter box or in the hidey space) by tomorrow I was told to bring her to the vet so will have to break her out.

Any suggestions to help her recover from the trauma of being broken out? I have to assume it will be extremely stressful to have the front walls of her hiding spot pried off by maintenance workers. Once we get back from the vet she will be shut in a more secure walk-in closet with all her accessories and I will be leaving her in there for a few days minimum.
If you have a large cage like people put dogs in that might be your best option for keeping her safe once she returns from the Veterinarian. Have one large enough for a litter box, space for food and a Place to rest. This way you can easily check on her. And she won't or shouldn't feel so isolated .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fingers crossed she'll come out once the food is too far away to reach. :crossfingers:

mtbe2293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sticking the bowls to the floor got her to come all the way out last night! She ate wet food and chicken and explored the area for a few minutes including standing up to inspect some shelves. A noise from outside made her dart back into the hole after about 5 minutes. Unfortunately, she has peed in the hole and ignored the litter box that was several feet from the food. On the plus side, vet said her visit is no longer an emergency so i don’t have to break her out today, but of course she’s still not interested in the litter box. Going to get cat attract litter today as rubysmama rubysmama suggested and continue trying to lure her out over time by gradually moving her food further and further away.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yay that she came out of the hidey hole. But nay that she peed in there. Hopefully the litter attract will work. It usually does. Depending on if she's never used a litter box before, you could also try putting a 2nd one, with non fertilized potting soil, and some leaves or twigs from outside. But hopefully the litter attract will work.

Where she's peed in the hidey hole, is it possible to reach in, when she's not there of course, and clean the spot? If so, use an enzyme cleaner. How To Remove Cat Urine | TheCatSite

mtbe2293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat attract litter worked! Thank you everyone on this thread for your ideas and guidance, now that she’s eating normally every night, using the litter box, and wandering around to explore (she made it all the way to the living room last night) I’m planning to let her keep using the hidey hole as her safe place as long as it doesn’t start to stink. Hopefully after a little more time she will be comfortable enough to make use of the 6 different cat condos/cat caves/elevated perches she can access in the rest of the house and let me figure out how to clean and block off the access to her current hide out.

mtbe2293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last question for anyone still paying attention to the thread: is it problematic that she will only come out at night and is definitely still scared of me/other noises? Is the problem only going to get worse if she continues to use the hole as her home base and only comes out at night when I’m asleep?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last question for anyone still paying attention to the thread: is it problematic that she will only come out at night and is definitely still scared of me/other noises? Is the problem only going to get worse if she continues to use the hole as her home base and only comes out at night when I’m asleep?
This particular hidey hole is unhealthy for your cat to continue to use because it’s not a confidence builder. While she’s in there, her view of her domain is blocked which keeps her feeling small. If you continue to let her hide behind the cabinet, how will you get her out if there’s an emergency such as a fire? How will you get her out if she gets injured or becomes ill?

Make a safe place for her from where she can survey a large part of her domain and you can get to her easily. Get her out from behind the cabinet and block it off! Find other behinds & unders where she can evade you and block them off as well. Otherwise, you’ll be having this problem again and again.

mtbe2293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat McCannon Cat McCannon how do you suggest I do this? The home is full of other options for her at varying elevations, locations, levels of seclusion, etc and has been since she came home. I have fostered adult cats before and understand the need for these as well as the need for safe spaces and adjustment time, but I’ve never had a cat be totally uninterested in anything but one particular hole (I also believed I had cat-proofed the house with regards to problem hiding spots prior to taking in my first foster a while ago but apparently those cats were all either too large or not inclined to find this particular hole, hence it not being blocked off already). There are toys and treats scattered about as well. However she seems to be so easily spooked and believes that the hole is her only safe space that I have no idea how to get her out of the hole long enough to block it, let alone get her to choose another option. I have tried going to block the hole while she’s out exploring at night (my security camera notifies me when it sees her moving around) but at the sound of my approach she spooks and runs right back in. Luring her out with food during the day has also been unsuccessful.

I recognize the importance of what you are saying, I have no idea how to execute.